Oct

Update: MLB announces new broadcasting deals with FOX and TBS

Oct. 3rd: MLB announced both agreements, which take effect in 2014. For us fans, the biggest piece of news is that the blackout rules for nationally broadcast FOX Saturday games will be lifted. If you live outside of the Tri-State area, you’ll now be able to click on MLB.tv to watch the Yankees on Saturdays regardless of who FOX is broadcasting locally. That’s awesome. Richard Sandomir has some more details as well.

Sept. 20th, 7:05pm: Maury Brown has the actual figures. Each club currently gets $23.72M annually in nationally television money, and that will increase to $50M with the new deals. So the revenue more than doubled just like that. Wow.

5:30pm: Via the AP, MLB is nearing new eight-year broadcasting contracts with FOX and TBS that will run through 2021. The new deals are expected to approximately double the revenue the league receives from the networks to about $800M. FOX gets to keep exclusive World Series rights while the two stations split the other postseason rounds.

At the moment, each of the 30 clubs gets something like $10-15M annually from the league’s broadcasting deals, but that figures to go up considerably with the new contracts. Not all $800M goes to the teams, but a huge chunk of it does. The Yankees already have more money than everyone else, so the extra revenue doesn’t really help them, but it will help direct competitors like the Rays, Blue Jays, and Orioles.

Categories : Asides, News

1. Ian says:

Reports say it would go through 2021.

2. Preston says:

Ugh, I hate FOX, Joe Buck is the worst.

3. Get Phelps Up says:

Maybe by 2021 Fox will realize that Tim McCarver sucks.

4. Januz says:

The main thing that makes or breaks teams are their regional cable deals (Such as what the Rangers and Angels got). As far as the Jays and Rays are concerned, they will not be on the level (Long-term)with the Yankees as long as they can’t draw flies to the Rogers Centre & The Trop, or get multi-million dollar cable deals. The Orioles are different. Camden (Like Fenway) is a great ballpark, so they will draw fans if they play well.

• Laz says:

Yes, but it really doesn’t hurt to get the $50M a year now from this deal. Thats most of the payroll of some teams.

5. Jimmy McNulty says:

For all the shit that we give ESPN their presentation is pretty good, they do a lot with their websites, and they promote the fuck out of their games. I wish ESPN would get the playoffs.

6. RetroRob says:

I see MLB continues to suffer!

Seriously, $50M will cover some teams’ payrolls before anything else.

• Laz says:

And that is largely do to the very good clubs. How often do you see the Mariners or Royals on Fox? It’s more revenue sharing because teams like the Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Phillies are able to bring in most of the games.

• RetroRob says:

That’s true. The big-market teams, and by far and away the Yankees are helping to drive that. I believe I read recently that ESPN and FOX agreed to show more teams so that it’s not a high percentage of Yankee-Red Sox games. My first reaction was great, because I don’t like that everytime the Yankees play the Red Sox the Saturday and Sunday games are never on YES and the Sunday game is a night game. Then I realized it might be bad. The Yankees may appear in more games, now also playing the Royals and the Twins on the game of the week!

• CountryClub says:

They will feature more teams but they also got the right to have more games with the premium teams (Yanks, Dodgers, Sox, Phillies, etc…).

So your fear is probably correct.

7. Ricky says:

I wish they can show MLB games on CBS or NBC cuz FOX is just terrible…

8. dp says:

It’s good for the smaller market teams with the larger market teams wanting to stay under 189 to keep their revenue sharing dollars.

9. Maury Brown says:

Thanks for pointing to my tweet on this story. I do want to point out that I have created a table showing how much is increasing in each of the extensions as well as the total amount over the life of the agreements, including the recent one with ESPN, here:

MLB on Cusp of TV Extensions with FOX, TBS That Will Net $800M Annually

• CountryClub says:

I see that you show teams getting 50 mil each per yr with the new deal. Obviosuly, that’s a huge increase over the current money. But are they really going to get 50 mil each? I’ve read that the teams don’t really break up the full 1.5 bil. That there are expenses, etc… that are paid out first.

• RetroRob says:

I see Maury left that message a few weeks back. You might want to leave him that question over on his site. He’s pretty good at answering.

10. Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

They’re lifting the FOX Saturday blackout? FINALLY! It was so stupid. I live in the midwest so I’d always be stuck with Cubs or Cardinals even if they were awful teams. Great move, Bud.

What I don’t like is MLB Network airing postseason games. I don’t get that channel because my cable provider doesn’t carry it. Put the games on channels people can get.

• jjyank says:

Really, you don’t get MLBN? I have a pretty basic cable package, on account of me not making much money presently. Even I get it.

• Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

Nope. And it’s not even on the Sports package they make me pay extra for just to get the NFL Network. Maybe the playoff games on the MLB Network will put pressure on them to get it.

• Laz says:

I’m excited about that too. I won’t be living in the northeast next season, so I won’t be getting those fox yankees games.

• Phil says:

I agree, Ed. My A’s finally qualify for postseason and I was stuck hooking up my flatscreen to a pirated web stream of a channel my Comcrap package doesn’t carry. Nice move, BUd!
      BTW, Bud, the A’s want a new shiny ballpark. Get OUT of the F$%^ing way!

11. Squints says:

Why cant they let Vin Scully do the World Series? I mean cmon Joe Buck is dreadful, McCarver is a straight homer for St. Louis and sucks otherwise.

12. Captain_Turbo says:

MLB.tv needs to lift all blackouts. It’s ridiculous to pay that kind of money and not get all the games.