Nov

Open Thread: Rays go long with Longoria

The Yankees plan on trimming payroll in the near future, but their division rival to the (way) south handed their franchise player a six-year, $100M extension today. Evan Longoria’s new deal will (theoretically) keep him with the Rays through 2022 with an option for 2023, making him one of just five players signed into the next decade (Joey Votto, Ryan Braun, Troy Tulowitzki, and Albert Pujols are the others). Next year was the final guaranteed year on Longoria’s contract, but Tampa did hold options for 2014-2016. He certainly could have gotten more on the open market, but he wasn’t due to become a free agent anytime soon. Taking the guaranteed $100M is a pretty smart idea since there’s at least some chance he could turn into Eric Chavez. Fun fact: Longoria has played in the exact same number of games as Alex Rodriguez over the last three years (358).

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. The Knicks and Nets are playing (each other!), plus the Monday Night Football game is the Panthers at the Eagles. Yuck. Talk about either game or anything else here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. William says:

I think the Rays got a good deal.

2. Knoxvillain says:

I think the Rays are lucky for getting him for that cheap and I also think another team is lucky for not over paying him and having him play 130 games a year. Longoria is a great player but he is the most overrated player in baseball.

• JAG says:

That’s a little harsh. I’m quite certain there are players who are more overrated.

• Knoxvillain says:

Maybe. But he’s up there. I don’t want to come across as hating him because I wish he played third for the Yankees, but it’s annoying listening to everyone talk about how he’s the best third baseman in baseball, or he’s this or that. Kind of like Josh Hamilton but not as bad.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Overrated and injury prone are 2 different things. When he’s healthy, he’s excellent but he’s always hurt.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I wonder if dalelama has a younger cousin in Tampa who’ll be posting on their blogs in about five years.

3. Bo Knows says:

Good deal by the Rays

Also don’t yuck my team (Panthers) bro

4. Alex Q. says:

What if Longo does turn into Chavez? Would that just kill the Rays? Being that they don’t spend as it is and then you have have the face of your franchise struggling to stay on the field? Would have to think it would take them out of contention and cellar-dwellers again.

Or would they still have a shot?

• Knoxvillain says:

He already has health problems to begin with so it might not be a surprise. If they lose Longoria like the A’s lost Chavez it would definitely hurt them but it wouldn’t be the end of the world. They almost made the playoffs last year without him.

• Alex Q. says:

This is true but that was also having him still be extremely cheap. If you pay him and then he goes down, for a team that doesn’t generally spend you would have to think they wouldn’t raise payroll to make up for his absence, meaning that they would have less money to make up for him on the roster. Maybe they would?

• Knoxvillain says:

I was surprised they even had this kind of money to give Longoria in the first place. If he does go down it would hurt them for sure, but I think the Rays are going to be hurt more by not being able to draft so high in the round for almost ten years. In a few years when Price, Zobrist, Hellickson, and Shields are gone, they are going to be in a lot of trouble.

• Ted Nelson says:

I think it’s definitely possible. Decline doesn’t even have to be as steep as Chavez. It’s tough to keep replacing your vets successfully without spending much.

5. Lester Munson says:

He wont spend 1 year with the Rays during the extension (Past 2014/15). They will trade him and market him as an affordable superstar and get a haul back for him

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

If he has a relatively healthy and productive 2013 and 2014, it would probably be a smart move on their part.

6. Fernando says:

Heyman reporting on CBS Sports site that Jeff Keppinger broke his right fibula….wait for it….falling down a flight of stairs at his home. What is it with former Rays players and stairs?

Anyhow, initial reports say that he’ll be ready for Spring Training but it’s going to hurt his payday and the number of suitors.

• Tom says:

Could be a good “break” for the Yankees as maybe he will take a 1 year role as a supersub?

(apologies for the truly awful pun)

• Bo Knows says:

It makes so much sense now, when the Rays are done with you they not only trade you, they also send assassins to ruin take them out so they don’t come back to hurt them.

• GT Yankee says:

Broke my left fibula playing basketball in high school. Was able to return to sports between 2-3 months. Fibula is the skinny smaller bone on the outer part of the leg and fortunately for him it does not really end up affecting mobility.

As far as Longo, the fact that he has played the same amount of games as an A-Rod in decline over the last 3 years does not sound good. How much younger is he….10 years or so? The fact the Rays got a reduced rate is good for them. But being the highest paid player who is a sizable injury risk on a relatively small market team might not bode well for the Rays down the road.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

“Stairs” strikes again?

7. Tom says:

So on MLBtraderumors they mention some executives think Swisher will be in the 12-14mil range (obviously per year).

Why are the Yankees not jumping on this – I’d easily do that for 4, even 5 years. Then let Grandy walk. You also have a power bat which might make it a bit easier to walk away from Cano if the price gets absurd.

While I think the 12-14mil per may be a little low, it seems the Yankees have completely given up on the idea of bringing Swish back under any circumstances.

Is it wrong to hope this might be a Cashman stealth signing?

• Knoxvillain says:

I loved Swisher when he played here but his time is up. He can’t hit in the playoffs and if the Yankees are serious about getting under the 189 mark then he has got to go. I think 15 million a year for 4-6 years gets Swisher, but the Yankees won’t even make an offer. He’s a likable guy but he belongs somewhere else.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I can’t see swisher getting less than 4/$60 million minimum.

• OldYanksFan says:

I agree. He could even get 5 years.
        If the Yanks offer him 4/$54m now, he probably gets insulted. If he’s still on the market by Jan. 1st, maybe Cashman talks to him. The FA market usually results in the better players getting overpaid, and Cashman isn’t going there. But if for some reason he’s not signed by the New Year, I’ll be Cashman talks to him.

But a lot of new FAs get Johnny Damon syndrome.

• Ted Nelson says:

Don’t take rumors so seriously. If a team wants to sign a player, it is not in their best interest to let everyone know how much they value a player. Higher demand means higher price. Sometimes you hear that team x has been talking to player y, but sometimes you don’t. Especially if the guy was already with the org. I wouldn’t take no rumors to necessarily mean they haven’t spoken or aren’t interested in bringing him back at the right price (I have no idea if they are, just saying I wouldn’t rule it out based on rumors).

• Tom says:

Where did I rule it out? “It seems like”

Good grief man – read the last sentence of my comment.

• Ted Nelson says:

Where did I say you ruled it out? Here is what you said:

“Why are the Yankees not jumping on this”

“it seems the Yankees have completely given up on the idea of bringing Swish back under any circumstances.”

That is what I responded to. The only reason it could possibly seem that way to you unless you have connections inside the organization or Swisher’s camp is that there are no rumors.

Maybe try reading my comment. I read every word of yours.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

The Nets and Knicks are playing each other tonight. You can tell by my NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A PARKING SPOT TONIGHT.

9. mrdbag says:

Swisher getting 60 mil? He sucked in the playoffs and sucks in the outfield I’d rather have Hamilton

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Then you better take that $60 million and double it.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

The screen name continues to indicate to me that you’re not serious.

• Jersey Joe says:

I wish we just signed Swisher long-term, declined Grandy. With Swish I’d be OK with Cervelli/Whiteside/Romine/Stewie as C, and the OF would be easier to fill because we’d not have to worry about too many lefties, we could put Dickerson in left and grab a platoon partner on the cheap. Grandy basically has to bat 7th/8th and his value is sooooo loooow. He can’t hit lefties, he can’t play center, he K’s a lot. Swish made more sense for this lineup, and we’ll probably sign Grandy for 2-3 years after 2013 anyway.

10. Jersey Joe says:

I was thinking about Eddie Nunez’s problem with errors today and it reminded me of a recent middle school baseball incident. I was at 2nd base, in a 50/50 split with a 7th grader. I was playing on the OF grass, it was a big lefty hitter at the plate. The diving, line drive ball went right through my legs.

It stayed in my head for the next day and a half. At my next game, I only played CF, but I still could not get that play out of my head. The game after that, I was back at 2B, I fielded a grounder right and turned a double play. I got over it. I think the Yankees have to give Nunez regular season reps at SS, or it won’t fix him. Sure, they can hit a million grounders at him, but it doesn’t work unless it’s a game situation.

• jjyank says:

Well that was the plan when they sent him back to AAA. Him hurting his thumb kind of messed that up, though. He can’t get those regular reps in the majors at this point. I like Nunez, but he’s either got to figure out how to be a super-sub or boost his trade value enough in AAA so that he can bring back something more useful to the construction of this team.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Agree. He has to at least improve his defense to the below average range and out of the defensive abyss he’s in now to justify regular playing time.

• Jersey Joe says:

The thing is the games need to be real. In scrimmages/practice, it doesn’t matter, and the player knows that, so even the positives stay in his head. If it’s in his head, he has to play at MLB level.

• jjyank says:

And where does he play at the MLB level? Assuming Jeter can play at least most of the time, he has no position. Unless, like I said, he can figure out how to be a super-sub. He’s not going to start at SS full time in the majors with the Yankees. He’s just not. Derek Freaking Jeter is there. If he can play a handful of games at SS, a handful at 3B, a random few at 2B, and a handful at DH, sure, he can be useful. The only place Nunez will get those every day reps will be in AAA.

• Jersey Joe says:

If Jeter is hurt on opening day, I think Nunez deserves 2 weeks to prove himself and Jeter 2 weeks to recover to his full self.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

And if that didn’t work out, I’d go sign Enrique Wilson

• jjyank says:

And if Nunez does prove himself? He’ll still either be a utility infielder, in AAA, or traded when Jeter comes back. Which is my point. If he can’t be a utility guy, he has no place on this team outside of trade fodder.

If Jeter’s ankle becomes a career-ending thing, that changes the dynamic, obviously. But we have no reason to believe that at this time.

• RetroRob says:

I’m okay with Nunez out there for a month at the start. He’s going to make some errors, but he did seem solid when he filled in for Jeter in 2011. Playing same position every day and knowing he’s going to play I’m sure helped. He’s just not a supersub type. He can deliver greater value playing every day at SS, which is why he’s better off on another team.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

At his age, with the time he’s spent playing professional baseball, it’s too late for this in my totally unprofessional opinion (so I may be wrong). This isn’t middle school ball. If he can’t get the last mistake out of his head at this point in his career, he doesn’t belong on a MLB roster.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, it’s a nice thought by Joe but I would agree that it’s a little more complicated. Nunez has been making mistakes and getting more in game reps for years. I don’t think he’s completely hopeless and perhaps he will benefit from playing only SS, but the solution isn’t quite so simple in my opinion either.

11. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

What did everyone think of the walking dead yesterday? I loved the episode and next weeks preview looks great too.
    i can’t wait for Michonne to carve up Merle and the governor with that sword.

• jjyank says:

Ah damn it. I totally spaced last night (and by spaced, I mean I was too busy opening a can of whoop-ass in some Halo 4 match making) and forgot to watch. I need to go watch it now before I make an unfortunate refresh and spoil something.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

Son, you gotta get your priorities in order. Sunday night is walking dead, homeland, boardwalk empire and Dexter night.

• jjyank says:

Few things are as satisfying as completely shutting out the other team in Capture The Flag over and over. Just got lost in the blissful art of school noobs, I suppose. I shall play catch up tonight.

• Pat D says:

Boardwalk Empire all the way. Last night’s episode was a classic and next week’s looks like it will be positively epic.

12. 28 this year says:

Brian Wilson of the Giants may get non-tendered. He might make a decent target although I dont know how low he would be willing to go. Him or Soria would make the bullpen quite strong.

13. CT Yankee says:

A little bird just told me the Lakers and Knicks are working on a trade that would Send Amar’e to L.A. in exchange for Pau.

14. matt montero says:

Apparently the Red Sox and Royals are talking about a trade centered around Lester and Wil Myers (extremely early stages but they have discussed it so still interested). I’m really hoping the Red Sox don’t get Wil Myers.

On another note, do you think there would be anyone on the team that the Royals would be interested in that the Yankees could get back Myers? They’re obviously looking for pitching, but I’m assuming they wouldn’t want Hughes and certainly not Nova.

15. Rocky Road Redemption says:

You know what? WALL-E is a great movie.

• Pat D says:

Absolutely. The first 20 minutes or so (before EVE arrives) might be the best moments ever in an animated movie.

I also think it might be Pixar’s best, though there are several contenders for that title.