Oct

Swept: Tigers bounce Yankees from ALCS in four games

After all the homers, all the injuries, all the RISPFAIL, all the Raul Ibanez game-saving dingers, all 98 wins and 171 games … the 2012 season is over for the Yankees. The Tigers swept them out of the ALCS in four games, capping off the series with a lopsided 8-1 win on Thursday.

(Jonathan Daniel/Getty)

The Pitching Bubble Bursts

The lineup did next to nothing offensively during the entire postseason, but it wasn’t until Game Four against Detroit that the pitching staff started to crumble. CC Sabathia carried the Yankees to the ALCS with an utterly dominant showing against the Orioles in the ALDS, but he was unable to repeat that kind of success against the Tigers in Game Four. His defense (more on that in a second) betrayed him early and the long ball bit him late, and the end result was six runs (five earned) on eleven hits (!) and two walks in just 3.2 innings. Sabathia threw 93 mostly ugly pitches.

A five-pitcher parade of relievers allowed two tack-on runs — both solo homers, one by Austin Jackson (off Derek Lowe) and one by Jhonny Peralta (off David Robertson) — in 4.1 innings. The Yankees struck out just four of 44 hitters in Game Four and just seven of 80 hitters in the final two games of the series. Pitching was not the reason the Yankees were eliminated in the ALCS, though it certainly didn’t help the cause in Game Four.

(Jonathan Daniel/Getty)

LMAOffense

The Yankees didn’t hit a lick all postseason and that continued on Thursday, as they were two-hit by Max Scherzer and three relievers. Eduardo Nunez tripled to left-center to leadoff the sixth, breaking up the no-hitter, and two batters later Nick Swisher doubled to right-center to plate the team’s only run of the game. Ichiro Suzuki, Mark Teixeira, and Jayson Nix all drew walks and Nunez reached on an error as well. That’s it, six total baserunners. The final nine Yankees of the season made outs.

All told, New York hit a whopping .177 in the ALCS, the second lowest team batting average in a best-of-seven series in baseball history. They hit .188 in the postseason overall, the second worst mark in franchise history behind the 1963 squad (.171 in only four games). Robinson Cano had one hit in the series and finished the ALCS with a .098 OBP, the lowest by any player in playoff history (min. 35 PA). His .075 average was the fourth lowest in history. That’s hard to believe. Swisher didn’t hit, Curtis Granderson didn’t hit, Alex Rodriguez didn’t hit, Russell Martin didn’t hit, no one outside of Ibanez, Ichiro, and Nunez hit. A-Rod, by the way, went 0-for-2 off the bench and flew out with two men on-base against lefty Drew Smyly to end the sixth.

Derpfense

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

The scoreboard says the Yankees only committed two errors as a team, but they have the hometown scorer to thank for that. Eric Chavez misplayed a routine ground ball in the first (he froze instead of charged), allowing Omar Infante to beat it out and eventually come around to score. That’s a play that has to be made by a big league third baseman. Teixeira whiffed on not one, but two ground balls in the third inning, leading to another run. The first whiff was ruled a hit for Prince Fielder, which was a pretty ridiculous scoring decision. Teixeira had the ball in the pocket of his glove before flubbing it. He made just one error in the regular season and what should have been two in the third inning of this game.

Anyway, Nunez made two funny plays in the first five innings. First he made play on a ground ball ranging to his left, but the throw to first was a lawn dart right into the ground and the runner was safe. I don’t think he would have gotten him anyway, but the throw was wretched. Secondly, he mistimed a jump on a little line drive/fly ball (fliner) and had the ball clank off of his glove and drop for a hit. Neither play was routine, but still. Not pretty.

(Leon Halip/Getty)

Leftovers

Joe Girardi used all of his position players, though the array of pinch-hitters didn’t help at all. The Yankees had ten total hits and two runs in the final 30.1 innings of the series following Ibanez’s game-tying homer in the ninth inning of Game One. That’s just unfathomable. Brett Gardner went 0-for-3 in Game Four and also slid head first into first base in the third inning. He missed the entire season with an elbow injury and still dove head first into first. Gritty or stupid? Both?

Joba Chamberlain allowed two hits (one of which I thought was catchable, but whatever) but escaped the seventh inning when he stuck out his back leg and make a kick save on Gerald Laird’s ground out. It was a nice but totally lucky play, and I’m surprised the ball didn’t shatter his ankle. Joba has that kind of luck, you know? He, Cody Eppley, and Clay Rapada were more effective that Lowe and Robertson. Rafael Soriano threw exactly one inning in the series.

I give Girardi a hard time and he catches a lot of grief in general, it comes with being the Yankees manager, but I commend him for the job he did while dealing with the loss of his father. I’ve been there and it’s a very tough thing. I can’t imagine dealing with it in the middle of the postseason. Joe’s definitely a trooper.

Box Score & WPA Graph

MLB.com has the box score and video highlights. The Tigers are the first team to ever beat the Yankees in three straight postseason series (2006, 2011, 2012), which sucks. The Yankees were swept for the first time since 1980, a span of 36 playoff series. That’s the longest such streak in history. The Yankees also didn’t hold a lead at any point in the series, the first time they’ve done that since the 1963 World Series. I suppose the good news is that New York has been swept four times before (1922, 1963, 1976, 1980), and each time they rebounded to make the World Series the next year.

Source: FanGraphs

Up Next

Well, I guess it’s time for the offseason now. Spring Training is 120 days away, give or take, so between now and then we’ll spend our team reviewing the season that was, breaking down potential roster moves, all sorts of stuff. It was a good year with a crappy ending. Thanks for sticking around.

Categories : Game Stories, Playoffs

1. Eddard says:

Well done this season, Mike. RAB is a great site with daily articles and well thought out analysis. Should be a very interesting offseason and I look forward to the coverage on this site. Embarrassing way to end the season but they’ll reload like they always do.

• Danny C says:

Thanks mike for a great year, i rarely post, just enjoy reading all the regulars posts daily and instead of going to espn or mlb.com i always come here first for all my yankees information. What a horrific way to end the season, but now I look forward to the hot stove and hopefully cashman can make some good changes. Its very therapuetic to come to this site and realize im not the only nut job who actually gets upset when the yanks loss. Im so disgusted with them its sad to think about what could have been.

2. detroit_yankee says:

“A five-pitcher parade of relievers allowed two tack-on runs — both solo homers, one by Miguel Cabrera (off Derek Lowe) and one by Jhonny Peralta (off David Robertson) — in 4.1 innings.”

**Edit: one by Austin Jackson (off Derek Lowe)

Cabrera’s homer was off CC.

I know it feels crappy at the moment, but you guys are always consistent with your story accuracy…

3. eric k says:

I’ll miss the flow of the baseball season — so much easier to work late if i can put the game on mlb radio

4. Eddard says:

So are the Tigers the new Angels? This is two years in a row now that they’ve got us. I don’t see them going away anytime soon as they’ll have their 3-4 hitters locked up and they’ll get Verlander locked up. They play in the worst division in baseball so they can win 87-90 games and get all the privileges of any other division winner.

It’s just really annoying how guys like Fister and Scherzer shut down the lineup two years in a row and their bullpen full of overweight castoffs manages to do just enough to close it out. And then there’s Delmon Young…

5. cr1 says:

Saddened by a postseason offense that ranged from embarrassing to disgraceful, by the Captain broken, by stadium fans who were often hateful and repulsive, when not simply absent. Consoled a bit by a pitching staff that would have been perfectly adequate if given moderate to decent run support.

Ready for a rest.

6. Winter says:

This is also the first time since 1948 that Kentucky has won the NCAA’s men’s basketball championship but the Yankees didn’t win the World Series.

7. Zack says:

Sad to say,I’m not surprised. Our 95 win season hid the fact that all season long,the Yanks struggled to hit with RISP and bases loaded scenarios…yuck. Throw in the fact without homers they couldn’t score in many of their games.
    This LCS just highlighted the flaws many of us said this team had all year long.

8. Mike says:

It’s not over yet. Not yet.

9. Evan says:

I support everything said. I don’t comment much here…I feel like there are enough voices without mine, but I just wanna say thank you RAB. You guys are great, and while the comments can occasionally go completely off the rails, I think that you are all very level-headed when it comes to matters for such a polarizing team.

My one piece of input (other than hoping to god the trolls go away) is that we don’t get rid of ARod. He might have been abysmal this postseason, but I really do think he’s a good coach for the younger guys, and still has something left in the tank (granted not 20mm+ per year’s worth). The Yanks make a career of banking on old veterans playing well, and I genuinely do believe that Mr. Rodriguez has as least one more good year left in him (even if it means seeing Kobe’s doctor every day of the offseason).

In the end, it was not a great year, but we showed up (until this round), and played good baseball. I’m confident that we’re a top 4 team any/every year, and I don’t think next year will be any different.

Go Yanks!

• jjyank says:

I’d like to echo this sentiment. Also, I’m glad to see some newer posters come out of the lurk zone. I was there not too long ago.

As I said in the previous thread, I’m damn proud of this team. And I’m damn confident they will be good again next year.

I hope this poor ALCS showing doesn’t sour everyone on the last 6-7 months. It was a great, exciting season. Cherish it, and look forward to 2013!

• wolfgang's Fault says:

This team was running on fumes from the all-star break on, barely holding on to win the division & barely sending home an improved but mediocre Oriole team. IF the core guys were still relatively close to their primes, I’d probably go along w/your sentiments. They’re not, & it’s time for a major rebuild.

I’m not even impressed w/the pitching & believe CC should be available in the winter if the right deal comes along. Any or all of CC, Granderson, Cano, Swisher, Martin, should be dealt in the right deals or allowed to walk & a variety of replacements should be found internally, in trades, or in FA’s. If another bad contract could be swapped for ARod’s deal, that should be explored, & if its doable, they should get it done. Alex needs a change of scenery & the Yankees need to turn the page.

This club is not going to win again w/a patch job. The entire foundation needs to be rebuilt. Sometimes you’ve gotta take a few steps backwards to move forward, & lowering the payroll & loading up w/strong-armed young pitchers & talented younger players w/a smattering of veteran role players mixed in is the way to get on w/it. W/a lowered payroll, Cashman or whomever is calling the shots this winter will have a lot more flexibility in finding the right combination of players to move into the future with. It’s time, people. Thanks for the memories, 2012 Yankees, but it’s time to go in a different direction.

• jjyank says:

I fundamentally disagree. You don’t blow up the best team in the league. I love how you say with such certainty that they just won’t win next year and need to rebuild.

10. Andrew J. says:

Two hits. Embarrassing.

11. WHIPunk says:

Hell hath no fury like a Steinbrenner scorned… besta watch your back Alex.

• Danny C says:

You are correct but it seems like the only steinbrenner who gave a shit was George, i think bad times are ahead for us with hal running the team, i hope they sell

• jjyank says:

Because George was SO GREAT after 1978. Right?

Bullshit. I love the Steinbrenners too, but can we stop waxing poetic about the wonderful days of George? If he hadn’t gotten banned from baseball, would the Yankees have had that 90′s dynasty? But he was so GREAT, right? Hal is TERRIBLE because he…doesn’t spend money wildly? Except for CC/AJ/Tex in the same offseason? I really, really, really dislike this narrative, If you couldn’t already tell.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

Yelling louder did not mean giving more of a shit.

• BeanTooth says:

Never forget that the only reason the Yanks were able to build that ’90s dynasty was because George was kicked out of the game for several years, and the braintrust had free reign. George may have gave a shit, but all too often that translated to really stupid moves.

12. Jonathan says:

So out of all that about ARod Chavez doesn’t get a single fucking hit and made a pivotal error in Game 2 while making another bad play in this game. No manager could do anything with the offense Girardi was given but I think Kevin Long has to go. How a team that had a lineup COMPLETELY filled with All-Stars at one point (Martin/Tex/Cano/Jeter/ARod/Ichiro/Grandy/Swisher/Ibanez) could somehow hit worse than most pitchers do over that long of a stretch is just incredible to me. I’d honestly love to see how many pitchers this year hit better than the Yankees as a whole this post season. I was wondering how weird it would be to celebrate a WS victory with Soriano on the mound and Nix/Nunez at SS but looks like we don’t have to worry about that anymore. I’m not sure how to significantly improve this team, especially offensively….I guess Justin Upton to fill in in RF when Swisher leaves. I’m just waiting for that team to be 1 year older and without Jeter having a ridiculous year. Not pretty. Maybe next year if we get the best record in the league we won’t be punished so severely either.

13. goterpsgo says:

I hope every game during the World Series goes 19 innings over 7 games, the starters get shellacked, the benches and bullpens used up, and the ratings terrible.

14. Jarrod says:

Today felt like euthanasia and now that it is all over I kind of feel relieved. Having to watch that offense any further would be considered a form of torture.

Big thanks to Mike and the RAB gang, I love this site dearly and it continually gets me through laborious days at work with some very good analysis and a nice mix of humour.

The offseason appears as though it will be an interesting one (A-Rod, Swish, Robbie Ext?, Grandy trade?) so I’m sure you guys will be busy.

15. CUYanks says:

At least the Yankees outlasted all of their AL East competitors. Here’s to hoping that can happen next year, as well.

16. Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

Things I plan never do again in my life: Think about today’s game.

17. Anthony says:

Mike, Ben, Joe, and the rest of the RAB Crew.

Congrats on a job well done. You did a great job. Having RAB as a guide to get acquainted with the Yanks and the baseball world this year has been nothing but enjoyable. Thanks for all of your efforts.

A big thanks also to the RAB regular commenters too, for providing their viewpoints, perspectives, and laughs.

Here’s to next season!

18. DZ says:

There was a very different feel to this yankee team than most other recent ones. The best way to describe it was passive. They continuously played not to lose instead of just to win. I think a lot of moves will be made this offseason, and the team will have big upgrades in the outfield just from changing style of play.

I don’t expect to see granderson or swisher back next year, and part of me says martin could be gone too. I think the best idea would be to try and hold onto one/two out of sanchez williams and Austin. Then package some pieces together (along with potentially more prospects from a granderson trade) to get an impact cost controlled right fielder (upton/cargo). This should allow them to not completely deplete the farm.

Lf – Ichiro/Nunez
    Cf – Gardner
    Rf – upgrade

The infield as we all know is going to be tough to fix because of the Arod and Tex deals. I know Pierzynski had a great year, but if Cash could bring him in to start or if he struggles, maybe platoon him with Russ, they could have a pretty good offensive backstop next season. Shoppach and Napoli are also guys I would take a look at.

• wolfgang's Fault says:

They should not be dealing any of Sanchez, Williams, & Austin. They need to hold onto their prospects. It’s players like Robbie, Granderson, & CC who should be given a long evaluation on whether they’re the guys to take the club to the next level & are they worth it for what they’ll expect to be paid in their new deals or in CC’s case current deal. There’s a lot of talent in their farm system, some of it flying under the radar. They need to develop it to the Major League level & that takes patience along w/a vision of the what the club should look like 2-3 years from now.

• DZ says:

Right, get rid of the best hitter and pitcher this team has. good call. Can i remind you of the way CC shut down the O’s? Or the fact that Robbie put the team on his back the last 10 days of the season and essentially got us the al east by himself?

19. RetroRob says:

Are we sure the ball off Joba’s leg didn’t shatter his ankle? He has great recuperative powers and he might have healed between innings.

20. Impossible for me to believe that win last Friday against the Orioles was the last win of 2012.

If Saturday was the last we’ll see of Andy Pettitte, I’ll never forgive this offense. Same thing with Sunday and Mr. Hirok. Those two were absolute godsends this season – remarkable pitching by both of them. Shame both outings were wasted.

And, of course, Mr. Ibanez. If the Yankees had won the World Series this year, Raul would be a Yankee Legend forever, with the insane clutch home runs he came up with time and time again. He was truly unbelievable. And just when you thought there was no way he could do it again, he did.

Unfortunately, his home run in Game 1 of this series was about the only cheer-worthy event of the entire series. I have never seen the Yankees offense look this impotent – absolutely nothing ever seemed to energize the bats.

The explosion in the 9th inning of Game 1, the shift to the Bronx, the start of the ALCS, the shift to Detroit, and a ton of momentous Ibanez home runs in between, and the offense remained ever-moribund. Man. Odds are, there will be two 88-74 teams in the World Series this year. Talk about your missed opportunities.

At the same rate, though, at least this team did won at least one playoff series. They’re higher than 2002, 2006, or 2011 for that alone. Hopefully with some re-tooling in 2013, things will be better come October. I guess it couldn’t be any worse.

On a final sidenote: I guess we all know how Twins fans feel now when they play the Yankees in the playoffs. Twins can’t beat the Yankees, and the Yankees can’t beat the Tigers. Too bad for Twins fans that they won’t have the chance to beat the Tigers for a long time to come, to complete this proverbial Bermuda Triangle.

Not sure what else to say. The football team I root for seems to be decent (at best), but nothing special. The hockey team I root for isn’t even playing right now, so I really don’t have a whole ton to look forward to for the next few months. All I know is I’ll be a sucker waiting for more punishment in 2013 from the Yankees when they invariably piss us off. At this point, I have no idea what to expect, where to peg them in the standings, etc.

All I know is that if they meet the Tigers in the playoffs again, it will be even higher fucking time to give those Detroit assholes some payback. That 3-10 playoff record is unforgivable. Atonement time is way past overdue.

As an old friend of mine used to say – I’ll see you when I see you, RAB.

• RetroRob says:

Regarding Pettitte, I actually think there was a better chance he would retire again if the Yankees won the World Series. My guess is he’ll be back, hoping to get a full season in with a better ending.

21. ClayDavis says:

Remember that time cashman drafted that guy that could hit? Me neither

22. Gary says:

Thanks for making baseball season more fun and informative. Thanks also for all the tweets, esp during games. RAB is wonderful.

23. yanks or death says:

great job this year mike and crew. this site always has good reads. yanks embarrassed the shit outta themselves in alcs. like u said it was a good year with a bad ending. interesting off-season for sure. bye nick swisher. gotta get younger (but re-sign kuroda and pettitte) and try to move arod among other things.

24. Kempire Strikes Back says:

Haven’t posted in a while, but I’ve followed the website almost daily and that’s made the daily grind of RISPfails and general underachieving much more tolerable. Overall you can’t say it was a bad year. The ending just left us all with a bad taste in our mouths. This offseason is shaping up to be a pretty interesting one at least. Here’s to 2013, everyone.

Go Cardinals/Giants. Actually, I wouldn’t be upset if the Tigers did win it all. Their city sure could use a boost.

25. Michael Cole and Tazz says:

A-Rod seemed peeved in his post-game interview. He had a fire to him.

My bet, he bounces back. Keep him.

• wolfgang's Fault says:

Let it rest already. He had a busted hand courtesy of King Felix, & he never really got his game back when he returned, which is not to say he was amazing before that because he wasn’t. He probably was mishandled by Yankee Mgt. this post-season, but he’s going to be 38 next year folks. If you can get out from under his deal for anything approaching reasonable, you do it.

Time to move on & rebuild this club. IMO, if they come back next season w/basically the same club w/a few cosmetic changes, they won’t even come close to playing post-season baseball & another year will have past without doing what has to be done, which is to start in earnest rebuilding the ball club.

26. Joe Kotulak says:

Yankees don’t stress youth and expectedly it comes back to bite them in the a**. Avisail Garcia a 21 year old comes through with big hit after big hit for the Tigers. Jackson contributes with a homerun in game 4 and a key triple in game 1. And the only player that really did contribute for the Yankees ironically enough was Eduado Nunez a young player. We can find exceptions to the rule where veterans can get it done against good pitching, but more times than not we’re seeing more young guys coming through than we are older guys. The late 90s run it was different. The average age of the position player was older back then and I think because of the past people overrate the importance of veterans. Most of the guys on the Tigers had little or no postseason experience with Miguel Cabrera being the one exception.

How is it the Yankees are willing to use Nova a starter, Hughes a starter, Pineda eventually as a starter, but they weren’t willing to give any one of the guys they traded away one stinking year in the majors. The common misconception for trading young hitting talent away is that they are all potential in terms of their stats. Well the importance of playing young hitters goes well beyond the stats they puts up, it’s about the intangibles a young player brings to a team. Just look at Nunez in this series, forget about whatever stats he would or could put up hitting wise, he was important regardless because he can give a team energy. He can give a team passion. You can’t teach someone like an Alex Rodriguez to play with passion of an Eduardo Nunez to give a team a spark, it just isn’t like that. Yankees have too many veterans and not enough youth, it’s as simple as that.

• LK says:

I’m sorry, but is this post actually serious?

“Most of the guys on the Tigers had little or no postseason experience with Miguel Cabrera being the one exception.”

The Tigers were in the playoffs last year. Jackson, Miggy, Young, Peralta, Avila, Verlander, Fister, Scherzer, Valverde, Benoit, Coke…we faced them all in the playoffs last year. And Prince, their biggest pickup, was also in the playoffs last year. Many of them had also been in the playoffs in previous seasons. The Tigers had a couple guys making their playoff debut, mostly because the guy the Tigers had in those positions to start the season completely suck.

“And the only player that really did contribute for the Yankees ironically enough was Eduado Nunez a young player. We can find exceptions to the rule where veterans can get it done against good pitching, but more times than not we’re seeing more young guys coming through than we are older guys.”

Nunez played well enough when he was in there, sure. You know who the Yankees actual best hitters of the playoffs were? Jeter, Ichiro, and Ibanez. All old guys. I don’t disagree with the idea they need to get younger, but citing the performance in this postseason is pretty much the opposite of what you want to do to demonstrate that.

“Well the importance of playing young hitters goes well beyond the stats they puts up, it’s about the intangibles a young player brings to a team. Just look at Nunez in this series, forget about whatever stats he would or could put up hitting wise, he was important regardless because he can give a team energy. He can give a team passion. You can’t teach someone like an Alex Rodriguez to play with passion of an Eduardo Nunez to give a team a spark, it just isn’t like that.”

What do you mean Nunez gave the team a spark? By playing well? Because then 40-year-old Raul Ibanez gave the team more of a spark. Do you mean inspired the rest of the team to play better? Because the offense was fucking awful after Nunez was inserted into the lineup – worse than they were with Jeter.

Sorry to pile on here, but good grief.

27. pistol pete says:

Swisher’s gone and Granderson’s option will be picked up. They might trade him with his gaudy numbers and reasonable contract but I’m not sure they’ll get a fair package in return. The Yankees have a lot of holes next year. Jeter can’t play ss anymore and if ARod stays it’s strictly as a dh. Jeter to 3b. Need an impact RH bat for the outfield. Maybe Grandy and some prospects and pay some of Grandy’s $13m for Upton. I’d still like to get Mauer from Minnesota, they’d love to dump his huge contract and our catching has stunk for years now.

• DC says:

Just like last year when you said Jeter wouldn’t hit anymore?

• wolfgang's Fault says:

Better try trading a player a year too soon than a year too late. Jeter had a great year but he still broke down physically before it was all over. Both he & the club are spent & its time to turn the page, lower the payroll, promote from within, look for bargains, & start stockpiling quality arms, quality veteran role players, prospects, & acquiring foundation player Free Agents when they become available & the fit is right.

28. Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

(Repost from end of last thread)

You have a choice: Remember 167 games, or remember four games. Perhaps those last four will sting more tonight, but my hope is that the good memories of this rollercoaster of a season will become more vivid for some over time.

What this team did without Mariano Rivera this year was heroic. I’m damn proud. Yeah, the last four games were about the shittiest I’ve seen since the early 90?s, but that’s what they’ll become over time: Four fucking games.

We’ll start off hot stove fun later. For now, though? Thank you, New York Yankees and thank you, Mike, for taking this little blog and making it an even bigger obscene fucking behemoth this year.

As long as there’s boring work to do during the day and nights spent with a sleeping baby and wife, you bet I’ll be here in the off-season.

• jjyank says:

This team came over (I’m going to use my own term from an earlier thread) a metric fuck ton of adversity to get to where they ended up. And I applaud them for that.

They’ll be back. They’ll be better. And we’ll have RAB to enjoy it. Or pick it apart, limb from limb. Depending on who you are.

• TSJC used the phrase “metric fuckton”, like, a metric fuckton of the time.

While newer blood (like, well, you) is very good in and of itself, I do wish many of the bygone commenters of RAB past would back, even if they only commented sparingly. There were some excellent commenters.

• jjyank says:

I know. I’m not a “bygone commenter” by any means, but I’ve read RAB since it’s inception. I know who those guys were, even if I wasn’t involved.

I hope to contribute to the community going forward, though.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

I’d love to hear from some of them again too, but you can never truly recapture a moment in time, and some of those old threads truly were a moment in time. I’d laugh my ass off at clicking at little linked jpegs or how poor Bo was taken down every day. You can’t recreate that.

There’s a nice core here now too. We don’t have that quick wit (well, I sure as hell don’t), but it’s still a very good thing we’ve got going. There’s plenty of space for others to join in as well.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

THE NEW CORE (I’m going through the people I think of off the top of my head. Please, feel free to add more, that’s what I intend!):

REGULAR POSTERS:

Robinson Tilapia: Resident “rational one”

Tom Riddle: That guy who keeps changing his name and who we all know is really Plouffy

Pat D: Stays completely calm…until the playoffs

jjyank: A holdout from the Old Guard

Kramerica Industries: Posts extremely pessimistic things, but is not as negative as he seems

Rocky Road Redemption: He curses a fucking METRIC FUCKTON of the time. Seriously, a LOT. And he likes the Portal games, go figure.

THE TROLLS:

dalelama: A-Rod! One of our older trolls, he can be found in threads dating back to 2009

stuart a: …parades

Rainbow Connection: He just says things to piss you off. There’s no real pattern.

EddardWorld: Similar to Rainbow Connection but with better grammar

BIG MEMBER: He gets his own category because seriously, who IS this guy?

THE GREGS:

Greg: Is this guy a troll? An idiot? A person with no emotional maturity at all? Or all of the above? We may never know.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

I think there’s a much bigger core than that. There’s at least 20-30 other people who are pretty regular.

You’ve also got PLENTY of folks who’ve been here throughout, like jsbrendog, mustang, etc.

I actually think we should give a big hand to the WOMEN of RAB. Erica, Betty Lizard, vicki…..please come up to the stage and take a bow.

• jjyank says:

Get Phelps Up, Need Pitching and Hitting are big too. I like to think of them as our resident fact checkers.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

Can’t forget the RAB “New Dads,” which includes myself, forensic, and Nice Scheister.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Yes, there is. But “The Core” is meant to be taken up by regular posters, not the older posts who come in occasionally and make contributions.

For example, after 09′ I took a two year hiatus (with a stop in as the now-legendary “Oofy Still” for April Fools’ Day. I was banned for that, and I freely admit that I totally deserved it. I was in a weird mood that day, okay?). I was no longer part of The Core. Now that I’m back, I can say that I’ve definitely rejoined.

The truly interesting part of “The Core” are the newcomers, not the old blood.

• Mike Stanley says:

I’m new as a poster this year. I really should just register the name.

In fact, I’m going to do that right now. I’m going to leave a paper trail of my own stupidity. Outta respect to the rest of you.

• jjyank says:

And I’m damn glad to be apart of it. I can only hope that any potential job offers don’t interfere with my RAB posting too much :D

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

I hope not. I can’t read Arabic.

• jjyank says:

Neither can RAB’s commenting infrastructure. I tried one time, just came out as all question marks.

I’ll transliterate one for you though.

Alnamaruun alkus kabiraan.

Translations: The Tigers are big pussies.

• If it doesn’t get you in a ton of trouble to do so, you’ll need to explain that one.

I’m looking at the April Fools 2010 post, and I’m guessing your comment was eliminated. I know I don’t remember any “oofy” stuff.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Hmmm, maybe 2011?

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Here it is, in all its glory. Read it in full for full effect. It’s really pretty impossible to explain out of context. I’m…uhhh…Oofy Still.

Mike called me a wackadoo and banned me. Good times.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

I vaguely remember that now.

Rapid-fire multi-identities is a sure-fire way to catch the ire of the Axisa. He got pissed at a few of us for introducing everyone to stuarts b-z earlier this season.

• DC says:

Does anyone know exactly how many different posters are actually Rainbow?

• Anthony says:

Ahaha this was an awesome breakdown

• I know. I certainly wasn’t knocking you.

The phrase just reminded me of TSJC immediately. I had to speak up.

• thurdonpaul says:

Are we sure that TSJC isnt here, under another name ?

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

Considering the oeuvre of his work, he’d have to be pretty good at concealing his identity. I sincerely doubt that’s the case.

• I am not the droids you're looking for...(I believe that children are our future) says:

I actually thought you were him for some time.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Yes. Trust me, we’d know.

• I’m going to try and say this in the most non-condescending way possible, since I’m truly not trying to condescend here:

1) Poster tendencies will always come back to the surface. We would know if it’s TSJC without looking at his handle, because there were tendencies exclusive to him with how he wrote. Especially with his love of those fancy words.

2) TSJC was iconic for being TSJC. It would make no sense for him to change his name. Since I became a full-time commenter here, I’ve only used two handles, and I changed to this current one well over a year ago, and I overlapped the two names briefly to make it clear I was the same person. If I ever use one of the old-ass browsers I used from 2010-ish, you might still see the occasional comment from “Carcillo”.

• wolfgang's Fault says:

Nothing personal, but that’s just horse shit. What real adversity did they have? Yeah, Mo gets hurt & is out for the year, but he’s 42 Y.O. for crying out loud, & they had an experienced closer in Soriano right there. He answered the question of whether he could do it in this market, but the guy was a big price FA acquisition two years ago & he showed he was worth — if not all that money, at least a lot of it.

Joba was out last year, so his injury this year was the same thing. I mean, their year really had as much to do w/the fact the Bosox imploded last year & into this year, Tampa Bay couldn’t hit & Longoria was injured for half the year, The Blue Jays didn’t have a core that’s won before so their injuries kept them from seriously contending, & The Orioles were a mediocre team & they took the Yankees to the last day of the season & the last game of the ALDS.

The Yankees are an over-the-hill overpaid ballclub that needs some major renovations in the worst way. The payroll needs to be cut in order to give Cashman or whomever the flexibility to move when opportunities present themselves. That’s why I feel CC should be shopped. He’s too heavy, isn’t nearly as dominating as a guy making that kind of dough should be, & he could blow out that arm or one of his knees at any time. Better he does that on someone elses team than on mine. Lower the payroll, promote from within which will improve the morale throughout the organization immensely, be opportunistic when great deals present themselves, & acquire useful arms & players for guys such as Granderson & Cano because you have players from within who can replace them.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

When you turn 40, we’re forming a posse (or core, but not The Corre, since that was one the worst wrestling factions ever) and coming to shoot you in the leg.

• jjyank says:

I’m gonna go ahead and just assume we were watching different teams this year. Do I really need to spend the time listing all the key players that spend time on the DL for you?

29. paul a says:

The Yanks have got to get out of this live by the homerun mode.Its plain and simple that this team is not built to manufacter runs. It works during the regular season but come the post season there just aren’t alot of homeruns because the pitching is that much tighter.Somehow Cashman has got to change this offensive makeup of this team. With Swisher likely out of the picture we are going to need a right handed bat in the OF, but I’m not to crazy about Tori Hunter. If by some miracle we get rid of Alex I wouldn’t mind seeing Kevin Youkalis with a one year deal. I also think will see Jeter alot more at DH next season which means we have to find out if Nunez is the real deal or not.

30. ClayDavis says:

Remember that time the Yankees called that bat up that made a difference? Me neitherx decades

Me neitherxyz.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

I can’t wait until he slightly rephrases this again in a few minutes.

Example:

ClayDavis says:
        October 18, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Remember that time Brian Cashhman french kissed that bat that made a difference? Me neitherz.

ClayDavis says:

October 18, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Remember that time Brian Cashhman made out with the entire minor league system to infuse youth in his body? Me neitherz.

ClayDavis says:

October 19, 2012 at 12:03 am

Remember when Brian Cashman used to fuck young prospects in order to circumvent the draft by creating younger prospects…..like Gene Michael used to? Me neither.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Robinson Cano?

31. Hearn says:

Missed the game due to work. Thank God.

Spared me from watching another “hat tipper” game.

The team needs to be blown up. There is no doubt about this. A great offense against mediocre pitching only does nothing but lull everyone into a false sense of security.

The team needs more ‘gamers’. When you think to yourself “I’d rather have Robert Andino up instead if Robby Cano”….something is fundamentally wrong with the makeup of the team.

• jjyank says:

“When you think to yourself “I’d rather have Robert Andino up instead if Robby Cano”….something is fundamentally wrong with the makeup of the team.”

…or you.

Yes, let’s blow up the team that had the best record in the league. Makes perfect sense.

• Hearn says:

You think this team will perform better next year the way it’s constituted? You’re happy to have the 90s Atlanta Braves? Regular season heros, post season losers? That’s what this has become.

Cano wants a ten year $200M extension? You think that’s wise?

BLOW IT UP!!!!!

• jjyank says:

Nothing in your response reflects what I said. Sure, make 1-2 major moves if it makes sense. Make several more minor moves if they make sense. I never said to not touch the team at all.

But blow it up? Please.

• wolfgang's Fault says:

Semantics, Jiyank. What kind of club will this be in the spring, or 2 or 3 springs from now? Now is the time to start moving toward the next generation of teams rather than hanging onto this one that can’t get out of its own way due to its limitations.

Imagine it’s late May 2013, & CC seriously blows out something & is lost for the year or more. Not impossible w/all that weight he has to carry & all those innings he’s got on that arm. Now what? Yeah, they could piece something together, but so what? This team as presently constructed is not going to win anything that really matters to Yankee fans.

I have no problem watching younger players, & role players, & prospects w/the ability to become future stars, coming together & struggling & losing some, & maybe you get the pieces to make a that one or two deals that eventually lands them the right parts & it all comes together & it jells & suddenly you’ve got an exciting young ballclub in its prime ready to make a run at a new bunch of championships.

It probably doesn’t happen overnight or even in a year or two, but it can happen & happen quickly w/some vision & a plan. Lower the payroll, rebuild the starting rotation, promote from within whenever practical, make deals when they present themselves, draft wisely, & acquire foundation player FA’s when they become available & they fit.

This club now is not only stale & one dimensional, It’s old & played out. They did well to get to the ALCS. They won’t be able to do that again, & that’s just not what I’m looking for. Time to take a few steps back so that the entire club can more forward & get us back to being the elite club in MLB. Oh, & you’re right. It was a good thing George was suspended way back when in order for the baseball people to start rebuilding that team back then. The time has come to rebuild once again.

• jjyank says:

It’s not semantics. There is a very large difference between “blow it up!” and “make maybe 1 or 2 big moves and a few tweaks”.

• CT Yankee says:

RCDYK nancholanted himself into the record books.

“Robinson Cano had one hit in the series and finished the ALCS with a .098 OBP, the lowest by any player in playoff history (min. 35 PA). His .075 average was the fourth lowest in history. That’s hard to believe.”

• Hearn says:

Cano wants a ten year $200M extension? You think that’s wise?

BLOW IT UP!

• Vic says:

Hearn is right, jjyank is living in a dreamworld.
          This Yankee core group will not win another championship. With a couple of exceptions, they’re unwatchable.
          We need to commit to finding out if any of the kids can play, even if it means missing the playoffs for a year or two. Without the pain of the early 90′s, there would have been no dynasty. Doesn’t anyone remember how badly Bernie Williams struggled at the beginning of his career? But they stuck with him.
          There are no quick fixes. Best face it and bite the bullet.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Make up your theoretical ideal roster for next year, then-within reason, of course. Let’s see it.

• Vic says:

Untradeable Guys Who Can Play:
            Jeter
            Mo
            Pettitte
            Sabathia
            Guys Who Maybe Can Play (sometimes) And We Should Keep If They Would Run Out a Fucking Ground Ball and See a Sports Psychologist About Massive Choking:
            Cano
            Untradeable Guys Who Can Play Sometimes:
            Tex
            Cheap Guys Who Can Play Sometimes But We Should Keep Because the Jury is Still Out:
            Robertson
            Phelps
            Guys with Some Tradability Whom We Should Trade for Kids:
            Granderson
            Fake Baseball Players of Whom We Have Seen More Than Enough, Especially When It Counts:
            ARod
            Swisher
            Guys Who Are Needlessly Cockblocking Younger Players Who Might Be Stars Eventually But Only If They Get a Real Chance:
            Chavez
            Jones
            Martin
            It’s insane to re-up Soriano at closer prices or to sign Kuroda to a multi-year at his age. The rest of the bullpen are low-WAR commodity arms, many of them kids.
            So, your rotation looks something like:
            Sabathia
            Pettitte (or Kid TBD if Andy quits again)
            Phelps
            Pinieda (if healthy)
            Kid TBD

Your catcher is Kid TBD with a commodity backup.
            Corner infield is Tex plus Kid 3B plus commodity backup.
            Middle infield is Nunez, Cano plus kid or commodity backup.
            Outfield is Gardner plus kid plus kid plus commodity backup.
            DH is Jeter, Requisite Old Unflappable Bench Guy is Ibanez

Who Are These kids, you ask? They can be homegrown or fetched in trades. I don’t care. I want to see youth, excitement, passion and potential, not baggage and decline.
            Added benefit is you’re way under the lux threshold.
            A (mostly) clean state, a (mostly) fresh start. That’s the road back, not more band-aid bullshit.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

This is a very well-thought-out list, isn’t it?

• jjyank says:

I’d make a more comprehensive comment, but I suppose I am still living in a dream world because I don’t think blowing up the best team in the AL is a smart idea.

I love how people assume that rebuilding and just “letting the kids play” will actually work every time. Also fairly certain most of the people calling for this route are the ones that will be back here in a year or two to complain about the Yankees finishing in last place.

32. Rocky Road Redemption says:

In the words of Giants coach Jim Fassel, when told that the referees blew the final call in a playoff game that would have changed the outcome in the Giants’ favor:

“Bummer”

33. Jim says:

It’s sad for another year to go down like this. But, I think there might be a bigger problem in the chemistry. Watching Jeter being helped off the field by Joe Girardi and Steve Donohue. They got to the dugout, down the steps, and the three players not in the game…Rodriguez, Gardner, Stewart, or the four players not on the roster, Garcia, ANDRUW JONES, Nova, or Nunez…none of them went over to relieve Girardi so he could manage. The elder statesman, Mr Ibanez, the DH, relieved the manager. Just seems odd that no one went over to help out.

34. Rocky Road Redemption says:

I’ve heard people say that this lack of hitting is a result of an older team getting “tired” in the playoffs or something. The problem with this, of course, is that in the final week or so in the season they hit great. Then they actually had three days off. Then their hitting turned to shit.

My point? I think it really was just one of those things…incredibly bad luck. Everybody got cold all at the worst possible time. It sucks, but what can you do? It happens.

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

If it was a bunch of young guys getting swept, they’d be waxing rhapsodic about “inexperience.” Can’t win….when you lose.

• wolfgang's Fault says:

Young guys can improve, learn from their experiences, grow. This club is what it is — old!

• Robinson Tilapia (I love the New York Yankees) says:

So, if a Yankee team composed of a bunch of younger guys would have just lost the ALCS, you’d be here talking about how much better they’ll be next year right now?

Wait….let me pull out the time machine…

wolfgang’s Fault says:
          October 19, 2012 at 8:58 am

No, because they’d still be in it.

….and OF COURSE that would be your reply.

35. Get Phelps Up (wins needed: 8) says:

What was everybody’s favorite moment of the season (not counting Raul’s heroics in game 3 against the O’s)? Mine was easily the extra innings win against Oakland with the 15-9 comeback against Boston as a close 2nd.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

Mine too. Seriously, that A’s game fucking ROCKED.

• jjyank says:

Those are the two best. Even though the Oakland win was bigger in context of the way things played out, I still take the Boston win first. I just really hate those fuckers.

• Rocky Road Redemption says:

I totally agree, but my reaction to the two games were different.

With the BoSox game I was basically like “HAHAHAHA RED SOX FAIL”. After the A’s game it was more like “HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT WE FUCKING WON HOLY SHIT”.

I had more fun winning that one because losing that one, after all of the craziness that occurred, and at that point in the season in that close of a race, would have really sucked. With the Red Sox game losing would have sucked but I’d given up on it already at that point, plus I didn’t really consider it a huge deal if we lost since it was so early in the season. The A’s game, however…

• jjyank says:

I get you. If I hadn’t spend 4 years in college combating Red Sox fans, I probably would take the A’s game. But my joy in beating the Red Sox cannot be overcome!

• JLC 776 says:

I was really hoping for a Yankees-A’s ALCS after that great series (assuming the play would remain at the same caliber).

Anyway, you nailed my two favorite moments of the year, so I guess to contribute I’ll throw in a somewhat forgettable game against Toronto at home in July. Kuroda dominated the Jays and the Yankees won to sweep the series and go up by 10 games in the AL East. It would be their high-water mark of the year and at that point, despite the mounting injuries, it looked like we had a team that was special. Trade-deadline talk was focused on defensive replacements to rest the key players before October and on Joba Chamberlain’s rehab.

Obviously things changed seriously after that point, but I do remember the day we went up by 10 with a sort of halcyon fondness. Bittersweet…

• Anthony says:

Definitely the Boston game. I did like Martin’s walk off against the Mets too.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Oops. I forgot to chance my handle back on my other computer.

36. DT says:

Good season, Piss poor ALCS. Keep the pitching in tact and find supplements for the offense. They’ll go far next year.

37. Mike Stanley says:

I also wanted to thank Mike, Joe, and everyone on here. Even stuart. You guys are all what make the season so much fun, what makes us all buy in so deep, even when it’s a Thursday in June in Cleveland.

It’s not goodbye. It’s never goodbye.

It’s see you later.

38. RC aka oldmanalex says:

the AROD post game interview was pretty interesting. The man is being pretty fucking classy.

39. Mike Stanley says:

I have two important observations to make. They must be made, so that the season can come to a full close, so that we may zero out the ledger for another year, and start freshly anew next spring. They are as follows:

1. Dewayne Wise’s bunt did NOT, in fact, turn the season around.
    2. The 2012 Yankees were, when it mattered most, TRULY…shit-ass.

40. OldYanksFan says:

There will be reams written on what went wrong with this offense.
    Yes, we know we are a HR slugging team that oftens fails to make contact.
    Yes, we are an older team.
    Yes, a lot of our guys had worse then expected years.

But really, what does that explain.
    What was at work here was some unseen cosmic force.

There is a guy who has been hit by lightning 3 times, in 3 different locations.
    But I would have bet that that was more likely to happen again, then the absolute offensive collapse we just witnessed.
    The truth is there is no real reason for something of this magnitude to happen, other then the general Random Chaotic Nature of Baseball.

I’m not going to overanalyze it.
    I believe what happened is something out of our comprehension.
    I mean “I CAN’T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!!!!”

Of course, what are the odds of the Ibanez 3 HR Event?
    And I saw that too.

It’s a shame for the season and the team to end on such a horrific note, but hey…
    Ya Just Can’t Predict Baseball.

41. pat says:

Never really had that championship vibe like they did in 09. Crappy AB’s in tough spots all season. Seemingly never really found their mojo.Sadly, I look forward to 2014 when we could theoretically have a Mason/Slade/Austin trio in the OF. I have a feeling next year is going to be ugly.

42. JLC 776 says:

Very disheartening post-season and I know the media will focus on DRAMA and all that… but at the same time I think this team really over-achieved in many ways. Tons of freak injuries, role players that stepped up, scrap-heap renaissance veterans, ace pitching in October, and a genuine pennant race that was incredibly enjoyable (if not hear-attack inducing). I think the toughest thing for me, looking back on 2012 in a few years, will be looking at Ichiro’s home plate dance, Raul’s heroics, and the mastery of Kuroda, Pettitte, and 2/3rds of CC going for naught.

Anyway, they have great sluggers, hopefully a healthy Gardner next year, and with one or two slappy bats they can completely change the complexion of the lineup and culture of the overall offense.

It’ll be really fun to watch the offseason this year and see how the holes are addressed.

43. pistol pete says:

Want to really get depressed. Check out this years list of free agents if you think you can fix this team fast. There are no good outfielders except Hamilton and he’s a real crap shoot for a long term deal. Best catcher, Mike Napoli, the shortstops all stink, no 3rd basemen unless White Sox decline Youkalis option, so you tell me how to fix this team. This team might look the same as last years. For my money Jeter needs to play 3rd but won’t have enough time to learn the position. ARod needs to DH. How about dumping Grandy and Swisher at $23m per and use the $ for Hamilton. Gardy can play center and make Nunez a left fielder. Gardner/Jeter//Hamilton/Tex/Cano/Arod/new ss/catcher/nunez.

• FIPster Doofus says:

Yeah, it’s a pretty weak class. I wish the Yanks had a DH opening for Ortiz.

• Andrew 518 says:

We need to realize that flexibility is the greatest thing that could help this team. It may be impossible to find the pieces to solve this puzzle by picking up free agents (just ask the red sox)What we do need is some open spaces when the right pieces come along.

A-Rod’s biggest flaw to this team isn’t his postseason no show, its’s that he prevents significant roster changes for the forseeable future. A five year deal is big for anyone, he is just starting his as his decline years are upon him.

If anyone out there has the ability to underperform on a massive contract to the extent that A-Rod will I think it would be Hamilton. He just has that ticking time bomb aura that seems to follow Alex. Another power bat at mega bucks isn’t the answer to our problems.

This sucks but a place holder at 3B (if we could pawn off A-Rod) or in RF next season might be a better option for the long term than any players on the market.

44. stuart a says:

hope all have a nice off season..

Yanks need a big operation not a little nip and tuck…

gone; lowe, stewart, jones, garcia, are obvious.

they need to think really hard about the old guys…

ibanez is 40, the 3 week magic was mirage, adios….ichiro ditto…

swisher, tender and pray he walks, excercise the options on grandy and soriano, and hope soriano goes and try to trade grandy….

sign russel martin for 2 years max else adios…..

guys that are on the roster that can het better are; hughes, phelps, nova, pineda, robertson, joba(true), gardner, nunez, and that is about it.. the rest of the players are on the downside…..

this is a bleak situation….really……..

45. stuart a says:

they need to get romine on the big club, they need to diversify things offensive big time….

kuroda at 1 year is an idea, i hope andy retires… enough already…….

46. Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

What a damn shame to the end of this season. We had a great opportunity at #28 this year. Opponents were the O’s, Tigers, and Cards which were all extremely beatable and we pissed it away because of the worst hitting I have ever seen in my life. To make it even more disgusting we wasted the best PostSeason pitching I have ever seen in my life.

I fucking hate the Tigers right behind the Sux and from this point forward they need to pay in any future meetings. What a bunch of bullshit. Never get this chance back again and all they needed to do is score 3 runs a game and the Yanks would have been World Champs. FML

47. stuart a says:

laugh but i would trade cano for the right deal..

they need help a lot. cano cannot carry a team.. he is a very nice player but not a superstar…

this will be a huge makeover of the roster.. at least 9 different players then on the playoff roster…that is a huge turnover….

nova killed them this yr. btw, his regression was significant. #3 starter to bum at 25 years old….

48. Brian S. says:

No more Granderson or Swisher please. Also if we can trade A-Rod that would be cool too. kthnxbye

• Stevis says:

Girardi and K-Long have to go too

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Girardi ?? Poor guy had no chance against Detroit the way his players were hitting. He tried every player on the roster and his team only scored 6 runs in 4 games. He pulled off a minor miracle just getting them past the Orioles.

Cashman is far more responsible for the sad shape this organization is in moving forward over the next few years with an aged roster, barren upper level farm system, little payroll flexibility and hardly any tradable assets.

49. Andrew 518 says:

Of course all of the attention is on Alex, and as he said in his interviews he has a big off season on his hands. My only hope aside from dumping him, would be that he undergoes as Mussina esque transformation. The kind where Mussina was done as done in ’07, realized he wasn’t the player he had always been, and reinvented himself. Of course in his case he only had to pull it off for one season but you get the point.

Really however, the player who in my opinion is about to enter the most important offseason of his career is Cano. He needs to become more focused and more driven, hopefully this failure combined with his looming payday (cynically the latter will probably play a bigger role) will push him in the upcoming months.

This season for me was a real dissapointment with Cano, he once again put up star numbers, but it was awfuly up and down, lacking an overall crispness for someone who should be entering his prime years. This postseason really put a microscope to that. If he is going to expect superstar money and provide a transition into the post Jeter era he needs to work to become more Jeter than A-Rod (leadership + numbers) opposed to (numbers + headache)

full disclosure personally I can’t stand A-Rod (from the very begining) and I really love Robbie but I hope for the benifit of the team they both have turnaround offseasons. (or we fool the hell out of someone else and get rid of A-Rod red sox style)

• Brian S. says:

The “A-Rod is a bad teammate” meme is so fucking dumb. I’d like to trade him too because of his salary but he has done nothing but be a supportive teammate the last four years.

50. Steve S says:

1) Trade ARod to the Marlins, who cares what you get
    2) Sign BJ Upton – if its 4/5 years itll be fine
    3) Do not bring back Russell Martin – he’s nothing but a tease: do a Cervelli/Shoppach platoon that’ll be mad cheap
    4) Absolutely consider trading Cano
    5) Dump Granderson, move Gardner to center
    6) Fire Kevin Long: not that its needed, but I can’t imagine him keeping his job. I don’t know if he’s actually good or not, but he’s gonna be replaced.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

So let’s say you trade Arod and have to eat the whole contract except for $5 million per year which is probably the best you could hope for. Who do you think you can get to play 3B for $5 per year who is going to be better than Arod who is still probably a 3 WAR 3rd baseman?

You’re looking at it in a vacuum which is too small. Laird can play 3B for $0. Then, that leaves you $5 million you don’t otherwise have to improve *other* parts of the squad to help offset the offensive difference between Laird and Arod (which, in 2013, isn’t likely to be what it used to be…)

51. Kosmo says:

trade Arod to the Angels for Wells, Morales and either Cowart(3B) or Lindsay(2B). The Halos have a log jam at DH/1B and Morales has one year remaining on his contract and is arbitration eligible this offseason. Arod is an upgrade for the Angels at 3B, and at this time Morales and Arod are about equal offensive players. Morales would slip into the DH role. No one knows what to expect from Wells so to compensate one of Cowart or Lindsay. Both are high A ball prospects.

Sign Angel Pagan to play CF. Maybe consider bringing back Melky to play RF. Sign FA Izturis to be the UI. Trade Gardner and 2 b-grade prospects to the Padres for 3B prospect Jedd Gorkyo.
    Trade Granderson. Give Mustelier a shot in LF. Do not resign Martin.

Pagan CF
    Jeter SS
    Cano 2B
    Tex 1B
    Morales DH
    Wells/Mustelier LF
    Gyorko 3B
    Cervelli/Romine C or a catcher brought in via trade for Granderson.
    Melky RF

Izturis and Nunez

resign Pettitte and/or Kuroda

• Kosmo says:

for example Granderson to the Giants in exchange for Hector Sanchez and Gary Brown. I doubt the Giants would be interested.

52. Larry says:

A sad end to a frustrating season, but this team was never going to win in the postseason. Think back to the mid-summer series against Oakland in which we were swept, losing each game by one run. I thought then that it was a preview of the playoffs and sadly, I was correct.

53. Hoss says:

I am not saying this to be vindictive, but truly hope that the St. Louis-Detroit WS gives MLB the worst TV ratings of all time. A baseball WS has no business pitting the 7th best record in the AL against the 5th best record in the NL. Thanks for ruining the integrity of the game, Bud.

• Steve says:

I love hearing this argument. Detroit won their fucking division. They could have had the 11th best record in the AL and if they won their division it wouldn’t have mattered. They would have made the playoffs every single year since there have been playoffs. I get that people get upset that the Yankees had the best record and are out, but this isn’t Bud’s fault and it’s not the wild card’s fault. If they were so bad and the Yankees were so good then the Yankees shouldn’t have gotten swept.

54. Darren says:

1. Thanks Mike and RAB for the awesome tream of content (heh heh heh, I said stream). Seriously, it’s awesome. And thanks to fellow commenters. I love it that there’s always new stuff to read. The best.

2. Part of what is so disappointing is that the Yankees just seemed to lose (or maybe never really had) a professional approach to hitting. You always hear that, right, Nix or whover is a professional hitter? This post season, I felt like I was watching myself in a softball game. That is not a good thing.

3. Swish, I ain’t mad ‘atcha. You want to redeem yourself and get back those good vibes in the big city? How about a 4 year, $40 million deal? With vesting options of another $15mm based on ABs and a fifth year club option for $18mm. Oh, you’d rather move to Anaheim or L.A. Dodgers cause of your wife and it;’s more laid back. You wil not enjoy your return to right field in ther Bronx. Unfinished business.

4. Trade Grandy, he has some value.

5. Alfonso Soriano for ARod.

6. Make Ichiro a 1yr $8 mm deal with a second year at $10 vesting after 300 ABs but player can void option.

I’m sure there’s more but F it.

55. VaYankeeFan says:

This is my first comment on the RAB site, although I’ve been a fan for sometime. I thank the staff of RAB for all you do and the great information you provide. The Yankees are finished for 2012, time for the Hot Stove & such, which I enjoy. The Yanks need to re-tool in some spots and most likly some facts will not re-appear. I hope that Jeter, Andy & Mo will return next year; thus the “cord-three”! To all the staff at RAB & those who follow it; have a safe & fun filled off season. April 2013 is closer than you think! GO YANKEES

56. Willballs says:

Here’s a crazy whole sale change idea.

Swisher-get draft pick by tendering and let walk.
    Soriano-same as swisher
    Kuroda-resign 1 yr deal or let walk
    Ichiro-resign to 1 yr deal or let walk
    Martin-resign 1 yr deal or let walk

A-Rod-He’s not going nowhere but if at all possible trade Marlins and may have sweeten pot so that Marlins takes chunk of money (perhaps 60% of remaining contract)

Or substitue Granderson for Cano and remove Stanton from equation

I know most of you will say how the f**k can you trade Cano? Well he will be 29 or 30 after next season and he will want a 7 to 8 year deal which no way in hell do we give him. We put Joseph and David Adams in platoon at second or shift Nunez over to second and infuse young talent. If A-rod goes put Jeter over at 3rd and Nunez at SS. This is drastic but we cannot wait for these guys to get old and not get a decent return.

My heart tells me we will not be able to trade A-rod and if we have to eat more than 65% of contract we may as well keep him for 2 more years and than just release him But trading grandy or Cano should be explored!

• Bavarian Yankee says:

“Trade Cano and Nova with A-Rod to Marlins and in return ask for Josh Johnson and Mike Stanton plus pay 65-70 mil of A-rod contract”

not sure if serious. Why would the Marlins do that? That would be one of the most loopsided trades in the history of baseball.

57. Nick Swisher, Rodeo Clown says:

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

58. Larry says:

Well said, Hoss! Selig has no appreciation for the history and traditions of baseball. Playing in the World Series was always a reward for having the best record in your league (earned against the other teams in your league, and not counting exhibition games) and proving your worth over a long season, not having two hot pitchers or “peaking” in late September. A desire to have “meaningful” games between teams that haven’t earned them properly doesn’t make those games “meaningful”, it makes them a pale imitation of the real thing. Keep it up and eventusally you’ll have the NBA/NHL model: more than half the teams make the “playoffs” and the regular season is a meaningless series of exhibitions.

59. Darren says:

Did anyone see the Daily News? An unnamed player said the team got “spooked” after getting booed in Game 1 and “never recovered”.

• Hoss says:

That player should watch the movie 61* to see what Roger Maris had to go through just because he was breaking a legend’s record. If booing spooks a guy making millions to play a game, he doesn’t belong in NY.

• Hoss says:

Just read Harper’s piece. Either he’s fabricating it or the player who made the statement is gutless. He should own up to making that statement.
      Since Swisher has already called out the fans in RF for getting on him, most people will assume that it is him.

• mt says:

I would not necessarily discount this. There are probably a lot of players who cannot take being booed in their home park – problem is that with $189 million budget not sure Yanks are going to offer the dollar premium in salary (Winny, Jackson, CC, Tex) or the obvious World Series chance each year (with 3 rounds of playoffs and an aging roster) that may convince players to always play here in front of demanding fans.

Yankee fans pride ourselves on giving players the business when they do not perform – I do think there is some impact. For example, from what I can see from a Miguel Cabrera or Josh hamilton type not so sure they would be as successful if they got booed in home stadium (like Arod has been now maybe Cabrera is so good that he never deserves to be booed but you get my point).

Remmber Arod got booed for dropping a pop-up on opening day one year.

I also think without Jeter’s leadership being around the last few days, the Arod drama and the booing may have spooked some people.

60. Mickey McMick says:

RAB is a great site and I had fun and learned quite a bit as the season progressed. Thanks!

61. mt says:

I would like to see the splits against good pitching versus average pitching – if my memory serves me correctly, the Ynakees actually did pretty well (as opposed to league average) from an OPS and HR basis against top pitchers (Price, Shields, Verlander, they did beat Scherzer for the first time, they scored 5 runs against Weaver, had OK games against Felix). The worse warning signs was letting Miguel Gonzalez walk into Yankee Stadium and have a 17/1 K/BB ratio; whenever Henderson Alvarez pitched againt us he set new personal strikeout record, their struggles against the A’s rookies in Oakland, and complete whiffs aginst Sale in August( who was not as good in August and September) and Morrow in late September (who was still coming off injury). Thank God for Red Sox pitching implosion that helped our numgers.

I hate watching playoffs and seeing both average slugger types(Reynolds, Davis) and elite sluggers (Cabrera and Fielder) get opposite field RBI hits or even hit it back up through middle – I can’t remember very many of those from Yankees except Cano in game 1 against Baltimore and Ichiro.

I am sure there will be other opportunities and I normally am a Cashman supporter but I was very disturbed by Cashman’s “our approach is to to get beastly sluggers” comments and how he is not goingt o change philosophy. I hope that was just posturing – think there was a lot of wrong what he said especially moving forward with some of these contracts for Tex. Arod and CC.

62. Thunder Road Runner says:

A disappointing end , to say the least…May I say thank you to those running this site? It is the best NYY fansite by far – and thanks to everyone who takes the time to post!

63. Reggie C. says:

People should forget about trading Arod. The man does not want to straight ruin any legacy he’s built. The man did win multiple MVPs in pinstripes after all. Cashman should instead look to trade for a 3B and move Arod to DH permanently as a way to both keep Arod healthy and add punch to the lineup.

• Bavarian Yankee says:

“Trade for David Wright. Just frigging do it. Offer Phelps, Nunez, Campos, and Tyler Austin. Just get it done.”

lol, you wanna give the Mets a good laugh or what?

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Got a better chance of grabbing him in free agency. Do you think he really wants to sign a long term deal with the Mutts?

64. maniv says:

Overall this was a miserable time to be a Yankee fan. We knew this offense was not good but I don’t think anyone saw this kind of ineptitude coming. Now we will see just how good Tigers pitching is when they face the Cardinals in the WS. Frankly I think St. Louis is going to win again. Though it is a shame that two 87 win teams will face each other in the WS and that a team that would have not even qualify last year may win again. But I guess those are the rules now.
    I have to say that I have learned a lot about baseball on this site thanks to you guys and it is fun reading about the Yankees everyday. Keep on the good work. Greetings from Puerto Rico.

65. I am not the droids you're looking for...(I believe that children are our future) says:

Fuck all this shit in its entirety.

Mike: can we please turn immediately to a thorough breakdown of the offseason plan? Like, now. I need to wash this taste out of my mouth (ha) ASAP.

66. Woodrow Held says:

Mike, you say Sabathia was bitten by the long ball “late” … ? Getting shelled in the fourth inning is not “late.” Don’t let the facts get in the way of your blog, though.

Also, just for future reference, it’s “trouper” … not “trooper.” Look it up. Girardi was a trouper. I believe it has to do with those traveler performers of yesteryear who were ready to put on a show anytime, anywhere.

See you next year … if the Yankees haven’t dropped out of the league in embarrassment.