Sep

Venditte out until mid-2013 following shoulder surgery

Via Jim Callis, switch-pitcher Pat Venditte will be out until the middle of next season after having surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right shoulder. We first heard about the tear back in late-May, but at the time he was still deciding between rehab and surgery.

Venditte, 27, has always been more of performance guy than an actual prospect. His minor league numbers — 2.30 ERA with 10.3 K/9 and 2.4 BB/9 in 277.2 relief innings — are as good as it gets, but the stuff from both sides is very underwhelming. Callis provides an updated scouting report, though the right-handed half is subject to change following the surgery. Venditte will be eligible for minor league free agency after the 2014 season by my unofficial count.

Categories : Asides, Injuries, Minors

1. jjyank says:

I want him to make the majors just so I can see what happens when he faces a switch hitter.

2. RetroRob says:

I thought he was considered more passable as a lefty since that’s the more forgiving side.

I wonder if there’s any chance he can pitch just as a lefty while his right shoulder is still on the mend.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m guessing anything that’s not really physical therapy could be seen as potentially impeding his recovery time or a risk.

3. Better off Eddard says:

Girardi doesn’t care how good his stuff is. If Joe gets this guy in his bullpen he’ll set a record for most relief appearances in a season. Joe would still be able to set up his binder matchups but wouldn’t even need to walk to the mound.

4. TCMiller30 says:

Is that his throwing shoulder?

(See what I did there?!?!?)

5. Bob Buttons says:

While it isn’t good news to hear a guy get hurt, it’s nice to know that now there’s much less chance of him getting drafted in rule 5, if there was a moderate chance before.