Sep

Sunday Night Open Thread

#BuryTheRays (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

I’m going to sound like a broken record here (that’s nothing new, actually), but man do off-days feel better coming off a win. The Yankees didn’t get the blowout that would have allowed them to rest their core relievers, but they did get the win this afternoon and that’s all that matters. Now they’ve suddenly won four of five and seven of their last eleven. They aren’t back in ass-kicking mode just yet, but things are definitely starting to trend in the right direction.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The ESPN Sunday Night Game is a pretty good one, the Nationals at the Braves (Gio vs. Minor). The late NFL game is the Lions at the 49ers. Talk about those games or anything else here. Have at it.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Hall and Nokes says:

Tough day for the 4 Tampa residents who root for Tampa teams.

2. McLovin says:

Too bad the Orioles are winning.

3. Tom says:

By the way the 2013 baseball schedule is out (minus most of the start times)

2nd half for the Yankees looks brutal (though the last series is on the road at Houston)

4. Pat D says:

No apologies necessary in tonight’s open thread.

5. Leg-End says:

This might seem like a silly question but I’ve never really taken the time to get my head around the playoff eligibility rules but here goes:

Assuming we make the post season, we can can add Nunez right?

• Laz says:

I never really understood it either. It’s supposed to be players on 25 man on august 31, but you can substitute if injured for players pitcher for pitcher or hitter for hitter. I guess you just say someone else is injured.

• jjyank says:

I’m not 100% clear on all the rules, but I know there are exemptions for guys who are on the 60 day DL. So the Yanks can use exemptions for guys like Gardner, Pineda, etc. to put post-8/31 roster guys on the playoff roster. Pretty sure this is how it works.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I think the pitcher for pitcher and hitter for hitter rules only applies to injury replacements made during a series.
        For rosters to start a series, any injured player can be replaced by any player, as long as they were already in the organization by Sept. 1.
        Pineda, Mo, Meyers, Cabral, Gardner, Aardsma, and Feliciano are all injured players who could be replaced if they’re still injured when the playoffs start.

6. EDDARD says:

The Rays are finished as far as the division is concerned. 5 back with 16 to play and no HTH games left. Now some of you might say, what about last year when they came back on the Sox? The Rays had 7 games vs the Sox in Sept last year and won 6 of them. With no HTH games left they are looking for WC at best.

And what’s at the heart of this turnaround? Great starting pitching minus one starter as well as Eduardo Nunez wrecking havoc on the bases and with his bat. Once Girardi wised up and benched Nix in favor of Nunez the team has taken off.

• Knoxvillain says:

I don’t think the team is taking off because Nunez is getting more playing time instead of Nix. That’s only because of Jeter’s ankle. Once Jeter is fine to play again, Nunez will be a pinch runner for the rest of the season I am guessing.

I think the Yankees are starting to win games because of A-Rod actually. I know he’s not worth 30 million and he isn’t going to put up his old .310/45/140 numbers, but clearly he still means a lot to this team.

• jjyank says:

Agreed. He has hit .298/.358/.532 in the last two weeks too. He’s still an above average player, especially for a third baseman.

• Knoxvillain says:

I’ve always loved A-Rod. It’s nice to see him back and putting up great numbers. Hopefully he has another strong postseason like he did in 2009.

• LarryM., Fl. says:

I agree Arod is under appreciated for his ability to help other players in the lineup offensively just by being in the lineup.

7. Nice Scheister says:

Not feeling too good about these replacement officials in the NFL, just saw a horrendous call against the Cowboys, dude barely pushed him outta bounds meanwhile, before that in the same play, the dude blocking the runner straight went helmet to helmet to the defender. #TerribleCall

• EDDARD says:

I don’t know what the union refs are thinking. The NFL is not going to cave. There hasn’t been any big call that cost a team at the end of a game so the union refs have no leverage. They’re just costing themselves paychecks. They should take what they can get, otherwise the NFL will just run replacements out there the whole year.

• Nice Scheister says:

I guess their waiting for a terrible call to make a point with but the only thing it’s doing is proving how easy of a job it is, or how ‘okay’ of a job the replacements are doing. At least we are spared from seeing that ref in the sm-edium shirt, then one that’s always flexing when making calls.

• Pat D says:

That was Notre Dame’s Golden Tate leveling Penn State’s Sean Lee. I root for both of those teams, so I found it funny.

I think Johnston might have been a little too adamant in thinking that a penalty. But the call they did make was pretty terrible.

• Nice Scheister says:

Dallas loses anyway, I uses to live in Seattle so I’m glad to see the Seahawks fans so excited. This games over, Romo is no Manning (pick one).

• Joe says:

Disagree. Manning wouldn’t live behind the Cowboys offensive line. I believe each QB fits his team well. This is a Yankees site so I won’t get into the numbers. But Romo is not far behind Eli. He’s passed him in statistics that’s for sure.

• pat says:

Refs were horrible in Giants game. TB d backs were grabbing and holding entire fists of jersey all game. Brutal.

• vicki says:

eli is very jeter about personal stats but i’d be pissed if i got charged with the pick where cruz got held. there were some bad calls but there were TONS of bad no-calls. across the league.

• Joe says:

My boy Sean Lee got hit so dirtily.

8. LarryM., Fl. says:

It was a good win today but Mike I can’t totally agree with your assessment about “things definitely trending in the right direction.” Yes a win is a win but that Right hand lineup is just a bit weak with Jones and Pierce. Maybe get Nunez in there as Dh or subbing for Arod or Jeter who would go to DH. Keeping Jones in the lineup is the same as Maddon keeping his third string catcher for offense and the Yanks stole 3 or 4 bases with ease on the kid . He got no hits.

Jones was so late to react to the bad hop single by Longoria over Arod’s glove in left field . He probably would not have stopped the second run by lazy play of a slow footed player can not be ignored. I rather have Ichiro in left for his defense and his ability to run if he gets on base. Jones IMHO is bordering on one dimensional and that is running into a pitch and putting it over the fence which is unlikely.

• Steve S. says:

I get it that you’re tired of looking at Jones, but Ichiro can’t hit lefties.

I’m not sure that he’s gassed like everyone thinks, Andruw is just very streaky. Even the stuff Mike did recently at TYA may just be a result of his swing mechanics being off. When he gets locked in, he’ll go on a HR tear and all his critics will be quiet and Girardi will get zero credit for his patience. C’est la vie.

9. Yankees won, Giants won, Dallas lost, Red Sox don’t matter, the Rays are just about done, The only things that could’ve made this sports day better where Philly losing against Baltimore, and Baltimore losing against Oakland.

10. Joe says:

Half decent day. Yankees won and that’s always great, but the Cowboys lost to the Seahawks. They suck. Well they don’t, but they have a rookie QB. Ugh. Not in a good mood.

I hate how football does that to me. I can’t speak to people right now.

11. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I honestly don’t think the replacement refs are particularly bad at all. We notice all the blown/missed calls because they’re the replacement refs, but frankly from my point of view they don’t blow or miss any more calls than the regular refs.

Also, I’m a Giants fan, but while the Bucs probably shouldn’t have done anything I totally understand why they did and people are making way too big a deal out of it. Maybe every team should play this hard up until the end of the game.

They shouldn’t have done it, but the logic makes sense and I’m not too mad about it.

12. Greg Schiano and the Bucks just showed me, if I’m up big against you and I can just kneel the ball and/or run the clock out, guess what, fuck you I’m running up the score against you as much as I can because you apparently don’t deserve the respect of running the clock out.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I always figured the only reason people didn’t do that was to try and avoid injuries and stupid mistakes anyway. The motivations for avoiding running up the score aren’t completely altruistic.

• I think it’s a combination of the two things:
        1. To avoid injuries
        2. The guys on the otherside are professionals, you don’t want to embarrass them.

However, if you’re going to take cheap shots, and try to injure us, since we might get hurt anyway I’m going to rub your nose in to the fact that I’m beating you.

• Joe says:

3. Avoid turnovers.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Yeah, I was thinking that too.

I get what you’re saying, kind of like avoiding running up the score in basketball, but there are other motivating factors there too. Anyway, if the other team really HASN’T given up, why should you?

• Joe says:

Because if the Giants fumble there or throw an interception, and the Bucs tie the game Coughlin looks like an idiot.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’m not speaking of that specific situation. I’m talking like, you’re up by 28 or something in the fourth with 6 minutes left and your opponent calls an onside kick or a trick play or something. I figure if that happens, feel free to go crazy.

• vicki says:

ray rice made schiano look like a genius and now he believes his own press. real programs, powerhouses, don’t pull that shit at the college level either. it was appalling.

having said that i’d like to see handsome david carr out there taking that knee.

13. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I am seriously frightened about this next series against the A’s.

Honestly, I think we’re going to get crushed.

14. Joe says:

Sorry for the duplicate comments. My computer froze.

15. Not shocked the Giants came back to win.

Bucs have a long way to go to reach the level of a team like the Giants.

16. this space for rent says:

The Kansas City Royals have a better record than the Red Sox.

Nelson_ha!ha!.jpg

17. jjyank says:

Holy shit. I’m sure you all are familiar with the whole “crying while you cut onions” thing. I never believed it until tonight. I wear contacts, and wear them like 99.99% of the time. Pretty much the only time I ever wear my glasses are for about a half our in the morning until I shower. Today, however, I felt lazy and never put my contacts in. I was cutting onions for the dinner I’m making, and it was extremely difficult to get through it. Wow.

I’m guessing my eyes are extra sensitive to outside influences because they are so adapted to having a barrier there. This is weird.

• Dude, when I worked at the pizzaria we were talking about, I picked up a few dishwasher shifts for extra cash. The way the pizza room was set up, it always got really hot because there was no window, a giant pizza oven, and the sink for washing dishes. We got an air conditioner put into the wall right next to the sinks, and when ever I washed dishes I’d point it right at my face. whenever anybody was cutting onions as prep the smell or whatever would catch right into the AC and blow right into my face causing me to be tearing on par with crying my eyes out.

• Pat D says:

I didn’t have a working pear of glasses for a long time and I wore my contacts endlessly. It really started to affect my vision. Since I’ve had glasses again, if I’m not going out I wear them all the time. Since I’ve been unemployed I find I’m wearing my glasses more, and I’ve worn them out sometimes, too.

But I have no experience chopping onions.

• Tom says:

If you cut onions a lot…. sharpen your knife.

A sharper knife will actually cut down on most of that as the knife cuts will release less of the enzyme that reacts in the onion and forms the gas that makes your eyes tear up. A duller knife crushes more of the cells and releases more enzymes – more gas – more tears.

18. Betty Lizard says:

Mike’s mentioned his admiration for Bud Black (and Joe Madden). Can anyone explain why Black is good? I just don’t know anything about him. (trying to distract myself from thinking about the upcoming A’s series.)

• jjyank says:

I dunno about Bud, but how about Martin’s homer today, eh?

• Steve S. says:

He came up though the Scioscia coaching tree, and as we all know Mike Scioscia is the bestest manager ever in the game of baseball. Jon Heyman and Mike Francesa say so, so it must be true. Just being around him he must have learned lots of good stuff, like Maddon did.

• Betty Lizard says:

Hee. You guys are no help. Sounds like a good mailbag question.

Personally I hate Scoscia.

I used to love Russell Martin, but you may recall, jjyank, that I was urged to renounce all of this year’s baseball boyfriends so that the Yankees could win a game.

This selling your soul isn’t all is cracked up to be.

19. nick says:

i’m sorry the espn guys said almost an excuse me home run on a ball that bounced foul into the stands barely past 1st. WTF?