Nov

Wednesday Night Open Thread

In honor of the 2013 Hall of Fame ballot being released today, here’s the video of Roger Clemens’ masterpiece in Game Four of the 2000 ALCS. He one-hit the Mariners in the complete-game shutout, striking out 15 against just two walks while throwing 138 pitches. The Yankees were up two games to one in the series and would eventually win it in six. With a Game Score of 98, it was the second best start of Clemens’ big league career (here’s number one).

Here is your open thread for the night. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, but talk about anything you like here. Have at it.

[video link in case the embed doesn't work]

Categories : Open Thread

1. ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

Favorite Clemens moment has to be when he threw the bat at Piazza. Best part was when he tried to justify it with, “I thought it was the ball.”

• Pat D says:

I still honestly don’t think he saw Piazza coming down the line.

• CountryClub says:

It was alpha male type behavior. Clemens was all pumped up. He shattered Piazza’s bat. Part of the bat finds its way towards him and he fires it back at Piazza in a “get this shit out of here” type fashion.

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I guess I’ll never understand. I think I’m hung up on him saying he thought it was the ball. he would have thrown the ball to first. We all would have called for his head and made Knoblauch jokes if he threw it to what is essentially nowhere.

2. vin says:

Cue the obligatory ARod remarks…

3. Luisergi says:

I don’t give a shit if Roger was on PED’s back then, this game, and many more he started, were wonderful to see.

• Stratman9652 says:

That’s honestly how I feel about the PED era in general. Yes it was tainted and a black eye on the sport on one hand, but, on the other hand, there is no denying it made for exciting baseball and probably did wonders in attracting fans.

Before I was ever a baseball fan, I remember watching McGuire chase the home run record. It was exciting even for people who weren’t baseball fans. People dig the long ball and guys who throw 100 mph gas.

4. Curtis says:

Martin appears to be gone, with the supposed Pirates offer. I am apathetic.

• MannyGeee says:

If they’re really outbidding the Yankees to that extent, then you got to tip your hat to them and let him go. Lord knows if Cashman overpaid for him, there would be hell (albeit, he’ll from the MSM & the Blogisphere…) to pay.

• RetroRob says:

I find it hard to believe he’d go play for the Pirates having been in LA and NY, but money talks. I don’t see the Yankees matching a four-year offer, although they will probably move off their rumored two-year offer to three years.

The Yankees are a better team with Martin as opposed to the collection of Cervelli, Stewart and Romine. Probably at least a two win difference. That’s a lot in the AL East.

5. mrdbag says:

Bj to the braves 5/75

6. paul a says:

Want to throw a couple of names out there in the sought of what do we have to lose catergory, Chone Figgins, can play third,second and short with lots of speed, and Bryan Pena an upgrade over Cerveli, Stewart and Romine

• MannyGeee says:

Chone Figgins is not really good at anything anymore, except for having a misleading reputation as a supersub with a decent bat. I don’t know enough about Peña to mock your suggestion for him, but I’ll research and get back to ya…

7. William says:

So, does Clemens go in the hall of fame as a yankee or Red Sox?

8. mustang says:

Is it me or does the BJ to the Braves for 5/75 seem like a realy good deal for the Braves.

• Preston says:

It’s a good move for them. Much better than signing Bourne.

• Tom says:

Meh. Seems like an OK deal – don’t think it’s bad but I don’t think it’s a huge bargain either.

Upton has always been more about potential and tools. He’s a bit over-rated defensively – a strong arm but even with his speed it doesn’t translate into great range. UZR has him slightly above average for his career (but pretty close to average for the last 3 years), DRS has him below average.

He’s got good power (especially for a CF’r), very good speed, but he strikes out a ton (over 150K’s each of the last 4 seasons) and has hit under.250 each of the last 4 seasons (and had a sub .300 OBP last year). His power keeps him over a league average hitter, but it’s basically Granderson offensively with less power and no walks and some more SB’s.

I do like him better than Bourne – too much of Bourne’s value is wrapped up in defense and I’m not sure defense is valued correctly with some of the metrics (especially players on the extreme high or low end at a given position)

• Tom says:

I shouldn’t have said no walks – he does walk at an approximately average rate, I probably should have said his walk rate doesn’t make up for his low batting average.

• CountryClub says:

It’s way too much money. BJ Upton is either not as talented as people think or a ridiculous underachiever.

• Big Member says:

BJ the last 4 years combined – 14 WAR
        Swisher the last 4 years combined- 15 WAR

Is Swisher a ridiculous underachiever as well?

• MannyGeee says:

So Swisher is worth that $15M per? Honestly, BJ might very well be a “change of scenery” candidate, because just raw talent-wise, he’s miles and away better than Swisher.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I actually expected him to get more since he plays a premium position and is younger than most FAs.

I wonder if someone could land Swisher for around 4/$56 now. If so, he’d be a good value.

9. Big Member says:

I actually would not mind seeing Martin sign a 3 year deal with Pirates and would only regret the decision of the front office not to offer him a qualifying offer.

Look at it this way, if he hits well, Yanks can just trade Mustelier or Whitley or some other AAAA player for him. Pirates love our AAAA players.

Also my prediction of BJ signing with Atlanta came true. I knew he would take a home town discount and an opportunity to mob with his hommie Heyward. Now, all they need to do is sign Bourn to have a very dynamic OF that is very capable of stealing.

10. hogsmog says:

“3.70 ERA the second lowest in the American League.”

PEDs or no, there’s no doubt that the steroid era was much, much kinder to hitters than pitchers.

11. matt montero says:

Anyone have any guess as to what Rick Porcello would cost?

12. Murderers' Row Boat says: