Nov

Bidding closes for Hyun-Jin Ryu

Via Evan Grant: The bidding for Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu closed at 5pm ET today. Phil Rogers says the Cubs submitted a bit and Grant thinks the Rangers did, but that’s all we know at this point.

Ryu, 25, has been one of the best pitchers in KBO over the last several years and everything you need to know about him is right here. The Hanwha Eagles now have four days to either accept or reject the high bid. Apparently Ryu and the Eagles have already agreed to a minimum bid amount, so he’ll stay in Korea for another year if no team met that minimum. This whole process has been pretty quiet, so we have no idea which teams have serious interest and which are just doing their due diligence.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Frank says:

The cubs and rangers are definitely trying to build the right way. Kudos to them.

• Steve (different one) says:

What does this mean?

• Mike Axisa says:

It means he wants the shiny new toy.

• Steve (different one) says:

Right, and if the Yankees were to win the bid, everyone woul flip out because KLaw called Ryu a future reliever.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Sure, I don’t get hwy you’re actively baiting a comment you find annoying instead of just doing everyone a favor and ignoring it.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

That’s a pretty hypocritical comment coming from you. I don’t recall you complaining about the Yankees 2009 world championship that came as a result of them signing the 3 “shiniest new toys” before that season.

• Mike Axisa says:

Did I say there as anything wrong with it?

• Robinson Tilapia (IS Nate Silver) says:

Big difference, though.

To me, “shiny new toy” would refer to that one player, usually an international player coming to the US, who gets written up somewhere and, suddenly, it’s “sign him or failure” from fans who hadn’t even heard of the player a day earlier. It’s what we saw with Soler last year even after he signed that ridiculous contract.

That’s not how I’d personally see 2009.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I took Mikes comment as sarcastic and condescending. Around here, if someone expresses the desire to sign an Asian or Cuban FA, the self anointed more ” enlightened” fans jump down theirs throats as to why the signing is a mistake, usually in a condescending tone like Mikes when he referred to the player as a “shiny new toy”.

The Yankees have signed plenty of their own “shiny new toys” too, some of which have been instrumental in their success from El Duque to Matsui so I find it hypocritical mocking someone who seems to be expressing frustration that the Yankees have decided to pass on nearly all these type of players in recent years.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Since there is no official definition of “shiny new toy” as used in this context, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

2. Chamberlain says:

Yanks are not a perfect fit for Ryu…..
    He’s similar to Joe Saunders and Yanks do not need that kind of pithcers..

He might be the just fifth starter in the rebuliding team..

3. Frank says:

Actually, I know nothing about this kid and couldn’t care less if they bid on him. I do like how both teams have been very aggressive internationally…something the Yankees have continued to do, although not on the higher ticket guys.

4. Wayne says:

How is it if the Yankees do it it’s wrong but if rangers or cubs do it it’s the right way to build a team? They are going to pay huge for a guy who has not proved himself and from what I read is not projected to be a dominant starter!

• Robinson Tilapia (IS Nate Silver) says:

What’s funny about all this is that we only know about two teams bidding. For all we know, Ryu’s Yankee press conference will be set for Monday.

People have a narrative first, then have the available information fit the narrative. It’s the American way.

5. Soxhata says:

The Orioles signed a young Korean lefty last year,and I believe he beat us 3 times.We also passed on an excellent young outfielder in Cespedes.even though we have no outfield prospects that are major league ready.I say take a chance on this guy.It will make spring training more interesting.Frankly,I get bored reading about the next 37 year old we are targeting.

• YJ SEO says:

Chen Wei-Yin,a left handed pitcher of The Orioles, is not Korean.
      He’s Taiwanese. And he had been in NPB for 8 years.
      Plus Ryu is younger than Chen and throws a pretty good circle change-up.

6. google.com says:

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this
    I’ve discovered It absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads.
    I am hoping to contribute & assist different customers like its
    aided me. Good job.

Here is my weblog; seo rankings (google.com)