Oct

Yankees considering Pettitte for Game Two, Kuroda for Game Three

Via Mark Hale, the Yankees will consider using Hiroki Kuroda as the number three starter in the ALDS and sliding Andy Pettitte in behind CC Sabathia as the number two. We’ve been assuming it would be the other way around for much of the season. “That’s something that we’re going to have to talk about, absolutely,” said Joe Girardi when asked about starting Pettitte over Kuroda in Game Two. “[Kuroda] had an unbelievable season, and that’s something we’ll definitely consider.”

Pettitte was lined up to pitch today in a potential tie-breaker game, which thankfully was not needed. He would be on eight days’ rest for Game Two and ten days’ rest for Game Three. Kuroda, on the other hand, would start Game Two on normal rest and Game Three on seven days’ rest. Giving him two extra days seems like a pretty good idea given his age (37) and career-high workload (219.2 IP), plus he actually pitched better at home than on the road this year. Unsurprisingly, Kuroda said he would do whatever the team asked.

Categories : Asides, Pitching

1. vinny-b says:

definitely Pettitte for Game 2.

if are the Yankees, you don’t want to be down 0-2, before you even make it back home.

• Laz says:

Andy has been there and done it. He has also been pretty good this season. I think it is better that they both get a little extra rest rather than pettitte get 10 days and kuroda only go on normal rest.

• Chris says:

Let’s hope they’re not down 0-2 to begin with

2. Austin Aunelowitzky says:

I’m on board with Andy in Game 2.

3. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle says:

I’m fine with it either way. I mean there is the element of “splitting up the lefties” and the fact you don’t want Kuroda’s arm over rested so that his sinker doesn’t sink, also the idea that if (god forbid) we lose games 1 and 2 I’d rather have Pettitte on the mound cause he’s been there before. I’d prefer Kuroda in game 2 but I wouldn’t mind him in game 3.

4. Rich in NJ says:

I’m in for Pettitte in a Game 2 as well. Go with your best, while mitigating the too much rest issue.

5. Joe F says:

I guess I’m seeing Kuroda on Wednesday again.

6. CBean says:

selfishly i wanted Andy at Game 3 because I might have a small opportunity of attending that and I really want me some post-season Andy, but otherwise, this would be great.

7. CountryClub says:

Pettitte has pitched much better at home this yr too. And he’s never pitched well in TX. Two things to consider.

8. Winter says:

I don’t think it makes much difference. Kuroda’s been amazing this year but faded a bit down the stretch. Pettitte’s also been great but missed a lot of time. I think making sure everyone pitches on the right amount of rest is by far the most important factor in determining who pitches 2nd and who pitches 3rd.

9. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Just talking to my dad about this. I think Kuroda is the better man at home. Also, it may put Andy in the position to pitch in a game where they either face elimination, or have the opportunity to clinch.

10. Preston says:

There are legitimate arguments for both. Neither one is an indictment of either pitchers ability to do the job. Whichever way they go I think it’ll be hard to second guess the decision.

11. Ivan says:

Personally I would like yo split the lefties and also I really like Pettitte in dat potential swing game which game 3 potentially could be. Still I have no problem with the Yankees decision there.

• Laz says:

I really don’t think its a big deal having 2 lefties in row in the rotation.

• JAG says:

The only way it really matters is if the enemy has strong platoon bats. Then you may want to split the lefties so that they can’t get in a rhythm (if they’re good vs. LHP).

On the other hand, if their good platoon bats are vs. RHP, then you actually may want to bunch your lefties to cool them off. This would be especially true if the Rangers had such bats since Saunders is a LHP, so their lefty platoon bats would have 3 games off on top of all the scheduled off days.

All of it’s moot, though, since as I recall neither Baltimore nor Texas has much platooning going on.

12. Rey22 says:

The beauty of it is they’re both great options. Still can’t believe last year Freddy freakin Garcia was the #3 pitcher in the playoffs.

13. Dontcha Cano it?! says:

Everyone speaks of Texas moving on, but what if it’s Baltimore? I would assume Andy pitches very well in Baltimore and would be better suited as the #2 and Kuroda would get game 3 at home.

14. OldYanksFan says:

I think having a Lefty pitch at YS is important, which would leave Andy at #3. Most pitchers pitch better at Home, but I think because of Andy’s popularity with the fans, that he may ‘get more’ from the fan support of pitching at home.

As has been said above, I like splitting the lefties, and IF Game #3 IS an elimination Game, I’d rather Andy (over Hiroki) be on the mound.

15. Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

What’s this fascination with splitting up the lefties? If your two best pitchers are lefties you pitch them 1-2, period. It’s overmanaging to split them up so I’m sure Joe will do it. In 2010 ALCS, Andy couldn’t go in Game 2 so we had to pitch Phil Hughes instead. That cost us Game 2 and Game 6 because Phil was awful. Andy pitched a gem in Game 3 but was outdueled by Cliff Lee. CC 1, Andy 2, Kuroda 3, Phil 4.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Why are we assuming Andy is much better than Kuroda?

• Eddard reboot v.1.0 says:

Because he’s Andy Pettitte, that’s why. And if the ALDS goes 5 games then we’ve got Andy lined up for Game 1. If not, then they can pitch him in Game 3 in the ALCS as they’ll be at home for 1 and 2. Then Andy will be lined up for a possible Game 7 and there’s no other pitcher I’d want on the mound in an elimination game.

• OldYanksFan says:

Except this is NOT the difference bewteen Andy and a very inconsistant Hughes. This is the difference between Andy and a very decent Hiroki Kuroda, who in 33 games posted a 3.32 ERA and a 1.17 WHIP.

Is Andy a better pitcher? Is he more battle tested? Maybe. But the difference on any given day is small. However, having a lefty pitch in YS is a BIG advantage over a righty pitching in YS.

And CC will pitch #1 and #5. Regardless of what happens, Hiroki and Andy will only pitch one game. Maybe in a 7 games series, it will make a difference, but not in a 5 game series played over 6 days.

• Jim Is Bored says:

“Why is Andy better than Kuroda?”

“Because Andy is better than Kuroda!”

Tautologies ftw! Shouldn’t really expect anything else from Eddard, I guess.

16. RetroRob says:

It matters not. Each has to do their job in games 2 and 3.

17. handtius says:

If we end up in baltimore, their stadium is lefty friendly too, so it might be better to throw both lefties down there to shut down the lefty power. do they have any? I really haven’t paid them much attention. never thought they’d make it this far!

Kuroda has been better at home and I think Pettitte has pitched enough at camden to be comfortable there.

If it’s texas, I may throw Kuroda with his heavy sinker and Pettitte at home for the lefty advantage.

I think either way, you can’t fault the decision. Kuroda has been the tits all year and Pettitte is Pettitte. Always stepping up when he’s needed.

18. OldYanksFan says:

Pretty balanced for RH or LH batters

Dimensions:
    Left field: 333 ft.
    left-center: 364 ft.
    center field: 410 ft.
    deepest right-center: 4o0 ft.
    right-center: 373 ft.
    right field: 318 ft.

Fences: 25 ft. in right field, 7 ft. elsewhere.

Dimension wise, it seems to favor LHB pull hitters, EXCEPT that 25′ wall makes it ‘deeper’ then it’s dimension.

P.S. check out the prices!

19. Dan says:

Could we start Andy on three days rest?

20. dkidd says:

game 3 always seems to be the biggest in a 5 game series, so I would lean towards holding back andy (true yankee comfort level), but getting hiroki some extra rest can’t be a bad thing either. whatever happens, if they lose the series people will call for girardi’s head