Oct

Frankenstorm Open Thread Day III

(ZUMAPRESS.com)

Yankee Stadium made it through Hurricane Sandy just fine, but millions have not. Countless people across the Tri-State Area are still without power, homes are flooded and destroyed all across the region, public transportation is a wreck … it’s going to be weeks before things get back to normal. The Yankees donated $500k to the relief effort today — “The damage and destruction to the Tri-State Area caused by Hurricane Sandy is daunting, but we have seen the great resiliency of this region before. As a neighbor and community member, the Yankees embrace our role of stepping forward and assisting the American Red Cross,” said Hal Steinbrenner in a statement — and if you want to help out as well, you can do so at the Red Cross. Every little bit helps.

Here is your open thread for the evening. You’ve got the NBA and that’s pretty much it tonight, so talk about whatever you like here as long as it’s not politics. Go bananas.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Joe F says:

No school all week!

• jjyank says:

Do you have power?

• Pat D says:

I don’t. My power went out at 10:00 Monday night and as of an hour ago wasn’t back on. A lot of places in my area have power again, as I’m currently sitting at a Panera Bread charging my laptop and my cell phone, but I’m still in the dark. My house is quite cold and it sucks, but all things considered I’m much more fortunate than most people, I’d imagine.

• jjyank says:

For sure. I just talked to my dad (in western NJ) and they’ve been told by the power company that it may be as long as 7-10 days for them. Shit sucks. My mom works in NYC and found a hotel in the city that has electricity, so at least she can shower and whatnot before work until the power comes back.

I’m the lucky one, that’s for sure. Lights didn’t even blink for me. All I got is a shit load of leaves and a few small branches in my yard, but I’m considering that to be my landlords problem anyway. I was nervous though, since I technically live in a basement. But no flooding or anything.

• Anthony says:

Same! Only good thing to come out of this mess

2. G says:

Here at NYU all but two dorms lost power… I just happened to already be camping out in one of the two hahaha. Sleeping on the floor at night but everything else is fine here. Hope everyone else is well.

3. Big Member says:

stil have lights and internet connectivety in my campus at columbia. hope yankees stadium is doing good.

4. Jay says:

According to my friends, people are trick or treating for batteries and food in Monmouth County. Very sad =/

Thanksgiving I get to go home and go see what used to be my shore

• NJ_Andy says:

Same here, I’ve seen devastating photos of Asbury/Ocean Grove/Neptune. Thanksgiving is going to be a weird mix of emotions.

• Jay says:

Yup. From my parents place you could see the Seaside pier. My High School was on sandy hook. My friends lives in Sea Bright. I go home in about a month to…. all of that gone. Fuckin sucks.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I’m in AL on a businees trip but have plane tickets to NY on Friday before returning home later in the weekend. Heading to see my mom on LI. As she’s in the middle of the island, there was no flodding and her power is now back on. By some strange luck, my brother planned a trip to see her this week, so he was there with her during the whole thing (she’s 91, turning 92 in January and still primarily lives on her own at the house I grew up in). We lost a big tree in the backyard and the mast with the power lines came off the house, creating a small hole in the roof. Overall, very limited damage. She was quite lucky. I feel bad for the people that lost so much.

I’ll also be returnung to NY next week to see my daughter at college (family weekend at Fordham). Fortunately the Bronx wasn’t hit bad. They lost internet connectivity for a bit but never lost power.

• Robinson Tilapia (We go hard) says:

Park Slope, Brooklyn continues to be such a strange place to me. There’s such a sense of normalcy here, yet I spend my day talking to friends in Manhattan, or even southern Brooklyn, who are in drastically different situations.

Business is booming here.

I am floored to see the type of subway coverage returning tomorrow. This city is a model of resilience for the world.

5. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Here is Baseball America’s Yankee Top 10.
    1 Mason Williams
    2 Slade Heathcott
    3 Gary Sanchez
    4 Tyler Austin
    5 Jose Campos
    6 Brett Marshall
    7 Angelo Gumbs
    8 Manny Banuelos
    9 Ty Hensley
    10 Rafael DePaula

• jjyank says:

Interesting. I don’t pretend to be an expert on prospects, but am I the only one surprised that Heathcott surpassed Sanchez?

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

That one surprised me too. I guess it means BA will put him in their Top 100 and probably means top 4 will all be Top 100. DePaula at 10 also surprised me. BA says he will make an aggressive jump to High A (Tampa) next year. Gumbs at 7 was somewhat surprising too.

• smart guy says:

Its ok, you think Swisher is good so we all know you know nothing about baseball but I’m kind of surprised.

• Robinson Tilapia (We go hard) says:

Sounds like a potential win-win to me.

6. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

idk if this link will work but it’s a view from space of the US last night…it’s insane if it’s real.

7. Drew says:

New Star Wars….mind blown

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

seriously, how does the world feel about this? I mean part of me is petrified after the prequel trilogy that I don’t like admitting exists, but since Lucas is going to have almost nothing to do with it part of me wants to be excited. I’m going to wait to see who they put in charge of writing and directing. I really hope they give it to Joss Whedon (mainly because of his awesome work on Firefly)

• jjyank says:

I’m in the same boat. I love Star Wars, so I’m excited…at the same time, episodes 1-3 were enough butchering for me. I don’t want it to get cheapened further.

• Robinson Tilapia (We go hard) says:

I didn’t mind episodes II and III. I thought the acting was terrible, but the stories needed to be told. Episode I belongs with the Clone Wars and Ewoks cartoons.

• jjyank says:

Yes, but the acting WAS terrible. Hayden Christenson just played a whiney little bitch, and he was supposed to become Darth Fucking Vader? And the love story was over the top, IMO.

I actually liked Episode 1 more. Jar-Jar Binks sicked, but Qui-Gon Jin was sweet. Also, I enjoyed the pod racing.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

Qui-Gon was awesome. I personally disliked 3 the least, followed by 1, and I absolutely loathed 2.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Whedon has been awesome since BTVS.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

You can even argue that Buffy was good. I never personally watched the show, but it must have a huge cult following for a reason.

• Robinson Tilapia (We go hard) says:

I’m not sure I’d want it in Whedon’s hands.

Honestly, I’m a purist. If you’re going to do anything, there’s plenty of good stories in the books to pluck. The Grand Admiral Thrawn stuff would be great.

If you’re going in an original direction, shit better be good.

I’m mostly afraid for my life with this.

8. Anyone else into SantaCon? It’s on Dec 15th this year in the city!

It’s such a great day in the city. Has anyone else done it?

9. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Anyone hearing on local NY news when the estimated re-open date is for LaGuardia?

10. Randi says:

Good to see all of you here and doing ok.

Miraculously I’ve been on vacation the past week. I was supposed to come home Wednesday, but the earliest flight to NYC I was able to get was Saturday evening.

I work and live in “Zone A” areas, and both experienced bad flooding. Its mind boggling seeing what’s going on. Luckily I live in an apt building on the 7th floor so my apartment is probably fine but I still don’t know the condition of my building.

11. Pat D says:

My power came back on about 15 minutes ago. So naturally the first thing I do is come back to this thread. :)

My two cents on the Star Wars deal: I’m both highly interested and highly terrified. First of all, when I was at Panera checking on all the news I’d been missing (like no Office spin-off now apparently), and I saw “Star Wars Episode VII” trending on Yahoo, I figured it was a joke. Imagine my surprise. I find it interesting that the deal was $50,000 more than Disney’s purchase of Marvel, too. You know that was Lucas’ ego.

As for the possibilities of new films, they say it won’t use existing EU stuff, which is probably just as well. However, I’d absolutely love to see Thrawn. You don’t need to adapt the Zahn books or anything, but using the character would be cool. That of course presents another conundrum. Does anyone want to see different people playing established characters? I really don’t, since I pretty much hold the original movies as my Bible/Holy Grail/name your religious artifact here.

I think it is interesting to see Lucas step aside (just wish he’d let other people have more input on the prequels), and that could end up being a bad thing if Disney has people mess with established stuff. Hopefully they let some of the Pixar guys have a crack at some story ideas, even if their last two movies have been underwhelming.

As for a director? Screw Whedon (as Carter Pewterschmidt said in Family Guy It’s A Trap!, “Buffy was never popular. Entertainment Weekly said it was popular, but it wasn’t.”). Gotta go with Nolan. Then again, after being tied to Batman, I’ll bet Nolan is wanting to do his own thing. Which if it means more stuff like Memento and Inception, I’m cool with it.

2015 could be an interesting movie year between this, Avengers 2, and maybe Justice League. Now you just have to hope they don’t suck.

• Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Popular? What’s that? Buffy was cursed by it’s name. Name that series Fear & Trembling In Sunydale and it’s a mainstream success.