Sep

Sunday Night Open Thread

MLB Network is running a four-part series entitled “My MLB Life,” which looks at how various players grew up and the things they do away from the field these days. Matt Kemp, Tori Hunter, and Ryan Zimmerman were featured in the first four parts while CC Sabathia will be the focus in the finale. The preview is above and you can see the full episode tomorrow at 1pm ET, so set your DVR. Apparently I missed the first two showings this weekend, but hooray reruns. (h/t Bryan Hoch)

Anyway, here is tonight’s open thread. The ESPN Sunday Night Game is a good one, the Dodgers at the Giants (Kershaw Blanton vs. Zito). You’ve also got the late football game as well (Steelers at Broncos). Talk about either of those two games or anything else here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Bob Buttons the Cat says:

Soo… Akers’ record-tying field goal. Damnnnnn.

2. EDDARD says:

Joba’s back. The offense is back, including Granderson, excluding Andruw Jones. And next up is Boston who we should demolish. The Os and Rays will hopefully beat each other up and we’ll build up a little cushion.

• Tyrion says:

One game does not a resurgence make. I’m not going to be confident in our offense (and Joba) until I see us string together several good games. Keep in mind that after playing abysmally, playing mediocre is going to look like an improvement.

• Countryclub says:

Been hitting for 5 games now. 37 runs in past 5. Take out today and it was 24 in prev 4.

It’s the starters and pen that need to turn a corner. Hopefully wade and Joba can be counted on moving forward(we’ll see). I think phelps will help the pen when he gets moved.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. The Red Sox are gonna have a hard on to bring some misery to the Yankees. I expect a hard fought regardless of how depleted Boston may be.

3. stuart a says:

if Joba is back that would be huge. been pretty good last 3 outings…

they need a arm for 6ht/7th inning hopefully joba can do that.

swisher has been putrid lately. the guy is what he is 245 to 280, 35 hrs, and max 85 rbi’s but when the stage gets big he gets small along with the yankee 2b…..

4. Brian S. says:

Who are we facing in the Red Sox series? Lester, Cook, Doubront?

5. FIPster Doofus says:

I’m a Bills fan. Shoot me in the face.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

How the gave up that many points to the crappy Jets offense is pretty amazing. Other than CJ Spiller, I’d be pretty demoralized if I were a Bills fan.

• FIPster Doofus says:

To see the vaunted pass rush do absolutely nothing was extremely deflating. Looks like another long year is in store, but I’m used to it by now.

6. VT Yankee Fan says:

Jeter now needs 4 hits to tie Willie Mays.

Willie. Frickin’. Mays.

7. Brian S. says:

Is there a good reason for Mesa and CoJo to not be with the big team? I mean, they already have 40 man spots.

8. captain kiwi says:

i just read that joel sherman post along with the comments and i kinda hate myself for it. is he really that stupid?

9. Kramerica Industries says:

Red Sox are, like, 1-11 in their last 12.

This has trap series written all over it. Not as in the Red Sox sweep, or anything, just this will be another tough series for the Yankees.

10. Rocky Road Redemption says:

Now if we could get some good starts from our SP…

11. Cuso says:

I’m wondering if the fact that I refused to watch more than 90 consecutive seconds of the game today and focused on football is a contributing factor to them scoring 13 runs.

Is it possible that I’m a jinx?

12. Nathan says:

I saw that “My Life” or whatever it’s called and it’s pretty good. I’m glad that they show all the charity good that Sabathia and his wife do.

I see it quite often as I’m in the Bay Area and when he does come by the local news is over his good deeds. I can say that he’s done at least three trips each year out here: Thanksgiving, Christmas and during the start of the school year. That doesn’t even count the renovation of the baseball field out in Vallejo.

I know CC hasn’t been CC-like this year but he’s a first class person.

• jjyank says:

I didn’t see the actual episode, just trailer. Always makes it easier to root for a guy when you see that kind of stuff though.

13. EDDARD says:

As bad as Jerry Meals is just imagine if all the umps were him because that’s what they have in the NFL with these replacement refs. What an awful experiment. And what those refs want is probably peanuts compared to the profit the NFL makes.