Oct

Martin, Teixeira, and Cano among Gold Glove finalists

Russell Martin, Mark Teixeira, and Robinson Cano have been announced as finalists for the Gold Glove Award at their respective positions. Martin is up against Alex Avila, Matt Wieters, and A.J. Pierzynski while Cano will compete with the Dustins — Pedroia and Ackley. Teixeira is up against Eric Hosmer and Adrian Gonzalez, who I assume won’t win since he was traded to the Dodgers in August.

I’m surprised Derek Jeter isn’t a finalist at shortstop considering how well he hit this year. Gold Gloves are more of a popularity contest than an actual measure of defensive excellence. Anyway, the awards will be announced tomorrow night.

Categories : Asides

1. Richard Leo says:

Cano and Tex should win

2. vin says:

My money is Pedroia, Tex and Weiters.

3. RkyMtnYank says:

“I’m surprised Derek Jeter isn’t a finalist at shortstop considering how well he hit this year.” Holy shit is that a total contradiction even considering your popularity comment! I think they learned something since Palmeiro beat Tino years ago!

4. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

Well at least RAB still has power.

5. Platano Man says:

Andre Ethier for A-Rod sounds like I found a match for Cashman lol

• 0 for infinity and beyond says:

Meh. Not sure I’d want to see the Yankees make that trade. I see you’re logic in that it rids the Yankees of A-Rod and plugs a hole in RF but I’m not much an Ethier fan. Maybe Cashman can do his best Cherington impression and get the Dodgers to throw some prospects the Yankees way and not have to include money.

Wishful thinking :)

6. Malcard89 says:

“Gold Gloves are more of a popularity contest than an actual measure of defensive excellence.”

Mike, Let’s not be overcynical now! Let’s just be glad to have players that are in the conversation for this award.

7. DJ4K&Monterowasdinero says:

Martin had a few good games but hardly Gold Glove caliber this year.

• 0 for infinity and beyond says:

BUT HE FRAMES PITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. 0 for infinity and beyond says:

Sounds like someone is still bitter he wasn’t chosen as prom king :)

9. Jim says:

I agree with the popularity contest concept. It still makes me mad that a 25 game Palmero beat out Tino Martinez for the gold.

10. Brendan says:

What, David Ortiz isn’t in the running at 1B? 1.000 fielding percentage! Tops in the league!

11. roland says:

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i’m satisfied to convey that I have a very good uncanny feeling I found out exactly what I needed. I most certainly will make certain to don?t put out of your mind this website and provides it a look on a relentless basis.