Aug

Sunday Night Open Thread

200th career homer this afternoon. (Jason Miller/Getty Images)

It certainly wasn’t the prettiest road trip in the world, but the Yankees were able to take two of three from the lowly Indians to wrap things up this weekend. Needless to say, they really need to take care of business during this upcoming six-game homestand. I’ll be pretty disappointed with anything less than four wins next week, this “flirting with .500 since the All-Star break” nonsense has to end already.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The ESPN Sunday Night Game is a good one, the Braves at the Giants (Hudson vs. Lincecum). The Jets are also playing a preseason game you can watch on NBC. Other than that, talk about whatever you like here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Ethan says:

Does anyone else watch The Newsroom? I just started watching it yesterday and it’s a fantastic show. Aaron Sorkin’s newest masterpiece.

2. xnyles says:

Two words: Breaking Bad.

3. Eddard says:

We picked up a game in the Indians series which was good. We need to pick up 1 or 2 more in this next series. We get another sinking ship, this time at home while Tampa has to go on the road to Texas and Baltimore plays the White Sox. Go into September with a 5 game lead.

4. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I don’t know if you guys talked about this or not but Sterling’s call of the Swisher double was hilarious. Disappointing too but I couldn’t even be mad (considering we had the lead already anyway), I just burst out laughing.

*Crack* And Swisher hits a high drive to deep left field! It is high! It is far! Ittttt is gone!

[Pauses for a moment while the crowd cheers.]

No, wait, off the wall for a double. And I really, really thought that was gone. I really, really did.

We need to get rid of him so badly….

• Robinson Tilapia aka Melky's Webmaster says:

You will be bored out of your mind with someone else. He’s an idiot, but he’s OUR idiot.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’d rather be bored and know what’s going on. If that would have been a go-ahead home run he called back I would have popped a vein.

• I am not the droids you're looking for says:

I remember Scooter on the radio….”Holy Cow did you see that??”

Umm no Phil. I’m listening on the radio.

• Tom Q says:

Scooter was the best; you could fill a book with his goofy-isms. Granted, it was a lot harder to take when he did radio, and neglected to mention what had happened (I remember an at-bat in a game in Milwaukee where he screamed “Holy cow; I can’t believe it. Reggie Jackson comes through again”…all without mentioning that Jackson had hit a grand slam).

I’d still take him over almost anybody on TV today. I can see what’s happening; I like someone to add a little flavor.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

The beautiful thing about this call was the pause. It was just long enough for you to really believe he got the call correct before he yanked the rug out from underneath you.

• Rainbow connection says:

I don’t need someone to lie in order to make it exciting.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Michael Kay, more or less, did the same thing.

Progressive Field is playing mind games on everybody.

5. mt says:

Listened to radio broadcast today for most of game because MLB.TV does not work well on my phone (GRRR!!) – “our idiot” John Sterling is an embarassment and I hope Yanks let him go – he sounds so bored.

(Other moments = John calling Suzuki safe at 2nd on stolen base attempt and then,no, he’s out, talking about Choo as if he were a free agent this coming offseason)

6. Pat D says:

Happy to see that the Dodgers will be coming to the Stadium. Since Vin Scully is returning next year, I hope he attends those games. I might just listen to him instead of the YES crew.

• forensic says:

I think Scully only does California and Arizona games.

• Pat D says:

I hope he makes an exception for this one, due to its kinda sorta historic nature.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I think Scully went to Boston when the Dodgers play there a couple years back, so there is a chance. Almost certainly would be Scully’s only chance to summon the new grounds at Yankee Stadium.

• Rainbow connection says:

YS III is not historic.

• Pat D says:

I didn’t say it was. Dodgers at Yankees in the regular season is since it hasn’t happened before.

Why have I wasted all this time typing that? You know that, you’re just being your worthless self again.

7. Brian S. says:

I wish Jesus Montero was still on the team. He has a 129 wRC+ on the road this season, compared to 51 at Safeco.

• The Real Greg says:

I knew he would struggle at Safeco when the deal was made so that made it a bit more equal.

• RetroRob says:

Home-road splits are meaningless over a few months of data. Well, Montero better hope so, since his home data shows he’s not exactly the dangerous hitter he was billed to me. Randomness of hot streaks at play.

8. Brian S. says:

I just started Calculus this week and I was wondering if any of you math people on here know of any websites that are useful for studying. The tutorial center doesn’t open until later this week.

9. vin says:

How is it possible that Rays are off today? I’ve never known a team to have a scheduled day off on a Sunday.

10. Eddard says:

I just don’t understand what the Jets are doing at QB. Sanchez now has his targets back and still get get in the endzone! In Tim Tebow, the Jets have a proven winner. I kept thinking to myself, if Tebow were in the game the Jets would have punched it in the endzone by now. Good thing NBC is always giving us sideline shots of Tebow so we at least know he’s alive.