Oct

Thursday Night Open Thread

If Rafael Soriano can’t take a little cold champagne down his shirt, how are we supposed to trust him in the ninth inning of a playoff game?! (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Well, now the reality of the baseball regular season being over has set in. It’s awesome that the Yankees are in the postseason and I can’t wait for the ALDS to start this weekend, but there’s no baseball tonight and only two games tomorrow. It’s kind of a shock to the system after six months of watching entirely too much baseball on a daily basis. MLB.tv is either the best or worst thing that has ever happened to me. I can’t decide.

Anyway, here is your open thread for this baseball-less evening. The midweek NFL game is the Cardinals and Rams (8:20pm ET on NFL Network), so feel free to talk about that or anything else here. Except politics. Thanks in advance.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Defensive Indifference says:

Now we know why Soriano untucks: it’s so the champagne doesn’t run down his butt.

2. Nick says:

Stannnis baratheon is clearly the best choice for king.

3. Nick says:

Stannnis baratheon is clearly the best choice for king.

• Bo Knows says:

Stannis!? I spit upon that notion sir, Return the Iron Thrown to Daenerys Targaryen!

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

If we’re returning it to the Targaryens, it should be through the male line. Everyone knows that R+L=J.

(Young Griff is a Blackfyre)

4. Darren says:

I think it’s cool as hell that the Yanks are gonna work out tomorrow night at the Stadium and then watch the Rangers/O’s game together after. After the crazy long, draining season, I bet it’s gonna be totally chill. Swish is gonna bring some kind bud, Phelpsie’s gonna pound some Jaeger, Jeter’s gonna hand out gift baskets, and Girardi’s gonna do more neck vein exercises. :)

Seriously, they really earned this.

5. Baracka Rumney says:

I think Romney killed it last night

6. Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

They should have just done the 2nd WC next year. Baltimore and Texas tied for the WC so they’d be playing a 1 game playoff anyway. I know, fallacy of the predetermined outcome but with all these scheduling problems they just should have done it next year. The WC winner should not get the luxury of waiting while the Yankees and Nationals have to catch a red eye half way across the country.

• CountryClub says:

The Yankees aren’t taking a red eye anywhere. They’re flying out Saturday for a Sunday game. Plus, the worst case scenario is that they go to Tx. That’s really not a big deal. You’d have a better argument if they had to fly to LA.

7. Joe F says:

I have some videos from the game tonight.

Shameless plug. It’s on the site I write for.

• RetroRob says:

There’s a game tonight? Where? Where??!!

The unsettling thing about this point in the season is as fans we don’t know how many more games are left before winter comes.

I really wish they could figure out a way to make the World Baseball Classic happen in December. Things were so bad last year that I remember watching the final games of the Australian baseball championship on MLBN last January…and enjoying it!

8. Tom says:

How awesome is this:

The only thing that would make it better is if some Yankees fan bought it and burned it.

9. Kramerica Industries says:

I was looking through the old thread from 2010 where Rose brought “Taft wasn’t American” up, and Joe Pawl instituted a new rule about not bringing up politics then, amending it into the community guidelines.

Why was it ever removed?

And, speaking of 2010, I’m not sure you saw this the other day, Mike, so I pander to you once again:

If Marcus Thames ever comes back to the Yankees organization, in anyway, that image needs to be re-hashed. That was such an awesome season from him.

10. jjyank says:

This is how I gear up for the playoffs: time to watch the the 2009 World Series film.

11. pistol pete says:

Yanks in a good spot, happy we miss Verlander and Cabrerra in round one. Much rather play Texas or Baltimore since they don’t have a No 1 as good as CC. Cano was awesome down the stretch. A second baseman who can hit above 300 hit over 30 hr’s and have 100 rbi seasons, unbelievble. And he’s the best fielding 2nd baseman in the game. I hope they lock him up in the off season before Boras get his teeth into him after 2013 when he’s a free agent.

12. Mick taylor says:

YAnkle fans, get ready to be screwed. To be screwed by selig and. His henchman , the umpires who will screw the yanks withbad calls and strike zones. Can someone on this website explain to me when the tv shows blown calls why girardi doesn’t get out thereand argue his head off? Why does he always say I did not see the replay. With a200 million payroll doesn’t he have a tv in the dugout so he can immediately watch thereplay so he can quickly go out an argue. Because this team is about to losegames be aide of seligs boys

13. Joe F says:

Thursday Night football is boring me. Especially knowing all the excitement that awaits us tomorrow.

14. old fan says:

Mike,
    On the issue of mlb.com being addictive with a game every night, but not like tonight, with no scheduled games——well, if you have it, you can always go back and watch any game of the year, or any half-inning of the year, or even just a specific at bat. For instance, tonight you can go back and watch that April game at Fenway, or specifically just the two 7-run innings.
    Or you can watch the extra inning comeback against the A’s. Or you can go even go back to 2006 to watch that 5 game sweep at Fenway. etc. etc.
    Or you can watch recent innings of the Orioles or Rangers, to “scout” the opposition.

mlb.com is really one of the most incidious devices created in the last half century. Really, really, nasty to human life.

15. Robinson Tilapia says:

Anyone catch 30 Rock last night? Apparently, “second base” to Tracy Jordan means a threesome with Robbie Cano. An all-time great 30 Rock line.

• Joe F says:

Hahahahaha.

I love that show.

One of my favorite lines of Tracy’s is when he told everyone the excuses as to why he didn’t see the birth of his children.

1. Making a grilled cheese.
      2. Forgot.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Why did I say “last night?” Show was tonight.

Jane Krakowski may also be the hottest woman in her mid 40s I’ve ever encountered.

The small details on that show are amazing. The total NYC inside jokes, the fake Tracy movie posters, like “Who Dat Ninja,” just awesome. So sad it’s ending.

• Captain_Turbo says:

Leap Day William!

16. Robinson Tilapia says:

I just read Joe P.’s write-up from earlier. Loved it.

17. your mom says:

That picture isn’t MFIKY, it looks like MFGK(mutha fucka got killed).

18. bmezz says:

I heard Jerry Meals is covering first base for game 1 of the ALDS…

19. Captain_Turbo says:

Does Tito Francona take the manager’s spot when Girardi’s contract expires?

20. Cuso says:

From the department of irrelevancy:

I’ve had this theory for the last 6-7 years that the Yanks’ method of resting players after they’ve clinched had a detrimental effect on their postseason effectiveness. 2009 was a great team with shiny new parts, but they were just that damn good. Most often, though, you hear about the teams that get hot at the right time towards the end of the season. The “resting” guys always seemed to cool the team off.

This team may not be favored “on paper, ” but I’m curious to see if playing it out to the very last day will have a beneficial effect. I have an inkling it might.

• Fin says:

If the Yankees can come up with some hits with RISP, they will go far. If they cant we will watch them exit in the first round, amazed out how they out the other team 2 to 1 and out pitched them. Not unlike last years Detroit series.

They wont need as many RISP hits as the teams they play, becasue they will get HR’s but they will need some. Cano wont be superman in the playoffs hes had his run, other than Barry Bonds no one can keep doing what Cano’s done for the last 2 weeks. When hes not superman in the playoffs I hope fans remember hes who got us here.

With Cano bound to go back to normal levels, the 3 and 5 hitters are actually going to have to do something. Who has faith in Arod or Tex right now? I know it wont happen but I wouldnt mind seeing a game 1 order of…

Jeter
      Ichiro
      Swisher
      Cano
      Tex
      Grandy
      Arod
      Ibanez/Nunez
      Martin

I would like to bat Grandy infront of Tex but lefty’s back to back thing late in the game. I would possibly also go with Martin 8th if Nunez is DH’ing.

• Fin says:

Btw, I would also pinch hit for Arod with Chavez late in the game against a righty. This is no knock on Arod as I am a fan just his current production level.

Is Ibanez going to get all the DH against righties? Chavez when rested this season has been pretty fucking great. I dont want to see him forgotten. If Valdamort hadnt got all those clutch hits this year, I would much rather see a now rested Chavez up. However, Ibanez has got those hits, and its a tough call.

• Monterowasnotdinero says:

It is not just about hits but about good contact. RISP failure with K’s and popups are what really kills. Groundballs with fast runners (Ichiro/Gardy) go a long way to fixing risp problems…

Our free swingers not producing when pitchers have changeup and 2 seamer command are what kill us in the post season.

I’m talkin’ about u Swish, Tex, Grandy, Alex…

• MannyGeee says:

I dont hate this theory. Counterpoint: how will the three days off effect them, following your theory.