Nov

Get swept in the ALCS, win $115,065.28

Playoff shares were announced Monday morning, and the Yankees awarded 58 full shares worth a cool $115,065.28 each. Each LCS loser is allotted 12% of the $65.36M pool. That $115k+ is a drop in the bucket for stars like Derek Jeter and CC Sabathia, but it’s major cash for guys like Chris Stewart and David Phelps. A full share for the World Champion Giants was worth a bit more than $377k, breaking the previous record held by the 2006 Cardinals ($362k). The Tigers earned $284k each for sweeping the Yankees and then getting swept by San Francisco.

Categories : Asides, Playoffs

1. Jersey Joe says:

I think the true fans deserve this refund after that painful series. Another part of me died when I read “swept” again.

• RetroRob says:

Get used to it. The multiple rounds of playoffs means that the Yankees season will almost always end in “disappointment.”

2. Get Phelps Up says:

Lucky bastard Sam Pearce gets two playoff shares.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Holy crap he does. Sammy’s buying us dinner for keeping his name alive.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

I’d be happy with one share. Even for the lowest paid MLB player, that’s a 25% bonus. For us? Yeah, either give us a share, or even that refund is starting to sound good. :-)

3. mrdbag says:

Wow another day with cashman did nothing what a shock

4. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Arod, Cano and Swisher should have gotten playofff shares from Detroit as well.

5. soxhata says:

I watched the 1996 WS on MLB network,and it almost sickened me to see the fire,drive and never quit attitude.These so called sluggers this year,weren’t worth a friggin dime.I would have fired Kevin Long .Hell.pitching coaches get the axe all the time when the pitching blows.Lets get someone like Logam Morrison.He might be another find like Paul O’Neil.Remember,he was a .260 hitter with an attitude,and thrived in pinstrips.Notice I said like Morrison.Cashman needs to pull a rabbit out of his ass and make a surprise deal.We need new blood.

• MannyGeee - The race to $189 starts here! says:

i think.your keyboardz batterys.are broken.because your period.and,space bar do not seem.to be working.along with your’ logic button and.common sence barz.

6. Chris says:

I wish I got paid $100 k for not showing up to work. Or a $100 k bonus for poor performance. Same thing. America: land of opportunity you never earned.

7. Stratman9652 says:

I saw that the Oakland A’s players unanimously voted to donate a full player’s worth share to charity. When A’s players are giving away money like that it is a pretty big sign of how wrong every other team is doing it.

• Fernando says:

I don’t think that it’s fair to say the other teams don’t give, but it was a great idea by the Oakland team to do so.

I recall Yankee players raised money for the daughter of Red Sox coach, Ron Johnson. Many players give to various efforts throughout the year, either through club events like HOPE Week or their own charity work.

• Stratman9652 says:

Of course every team gives in other ways, but when things like this are the exception and not the norm, it kind of surprises me. It really surprises me when it is a bunch of guys making damn near league minimum leading the charge and digging deeper. Either way, kudos to them.

• Bo Knows says:

I disagree that its exception, as the Boss once said so eloquently:

“if you do something good for some person and more than two people know about it—you and the other person—then you didn’t do it for the right reason.”

• Stratman9652 says:

Clearly I can’t word anything tonight in a way that doesn’t make me sound like I am accusing team of not being charitable. I’m not implying that in any way. My goal was simply to express how ironic it was that the only team making news about giving playoff shares to charity is also the poorest team in baseball.

• Fernando says:

I totally get it. I think what your trying to say is that every team should donate one full share to charity. We were just pointing out that teams give in other ways. Of course, some players make a lot more money, so they could and should be more generous.

• Bo Knows says:

You know that most of the Big Money Players in the league have probably donated more to charity in a single month than most of the A’s make in a full season. So it’s not like these guys are a bunch of scrooges, also you can’t forget the fact that the Yankees are the only club that has anything like HOPE week (that is supposedly going to change soon though which is good)

8. RetroRob says:

Hmmm, 58 full shares. There was not 58 full-time players. I wonder if that means they voted full shares to guys like Cervelli who basically was supporting the MLB roster by serving as its backup. Or maybe it has something to do with players on the 40-man roster? Of course, as I’m writing this, I’m forgetting coaches and other field support staff, from Girardi, Pena, the bullpen coach, the trainer, etc. That’s probably how they get up to 58. Still seems like a lot for full shares.

• Mike Axisa says:

The coaches, trainers, clubhouse guys, equipment guys, groundskeepers, etc. usually get voted shares as well.

• RetroRob says:

Groundskeepers? That would be great. 115K would be one heck of a bonus. Ummmm, where can I sign up? I can do that Village People dance once a night if need be.

• RetroRob says:

Okay, well something I don’t quite understand here. The reports say it’s 115K per share, yet the MLB.com link shows:

• Yankees

Total: $1,718,977.33
          Full share: $26,238.86

New York gave 53 full shares, 11.94 partial shares and three cash awards.

Looks more like they Yankees get a set amount (makes sense), and then they vote how to chop it up in shares. Not sure how the 115K per share is calculated vs. the $26K shown above.

• Fernando says:

Yes, players vote on who gets a full share, partial share or cash awards. It include not just players on the playoff roster, but all players that played on the team as well as team personnel. The Yankees had more shares last year than the other clubs.

And in one case a few years back, I read the Rockies voted a full share to the family of Mike Coolbaugh a coach in their minor league system who had only been with the team a few weeks. Few players need that money, so it’s nice to see them reward team personnel and those less fortunate.

• RetroRob says:

I wonder if one reason the Yankees voted out more shares than the other clubs is a sign that their players are so well compensated that their more likely to split the pot into smaller pieces. In the worlds of Derek Jeter, CC, Teix, etc., they may be more likely to share some of the wealth then on a younger team where $100-200K could represent a major percentage of income.

It also might be a sign of all the injuries they had. Pineda missed the entire year, for example, yet I would think he’d be voted a full share. Mo gets a full share. Gardy gets a full share. Yet every injury, be it season ending or partial season, means more players on the roster and more shares.

9. Yankonymous says:

So, even winning the WS represents a pay decrease for most of the Yankee starters.

I wonder if that’s a factor in their poor playoff performances.

• MannyGeee - The race to $189 starts here! says:

Doing it for the money and only for the money. Sounds more like an NBA problem to me.