Oct

Twelve Yankees hit free agency

A total of 137 players around the league officially hit free agency today, including a dozen Yankees: Eric Chavez, Pedro Feliciano, Freddy Garcia, Raul Ibanez, Andruw Jones, Hiroki Kuroda, Derek Lowe, Russell Martin, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera, Ichiro Suzuki, and Nick Swisher. Rafael Soriano can join them if he opts out of his contract by Wednesday’s deadline, which seems likely. Feliciano’s inclusion in the list of free agents is an indication that the Yankees have already declined his $4.5M club option. That is not surprising at all after the left-hander threw zero meaningful pitches during his time in pinstripes.

Under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, players don’t even have to file for free agency anymore. They just hit the open market. I never understood the point of that anyway. Players are free to sign with new teams starting Saturday. Click here for the full offseason schedule.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. Eddard says:

As I mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t offer Martin one penny let alone $13 million. I’d offer contracts to Mo, Andy, Hiroki and Ichiro. See if Chavy will come back for cheap again as we’ll need him to spell Nuney at 3rd once in a while. I don’t think I’d ask any of those other guys to come back and Swisher I’d personally drive to the airport even in a hurricane.

2. Mike says:

Eric Chavez: sign him
    Pedro Feliciano: let him walk
    Freddy Garcia: let him walk
    Raul Ibanez: let him walk
    Andruw Jones: let him walk
    Hiroki Kuroda: sign him
    Derek Lowe: let him walk
    Russell Martin: let him walk
    Andy Pettitte: sign him
    Mariano Rivera: sign him
    Ichiro Suzuki: sign him
    Nick Swisher: prob won’t find better so sign him
    Rafael Soriano: sign him

• Jack P says:

I hate on Martin as much as the next person, question is though, is there a better alternative?

• Steve S. says:

Cash has stated publicly that he’s a fan of Martin. So folks can hate on him all they want, he’s likely to return and for multiple years.

• Ted Nelson says:

I’m quite sure Cashman is a fan of Albert Pujols, yet he didn’t make a push to sign the guy. Probably also a fan of most good baseball players.

I do think there’s a decent chance Martin is back. Cs are quite scarce and Martin is a pretty good one. My point is just that Cashman being a “fan” of someone says little about the business decision he’s going to make.

• Ted Nelson says:

Great point.

• Winter says:

If only it were so easy that you could say “Sign Him” and instantly the player wants to come back with a reasonable contract.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Sign Martin, let Soriano walk but otherwise I agree.

3. James says:

Can you see the Yankees pick up Juan Rivera? He was just declined his option for the Dodgers so he is a free agent now?

4. RkyMtnYank says:

Hope Soriano opts out and they let him walk, that’s money much better spent anywhere else. Maybe try and buy a catcher from somebody.

• Steve S. says:

Given how public Cash was about disagreeing with the signing, the fact he’s 2 years older, the way the contract didn’t work out in year 1 and the way smart teams have built bullpens on the cheap, I can’t imagine him getting another 3 year deal from the Yanks whether Mo retires or not.

5. Jersey Joe says:

Could McGehee return if Chavez hangs up the cleats?

Maybe if the Yankees sign a lefty, DH-only like Thome, McGehee could rest ARod or Tex against righties when the DH would have the day off.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Doubtful. He was barely used when he was here and is projected at $2.9M in arbitration. The Yankees don’t seem to think highly enough of McGehee to pay him that much as a small side of the platoon backup. And if the Yankees non-tender McGehee, I’d think he’d look to sign somewhere where he has a better chance at more playing time.

• Ted Nelson says:

Agreed. I don’t mind McGehee, but you can probably find similar production at the minimum. He probably has a bit more upside, but I would just assume carry Nix and one of Nunez/CoJo/Adams/whoever.

6. Chuck says:

Man the winds are so strong even arod could hit a Homerun tonight.
    Bring back ichiro.

7. Steve S. says:

Eric Chavez-Yanks want him back, whether Alex is here or not.

Pedro Feliciano-Could you be any more gone?

Freddy Garcia-Comes back IF Yanks make a deal that involves a starter named Hughes or

Raul Ibanez-Comes back. This year’s Andruw Jones.

Andruw Jones-Not after this year.

Hiroki Kuroda-Yanks beg, plead, and pray he re-signs.

Derek Lowe-No. Thanks for the mop up work, but guys like this are a dime a dozen.

Russell Martin-Comes back, possibly on the 1 year 13.3M qualifying offer. More likely signs for 2-3 years with the Yanks.

Andy Pettitte-For as long as he wants to pitch.

Mariano Rivera-Will be back, but at a discount from his 15M salary or the Yanks let him retire.

Ichiro Suzuki-I think he will be Nck Swisher’s replacement, which may or may not work out.

Nick Swisher-Gone, mostly due to the idea that I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t get a 4-5 year offer, which the Yanks won’t match.

Rafael Soriano-Won’t be back whether Mo returns or not. Will get 2-3 year offers, which Brian won’t be on board with. This time Levine loses the debate, if he even tries to argue it.

8. Ted Nelson says:

While popular opinion seems to be against him, I actually think Feliciano might be a good guy to bring back on a minor league deal (assuming health). They should be in a good position to evaluate him, and if they feel he’s healthy a minor league deal would have little risk with a potential payoff of a high quality LOOGY. I doubt he’s getting a big league offer, though who knows? At least someone to compete with Cabral, Rapada, and RHP candidates. I’d love to see Cabral or Rapada beat him out, but it’s at least another option.

9. James says:

Apparently the Dodgers are open to trading Either…so who see’s the Yankees taking a stab at Either?

10. Joe says:

Of the group I’d re-sign Kuroda, Suzuki, Pettitte if he’s interested and either Mo or Soriano. Let everyone else walk.
    They should begin a program to bring along at least one rookie position player every year to breathe some life and enthusiasm into the over the hill gang. Next year it would be Romine. He is touted as strong defensively and it’s hard to believe he won’t hit as well as Martin who was sub .200 until September.
    Also, I’d sign Torii Hunter for 1-2 years and trade Granderson for some left side of the infield prospects. Granderson is the least valuable 40 HR 100 RBI guy imaginable and he’ll be a free agent after next year anyway.
    Of course I’d like to see A-Rod gone but if they have to eat his salary and end up with replacement who is no better what’s the point?