Oct

2012-2013 Offseason Calendar

(Jonathan Daniel/Getty)

The World Series was quick and frankly not all that entertaining, at least not compared to the last few Fall Classics. It was an incredibly one-sided series for the Giants, who deserve major kudos for winning two championships in the last three years. Few (if any) teams can match their four-man core of Matt Cain, Madison Bumgarner, Buster Posey, and Pablo Sandoval going forward.

Anyway, with the end of the World Series begins the start of the offseason. Players officially became free agents today, though they won’t be able to sign with new teams for another few days. Here is the full schedule for the upcoming offseason…

• This Wednesday (October 31st): Option decisions are due. The Yankees have already exercised their options for Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson, and David Aardsma, so the only decisions left involve Rafael Soriano (likely to opt-out) and Pedro Feliciano (likely to be declined).
  • This Friday (November 2nd): Deadline for teams to make free agents a one-year, $13.3M qualifying offer. Nick Swisher is “extremely likely” to receive one, ditto Soriano if he opts out. Hiroki Kuroda, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, and Russell Martin are all qualifying offer candidates as well.
  • This Saturday (November 3rd): End of the exclusive negotiating period, so free agents can now sign with any team as of 12:01am ET.
  • November 7-9th: GM Meetings in Palm Springs, California. There may be a handful of moves made around the league during these three days, but for the most part the meetings are about laying groundwork for the rest of the offseason.
  • November 9th: Deadline for players to accept or reject qualifying offers. Any player who rejects the qualifying offer and signs with a new team will earn his former club a compensation draft pick.
  • November 12-15th: Major awards are announced. Click here for the full awards schedule.
  • November 20th: Deadline for teams to set their 40-man roster for the Rule 5 Draft. Right-hander Brett Marshall is New York’s most notable Rule 5 eligible prospect this offseason.
  • November 30th: Deadline for clubs to offer contracts to players with less than six full years of service time, otherwise known as the non-tender deadline. A fresh new batch of free agents will hit the market on this day.
  • December 3rd-6th: Winter Meetings in Nashville. All hell will break lose this week.
  • December 6th: The Rule 5 Draft during the final day of the Winter Meetings. The Yankees have selected two players (one righty and one lefty reliever) in each of the last two drafts.
  • January: Deadline for each side to submit arbitration filing figures. The player submits one salary, the team another. Last year’s deadline was January 13th but the exact date of this year’s is unknown.
  • February: Arbitration hearings throughout the month. The two sides can agree to a contract at any point prior to the hearing, even after submitting figures. The Yankees haven’t gone to an arbitration hearing since beating Chien-Ming Wang and saving $600k prior to the 2008 season.

The next few days will be kinda busy for the Yankees thanks to all the contract options and qualifying offers. They’re losing a number of significant players to free agency this winter, so expect this offseason to be the team’s busiest since the 2008-2009 spending spree.

Categories : Hot Stove League

1. tyrone sharpton says:

what about lincecum in that core group? that guy hasn’t been a scrub, and he was lights out in the pen you know….

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

He would have been on a ton of people’s top 2 or 3 pitchers in baseball in March. I’m reminded of Brett Saberhagen who always seemed to have a Great year, then a mediocre to bad year, and then a great year again. Saberhagen did that in true Lather Rinse Repeat style.

2. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

Do you really think Martin will be getting a $13.3M qualifying offer?

• Mike Axisa says:

I think it’s possible. Bringing him back at 1/13.3 might be preferable to 3/25+.

• Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

I guess you’re right. It would give Romine his year of seasoning in AAA.

• Steve S. says:

If Martin believes there will be multi-year offers on the table, he will likely decline. He turned down the Yankee offer of around 7-8M per for 3 years last winter, and the catching market is very thin. I think he can get 2-18 or 3-24 from somebody, so it makes sense for him to decline. Teams are awash in cash.

3. Eddard says:

I wouldn’t give Martin one penny, let alone $13.3 million. This is what I was talking about doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result. We tried Martin on a one year deal and it failed miserably. And now people want to give him a raise? For what, hitting under .200 for most of the year? This is lunacy.

• Mike Axisa says:

What is your alternative?

• DZ says:

Not one team in baseball would give that to martin, so why would the now cost conscious yankees even consider it?

Shoppach, Ross, Napoli and Pierzynski and all free agents. Personally, I would try to go out and get Jaso and pair him with maybe cervelli or Romine in the second half.

The bigger question that I have for you is what does trading granderson get you? Obviously his value is low at this point, and he only has one year on the contract. But if the yankees helped by eating 5-8 mill that has to get some valuable prospects back right?

• jjyank says:

Shoppach has been worse than Martin each of the last several years. Ross is a BUC. A really good one, but who knows how he handles a full season of starting behind the plate at this point. Napoli is not a catcher. Pierzynski is a dick. People think A-Rod is a club house cancer? Heh. Besides, he’s going to be more expensive for the budget goal.

The budget doesn’t start until 2014. If you can get a 1 year stop gap to let Romine develop, I’d do it. None of your alternatives are a slam dunk. If they can make a trade that’s better, then sure. But that’s much easier typed than done.

• Winter says:

Ha. Pierzynski makes A-Rod look like Mr. Rogers.

• DZ says:

I don’t want one of those guys, I want two. I would rather have shoppach at one year hit 210 and 2-3 million, I find that more valuable than Martin at 1 for 13 and hitting 230. Ross paired with someone else is a great move, especially if that someone is Jaso and you can platoon them. Napoli behind the plate for 50-75 games is fine, martin’s defense behind the playe has been consistently overrated, not to mention we had posada behind the dish for multiple championship teams. I’ll give u the pierzynski thing though

• jjyank says:

Will the Braves let Ross walk with McCann questionable? Shoppach isn’t a bad platoon option, but he is a platoon guy. I’d prefer to not fill 1 hole with two guys. Which brings it back to Ross, I’m not a fan of starting the year with a platoon. Napoli for 50-75 games is fine? Eh. Where does he play in the other games? It’s pretty clear the Yankees will need the DH spot pretty consistently for guys like A-Rod, Jeter, and perhaps Granderson. Those aren’t great options.

• Mike Axisa says:

Shoppach hasn’t caught more than 75 games in five years. He’s a backup.

• DZ says:

Shoppach @2-3 > martin @ 13
            Napoli for 50-75 games behind the plate would be fine, the yankees won with posada back there, I’m not concerned especially considering how overrated martin is behind the dish.
            Fair enough on pierzynski

Pairing ross with jaso is the best option IMO

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Himself and/or Eduardo Nunez.

• DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Martin at 13.3M is ludicrous. Any way you look at it.

• Mike HC says:

I wouldn’t offer that to him either.

• jjyank says:

I disagree. What are the other options? I’d rather the Yankees overpay in 2013-only money than in years. Take Martin back for a year (if you can), give Romine a year to develop, a year to work on trades, consider other free agents, etc. Right now, if Martin goes, we have a Cervelli/Stewart tandem. Or I suppose you could throw Romine to the wolves.

I’d rather have Martin. Is that so ludicrous?

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I’d agree if they had an unlimited budget for 2013. Assuming they have some type of budget for 2013, they might be better off accepting a possible slight downgrade at C and spending the savings for better options elsewhere (RF? Rotation? Bullpen?)

• jjyank says:

Well sure. And it depends on the market too. Martin on a qualifying offer might be cheaper than most other options. Or it might not be. I’m not advocating that Martin needs to be brought back, just that it’s not some sort of slam dunk to let him walk.

• Mike HC says:

I don’t think it is ludicrous to want Martin at 13.3 either.

I would still lean toward letting him go and hitting the free agent market. With these free agent catchers around:

Rod Barajas (37) – $3.5MM club option, no buyout
          David Ross (36)
          Brian Schneider (36)
          Kelly Shoppach (33)
          Chris Snyder (32) – $4MM mutual option for 2013 with a $500K buyout
          Yorvit Torrealba (34)
          Matt Treanor (37)

I think we can find better value than Martin at 13.3 million.

• jjyank says:

I agree that the Yanks might be able to find better value than Martin at 1/13.3. But if they think they can’t, and Martin wants to negotiate for a multi-year deal, I take the shot on the qualifying offer. I’d rather have Martin at 1/13.3 than Martin at, say, 3/24.

• Mike HC says:

Fair enough. I would actually prefer the 3/24 then 1 for 13.3. Seems like if we are going to overpay that much for one year, I rather get the value of two years at 5-6 million per after that.

• jjyank says:

I wouldn’t be pissed or anything if 3/24 happened. I guess my hope with a 1 year deal is that Romine could potentially be ready to at least be a league average catcher for the minimum. If they want to get under 189 by 2014, they’ll need some guys at the minimum.

• Mike HC says:

Definitely. Not sure about his health or anything, but Romine might be getting a shot at it pretty soon.

• jjyank says:

Which is why I’m taking the stance on Martin that I am. Martin for ~$8 mil in 2013 would be nice. But if it works out, I think I’d prefer Romine at the minimum in 2014 and 2015 than Martin at the same ~$8 mil. So that one year qualifying offer might be worth it.

Wasn’t it you who I was debating with on the concept of overpaying on 1 year deals the other day? I guess we’re right back where we started :D

• Winter says:

Also look at the ages on those guys. Martin’s the youngest guy except for Dioner Navarro and Brian McCann (and I can’t imagine he’s actually going to be a free agent). Age is definitely a concern for catchers, given the wear and tear they need to deal with. I’m not sure you can find a better value than Martin in that crop for 13/1. Remember that Napoli isn’t a real catcher and Pierzynski is clubhouse suicide and coming off an unrepeatable year offensively.

• Mike HC says:

Yea, I wasn’t really in love with anybody there either. Maybe the trade market is the best bet, but its not like you can just trade for above avg catchers very easily.

Martin at 13.3 for one year might be the best of a bunch of bad options when it all shakes out.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Problem is, they need to make that decision in the next 5 days, before they have a chance to see how the market might shake out. Martin may end up being the best available option, but not necessarily the best value. I’m not sure they’d commit $13.3M to Martin this early in the process.

• Mike HC says:

That was my first reaction too. But the more you look at it, there seems to be a better chance the Yanks might be looking at even worse options later on.

And that is only one part of the equation. Will Martin accept the offer or want to test free agency? And I remember the Yanks made a handshake agreement with Javy that he would decline the offer if the Yanks made it. So maybe they will do the same with Martin and know what he would decide ahead of time.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

I doubt Martin would do the handshake agreement thing, because declining the qualifying offer could reduce his market value, since the signing team would have to forfeit a draft pick to sign him.
                    I believe Javy was a type B free agent, so the signing team didn’t have to forfeit a pick.

4. Murderers' Row Boat says:

Hey guys, who know who doesn’t need to comeback? Martin. I mean sure the pitching staff was great with him behind the plate who had a down year hitting, and finding an equalivent player would cost at least 20 million we should totally get rid of him.

5. Chuck says:

No problem with bringing Martin back but don’t give him a qualifying offer that’s dumb. Romine I’m afraid is a bust. If I had to gamble with a minor leaguer that isn’t ready it’d be jr Murphy.
    Oh yea and Gardner in center

6. Winter says:

Here’s how I see it with Martin. Only 10 catchers in baseball had better years offensively than Martin (according to baseball-reference’s oWAR). Only two of those have a shot at free agency: McCann (and I’m guessing the Braves will pick up his option, so he doesn’t really count) and Pierzynski. Let’s look at Pierzynski. Personality aside, Pierzinski put up his best year (according to oWAR) since 2003. Over 2004-2011 he averaged 1.2 oWAR per year. He had an oWAR of 3.3 in 2012. He’ll be 36 next year, there’s no way this season is repeatable. The rest of the catchers with oWAR’s above Martin’s are people like McCann, Mauer, Wieters and Posey; elite catchers like these aren’t the type of people you set out looking to sign, that just doesn’t happen. Martin, offensively, is actually a pretty good option at catcher. Martin is also just turning 30, so there’s no reason to expect his performance to decline significantly either.

TL;DR Pierzynski is not very good, Martin is actually better than we think.

7. Robinson Tilapia says:

I don’t quite exactly know, once people move away from “his name isn’t Russell Martin,” who is this great alternative at catcher.

Acting as if backups, part-time catchers, and guys named “AJ Pierzynski” would be preferable makes zero sense to me.

I’d love it if Romine could take over next year, but his back injury history is a major issue. Therefore, we’re hoping that Sanchez continues to develop in time for 2015 and look for a solid two-year solution. My frustration with him offensively for 3/4 of this season aside, there’s not much jumping out at me that I would prefer to Martin.

I’d really rather the team focus on what the hell they’re doing in RF and where CF goes post-Grandy.

8. Steve S. says:

Hey Mike, any idea who gets dropped off the 40 man to make room for Marshall? I know its too soon with all the moving FA parts, just a guesstimate.

9. Phil says:

This is a good deal for the players. Guys like Martin can get overpaid for a year and try to improve his numbers for a long term deal.
    Soriano will be offered the money….Swisher will too but I think the Yanks will hold their breath hoping he declines.

I get the feeling this is the year the Yankees have to make their move to get to 189/M by 2014. Many of these guys could be replaced by minor leaguers or low cost free agents. Cash will also stock pile many minor league free agents because that has been successful in past years.