Dec

Cashman: No plans to continue upgrading rotation

Via Christian Red: Brian Cashman said the team has no plans to further upgrade the rotation after re-signing Andy Pettitte and Hiroki Kuroda. The Yankees are six starters deep (depending on your opinion of David Phelps) and tentatively have Michael Pineda scheduled to return at midseason.

I want the Yankees to pursue a veteran starter (preferably Shaun Marcum) on a one-year contract to deepen the rotation and free up Nova or Phelps for use as trade bait, but that’s not very realistic. In a market where Francisco Liriano and Brandon McCarthy are getting two guaranteed years, finding a decent veteran on a one-year pact is next to impossible. A few weeks ago Joel Sherman said the Yankees are expected to bottom-feed for a depth arm in January and February, which is no surprise.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Blake says:

Assuming they don’t trade a starter….the pitching is fine.

They need a bat….trade for Morse

2. Midnight Rider says:

yankees have become the red haired step child than nobody wants in the family photos

3. Andy in Sunny Daytona says:

With the Yankees poised to lose 3/5 of the rotation in 2014, the last thing the Yankees should be doing is trading starting pitchers.

• Yogiism says:

I don’t think Nova or Phelps are really “strong” contenders looking forward to 2014. They are certainly passable as #5′s, Phelps possibly a solid #4 and maybe the kid will shock you and become a #3 in a few rotations, but these are very expendable parts. If they can bring something of value in return, then these two are perfect trade chips. But point taken. They Yanks need to have a game plan going into 2014 concerning the rotation. With the extra year to Ichiro and a likely contract offer to Cano, they’ll need to save dollars somewhere and that’s likely going to be pitching. Michael Pineda is really the wild card here. I’ll be interested to see what they do with Banuelos. He should be starting his rehab program fall of next year so there is a slim chance, provided he is healthy, he could still be a factor in 2014. More likely; mid 2014. I’m also very interested to see what Hughes does this season. It is a contract year. He’s gotten much better/consistent. I don’t think he would cost a hell of a lot. Perhaps 3 years and $27mm-$33mm.
      You also have wild cards like De Paula who could really stand out this season in the minors.

• Laz says:

less than a year ago people were saying Nova was the Yankees #2. His trade value has fallen quite a bit, and I’d like to keep him around. Money is going to be short, and in a world where Blanton, Liriano, and Saunders are getting $7M+ aav if you can even get 2 decent backend starters and don’t have to worry about that you are in so much better shape. Nova and Phelps may not have the highest ceilings, but can fill out the back end of the rotation decently in 2013 and beyond.

Can never have enough pitching, I guarantee that even if you get Marcum, you will still probably see Nova and Phelps both starting several times.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

The people saying that Nova was the Yankees’ No. 2 also think that pitcher wins are the most important statistic.

• ClusterDuck says:

Nova for a while was our #2 starter. But Nova’s 5 ERA shows that he did have problems last year although I wonder how much of that was related to his injury.

I would also add that while the number of wins isn’t the most important statistic, I still think it’s important. Good pitchers pitch differently when they have leads. If a pitcher such as Nova is getting a lot of run support, then such a pitcher would pitch differently when pitching with that large lead.

Anyway, all this talk about trading Hughes/Nova/Phelps I don’t think is a good idea. They are young. They have had some success. Keep them.

4. Jacob says:

This is where I share with the media, they always look at the worst that could happen and I think you have to do that when it comes to pitching, because you can never have enough pitching!

5. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

CC
    Kuroda
    Pettitte
    Hughes
    Nova
    Phelps

with Pineda coming back midseason is the best rotation I can remember this team having since the dynasty days.
    I’m all for giving a veteran a 1 year flyer but who is going to want to pitch in the AL east in Yankee Stadium on an already full rotation when they are trying to recoup their value? No one worth a damn.

6. Yogiism says:

Overall, I am very surprised Marcum hasn’t garnered much attention this offseason. This is a guy who had decent results while on the Jays. I wonder if there is something that teams don’t like about his medical history. I would have thought that he would have at least received a solid 2 year offer by now. I agree, however, with Mike Axisa on this one. Provided there isn’t anything massively alarming about this medical report, this is exactly the type of pitcher I’d love to have on a 1 year deal. MUCH rather have him slotted as #5 in the rotation over Nova or Phelps. That would be a really nice rotation with CC, Kuroda, Pettitte, Hughes and Marcum and Phelps for depth.

• Laz says:

He missed a lot of time and had several rough outtings when he came back. Even with his injury history, I would much rather have him than Blanton.

7. Fin says:

Yes trade Phelps for 1 year of a similar pitcher, this way next year, you have a whole staff to rebuild and an entire every day lineup. Lets get Marcum, hes older than Phelps. Even, if we assume hes better, how much? and is he better than NOva? By all means, lets get more older players on one year deals. How much are you going to get for Phelps anyway? Trading Phelps makes no sense, unless the Yankees think he cant start for them, which the bar seems to be pretty low for 14. I dont understand your perspective on this at all Mike. Have to give me what the Yankees will get by trading Phelps and signing Marcum.

• jjyank says:

Signing Marcum doesn’t mean Phelps has to be traded. They can sign Marcum and use Phelps as a swingman or depth in AAA.

• Jacob says:

Fuck that piece of sky hit me.

• Neil says:

Agree with you. Phelps is a solid swing guy who just does his job. No moaning or groaning or talking about how well he pitched in an outing when he didn’t pitch that well (Read Nova here). I always liked Nova’s stuff but where did it go. With Nova I would be tempted to trade him if he had a couple of good outings in a row (if he makes the rotation).

8. Rick says:

Pitching aside. Anyone have interest in Hafner in the DH spot? Or is the lack of ability to play defense the deal breaker?

9. Dicka24 says:

I don’t think the Yankees want to trade either Nova or Phelps, cuz of their rotation, and payroll situation in 2014. If they want to stay under $189 million in payroll, they’ll probably have to do so with a couple of entry level salaried starting pitchers. Plus, Pettitte, Kuroda, and Hughes are all FA’s next season, so even if salary weren’t an issue, they’ll need those two young arms as insurance at least. Obviously all that can change with an acquisition or extension during the season, which aren’t likely.

I think the Yankees make mistakes with their younger players too often. They should trade some of their chips when their value is highest. The time to trade Nova was last offseason. For Phelps its this season. I get why they don’t want to trade young pitching. Just look at what marginal to mediocre pitchers are getting on the open market. $10 million per for garbage in some cases, and $10-15 million per for guys like Edwin Jackson, Anibal Sanchez, and Ryan Dempster. If either Nova or Phelps can pitch to the tune of a 4-4.5 ERA, over 20-30 starts, they’re worth a ton of payroll savings for years to come. What I’m surprised at, is the non play for a Jeremy bonderman or Scott Kazmir. Both of whom seem to be healthy, or healthier than in recent years, and each of which just signed minor league deals with crap teams. Why not make a play for one of those two? Worse case it’s money lost this year.

I think Nova could bounce back this year. What has me a little optimistic is his K rate this past season. While he got clobered, he seemed to be K’ing more guys than he had in the past. I wonder if 2012 was some kind of growing pain, sophmore slump type deal. I hope at least. He has good enough stuff to be a middle, to end of the rotation arm i think. Something that costs 10 figures these days.

• The Moral Majority is Neither says:

I don’t trust the Yankees to determine who to keep or who to trade or when someone’s value is ‘highest’. I’d rather they keep Nova and Phelps to see what they have for 2014.

10. Jacob says:

The only pitcher I would be slightly okay with them trading is Warren, and that is iffy for me also just because they need the depth and he still has some upside.

• Laz says:

Warren’s upside is as a backend starter. If they can get something decent for him I wouldn’t mind a trade. Not worth just letting go though, it’s good to have a depth player like him.

11. CS Yankee says:

Pitching is not a concern this year and unlikely to be next year as well. They have six starters, solid middle-relief and an excellent end game. Add in that Pineda and ManBan could both be starters in 2014 and that its unlikely that they lose both Pettitte And Kuroda next off season.

They really need a C, RF and a power bat, plus will need to address 3/4 of the IF and 2/3 of the OF in 2014. Cashman has done well in the arms race, the power is going to drop big time and the age and range is a huge concern both short-term and long-term.

However, with the signings so far this offseason, nothing seems to be reasonable…Hamilton 5/125?…Zach at 147?…Except maybe Martin, he might have stayed for 2/14.

12. dan gen says:

bottom feed , frugal,189,…these are the words we hear today….certainly not win at all costs

• The Moral Majority is Neither says:

‘Win at all costs’ became a sad and desperate strategy, ending up with unlikeable players on overpaid contracts.

With the way the game has changed (revenue sharing, young stars extended, punitive taxing) trying the mid-2000s model will accomplish that same thing but faster (i.e. the Max Power way).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

13. Yankees Insider says:

We should trade Hughes. Maybe even go sign Dallis Braden to a multiyear minor league contract and he can be our 2nd LHP starter for 2014 with Pettitte gone. Or make a trade for drew Smyly But by trading Hughes and GRANDY this offseason it would free up rotation spots for Nova, phelps, and Pineda when he comes back and some payroll.

• YanksFanInBeantown says:

Why would you trade Hughes to free up rotations spots for a wild card and two pitchers that are pretty much the same age as he is and are worse?

And why would trading Grandy make any sense either? They don’t need to free up payroll for 2013, and unless he brings back The Justin Upton, trading him makes the Yankees a worse baseball team.

14. thunder rd runner says:

no plans period

15. Sterling says:

Cashman is sitting around with his finger up Hal’s ass. That’s baseball, Suzyn.

16. ClusterDuck says:

Marcum is a nice pitcher but I wouldn’t want to free up Nova or Phelps to trade them. Nova and Phelps are both young and Nova in particular has had some success.

17. jruizpr says:

Pitching is fine, Nova will be as he was in 2011, don’t need to trade any pitchers. Next year Pineda, Banuelos, Campos, Warren, will be on the team and they will be successful. I think some position players can make the jump from AA to majors as well.

18. smurfy says:

Mike Axisa, why would you want to trade our “unobtainium,” young pitching like David Phelps or Ivan Nova?