Oct

Cano & Teixeira take home Gold Gloves

Mark Teixeira and Robinson Cano have won the AL Gold Glove Awards at first and second base, respectively. Cano beat out the Dustins (Ackley and Pedroia) while Teixeira beat out Eric Hosmer and the since-traded Adrian Gonzalez. It’s Robbie’s second Gold Glove (2010) and Tex’s fifth (2005, 2006, 2009, 2010). Congrats to both.

Russell Martin was nominated for the Gold Glove at catcher, but Matt Wieters deservingly took home the award. No other Yankees were nominated. The full list of winners can be found here.

Categories : Asides, Defense

1. YanksFanInBeantown says:

It’s actually fairly legitimate besides CF. I’m surprised.

• Winter says:

What’s the excuse there? I understand that Gold Gloves are a popularity contest where better hitters often beat better fielders, but Trout was a better hitter this year on top of being a better defender and certainly didn’t lack for attention this season.

2. flamingo says:

Best thing I’ve heard all day.

(No competition really, I’ve heard damage reports all day.)

3. Havok9120 says:

Best possible outcome. I really do like Martin, but Wieters is a machine. And Tex was beastly on defense even when he struggled on offense which is no mean feat in and of itself.

4. MB923 says:

How do you find out what players are finalists? I thought it only lists winners which are voted by coaches/managers (who can’t vote for players on their team)

5. wow says:

what the heck is a Darwin Barney?

6. art vandelay says:

how come two pitchers won it in the AL ? how is that possible ? ha

• MB923 says:

If this is a serious question, and I’ll take it as one, it was obviously a tie in the voting

Although I have no clue how many total votes there are, but they say it’s managers and coaches from every team.