Nov

Sunday Night Open Thread

The Thanksgiving weekend is over, so now it’s time to count down the days until that wonderful Christmas/New Years stretch at the end of December. Between now and then we’ll have the Winter Meetings, baseball’s annual offseason mecca. The smart money is on the Yankees doing something in the next two weeks, even if it’s just re-signing Mariano Rivera and Andy Pettitte. Those moves are pretty big even though we can fall into the trap of taking those two for granted.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the night. The late NFL game is a pretty good one, with the Packers at the Giants (8:20pm ET on NBC). Talk about that or anything else here.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Hendo says:

Who was that guy?

2. JLC 776 says:

Boy could he turn on a pitch!

3. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

That highlight proves that every so often we see the old Alex.

4. mrdbag says:

Arod should have been traded to the dodgers then this off-season sign josh Hamilton

5. jjyank says:

Just got back to DC after a long weekend in Jersey. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Well, everyone except the douches who come here to enjoy making fun of other peoples’ personal lives, after reading through a couple of threads. Sometimes I lament the idea that I will be defending their lives in a few months.

For the rest of you normal folk, I hope you all had a very enjoyable holiday.

6. Nolan says:

How about signing Hamilton to a 3 or 4 year deal and trading Cano now? Cano is going to want at least 7 years. If we don’t want to have another arod contract on the books (ie paying for the decline) how about
    1) trade cano for 3 top prospects
    2) sign Hamilton
    3) trade granderson for prospects
    4) trade prospects netted in cano granderson trades plus any of our own prospects for Giancarlo Stanton.
    5) bring up David Adams to play 2b

Gone: granderson, cano, swisher
    Replaced by: Adams, Hamilton, Stanton

Yanks are younger, cheaper and better

• Cris Pengiucci says:

How cheaply do you think Hamilton would be on a 3-4 year deal? I suspect very expensive. While the Yankees might be younger, they might not be cheaper.

• And in merrie olde England says:

Speaking with someone with massive experience (It’s a living – in positive way!) of people who rehabilitate, chances are he’s got a ton less miles on the clock than usual. I have nothing but hope that he’d be able to stay on the rails going forward.

• Get Phelps Up says:

So you don’t want to pay for Cano’s decline but you are willing to pay for Hamilton’s decline? Even if it’s just a 4 year deal you’re paying big money for 35 and 36 year old Josh Hamilton with all of his injury and drug history.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Grandy, Cano, Swisher combined fWAR last year: 14.3
      Hamilton and Stanton combined: 10.2
      Add in a generous league average starter 2.0 fWAR for Adams and the Hamilton, Stanton, Adams still comes up about 2 wins short in performance (compared to last season).

• radnom says:

You’re only looking at it in the short term. Swisher, Cano and Granderson won’t fit under the 189 cap – Swisher is already gone and Granderson will likely follow next offseason. Hamilton, Adams and Stanton could fit all fit on a 189 payroll. Assuming Cano will command similar dollars/year as Hamilton when he hits the market, the Yankees would be A LOT better off in 2014 having made the proposed hypothetical moves.

That being said – the Marlins are not trading Stanton and Hamilton isn’t signing for 4 years.

• No trade me...Arod says:

I like your ideas but Hamilton will want a long deal too and he is in his 30s. I would take Stanton in a 2nd. Make that deal if possible. Cano is a premium hitter who was off his game a little this year. I want him as my 3,4,or 5 hitter for the next 5-6 years. Get rid of Granderson for prospects. But they have to figure how to get rid of Arod. Maybe pay a 3rd of his contract but I know that is very unlikely. Bring in Ichiro for another year or 2…he is awesome

• Jacob says:

By better I assume you mean at being pompus jerks who think they are better than everyone and use drug problems as an excuse for struggles, Than yes we would be way better.

• Havok9120 says:

Well…this is better than some.

Still completely bonkers though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I enjoy a good bit of Yankee Fan Faction.

7. Scooter says:

although crazy… Arod for Vernon Wells? Both are right handed… both are bad contracts… The yanks would need to add cash… BUT the Angels need 3b help and the yanks need OF help… how crazy is it…

8. archie says:

Those were the dayyysss…

9. Mattchu12 says:

Anybody think that we can include Granderson in the deal for Stanton? Hear me out.

Think about the Matt Holiday-to-OAK trade, except where Holiday doesn’t suck it up in Oakland and got a lack-luster return for Oakland. If that had gone right, Oakland would have gotten a pretty nice return for him at the trade deadline. So in my head, you package a few of the top prospects we have (because we have so few with ManBan’s injury and Betances’ sucking it up) like Gary Sanchez, Tyler Austin, and Mason Williams.

Now the Marlins get three great prospects, plus whatever they can get in return for Grandy at the Trade Deadline, or maybe they just resign him, I have no clue what their plan is.

Highly unlikely, but still a stray thought I had reading crappy trade proposals.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s crossed my mind. Gives the three fans left in Miami the illusion they want to compete in 2013.

I just don’t think it makes sense for either team in 2013.

• forensic says:

That’s extremely unlikely no matter what, but I think it at least would’ve been a little more likely under the old CBA where the team trading for him would’ve gotten a draft pick. Now they get nothing and it wouldn’t seem to be as worth it for the team trading for him, lowering what the Marlins would get, thereby lowering his value in the first place.

10. Jacob says:

Waitt, *thinks to self* we need a veteran who can play 3B and SS better than Nix + can hit? RT how do we pry JHJr. from the dodgers?

11. Andrew Brotherton says:

The only way you could do that is with it being possibly realistic is Granderson+Nova for Rendon, Goodwin, and Leon then possibly trade Rendon, Phelps, Williams, and Sanchez for Nolasco and Stanton. The Nationals would get their center fielder for a lot cheaper than the free agent options. The Yankees would get a future piece in Goodwin, and a possibly catcher in Leon, the Marlins would get 3 top 50 prospects and a pitcher they could slot in their rotation right now. That scenario might work?

• Jersey Joe says:

Problem with this is A. Nova’s down year B. Yankees have already said they’ll swap Grandy and Gardy, therefore Grandy is technically a LF, less martketable.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Not that I’m endorsing the above trade proposal, but I think folks on here place too much value on someone’s most recent result. There’d be more to Ivan Nova to a potential trade partner than how he finished up the season.

• whiskey quibbler says:

if i’m a non-yankee gm i value nova exactly where he ended the season. i liked the heavy fastball groundball guy. but he fell in love with his offspeed stuff, and when his head wasn’t in the game he could be OWNED.

i, yankee fan, want to believe he’s got pretty good stuff, that his issues are mostly mental. not a stretch to think he loses focus.

but we don’t know right now. and zero reason for another team to give him, by extension us, the benefit of the doubt.

• DC says:

Just because the Yankees are considering a swap, does not mean Grandy is not a CF and therefore less marketable. If it worked that way, announce Grandy is going to be the starting catcher and increase his value.

• MannyGeee says:

this.

innings played in CF over his career>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brian Cashman saying he’s going to put his much better defensive outfielder in CF over Granderson.

Not like you’re trying to pass Ibanez as a CF.

12. Yankee Doodle says:

Yankees should really inquire on Alex Gordon since the royals are listening on everyone?

13. Robinson Tilapia says:

There should be a moratorium on Giancarlo Stanton trade proposals on here until Big Member is allowed to weigh in with his.

14. paul a says:

I believe Cashman has his sights on one big deal that is going to shock the shit out of everyone, targeting someone who nobody is talking about. I just hope its not another Pineda.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

I’ve been thinking the same thing. Total stealth.

• Havok9120 says:

I’ll get suspicious if we make it through the end of the Winter Meetings with no real activity regarding catching or the OF. I’ll start expecting a big move of some sort if we’re still hearing absolutely nothing about the two empty positions by then, simply on the theory of “its waaaaay too quiet.”

I’m not there yet, though.

• vicki says:

blah blah pineda blah.

15. Rocky Road Redemption says:

So Fireman Ed quit because Jets fans are dicks.

I am being completely serious.

• vicki says:

not a jet fan, but this is appalling.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I bet his brother, who has to hold that maniac up on his shoulders for half the game and the people who sit behind him are thrilled with this news.

His act is over the top and I think he’s an attention seeker but in all fairness supposedly he’s been offered all kinds of money for radio spots, etc and has always turned them down.

16. Herby says:

I don’t think I’m going to be able to sleep tonight…having to be put through listening to three of John Sterlings Home Run calls in such a short period. I’m not sure if I’ll ever be the same.
    The everything for Stanton posts are getting old too…yes, he’s a great young player with a lot of power and team control, but is he really worth giving up everything you’ve got for one player…I love the trade Cano for prospects, trade Granderson for prospects, use your own prospects and make the call post…sounds like desperation to me. I think there will be other players that will be able to produce perhaps not the same numbers, but close, but at not nearly the cost some are suggesting.

17. Jonathan says:

I was at that game…that last one into the fountain was a fucking BOMB…not a lame A-Bomb…just a bomb. Rarely can you combine the line drive/fly ball into a home run..but when you get that type of backspin AND lift….awesome.

• Reuben Sierra's Chains says:

I was there too. It was awesome. I remember thinking right before the 3rd one that he can’t do it again can he? Then he did!

18. RetroRob says:

Hmmm, tone here is changing from Ichiro wants to return, to seemingly Yankees also want him to return. If this turns out true, gotta hope his solid September/October signals a Jeter-like revival for 2013.

19. Bavarian Yankee says:

the Rays just extended Longoria’s contract by an additional 6/100. He’s now under contract through 2022 with a team option for 2023.

Good for them, that entire contract is such a huge bargain for the Rays, especially when you consider that the AAV over the next 4 years is only $9M. If he stays healthy that should be one of the better big money investments we’ve seen during the past years.