Jul

Thursday Night Open Thread

Lots more interviews coming in the Bronx, Ich. (Otto Greule Jr/Getty Images)

The Yankees had a scheduled day off today and from the looks of things, they might be getting some unscheduled rest this weekend as well. The Red Sox are coming to town for a three-game set starting tomorrow, but the current weather forecast calls for lots and lots of rain and thunderstorms. These two clubs have already played one doubleheader this season and frankly I have no interest in sitting through another. Hopefully the weather clears up and they get play all three games with limited (or preferably no) interruption.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. Matt Harvey will be making his big league debut for the Mets against the Diamondbacks in Arizona a little later tonight (vs. Wade Miley), plus MLB Network will be airing a game as well. Who you see depends on where you live. Talk about whatever you want here folks, the thread is yours.

Categories : Open Thread

1. The Real Greg says:

I posted this in the Kottaras thread, but I will repost here.

My possible solution is a former Yankee prospect who has played a bit in the majors. He is currently at the AAA level with the Reds and is hitting .337/.405/.463. He is also throwing out 35% of base stealers. The Reds have their catcher of the future in Devin Mesaraco and Ryan Hanigan is a solid catcher.

I think the Yankees should take a swipe at getting Dioner Navarro.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

I’ll repost my response as well.

Looking at his recent MLB numbers, he looks very Stewart-ish with the bat.
      Stewart 2009-2012: 288 PA 219/278/300 .254 wOBA, 55 wRC+, 1.2 fWAR
      Navarro 2009-2012: 754 PA 207/267/311 .256 wOBA, 55 wRC+, -1.0 fWAR

In other words, I wouldn’t count on Navarro to be an upgrade.

2. Brian S. says:

Why would it be raining in July?

3. Alkaline says:

Hope everyone is doing okay after the storm. Rough stuff.

4. sam says:

you have no interest in sitting through 6+ hours of yankee redsox baseball????? What kind of fan are you? Doubleheaders were the best part of my childhood and I look forward to them immensely. Remember last year when Nuñez went 7-8 on the doubleheader? WTF are you talking about dude, dont be so damn impatient and enjoy the beauty of baseball you dick

5. Mike, why is my comment awaiting moderation?

6. Jerome S. says:

So the storm’s just hitting me now.
    Crazy.
    Never seen the sky so dark.

7. Kramerica Industries says:

Yankees are a mere 3-10 in their last 13 home games against the Red Sox.

I’m not asking for it to be 6-10 after this weekend, but 5-11 would be nice(r).

8. DM says:

Wise cleared waivers. Maybe he’ll accept the AAA assignment.

9. Is anybody else singing the thunder-buddy song to themselves right now?

10. tyrone sharpton says:

Joe Girardi should join the UFC..that guy is jacked.

11. vicki says:

weather report, east village verstion: thunderclap has longest sustain i’ve ever heard. and i once lived in texas. if you can call that living.

12. Jacob says:

something tells me cashman has to much faith and love for marin that he won’t go for GK

13. Brian S. says:

This offseason, would a package of Austin, Hughes, Warren, and Banuelos net us Chase Headley? Too much? If we substituted Betances in that package for Banuelos would it be too litte?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

That is a shit ton to give up. Yes. There is no way I’d even do half that package.

• Brian S. says:

Not a Headley fan? 148 wRC+ away from Petco last season and a 147 wRC+ away from Petco this season. Also a great defender. I figured since every team wants a third baseman they would need two top prospects, a young pitcher, and another mid-tier prospect. Although I guess I am undervaluing Hughes since he has been lights out since April.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You’re probably undervaluing Hughes there. Yeah.

If Headley’s a question mark as a RF option, as Mike wrote, and 3B really is his natural position, it’s hard for me to envision the team trading for a guy who, for better or worse, will be blocked by Alex there. I doubt we’re anywhere near a permanent Alex-to-DH move as well.

Like I said, Headley sounds awesome, but so does just about any other really good player.

• Brian S. says:

Well I figure if A-Rod was the primary DH next season that only filled in at third when Headley needed a day off he would be a more productive hitter.

• BK2ATL says:

Not to mention giving up one of our young SP (Hughes), top SP prospect (lefty at that), a high upside (possible top 100) RF and a back-end SP for him.

This Chase Headley stuff is getting a little out of hand, similar to the John Danks stuff from over this past offseason. He’s a good player, but not worth a Justin Upton-like trade package.

Then there’s that no-position-in-NY thing once A-Rod returns. He’s not an OF and won’t be one in NY.

• Brian S. says:

Well A-Rod needs to be a DH anyways. Headley would improve us defensively and offensively.

• BK2ATL says:

So did Jesus Montero, but we see how that worked out.

A-Rod’s being paid to be THE 3B for the Yankees. Defensively he’s still pretty good. Offensively, yeah he’s in decline.

I don’t think trading the farm for Headley improves us long-term in anyway. I don’t see the value in trading the future away for what you already have. It’s a waste of resources.

• RetroRob says:

Uhh, yes. San Diego would send armed guards to escort them the San Diego before Cashman came to his senses.

• vicki says:

that’s one of them “teixeira-like packages,” to quote the marlins, who want one for johnson.

• BK2ATL says:

SD wants a “Mat Latos” type of return for Chase Headley. That was Edinson Volquez, Yonder Alonso, Yasmani Grandal and Brad Boxberger.

So basically, in Yankees’ terms, if you want Chase Headley, be prepared to part with Ivan Nova, Manny Banuelos or Mason Williams, Gary Sanchez, and Mark Montgomery.

Me, personally I don’t think he’s worth all of that. Not even half of that.

• herby says:

When did Headley become Superman…if it wasn’t for this injury he’d never even be on the radar, and now we’re ready to sell the farm for him…

14. Robinson Tilapia says:

According to the weather.com map, most of the bad stuff should have passed. My part of Brooklyn got about five minutes of heavy rain thus far, some faraway thunder, one bit of lightning, and that’s about it.

Glad I closed the office early. :)

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

Happy birthday, jjyank!!!!!!!!!!

16. Jacob says:

You guys kow Sam Ryan on MLB Network formerly did Sports on the news for New York(do not remember what channel)?

17. Deep Thoughts says:

I’m just getting a vibe, no rational basis, but…I think Trout is the real deal, a star for years to come, but with all the publicity and sports cars and All-Star votes and “clown question bro” t-shirts, I give Bryce Harper very good odds to be the next Ben Grieve. In other words, maybe Cole Hamels was right.

• Jacob says:

I think Harper will be a star for a while, I really love how he gives 110% everyday

• Preston says:

I really think that it’s 50/50 that Harper is a HOFer.

• BK2ATL says:

So did Josh Hamilton when he first made it back in Cincinnati and then Texas, then….he got comfortable…..It happens.

He’s still a great talent, but, like Hamilton, the 110% thing will wear off very soon with Harper.

• Jacob says:

I don’t think it will be that fast, Hamilton has always had a dickish personality and always thought he was so awesome but you are not so awesome when you are a former coke addict and drunk if harper stays away from that he will be with that 110% thing for a while

• BK2ATL says:

Uhhh you really think Harper doesn’t have that dickish personality already?????

The way MLB and bloggers were building up Hamilton before the drugs, you’d have thought he was the next Mantle. They’re doing the same with Harper and Trout.

While I believe Trout will have the better career of the two, I’ll wait and see. Too early and much too much baseball left to be played before either approach HOF consideration.

Ben Grieve, Joe Chabonneau, Darryl Strawberry, Eric Davis, Grady Sizemore, Chase Utley, etc. all started out with a lot of acclaim and hype. Some delivered. Some got hurt. Some got caught up in the life and forgot their day jobs. Some just didn’t do it. Let’s just wait and see what happens.

• Jacob says:

I know he does but to me he just seems like a better person, of course I don’t know him personally. I think it is very great how he wants to be in dc for his whole career(if true) he is just a real gamer and loves the game he respects it and the players he plays with and he knows how good he is and can be and he expects that from himself. Hamilton is just a dick injury prone overrated(but very good I will admit) player who ticks me off so bad I can not stand.

• Betty Lizard says:

Oh, Grady. (Sheds a tear.)

• vicki says:

you think you’re sad, talk to a tribe fan. he hasn’t been good for five years but they picked up his contract anyway.

he is hot though.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t think there’s anything dickish about Harper’s personality. He’s 19. He’s skilled. He’s confident.

• Jersey Joe says:

Definitely agree with you. Harper’s rookie numbers are quite good for a rookie center fielder, but he’s not a long term center fielder. Mike Trout is undoubtedly a long term center fielder, if he’s not pushed out by Bourjos. Harper’s 268/.341/.444 line is unspectacular, and I think Miley is the NL ROY. In contrast, I’d be surprised if Trout is out of the top 3 for AL MVP.

• Jacob says:

and very good for a 19 year old

• RetroRob says:

Harper’s year-19 season is kicking Trout’s year-19 season, and Trout had much more time in the minors. They are both spectacular talents.

What Harper is doing at 19 is actually pretty special. What Trout is doing at 20 is pretty much off the charts.

I’ll take both, but I would not assume anything yet about which one will be the better player.

• JohnnyC says:

Wow, deep, very deep. Thanks so much.

18. Andruw's Smile says:

What’d you guys think the chances of Gallardo being traded are this offseason? He’ll have 2 years of about 17 mil plus a club option for about 13 mil left (when I originally thought this, I didn’t realize he had signed an extension. This idea made more sense then)?

19. Brian S. says:

According to Josh Norris via twitter, David Adams has been getting work in at third base. Hmmmmmm.

20. Jersey Joe says:

I brought this up in an earlier article, but does anyone think that, if available, Tyler Colvin would make sense as a Raul Ibanez replacement next year? He’s blocked in Colorado’s outfield, and he’s not that outstanding as a first baseman that he’s a long term replacement to Helton. How much would it take to get him from Colorado?

Would he or Headley make more sense for next year?

21. The Real Greg says:

We need some trades to talk about; Yankees or nor.

• Need Pitching (and maybe hitting too) says:

Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps. Go.

• BK2ATL says:

Where does Dempster wind up? Braves have pulled the offer and looking hard at Greinke now. Dodgers now know they are in the driver’s seat. No need to give up much.

Garza???

Sounds like Chisox are trying to move Gavin Floyd for pieces to try to get Greinke.

Texas might be in on Cliff Lee, with Colby Lewis going down for the year.

LAA are also trying to get James Shields.

Get this though. The motivation behind either of these moves is supposedly to win the AL West and NOT have to face Yankees so early in the postseason by wildcard fate.

• The Real Greg says:

Hadn’t heard about the Gavin Floyd possibility. Jake Peavy is injured again, so it makes sense.

• Jacob says:

Trade Proposal

Yanks Get: Matt Kemp and Kershaw

Dodgers Get: The money in my wallet

22. RetroRob says:

Nice story over on the Worldwide Leader(R) about some of the Yankees A-ball prospects. Behind the Insider wall. The writer notes the group of prospects in Tampa speak to the job done by Yankees scouting director Damon Oppenheimer and his staff, with opposing clubs’ scouts simultaneously commending the Yankees for their deep staff and wondering why their teams didn’t draft these talents.

• BK2ATL says:

Who’s the writer? I don’t see this story in Insider.

• RetroRob says:

I responded and tried to post the link. It’s probably sitting in moderation, although surprised that ESPN links get moderated. The story is sitting on ESPN’s MLB page titled New York State of Mind. It’s part of ESPN’s Second Look series where they go back and update on Klaw’s top 100 prospects from the start of the season. So in this case it’s really about Mason Williams and Gary Sanchez, but the writer (not Law, but Kiley McDaniel), but a little less than half the story talks about other Yankees prospects.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Mike does a write-up on it for the non-Insider crowd. Nice piece.

• BK2ATL says:

Thanks for the point. I found it.

It’s definitely buried down in Insider. I had to search by Second Look. The writer’s name is Kiley McDaniel, if anyone else is interested. Pretty good writeup.

Thanks again!!!

23. Robinson Tilapia says:

Just saw ol’ Plouffy’s Etsy purchases for the goddaughter. The felt tardis is definitely the same vendor for which I bought my son the Dalek onesie. Really cute stuff. They even had a Ron Burgundy one for a while I REALLY wanted.

• RetroRob says:

I’m pretty darn sure this is the first open thread where there’s been a discussion about onesie’s. As a parent godparent many times over, my only advice to Plouffy is it’s fun to give, but the gifts become more expensive as they get older!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, there’s been others.

I’m sure Axisa appreciates how he can now promote the forum as being pretty fucking family friendly. Whoops.

24. pistol pete says:

We’re getting too left handed with ARod out and Chavez replacing him plus Chavez can only play a couple times a week. We need a cheap right handed third baseman for a couple of months. How about Ty Wiggington. He’s in the last year of a $4m contract with a cheap buyout at season’s end. He can play third and first, is right handed, a veteran, has a little pop and plays on Philly who’s probably in a salary dumping mode. Any thoughts?

• RetroRob says:

I read yesterday that they inquired about Wiggington, but the Phillies aren’t interested in moving him right now because of Polonco’s back. I don’t think the Phillies are giving up, nor should they. With that pitching staff, they have as good a chance as any team in a one-game playoff, and no matter who they use for that one game playoff, they can still throw a #1 starter out on the mound for the next full series.

25. Adam says:

Matt Harvey, 5.1 innings, 106 pitches, 11 Ks, 3BBs, 0ER, and 2 ABs with 2 hits (Double & Single), dropped a 45 year record owned by Seaver and Denehe, first MLB player since 1900 to get 2 hits and strike out 10 or more, first pitcher since Strasburg to get as many Ks.

I call that absolutely nuts.

26. jjyank says:

You guys are the bomb. Muchos gracias for the birthday comments. I wish I could have stayed out later but I had to work tomorrow, and the metro stops running at midnight on weeknights. But I appreciate coming home to the open thread and being mentioned :D Thanks my RAB brothers.

27. Alfredo says:

Matt Harvey made his debute today for the Mets and looked fantastic!
    it gets me thinking about Banuelos and how bad I want to see him pitching for the big club.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Let’s hope for a truly healthy ManBan in 2013. Can’t imagine that, if he’s healthy, effective, and an opening is there, it’ll take long.

28. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Def nice ^ 11 k’s is their franchise record for a pitchers debute.

I’m going to the game tonight, my brother in-law gave me one of his tickets to the Mohegan Sun club. Anyone ever sat in there? I always looked at this RF/LF blocking glass wall as kinda a corporate douche aquarium out there in center field. Will they waiter me a Lobels sandwich? If anyone is in there, I’m in a blank grey.