Jul

Sunday Night Open Thread

Pretty sure Spike could outhit Russell Martin at this point. (Al Bello/Getty Images)

You can’t win ‘em all I suppose, and winning two out of three against the Angels is pretty good anyway. Plus they won the season series, so hooray for that. Anyway, here’s your open thread for the night. ESPN is in Cincinnati for the Sunday Night Game, the Cardinals at the Reds (Westbrook vs. Bailey). Breaking Bad also starts back up tonight, and that’s awesome. Talk about whatever you want here, enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. jjyank says:

I just started watching Breaking Bad from the beginning last week, about halfway through season 1. I’ve heard good things and I’m enjoying it so far. It was between that and The Wire, but Netflix doesn’t carry The Wire in instant queue, so my decision was made for me.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

What you’ve seen is basically the intro chapter. You’re not kicking into full gear until Season 3. At that point, hang on to your fucking hat.

Is it 10:00 yet?!?!?!?!?!

2. JerryNYG says:

Can’t wait for Breaking Bad. This season we get to see how far the Walt as Tony Montana parallel is going to run. Good times!

3. FIPster Doofus says:

Breaking Bad tonight. Nothing else matters.

• Deep Thoughts says:

That’s funny. “Breaking Bad” will be the title of my book on Robinson Cano and Alex Rodriguez’s baserunning.

4. jjyank says:

Also, Old School is on TBS. I fucking love that movie.

5. The Scheister of Doom says:

BREAKING. BAD. Yes! But we’re forced to watch that terrible security show to see the 4 min trailer of Walking Dead = BS. Finally, AMC needs to sign on with Hulu already so I can cancel DirecTv once and for all.

6. Mattchu12 says:

The more I think about this team, the more excited I am for the second half.

It feels like we’ve had a bumpy season, but then you look at the standings and the numbers, and you have to feel good about this team knowing we haven’t seen the real A-Rod or Teixeira and we’ll be getting Gardner and Joba back down the stretch. Huge.

7. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

I haven’t felt this good about are WS possiblities in quite awhile.. What team has a 8game lead in the standings and has CC Sabathia, Brett Gardner, Andy Pettitte, and JOba Chamberlin all combin back within diffrent parts of the 2nd half? Thats amazing! Shoot, we might even see Pedro Feliciano, and if push comes to shove, we got David Phelps waiting in the wings… THis team is winning it all this yr!

8. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

Ravel Santana and Claudio Custodio are starting to get going.. Both had multi hit games again today, and both players BA’s are on the rise.. JUst 2more players adding to the now scalding hot farm system e got going..

Something positive going on for nearly all of our guys.. Either there having great all around yrs or are getting going now.. Its a wonderful thing…

9. Brian S. says:

Is Cecil really going to pitch in the second game of the Blue Jays series? Or is he going to wait for the league to ‘do something’ about the short porch?

10. Morales says:

Trying to figure out what a good package would be for Dempster…

Don’t want to lose Banuelos, but would be willing to part with any of the following

Dellin Betances
    Adam Warren
    DJ Mitchell

And maybe one or two of the following

Tyler Austin
    JR Murphy
    Ravel Santana

11. Morales says:

Trying to figure out what a good package would be for Dempster…

Don’t want to lose

Banuelos
    Williams
    Sanchez

Would be willing to part with other pieces

• Ted Nelson says:

How much of an upgrade is Dempster?

• NYCSPORTZFAN says:

The ryan dempster from this yr, is a upgrade over every pitcher on our team..lol And seeing how were really only interested in this yr right now, i’d say he’d be a huge upgrade.. Hence, why the yanks are interested in the first place..
        I personally don’t care if we get em or not, but certainly understand why Cashman would be interested.. I’m more then happy using phelps as a injury replacement and waiting for CC and then Andy to return…

• G says:

This is the most flawed thinking imaginable. Because he had a great short stretch interrupted by injury. He will automatically continue to do so in a harder division.

12. Morales says:

Sorry for the multiple posts, mobile web browser..

13. Justin Upton says:

come get me Cash! I’ll waive my no trade for a small fee.

14. Pat D says:

Two interesting things from today:

First of all, congratulations to jjyank for evidently slaying a troll.

Second, and this is very funny, I saw someone tweet at Gordon Edes today that Bard, Doubront, Kalish, Lars Andersen and Lavarnway would net the Red Sox King Felix and 2 World Series titles.

Commence insane laughter.

15. Brian S. says:

RevHaloFan’s recap is pretty ridiculous. It’s almost as if his team didn’t just lose a series.

16. captain kiwi says:

awesome pic. and is breaking bad really THAT good? i’ve heard all the hype and my best friend suggested it as well, but he lost all credibility when he said that arrested development was “only alright”.

• jjyank says:

I just started it, and I am really enjoying it so far (about halfway through the first season). Also, Arrested Development is awesome, so maybe trust my opinion more :D

• captain kiwi says:

apparently last reply didn’t go through…

i’ll probably get into breaking bad eventually – i’m coming around to cranston. i was late to the party on spartacus, walking dead (which sucks), and dexter (also not a fan). though as of recent, my girlfriend has been dominating my netflix. we finished samantha who and we’re almost done with drop dead diva.

am i allowed to admit that on the internet?

• jjyank says:

Maybe you shouldn’t trust my opinion then, I LOVE Dexter. Great show.

• captain kiwi says:

in all honesty, it’s probably my personal tastes. i’m picky as hell when it comes to… everything, really. dexter COULD be a show i enjoy thoroughly – if anyone other michael c. hall were dexter. my small nitpicks with the actual actor are what turn me off completely from the show.

• jjyank says:

I’ve never watched him in anything else but Dexter, so it works for me. I think he does a damn good job as the social awkward yet still morally good serial killer. But that’s just me. As you say, TV shows are very much up in the air to personal choices.

• captain kiwi says:

aye. i made the mistake of watching that “gamer” movie (with king leonidas) before i watched an episode of dexter, and it just ruined my opinion of him. i stereotyped him as that, and i hate it, but i can’t see him any other way.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I love Tabitha’s Salon Takeover. There, I said it.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Breaking Bad is arguably the best show ever. So yes, it’s worth the hype.

• captain kiwi says:

i’ve heard that a lot, and usually “best ever” is subjective when it comes to t.v. shows. however – a disparate amount of people have been describing breaking bad that way. where there’s smoke there’s fire i guess…

• Ron says:

Seinfeld sopranos and the wire say hello.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I think the way the suspense has built over four seasons, and without the presence of Poochie-like extraneous characters, is something I’ve seen few shows do. Everything has built up perfectly. I don’t feel like the Sopranos did that. While it was just a superb show, the characters which were introduced in the later seasons never held my interest.

“Best ever” is something people love to throw around for a lot of things. I haven’t watched enough television in my life to say that. However, few shows have actually raised my level of interest and intensity consistently over the course of four seasons like “Breaking Bad” has.

17. Robinson Tilapia says:

Did a little bit of radio listening today, all in the top of the 9th, which would have been a more enjoyable listen had my wife not suddenly morphed into stuart a in the passenger’s seat. I kid, of course.

I’ll take two out of three anytime.

18. Camd80 says:

Arod is done…..No PED’s…. No Arod.

19. jjyank says:

I hate living on a cheap budget. I got so used to good beer. The Miller Lite I bought makes me want to puke now, even though it was my go-to in undergrad.

• Brian S. says:

Why do people talk of their undergrad vs. their grad years? Do you stop partying after getting a Bachelors?

• jjyank says:

No, but grad years are not spend in dorms or living in a house with a bunch of buddies typically. Grad studies are usually all work and no play. Sure you can party all you want, but the atmosphere and the company you keep is generally completely different.

• whozat says:

Usually. There are fewer people there just to hang out, and you’re usually paying your own way.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Well…..what’s good, inexpensive craft beer you can get in your neighborhood? Can you get some 21st Amendment? Some Oskar Blues? What’s out there? We can do this on a budget. I know we can.

• jjyank says:

Heh you don’t want to go out drinking in my neighborhood. To be honest, I don’t think there are any bars anyway. I’ll figure it out. Just gotta troll for happy hour specials near where I work.

• captain kiwi says:

miller lite? i’m so sorry…

• jjyank says:

I got used to Magic Hat. My favorite company. Too extensive down here though.

• captain kiwi says:

lol, again, my pickiness comes into play here. i love me some #9, but that’s the only thing they got right. i honestly feel like the stuart a of beer/t.v. shows haha.

• jjyank says:

Blasphemy. Circus Boy? Howl? Single Chair? +/-? Maybe it takes a few years in Vermont to get the taste.

• captain kiwi says:

+/- i’ve never had, same with circus boy. but where i live, they do a little culture fest downtown once a year and magic hat always rolls out their seasonal/experimental stuff. last time, they had circus boy and single chair and one other weird beer (like a wannabe hefeweizen), and i TRIED to like it, i really did lol.

• jjyank says:

Circus boy and +/- are delicious. You didn’t like Howl? That’s my go-to winter dark lager.

• captain kiwi says:

i’ll be on the lookout for circus boy and +/-. as far as howl is concerned, i’m not a big fan of dark beer – the darkest i’ll go is newcastle (which still isn’t saying much). although my mom went back to the islands in march and brought a dark lager from… maui i think? drag leg? i was okay with that. other than that i don’t touch the stuff.

• jjyank says:

Ah well I love me some dark beer. Big heavy Guinness fan. Howl is right up that alley. Circus Boy and +/- are much lighter though.

• Andruw's Smile says:

Yikes, Miller Lite is awful, even compared to other cheap beers.

• jjyank says:

Well I like it better than Bud, Coors, Milwaukee’s Best, Natty, PBR, etc. I’m just not used to cheap bear in general.

• captain kiwi says:

sounds like a nice line for a “first world problems” poster :)

i’m a lil drunk and overly responsive, i apologize internet!

• Andruw's Smile says:

I actually put all of those ahead of Miller, besides Milwaukee’s best (worst). I think it all just comes down to whatever you grew up on at that point of cheap beer haha.

• jjyank says:

I like PBR out of a keg, but it’s nasty out of a can. Coors is alright for drinking games because it goes down easy. But like you said, it’s all about what your used to haha. I’m sure it really all tastes the same objectively.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I love a nice cheap grizzly on a cold night.

• Deep Thoughts says:

High Life, son. It’s called “The Champagne of Beers” for a reason.

20. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

Everytime i’ve seen the reds this yr, there bullpen is blowing a game. I haven’t watched a ton of there games from start to finish, but have seen enough because i bet on baseball, and there always seeming to be blowing a lead or tie game..

21. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

Watching Bradon Phillips really makes me love Robbie Cano just that much more.. Hes one of the better 2B in the league, but still about 100times less of a player then Robbie…

22. Robinson Tilapia says:

I forgive you.

23. Jimmy McNulty says:

Breaking Bad was pretty bad ass tonight. Easily in my top ten TV shows of all time, and very easily the best show still on TV.