Dec

Cody Ross headed to Arizona; Yankees not close to any trades

Free agent outfielder Cody Ross has agreed to a three-year deal with the Diamondbacks, reports Mark Feinsand. The Yankees reportedly had interest in the right-handed hitter earlier this offseason, though they were never a realistic landing spot given his demand for three years. I wouldn’t have been cool with signing him that long even without the 2014 payroll plan.

More than anything, the signing increases the likelihood of Arizona trading one of their spare outfielders. Justin Upton is the big name, but Jason Kubel also makes a ton of sense for New York as the left-handed half of a DH platoon. D’Backs GM Kevin Towers spent a year in the Yankees front office and knows their farm system pretty well. Buster Olney says the Bombers are not close on any trades, however. The market for Scott Hairston, by far the best right-handed hitting outfielder left on the market, should also begin to really heat up as well.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. jjyank says:

Yeah, no thanks on 3 years.

2. The Real Eddard says:

This non sign makes more sense than pierzynski, but I still am ready for the team to improve in some fashion. I didn’t want to believe it, but this off season pretty much confirms that $$$ > winning.

• Artis says:

Yeah, how on earth can the Yanks expect to compete with a $200 mil payroll?

• Evan3457 says:

It’s a lot harder when so much of it is wasted paying for past glory.

• smurfy says:

Exactly. “I wouldn’t have been cool with signing him that long even without the 2014 payroll plan.” I venture that the payroll tax recognition plan will instill proper discipline to supplant the “my kingdom for that heartthrob” approach.

3. Get Phelps Up says:

3 years $26M is way too much for a right handed pull hitter who did most all of his hitting at Fenway.

4. Aly says:

Each day, the Yankees miss out on various good-fitting players and it breaks my heart. Ibanez wants to return. Pierzynski would have been great for the 1 year. They can have Alfonso Soriano for 5 million per year. They let Martin leave. Soria could have been a great fit…on and on each day. It’s making me physically sick. A good team could have been great with very little effort or money.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

If anything you watch for entertainment is getting you physically ill while it’s in the process of getting made maybe it’s time to do something else.

• Rich in NJ says:

Yeah, shaking one’s head should probably be the upper limit on any negative physical reaction.

• Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM) says:

The only thing that has me physically ill is I don’t want to get out of bed, as this is the first Saturday off I have had in probably a couple years, yet I should be doing house-work and wrapping christmas presents, and buying the one more I need to get.

• Reggie C. says:

To be completely honest here among my fellow Yankee fans…

I suffered severe nausea watching the RS complete the most awful playoff comeback I have ever witnessed. You guys know what i’m talking about.

• jjyank says:

I have no idea what you speak of.

Seriously though, that was gut-wrenching, and very different than freaking out about not signing platoon outfielders that are only a marginal fit at best to a 3 year contract.

• MannyGeee says:

What is this comeback you’re speaking of? I remember the Orioles coming back one season, and I remember the Rays coming back one season….

But a comeback involving Boston? Doesn’t ring a bell…

• jjyank says:

LOL at missing out on Cody Ross for 3 years “breaking your heart” and making you physically sick. They only move (or non-move) I really think sucks is letting Martin go.

Also, do people realize that the players themselves have to actually WANT to sign here? It’s not a damn video game.

• Rich in NJ says:

The Martin move only sort of sucks, imo, in the context of giving Ichiro a second season. But for that move, I completely understood the reluctance to give him a second year.

What I think may truly suck is the corner they seem to be putting themselves in with regard to a future extension for Cano. IOW, either further limiting their already restricted payroll and roster flexibility if they aren’t willing to be free spenders again in 2015, or having to accept a mere draft pick for their best and youngest really good player.

• Bob Buttons says:

Pierzynski sucks (as a person, and on the field), Alfonso can only pull homers to the cavernous left field (and can’t field), Soria wants a setup job (which Robertson rightfully deserves, and our bullpen is probably the one thing we don’t have to worry about for now). Pierzynski and Soria’s contracts were not cheap at all.

Not trying to sound harsh but being happy with what the Yanks do have could do you a lot of good.

• MannyGeee says:

Ummmm, not all “good fitting players” are really great fits. If the Yankees signed every good fit player, they would have a roster of about 95 people, and you still wouldn’t be happy.

And I am sorry to hear of your physical illness. Try some Midol. Should help ease the symptoms

5. Cy Pettitte says:

They could probably get Kubel in a salary dump for basically nothing, no? Can’t see Arizona getting any kind of impact prospect for him. I would take him as a LH DH for 2013 and then buy out his 2014 option for $1m. Hairston/Kubel wouldn’t be terrible for a DH platoon.

• Travis L. says:

What about Dickerson instead of Kubel?

• LK says:

If we’re talking DH, Dickerson isn’t a great option in my opinion since his fielding gets negated. I think I would’ve been OK with rolling with him in RF and letting Ichiro go if it meant they could bring Martin back, though.

6. dkidd says:

3 years for cody ross?

we’re through the looking glass, people!

7. Frank says:

I keep waiting for BC to make a shocking trade, and it’s certainly not too late, but I get the feeling that we’re looking at our 2013 NYY, for e most part. Unless someone decides it makes more sense trading granderson or cano bc we won’t be able to re-sign them….I don’t see where they would make a big splash. Stanton and upton aren’t coming, so what other position would they even target? I guess a catcher but I don’t know of any big names who are available. Sad offseason thus far with at least one more to follow.

• Bob Buttons says:

Just relax, will ya? On paper, we should be at least good enough for 2nd wild card. Boston is still kind of a mess, Orioles didn’t do squat to fill their holes, TB and Toronto might get East and WC. Central goes to Detriot, West goes to LA. Texas lost Hamilton, Napoli and lost out on big names, and Oakland, well, they’ll fall back to Earth.

While this team aren’t favorites for anything, they certainly are a legitimate post-season contender.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

Three years? No thanks.

9. stu phillips says:

All hal steinbrenner things about is monry

10. turd surfer says:

Wouldn’t it be something if the Angels traded for Upton somehow. I don’t see how they have the pieces but that would be a fun outfield.

Rangers seem like the obvious fit for Upton.

11. dalelama says:

We are going to suck that much is for sure.

12. Tyrone Sharpton says:

woulda been cool if they signed ross, converted him into a pitcher and made him a super utility player/relief pitcher. wish mlb had one of them types

13. Tyrone Sharpton says:

o, and boston apparently is close to getting hanrahan. can’t wait to see that guy get shelled, his fastball is pretty straight

14. Blake says:

Trade for Morse

15. Roy Munson says:

Like the Non-Sign, Dis-like Scott Hairston, and without 100% health and w/o a few more additions (DH, SP, RP)it could be a long season in the boogie down…

16. Herby says:

Sounds like a lot of whining and moaning this offseason about marginal players…nothing that’s going to make a huge difference. Ichiro is probably the biggest mistake at two years, but nothing that can’t be lived with. At the beginning of last August everyone was ready to sign up to be the one to buy Martin a ticket out of town, now they can’t live without him because of his magical ability to frame pitches, and his late season run. As well as trade the farm and my wife for Stanton…or at least my mother-in-law…seems like some think one player is going to make all the difference in the world.
    It would be nice to see what happens by spring training, what the team looks like…and how often the team that breaks camp rarely has the same look as the team that finishes the year…seems like we missed the end of the world just to get to the end of the Yankee world.

• Artis says:

Shows you how much of the Yankee fanbase are just spoiled brats who only root for the team because they spent the most and always got the shiniest toys.

17. Travis L. says:

Is Kubel that much of an upgrade over Dickerson, that we would give up a player for him? He may be, I never really followed him much, but I do think that Dickerson is better than he gets credit for and he doesnt get a whole lot of playing time to prove it.

• FIPster Doofus says:

The Yankees need power. Kubel would provide some. Dickerson wouldn’t.

• Travis L. says:

Not to sound like an idiot (and many will think I do), why doest everything have to be about power? I’m not relating this to Dickerson/Kubel, but if you had to choose between two players…

a) .320 avg and 5 hr

b) .250 avg and 20 hr

…who would you rather have? It just seems that the Yankees would rather have the low average, high HR guy, than the guy who regularly makes contact. Is there something else I’m missing here?

• FIPster Doofus says:

The Yankees like guys who get on base and hit homers (as do I), and they’ve lost a lot of HRs this offseason with Swisher leaving, Martin and Jones out, A-Rod hurt, and Ibanez potentially departing. Kubel would fill the power void left by that group a lot better than Dickerson would.

• Milt Toast says:

Ever heard of on base percentage?

• jjyank says:

Those options are too simplistic. Does player B have a rock solid OBP (Giambi type) or does he not walk at all (Mark Trumbo type)? Big deal there. If player A hits .320/.350/.350 (hitting those 5 homers) and player B hits .250/.360/.450, I take player B all day, every day.

• Travis L. says:

Gotcha. I should have included a bit more. LOL. I never took into account what someone said below, about losing power from Swisher, Martin, Jones and possibly Ibanez. I guess we would have to get it from somewhere. That makes sense.

• G says:

Depends on walks, contact rate, and, perhaps above all, if the .320 hitter was hitting enough XBH to have a SLG as high or higher than the second player. Some studies have shown SLG to be the most important offensive statistic, so if the .250 players 20 HR also come with way more doubles and triples, they’re probably the best choice.

• Pistol Pete says:

Ask the Mets how important power is. Problem is power works for 162 games but is unreliable in the post season. Be careful what you ask for because if you don’t get to the playoffs it really doesn’t matter how much contact you might have had in the playoffs.

• Herby says:

Some more power perhaps…pretty much worse everywhere else. I’d prefer to see Dickerson…the Yankees just don’t like him though. Who knows…could be upper management doesn’t want him on the big stage because of his outspoken environmentalism. Kubel is seen more as a DH though.

• FIPster Doofus says:

“could be upper management doesn’t want him on the big stage because of his outspoken environmentalism”

Or that’s a ridiculous theory. How about he just isn’t good enough?

• Travis L. says:

Serious question…could Dickerson’s ability to play the field (coupled with more speed) be of greater need to the Yankees than Kubel’s power? How is Kubel’s fielding ability?

• Herby says:

how can you tell…they never give him a chance…there has to be some reason…it the time he’s gotten to play he’s shown he certainly has the tools to be given the opportunity, I’m not the only one to wonder why he hasn’t been given more playing time. I just threw that out there as a possible cause…sometimes teams don’t want a marginal player that is going to turn off a large segment of their fan base, especially the ones who are buying seats in the New Yankee Stadium

• FIPster Doofus says:

They never give him a chance because they don’t think he’s good enough. It’s pretty obvious. Besides, I don’t think “a large segment of the fan base” knows anything about Chris Dickerson or his off-field lifestyle. If they did, so what? He’s not exactly clubbing seals and fighting dogs.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Dickerson cleared wavers twice (I think) last year and the year before that he got traded for Sergio Mitre. There’s a reason he’s going into his age 31 season with 599 MLB plate appearances under his belt. He’s just not that good.

• Herby says:

599 plate appearances in what sort of consistency…it makes a big difference…never really got a chance with the Yankees to play on a everyday or near everyday opportunity…playing a day here, or there, or one AB here or there is not a way to establish yourself as a player…it’s just not going to happen. Will he be great, perhaps not…but he’d probably be better than some of the alternatives they’ve talked about.

18. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

$9 million per over 3 years for a 32 year old Right handed hitting corner outfielder who’s below league average against right handed pitching and doesn’t give you much in the field or on the bases?

Anyone who needed an example of inflation, here it is.

19. RetroRob says:

Happy every time one of these players drop off the board and he does not end up on the Yankees. Mediocre free agent market. Stay away.

20. You should have shot Arod says:

Our line up against lefties looks like dog shit
    Better fine some big RH bats soon.

21. MannyGeee says:

I like Cody Ross on a one year deal. With enough bourbon, I coulda been talked in to a low AAV deal for Ross on two seasons. But 3 FUCKING YEARS? I thought Kevin Towers was doing it right… Ha.