Aug

Update: Pettitte, A-Rod get positive news during checkups

11:24pm: Both Pettitte and A-Rod got positive news from their checkups. Andy is not quite ready to get back up on a mound, but he will ramp up his flat ground work. A-Rod should be able to swing a bat by the weekend.

5:31pm: Via Josh Thomson, both Andy Pettitte (leg) and Alex Rodriguez (hand)) will have x-rays later tonight to check up on their fractures. Mark Teixeira hasn’t swung a bat all weekend, but he will take ground balls and run through some drills tonight in anticipation of returning to the lineup tomorrow. I’m willing to bet he gets another day off just to be safe; no reason not too really.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. RetroRob says:

Too bad Tex is not playing. He’s driven in 18 runs against the Red Sox, even while missing this series. Not quite as much fun without looking forward to another Padilla punishing.

2. Mattchu12 says:

I know this will probably be met with flames, but sometimes I really wish we could trade Teix and play Swisher at first base. It’s a downgrade defensively, but I still feel like Swish is above average, and I’d love to have that 25 million back to resign Cano.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

I can dig that, they’re basically the same hitter at this point, Tex has a little more power and Swish has a little more OBP. That would probably save $10 million a year for Cano.

Hindsight is 20/20, no?

• RetroRob says:

Is it really hindsight? Tex has been a valuable contributor for the past four seasons as has Cano, who is still with the Yankees.

• Mattchu12 says:

I think he means in a “shouldn’t have signed Teixeira and just used Swisher at first base to begin with” kind of way. Which I kinda-sorta agree with, but only because I never believed that Montero would stick as a catcher and would need to move to first base.

At the time, if Montero hadn’t been something to consider, I still would have signed Teix because I would have figured his power would have been sapped away before I figured he’d become a .250ish batter with a .350ish OBP.

• Paul VuvuZuvella says:

At the time, it was also a preemptive strike to keep Tex from going to Boston…which ultimately led to Boston trading multiple prospects to resolve 1B issue.

• Kosmo says:

Without Tex the Yanks donĀ“t win the WS in 2009.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t think preemptive is the right word, if by that you mean the Yankees did it to keep him away from Boston. They knew Boston was going after him hard, but neither team signs players just to keep them away from the other.

The Yankees signed Teixeira to fill a need and secure one of the top 1B’men in the game, a switch hitter, excellent fielder, and someone who would help them remain competitive and hopefully be a piece of the puzzle to bring in another World Championship(s).

If they didn’t sign Tex, then it would have set off a chain of events the last four years, different moves, meaning there wouldn’t necessarily be any more money for signing Cano than there is now. The Yankees payroll has been very consistent over the past eight seasons.

3. The Real Greg says:

Speaking of tonight’s game, if the Red Sox lose and scores from earlier hold, they will be only 1 game ahead of the MARINERS in the standings.

4. AC says:

Don’t give 7-8 yr deals to Cano and Grandy and for the next several years we have to hear about the 189 and can’t add anything bc of these deals. I like Grandy but I’d look to possible deal him sometime next year. Have to look at trades. Can’t sign everybody to 7-8 yr deals with no trade. I’d like to retain Swish. He’s the only guy who would take less to stick around. Cano has Boras and there’s no discount.

• Hoss says:

It is going to be tough to trade Grandy next year if he can walk after the season. The acquiring team would be getting a rental so presumably would be a contender, so that would limit who the Yankees could trade him to (ie no AL teams, right?). Also, what would the Yankees seek in return? Prospects? Pitching?
      Grandy’s defense is in serious decline and he is one dimensional (HRs) at the plate. The market is going to be pretty limited.

• The Real Greg says:

If the Blue Jays could trade Vernon Wells…

• Hoss says:

I know… P T Barnum would have been proud. But Alfonso Soriano, Barry Zito and Chone Figgins are the other side of the coin.

• RetroRob says:

I’m really not sure what Curtis Granderson has to do with Vernon Wells, Alfonso Soriano, Barry Zito or Chone Figgins.

If the Yankees want to trade a 31-year-old lefty-hitting OFer who can hit 35 HRs in an era of declining power, can draw walks, rates positively running the bases, and whose worse sin is he might need to be shifted to a corner OF position, is underpaid by market standards and requires not more than a one-year committment by the team, then they will have 29 teams listening.

Not sure what you guys are talking about.

• RetroRob says:

Do you really believe the market for Granderson will be limited?

It’s amazing how Yankee fans are willing to give up their better players (can we get rid of Tex, let Granderson leave, let Cano leave, Swish sucks), belive it’s okay to strip the entire farm system for one player like Upton, and then think it’s all going to be okay.

It won’t. Granderson is not a one-dimensional player.

5. chuck says:

Who gets sent down when Arod comes back?

6. nickswishahisastahtingpitchah says:

Got nervous when I saw the words “A-rod” and “positive” in the same sentence

• Mendo says:

I read it fast the first time this morning before my coffee and was like what?? Ohhh positive about his wrist.. haha