Jun

Monday Night Open Thread

The Yankees are off tonight, so use this thread to talk about whatever your heart desires. ESPN is carrying the Phillies and Dodgers (Worley vs. Kershaw), depending on weather. Of course, the 2012 amateur draft begins tonight and I’ll be liveblogging the whole thing. Join in on the fun when the liveblog post guys up shortly. Otherwise, enjoy the thread.

Categories : Asides, Open Thread

1. Andrew says:

Watching MLB network and they just showed the top five players by WAR from the 2005 draft. Number 5 our own Brett Gardner, not too bad if I say so myself

• Mike Axisa says:

Yeah I saw that. Color me surprised.

• Brian S. says:

Can’t wait until he’s back.

• jjyank says:

That’s…awesome. I had no idea. Sweet little fact there.

• Tyrone Sharpton says:

and that’s a stacked draft. damn that either is a testament towards WAR’s flaws, or shows how valuable GGBG has been.

• jjyank says:

Probably a little of both. Gardner’s WAR is helped a lot by his UZR, and that’s certainly a flawed defense. But defense is quite important. Even if it is due to a flaw in WAR, and Gardner is really, say, the 8th best player from the draft, that’s still really awesome.

• RetroRob says:

There are flaws in WAR and there are flaws in defensive metrics, but overall I think it’s a strong endorsement that players like Gardner can contribute quite a bit to a team without have glittering power stats. It’s easy to see what the power hitter provides; not as immediately obvious for some fans to wee what a defensive/speedster type like Garnder provides.

2. Knoxvillain says:

Off days suck so much ass. Anyone following E3?

• jjyank says:

Agreed, especially when there’s two in one week. At least the draft helps.

I don’t follow E3 as it happens, but I will read up a bunch after the fact. Any surprise announcements? If there was an update on Half Life 3, I think I might die of excitement.

• Knoxvillain says:

I haven’t seen a HL 3 announcement. Nothing surprising so far. I was hoping for Grand Theft Auto V, but I guess not.

• jjyank says:

GTA 5 would be sick too. I’m rather excited for Dishonored as well, seems like a cool game. Also AC 3, I’m a total homer for this games.

• Knoxvillain says:

AC3 tops my list of games I’m gonna get this year. Black Ops 2, Hitman Absolution are the other two. GTA V will be my top pick if it does come out this year.

• jjyank says:

I’ve soured on COD games in the last couple of years, same old crap costs $60 every year? Meh. Agreed on Hitman though, Blood Money was one of my favorite games back in the day. Also very much looking forward to the next Bioshock.

3. Brian S. says:

What’s with the off day right after we just had one on Thursday? We could have used it during that 20-something game stretch in August.

• jjyank says:

Seems unnecessary, yeah, but I’m guessing it’s due to the west coast trip.

• RetroRob says:

West coast/road trip, coupled with the draft tonight. They would have had to play a day game.

• RetroRob says:

It appears there are games ongoing running against the draft, although there are only two. Games early, and a couple of games after 10:00 ET. So it appears they try to limit games, but not block them entirely.

4. kenthadley says:

Can anyone tell me how much time lapses between picks in the first round….about what time will Yanks make their pick?

5. Monterowasnotdinero says:

So what’s up with the RAB get together in DC? I will be at Friday and Sunday’s games.

6. RI$P FTW says:

‘Ace’ LOL

7. Greg says:

I also want to quickly say this. RIP Richard Dawson- Even though he might have had a huge ego he was still a great human being and emcee

8. RI$P FTW says:

Correa’s little brother is Manny from Modern Family??

9. RI$P FTW says:

So far I’ve heard on MLBN…

- the similarities are ‘uncanty’
    - next year’s collective ‘bargains’ agreement

10. Knoxvillain says:

Went to middle school with Mike Zunino and played baseball with him. Nice to see him go with the 3rd overall pick. Surprising that Appel hasn’t been grabbed yet.

• Jimmy Page says:

Why would they use the 3rd overall pick on a catcher when they have Montero????

• Knoxvillain says:

I heard that they were interested in Pineda, and wanted to dump Montero off somewhere because he can’t catch.

Just kidding, guys.

11. forensic says:

Somebody asked in one of the threads yesterday how many of Jeter’s 27 leadoff homers were on the 1st pitch. Being that I sometimes enjoy mindless research, here’s some info if anyone cares:

– 8 of his leadoff homers were on the first pitch (4 of those on the road, so the first pitch of the game), the most common count he’s done it on (there was no count listed for his first one back in 1996)
    – 18 at home, 9 on the road
    – Highest month is August with 11
    – Highest team is the Red Sox with 4
    – Done it against Bruce Chen and Barry Zito twice each
    – Yankees are 18-9 when he does it

12. JobaWockeeZ says:

Hawkins ain’t no JPP.

13. Tom says:

Jarrod Parker has a no hitter going through 7…. against the Texas Rangers.