Dec

Open Thread: Day Three from Nashville

Well, today was kind of an odd day. We woke up to the reports of the Yankees having interest, possibly substantial interest, in both Jeff Keppinger and Eric Chavez, but by the afternoon they had both signed with other teams. The Rule 5 Draft tomorrow morning is the unofficial end of the Winter Meetings as team executives tend to flee the scene before noon, so time is running out to get something done here. This stuff can obviously change in a heartbeat, but it’s looking more and more likely that the Yankees will depart Nashville having lost a player (Alex Rodriguez to injury) without any additions to compensate.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The Knicks are playing tonight and that’s pretty much it, so talk about whatever you like here. Go nuts.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Jersey Joe says:

Is Juan Francisco a possibility? Braves need an OF, we need a 3B, Francisco could a temporary fix who offers more power than Hannahan. He can also play OF in a pinch; maybe we just send them Dickerson and/or Mesa. Not only would this solve 3B problem, but Braves would no longer need Schierholtz, who we do need.

2. The Real Greg says:

Hearing that Barry Alvarez will coach Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl.
    Weird and yet awesome in a way

3. jjyank says:

Just gonna throw this out there: I’ve mentioned before that I was getting/have gotten Halo 4. Any other posters that play interested in teaming up for some games at some point? The two people I play with usually ( my brother and best friend) are both busy with finals, undergrad and law school, respectively. Looking for some people to play with.

4. Jeff says:

I didn’t think anything could be more painful than to watch last season’s enemic Yankee offense but this off season is right up there.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Because the season starts a day after the meetings right?

• Havok9120 says:

Please be referring solely to the post-season. If you’re not, then it would appear that the revision of last season has proceeded farther and faster than I imagined possible.

I mean, c’mon….anemic? Really?

• jjyank says:

You do realize that the offseason doesn’t end tomorrow, right?

• TomH says:

Of course he realizes that. Why do people persist in this poor excuse for irony (“You do realize…”). My substitution, for your reading of his remarks is as follows, below.

He probably assumes that there is some evidence of rats deserting the sinking ship (e.g., Chavez, Martin), as they realize the Yankees’ fabled Money Tree is suffering from HalBlight.

He probably realizes too that the farm system is a basket case and reduces Cashman’s options for a dynamite, season-saving trade.

He recognizes that with some 70 HRs taken off the top (Swisher [if he goes], Martin, half of ARod’s), the problematical Yankee offense of 2012 is not looking any better for 2013 and may be a lot worse.

Perhaps he realizes, too, that the team is just damned old. OLD. You know: slowing down. Ready for assisted living.

Related to the latter, maybe he realizes that when fans wet themselves with excitement over the return of two 40+ pitchers, there is reason for anxiety.

And, of course, he may assume that these problems are so many that they can’t be fixed before the start of the season without having Cashman also being permitted to spend lots of money, in the High Yankee Way.

This team has not made so many post-season so regularly by counting pennies. That they are doing so right now, with so many holes in the lineup is a sign that they are playing by rules they have sneered at for nearly 20 years.

• Yogiism says:

Please tell me 1 player that has traded hands or been signed, especially considering the ludicrous cost, that would have 1) made an impact 2) been someone you want to root for?

I’ll pick first: Tori Hunter and that’s still questionable in my mind.

I leave you now to choose from the rest based on the “If Cashman comes away from these meetings without filling any off the holes they have right now, next season will be even tougher to watch.” type of mindset.

It ain’t over yet, man..

• jjyank says:

I’d say Martin, but I’m not too broken up about it. I agree with your sentiment though.

• Yogiism says:

Martin agreed.

I’d respond to your comments more often, but they make sense. I rather go after the others..

• jjyank says:

Ha fair enough. Are you a new poster? Can’t say I’ve really seen you around before, but the added optimism is definitely appreciated after the last few days.

• Yogiism says:

No. I’ve been around a while. Going through one of my random name changes. I needed a new name for my YES account and I’m sticking to this one for a while.

Aka:
              Ro
              Rafael Soriano
              MC10
              and others..

• Preston says:

Agreed, going into the off-season the only C option I liked was Martin and the only everyday OFers I liked were Swisher, Hunter and Cabrera. Hunter was slightly overpaid, and for that AAV I’d rather sign Swisher for slightly more per year on a longer deal. Melky’s contract could be a steal, but there is a lot of baggage, so I get why they didn’t go there. The Martin deal to me seems right both on years and dollars, so I wish they’d done it, but it isn’t the biggest loss. Every other player that has signed

• Yogiism says:

Agreed on Melky. Unfortunately, the baggage would likely have done more damage than helped, despite the obvious upside. That was one the Yanks just couldn’t get on board for. The Jays made a good move, but we really need to see how he plays this year. He could bat .261 with 11 homers going into June/July and then what? It’s better the Yanks stayed away since the media would have a field day should he not produce. The Jays and Melky are actually a perfect match and I say that nicely.

• Preston says:

I truly think Melky didn’t consider a lot of teams. He signed with the Blue Jays with almost no rumors surrounding him. He will be fairly insulated from all of the steroid drama in the great north, and I think that was a draw for him.

• MannyGeee says:

Or… he took the first deal that came along, knowing that ANY questions asked about his ability to perform sans PEDs would absolutely affect his earning potential.

I think if the Yankees (or Mets, or Giants, or Nippon Ham Fighters) woulda come to him with a ‘prove yourself’ contract for 1/$5M before Toronto did, thats where he woulda signed.

5. Jw says:

ALL I can say is that this postseason and Off season has been the most embarassing time in the Yankees history since the early 80s!! Our Competition is only getting Stronger and Stronger while we set on our hands doing Nothing!! Wow!!

• Get Phelps Up says:

awkwardly Placed Capitol letters!!

• Elton Cod says:

I agree. These Steinbrenner kids are an insult to the franchise. They have the most famous sports franchise in the history of the world in the most famous city in the world. Merchandise sales alone are probably enough to feed all of Africa. Then consider the TV deal, ticket revenue, etc. They make enough fucking money. But all it is is “luxury tax waah waah waah waah”. The Steinbrenners are cheap bastards _and_ they signed some dumbass contracts 4-5 years ago, so now the team and the fans have to pay. Fuck the Steinbrenners. Urinating on Babe Ruth’s grave would be classier than what they have done to the team.

• TomH says:

Every minute I stay in this [Winter Meetings]room, I get weaker. And every minute Charlie squats in the bush…he gets stronger.

• steve (different one) says:

yeah….no. remember 2004?

or you know, 1989-1992….

when the owner of the team was suspended from baseball? when they finished in last place?

get a grip dude. it’ll be ok. God forbid the Yankees only win 88-90 games for a year or two.

6. phil says:

Simple solutions ..put Nunez at 3rd; sign Piezynski to catch, Ichrio play Right and ibanez and a right handed hitter to platoon and the lineup looks like this:

Jeter ss
    Ichrio RF
    Cano 2nd
    Tex 1st
    Grandy LF
    Ibanez/??? DH
    Piezynski C
    Nunez 3rd
    Gardner CF

• Yogiism says:

Not happening.

Nunez has better range at SS.
      Pierzynski is not the right player for the Yanks

Ichiro yes, but they should augment their lineup with a RH bat before they move on Ichiro. I want them to resign Ichiro, but for the time being, he is redundant with Gardner and I’d rather the younger version. Ibanez solves nothing, frankly. I’d like to see him back in pinstripes, but he is a finishing piece, not someone you grab now and build around. Much can change in a week. I imagine Ibanez will seek more than the $1mm deal he signed last season. Probably $3m-$5m for year and if that were the case, the Yanks are being prudent by waiting it out.

7. Drew says:

Its frustrating to watch the Yankees inactivity to say the least. I have echoed on it in some of the other threads today, but I think its a shame that they are bottom feeding like that and letting impact players walk to other teams bc of a self imposed budget. I am not saying Sign Hamilton or Grienke but just sitting here and watching some players sign reasonable contracts and the Yankees do nothing just really sucks to watch.

• Yogiism says:

I stopped at impact. Which “impact” player has been signed or traded that we missed? Again, I’ll start first and name Tori Hunter, who I still am not sold on. We’re not internet shopping and there is no return policy. If by signing Scutaro to 3 years would have made you feel better, then I cannot support that.

• Drew says:

Russell Martin had a huge impact on the Yankee pitching staff last year. Chavez had a very real impact on the team filling in for Alex. Impact =/= superstar.

• Jacob says:

Excuse me as I cry, those two were surely the best players on our team.

• Drew says:

I never said that. I just explained my definition of an impact player, both whom are not with the ball club. Nothing false about that statement. I am not saying the Yankees are doomed either, just venting my frustrations by the Yankee non moves thus far

No reason to make a moronic dickish comment for no reason, there are plenty of idiots on this site, unless, of course you are one of them.

• Yogiism says:

Well, I could make the argument that Stewart had more of an “impact” on the Yank staff if you’re looking at it from a game calling/defensive only standpoint. The Yankee pitcher’s numbers were very good with him behind the plate. Look, I am not saying the Yanks were justified with letting Martin walk as easily as he did and the Chavez thing probably happened sooner than they expected, but Chavez is one misstep away from sitting on the DL for 60 days. I don’t see how that is useful at this point. He again, is a guy that if he is around on Jan 15th, you sign him up. Having him tie up a roster spot on Dec 5th, when there is much that can happen yet, would be a bad move for the Yanks.

• Cuso says:

Drew was concise and you jumped all over him because you misinterpreted his comment.

Stop last-wording him….it makes you start arguing that Chris Stewart is an impact player

8. Jersey Joe says:

Here’s the plan:

-Trade Dickerson for Juan Francisco (MLBTR says Braves are shopping him, need an OF)
    -Sign Mark Reynolds
    -Sign Schierholtz (By giving similar playing to Braves/distracting them)
    -Sign Reed Johnson (Not the greatest OF, but he kills lefties, just as well as Hairston, probably cheaper)
    -Stick with Cervelli and Stewart
    -Keep Nix on roster or replace him with Bartlett/buy low candidate
    -Trade Granderson for Nelson Cruz (Optional, but both are FA’s at end of year. Without Hamilton, Rangers need lefty power, Yankees need righty power. Maybe toss in some cash and maybe Petey O’Brien)

Opening Day:
    1. Gardner CF
    2. Jeter DH (for ankle)
    3. Cano 2B
    4. Teixeira 1B
    5. Cruz LF
    6. Schierholtz RF
    7. Reynolds 3B
    8. Cervelli C
    9. Nix SS

-Francisco 3B (Plays third against tough righties, moving Reynolds to DH, Jeter to SS)
    -Stewart C
    -Johnson OF (platooning with Nate and maybe Gardner)
    -Bartlett/Nunez/buy-low until ARod returns.

When ARod returns, hopefully Romine is ready:

C-Romine
    1B-Tex
    2B-Cano
    3B-ARod
    SS-Jeter
    LF-Cruz
    CF-Gardner
    RF-Schierholtz
    DH-Reynolds

C-Stewart/Cervelli
    IF-Nix
    CI/OF-Francisco
    RH OF-Johnson

PROBLEMO SOLVED. without Youkilis of course.

• Yogiism says:

Strangely, I disagree with all of this. Romine should be and hopefully will be given the opportunity opening day to be the back-up or even starter, but I think like Girardi said yesterday, he is going to split a lot of time btw catchers this season and I like it. Catcher is a brutal position and naming someone “starter” for that position specifically, really doesn’t work as well as it used too.

9. Get Phelps Up says:

I really hope the Yankees sign Mark Reynolds.

10. Tim says:

I have never seen this kind of offseason ever since George Steinbrenner took over the Yankees. This is absolute insanity, pure insanity. Don’t get it, will never understand it. It’s a slap in the face of the fans who pay the highest ticket prices in MLB. Absolute disgrace!!!!

• Jacob says:

Yes it is! Why in the world will cashman not spend a lots of money on utility type players or players we don’t need? Cash you are terrible! UGHHHH

• Jersey Joe says:

It’s not pure insanity, it’s just bad signings piling up on us that we have to live with.

We’re paying Feliciano 250K, who we really didn’t need anyway.
      We’re paying $8.5 mil to Burnett.
      Tex is waaay overpaid
      CC’s contract loses value by the minute.

And ARod. Yeeaaa…we’re not getting under $189 Mil.

• Yogiism says:

See here is the thing I don’t understand about the “bad contract” thought process. Feliciano (didn’t even realize the Yanks owed him a few dollars) and Burnett are 2013 costs and mainly irrelevant. They could spend $250mm this coming season if they wanted to, but it’s prudent not too.

Teixeria might be making a little much, but maybe 20% (25% at best) above market. So call it $15m instead of $21m. And again, we need to ask at $15m who fills that position better than Tex at this given moment? NO ONE. Tex is arguably a top 3 defensive 1st baseball in the entire league. He has 4 years remaining on his deal. Napoli is being paid $39mm over the next 3 years. You choose. Perspective folks.

CC’s value continues to increase by the minute, so no idea what you’re talking about. We can revisit this topic in 2015.

And thanks for the obligatory Arod is the reason this team is doomed comment. It ain’t that bad, folks.

11. mustang says:

Justin Upton is still with the Diamondbacks and Asdrubal Cabrera is still with the Indians. No MAJOR C, OF or 3rd have move and no pitchers and catchers don’t report tomorrow.

Hit the gym and a nice dinner with the family and Mr. Optimistic is back strong baby.

GO GET THEM CASH!!!!!!

Cubs To Sign Kyuji Fujikawa
      Brewers Acquire Burke Badenhop
      Athletics Acquire Chris Resop
      Astros Claim Phil Humber
      Angels, Braves Swap Hanson, Walden
      Pirates Sign Russell Martin

Do any of these really and truly break your heart?

• Jacob says:

+1 for not trolling

12. paul a says:

Fox sports reports Yanks are considering Jack Hanahan. Really ? come on now, are we that desperate.

13. OldYanksFan says:

Cashman is in a VERY tight spot. He is shopping carefully, and the better deals will be after the New Year.

The Yankees aren’t going after any prime FAs, so there is no need to ‘act fast’. Any impact players will come via trade, and that will happen late, when teams know better where they stand.

14. paul a says:

my mistake i meant JOHN Hannahan, like it really matters

15. Reggie C. says:

Yanks get Martin Prado.
    Braves receive Brett Gardner and Slade Heathcott.

Sign M.Bourn to a 5 yr/$75.50 million deal.
    Sign Schierholtz.
    Let Swisher walk.

Next season, let Granderson walk and move Prado back to a corner spot. Arod should hopefully be healthy enough to continue to play 3B at least half the time. Arod is hip to new treatments so the man may recover fast.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I’d rather give that Bourn money to Swisher.

• Preston says:

Seriously, why do people hate Nick Swisher? I’d also rather keep Gardner than get Prado, he’s just as good, if not better (I get that positional flexibility is the appeal) and under team control for an extra year. I’d definitely rather have Gardner than Bourne.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

Braves need Prado for 3B, and just signed Upton for CF, so would be less interested in CF back.
      Doesn’t seem like a good fit.
      I think Bourn for 5/75 would be a bad idea as well.

16. Yogiism says:

Blanton just got $15mm over two years. Someone remind me, what comes after ludicrous?

I was thinking more like 1 year and $4mm.

17. AC says:

We’re not getting Bourn. We don’t have that $ right now. Or else we might as well give Hamilton 5 yrs and get him easily.

Yanks met with Mark Reynolds’ agent today at the Winter Meetings. Makes sense. Not sure if it’s anything more than kicking the tires.

18. AC says:

Reynolds apparently looking for similar deal as last…1 yr./$7.5 mil. Give him two at like $12 and this is over. However, we want one-year deals right now.

19. Pat D says:

Citizens of Gotham…reclaim your city!!

20. Jacob says:

Random thought: Top five best yankees of all time? For me: 1.Gehrig 2.Ruth 3.Joe D 4. Mantle 5. Whitey

• Pat D says:

Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, Jeter.

• Need Pitching & Hitting says:

5) Andy Stankiewicz
      4) Edwar Ramirez
      3) Clay Bellinger
      2) Cody Ransom
      1) Alvaro Espinoza

• Yogiism says:

Arod
      Arod
      Arod
      Arod
      Sean Henn

• Preston says:

Ruth and Gehrig are interchangeable, I could argue either way depending how I feel at the moment. Same with Dimaggio/Mantle, although personally I’ve always liked Mickey better. Which is only because my father can talk about watching him play, so I grew up idolizing him. Jeter for me would be fifth, but if it’s not him it’s Yogi. Whitey Ford is great, but is he even a top 50 pitcher all time? Ruth is either THE or at the least one of the best players ever. Gehrig is the best 1st baseman ever. Mantle and Dimaggio are both top 5 in CF. Jeter, depending on how you feel about defense and WAR is either top 5 or top 10 at SS, and Yogi is also top 5 at C. They are just in different leagues than Ford.

21. I’m still curious to why people don’t think Pierzynski fits the Yanks (if on a 1yr deal)?

So what, he’s an asshole…if they win, why the hell does it matter?

• The Real Greg says:

He actually threw out 26% of base stealers last year which is about league average. So his defense is ok.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

I would venture to guess a lot of professional athletes are assholes (a lot of people are assholes, so why wouldn’t athletes have their share?), but from everything I’ve read about AJ, he re-defines the term.

No thanks.

• why? as a fan, why does an play who’s an asshole bother you?

• Betty Lizard says:

Because I value sportsmanship as well as sport. Because watching someone be an asshole is not fun (isn’t there enough of that in real life?) Because I enjoy watching the members of my team behave like professionals, and be good role models, and be team players and give back and . . . I value all those things as a fan.

• jjyank says:

This, and the whole clubhouse chemistry thing. It is overstated many times, but I do think it is still important.

• so are you not a fan of ARod and Pettitte? They are admitted cheaters.

• jjyank says:

Pettitte and A-Rod are both good teammates. They both owned up to their mistake. Forgiveness is a different subject. AJ is just a prick who has consistently been voted as one of the least liked players in the MLB. Plus he’s 36, had the best year of his career since 2003 (!) and has a ton of miles on those legs. No thanks.

• Alkaline says:

With AJ, it’s more of the clubhouse thing. Morale certainly does play a role, even if it is overstated at times. Anecdotally, I still play competitive ball and when we have a team that gets along and is on the same page, we definitely perform at a higher level across the board. There was some dissent this past summer and it wore down on me.

• Betty Lizard says:

But you didn’t ask about PEDs, did you?
              You asked why a fan would care if a player’s an asshole.
              Andy Pettitte and Alex Rodriguez are not assholes. They are great players, great teammates, and yes, great representatives.
              I admire them both.
              As for their drug use, their admitting to it wiped the slate clean for me.
              (If there is a “national character” or an American mythos I believe that making a big mistake, confessing to that mistake, and, ultimately, remaking oneself and earning forgiveness is a big part of it. We are a nation of second chances–if one has the courage to do so.)

• Ted Nelson says:

I wouldn’t be against it, but I’d love it if they found a better option via trade or something.

• Preston says:

I’m much more worried about the fact that he’s old, not considered good defensively and is likely to post below league average offense. The jerk factor usually doesn’t matter to me. But a catcher needs to get along with his staff, and even Chicago isn’t NYC, plus Ozzie was enough of a distraction to deflect the media attention away from anybody else for most of his time there. So maybe his big mouth, and the NY media would cause a problem. But the age, defense and lack of offense bothers me more. If we weren’t willing to give a fairly young, good defensive catcher, who provides similar (if not better offense) while being a model citizen 2/17, I wouldn’t give AJ more than 1/7.

22. Not George Steinbrenner says:

So apparently we’re at about $178 mil right now in obligations, but we still have to fill a bunch of spots. We want to be under $178 mil (same figure…coincidental that we’re at it right now) for the 2014 season. So basically, we can tack on a lot of money but it would have to be for next year only.

Off that $178 mil, we do have $8.5 coming off because that is paying the Pirates to have AJ Burnett be awesome for them. Deal expires after 2013. Assume we AP retires, Kuroda’s gone, Granderson’s deal is up…we’ll get under $189 mil. Y’all know what the beauty in that is? Our lux tax rate resets to 17.5% (then 22.5%, then 30% then 40%) until the current system expires in 2016. Instead of having to pay 50% each year until we get under $189 mil.

I am going to assume we offer Mark Reynolds the 1 yr./$7.5 mil deal unless we are that thoroughly disgusted by his defense.

• Rich Christie says:

Check yourself,
      Before you wreck yourself.

It’s $189MM for 2014,
      If you are actually counting them beans.

When you make such a silly post,
      Please remember that your math matters most.

• Ted Nelson says:

Read the post, you don’t seem to have understood it. Calling someone out and then being the one who looks like a fool… priceless.

• Not George Steinbrenner says:

Thank you, Ted. I did actually err. In the first paragraph…second sentence…it’s supposed to be $189 million. I later allude to $189 million as the correct limit for 2014. The second paragraph…the stuff that actually matters, is correct.

Basically we need to offer Reynolds 1 yr/$8 mil immediately and be done with it. He knows with our park and the protection he’ll get in the lineup, he’ll mash and get a multi-year deal in the offseason.

23. Rich Christie says:

Well it sure seems Cashman has gotten outmaneuvered again at the Winter Meetings. He will try to appease the fans by making a trade in the next month or two. Likely for an injured player, and giving up a future team-controlled star.

24. Not George Steinbrenner says:

Yankees have made an offer to Schierholtz according to Joel Sherman of the NY Post.

25. mustang says:

“There’s a “strong belief” by people close to the situation that Greinke could beat Sabathia’s $161MM contract, according to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.”

Does this not tell you everything you need to know about this off-season?

I’m sure there has been worse, but this off-season is really bad as far as bang for the buck.

• Ted Nelson says:

You realize Greinke has more fWAR in the past 5 years than Felix and is right behind CC in 5th place in MLB, right? He is the definition of an ace in his prime.

While Yankees fans hate him, the dude is a beast. If Felix were to hit FA in 3 years, no one would be surprised for him to get a record deal. It’s just a perception thing.

26. Karloff says:

I’ve got no problem with them going into the season with some minor moves and using players from the minor leagues to fill in. Doesn’t anyone remember the 80′s and early 90′s Yankees. I really don’t care about the 189m budget for 2014.

27. Ethan says:

I am so incredibly envious of all of you that aren’t writing exams for school. I hate exam time. It’s simply the worst.

• Alkaline says:

Writing exams? As in creating them or taking them? Cause if you’re taking time I would love to go back in your shoes.

• jjyank says:

Nah man, I’d switch with you. My exams were mostly papers to write, and I loved it.

• Ethan says:

I have a mix of papers and written exams (quantitative ones). I hate writing papers haha. I just find it so incredibly dull. That’s probably why I’m going with my economics degree as opposed to my poli sci one.

28. Alkaline says:

I saw some things said earlier about how some people (sabermetrics crowd) gets a bit elitist and blasting other people’s opinions. I think it’s blasting more of the asinine opinions.

There is some discourse that goes on when both sides have some respectable opinions. To me, I at least see the sabermetrics provide meaningful statistics, etc. to back up their opinions. Using BA to solely judge a player without admitting the inherrent flaws with it doesn’t give your argument much ground.

Most of the opinion opposite of the saber group rely on their eyes, which studies have repeatedly shown can be deceiving (hindsight and confirmation bias, glamorizing the past, anecdotes, mistaking correlation for causation, illusory correlations).

Anyone can learn about those in a statistic or research class. Heck, I taught them to seniors in high school in psychology! When you form opinions without these in mind and not keeping an open mind while you spat out the same useless information over and over without acknowledging anything the other side is saying, how can you expect to be taken seriously?

• Preston says:

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

• Francesa says:

I feel honored by your presence Mr. Kaline. For years, you were the AL counterpart to the great Roberto Clemente. Please continue to contribute to our discussions on this blog.

29. Danny says:

Cubs signed Nate Schierholtz …. so there goes that plan.

30. pete from NH says:

We have to be patient. Cashman has to have a plan–this elite franchise can’t have its brand tarnished by fielding a crap team. I’m sure he wishes A-Rod and his hip and his contract would be hit by a meteor. but it is what it is. I am as surprised as many of you that they passed on martin-schierholtz-keppinger-chavez-haren and leave ibanez and ichiro swinging in the breeze. but its 115 days til opening day and the starting lineup will be improved by then.

btw on the top five Yankees every discussion. You may have it right at Ruth-Gehrig-mantle-Joe D-Jeter but if you had to win one game who would you want on the mound, someone from your lifetime? for me the top 5 are Gibson-Koufax-Ford-Jack Morris-Dave Stewart. Who are yours?

• Sly Robbie says:

‘If you had to win one game who would you want on the mound, someone from your lifetime? for me the top 5 are Gibson-Koufax-Ford-Jack Morris-Dave Stewart. Who are yours?”

The top 5 Yankees from my lifetime to start a must-win game are in this order: 1) Ron Guidry 2) Andy Pettitte 3) Catfish Hunter 4) Roger Clemens 5) C.C. Sabathia.

Top 5 pitchers from anywhere during my lifetime for a single must-win game: 1) Nolan Ryan 2) Bob Gibson 3) Steve Carlton 4) Tom Seaver 5) Jim Palmer or John Smoltz

Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez would rank #1 on both lists, but I suspect that I may be delusional, and that El Duque (and Luis Sojo) are figments of my imagination.

/R

• Preston says:

From your answers my life-time is shorter than your guys, so my answer is limited. I’m taking Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Pedro Martinez, Justin Verlander, CC Sabathia.

• pete from NH says:

I like your jim palmer suggestion. Your el dueque, not so much.

31. Nettles5E5 says:

To coin a phrase from Lombardi…..” What the hell is going on out there?”

32. MannyGeee says:

off topic. when in the hairy fuck did Madden games get so hard? I was really REEEEEALLY good at those back in the day (lets say up to 2007), walked away for a while, played 2010 and still had some swag…

but I bought my kids Madden 13, and I am getting wholloped every time I play. basic game play is identical, but apparantly tha gemae has passed me by…

/oldguyrant

33. NYCSPORTZFAN says:

I would of been really happy with keppinger and AJ and calling it a offseason..

Whats the deal with Delymon Young? If he stays on market for 2 long, could he take a 1yr deal, and try again next yr? He would certainly be motivated for the season, and probably worth the signing..