Nov

Open Thread: GM Meetings Day Two

Unsurprisingly, there wasn’t much Yankees-related news out of the GM Meetings in California today. They’re reportedly not in on Justin Upton and unwilling to offer Torii Hunter more than one year, which could just be a negotiating ploy for all we know. Infielder Maicer Izturis signed a three-year, $9M contract with the Blue Jays a few hours after I wrote about him as a potential bench option for the Yankees. I figured someone would pay him starter-ish money. He was always a long shot for New York. Once the deadline for players accept/reject qualifying offers passes tomorrow, things should pick up a bit since the Yankees will know who exactly they have to replace.

Here is your open thread for the night. The NFL game is the Colts at the Jaguars, plus there’s some NBA action on somewhere. Talk about whatever you like here (no politics!), so have at it.

It’s always a bit of a pain to come up with photos for these things, so I’m going to just embed random MLB.com video clips until I get bored and think of something else.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Pat D says:

Trying to watch an Ingmar Bergman movie when you don’t feel physically well might be one of the hardest things to do.

2. Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

I’ve been thinking a lot about the posters here, and fans in general who always have the “let the kids” play mentality and constantly repeat that montra…Do any of you remember 2008 when we had Hughes, IPK, Joba, Cano, Melky, Gardner, Wang, Edwar Rameriez, and Jose Veras on the team? I mean all of these guys were homegrown “kids” (the oldest of which was Wang at the age of 28) and we all saw how that played out.

• RetroRob says:

Let the kids play.

Just make sure they’re also superstars!

• jjyank says:

It’s silly. A nice concept. Would I like to see an average team age of like, 26? Hell yeah. But I would rather see an average ave of 33 if that team is more talented. Field the best team you can.

I agree fully with what Cashman said a week or two ago (I’m paraphrasing): Let’s get better. If we can get younger at the same time, let’s do that. But better is the priority.

I understand that letting prospects get their lumps in the majors might very well be necessary. If Manny Banuelos had a healthy and effective 2012, I would be all for letting him take his shot in the back end of the rotation. But nobody at the upper levels has the caliber of talent that I’m comfortable penciling in as a starter for 2013.

• Get Phelps Up says:

As I’ve said a few times, I bet that a good portion of the people who want to blow the team up and let the kids play are the same type of people who would jump ship after a few seasons of actual rebuilding and mediocre teams.

• forensic says:

That season could just as easily be blamed on any combination of long-past-firing-time Torre, Posada, Pettitte, Jeter, Molina, Moeller/Rodriguez, Ponson, Farnsworth, Hawkins, Pavano, etc.

Not to mention, some of the guys you list were actually good/ok that year. And if you don’t ever start playing guys such as Cano, and to a lesser extent, the other guys, then you don’t get what you currently have in them.

Do you think if you left them all in the minors and played others over them they’ll suddenly come up years later like they currently are?

I’m not a play all the kids person, but continually going after mid-upper 30′s guys and never breaking new guys in doesn’t fix anything. This team is in sore need of some youth and/or a different dimension for the team, especially the offense. Sometimes you have to go through some speed bumps like some of those guys did to see if you can actually get something good-great at the end of the line.

• forensic says:

Sorry, got my years blended together, ignore my Torre-based blame on that one.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Yes, but if they are trying to win every year, they can’t just hold open tryouts either. They need to have some reasonable expectation of success for the player. I’m not sure any of the current AAA players currently fit that criteria.

• forensic says:

I agree, though that points out a whole other organizational deficiency for another debate.

Though I will say possibly different handling of Nunez (and better adaptation/improvement defensively on his part) could’ve solved some of this. There’s also a modicum of interest in potential improvements in Dickerson’s game. He’s certainly not a young long-term piece, but could be a useful, cheap partial player for a team like this.

• forensic says:

How about some happy memories though?

How about .965 OPS (150 OPS+) A-Rod? 30+ 2B, 35+ HR, 15+ SB. I miss that.

And Giambi, .876 OPS (128 OPS+)? At this point, I wish Tex was like Giambi (at least offensively) as people seemingly say when they’re trying to insult Tex instead of compliment him.

And how about Moose? What a year. Shutting out Boston for 6 innings in the second to last game of the year to give that day some joy at least.

And Mo? Almost video game numbers that year (arguably his best).

3. paul a says:

So the Yankees are being frugal. This is just great, we’re slowly turning into the Pittsburgh Pirates.

4. RetroRob says:

I guess Tino wasn’t too hyped up about being part of a duopoly hitting coach situation in Boston. He preferred being a dictator hitting coach for the Marlins.

Disaster averted, not that I would have cared much, but some seemed bothered by Tino going to the Red Sox as a coach.

• Pat D says:

When Hawk Harrelson ran the White Sox, he brought in one of his old teammates to be a pitching coach along with Dave Duncan. Tony LaRussa was not pleased. Harrelson then fired LaRussa, who went and had oodles of success in Oakland, so who had the last laugh?

• Get Phelps Up says:

“Can’t understand why they would want two hitting coaches. How the hell could that work?”

They’re clearly taking Tim McCarver’s advise that every hitter needs their own hitting coach.

• MannyGeee says:

You cannnnn putitonthebooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaard

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Steve (different one) says:

Not that this is a necessity to be a hitting coach, but Tino had one of the ugliest LHed swings I’ve ever seen.

5. art vandelay says:

I mentioned it in the Nick Swisher thread earlier, but I ran into Nick Swisher the other day at work, super awesome guy ! I literally just bumped into him and barely recognized him without the swisher hawk and the glasses.

Here’s the pic I got with him !

• jjyank says:

That’s really cool dude. I’ve always been a huge fan of his (perceived) personality, and I’m glad to hear he’s like that in person.

6. Steve (different one) says:

Mike, you wrote that Nick Hundley post right before Grandal got suspended, then the Izturis post right before he signed with Toronto, can you do me a favor and write a post in why Kuroda might reject the QO tomorrow? Need him to accept, and I’m tired of waiting…