Dec

Boras confirms no extension talks for Robinson Cano

Scott Boras took over the hotel lobby earlier this evening to discuss a number of topics with the media, and during the scrum he confirmed that he has not had any talks with the Yankees about a contract extension for Robinson Cano. That’s not terribly surprising, but it’s an update straight from the horse’s mouth. Given the market inflation we’ve seen so far this winter, it seems all but certain that Robbie will be able to fetch $200M+ on the open market next year.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. JoeyA says:

I don’t even have words for this. Extend the guy before he has another year in his prime!

This team cannot afford another $200M+ contract, especially for a 2B whose missed like 5 games the last 3 years.

2. DON’T WANT (at 200+ million or 7+ years).

Have fun in LA Robbie.

3. Karloff says:

Do you really think with Boras as his agent, Cano is even interested in an extension ?

4. Hitman 23 says:

Let him walk if that’s the kind of money he is looking for.

5. Ted Nelson says:

Again, what evidence do you have of any abnormal inflation.

Keppinger is not an example. Dude is getting $4 mill per to start. If you really don’t understand why he made more as a FA than he did when cost controlled, it’s time to turn over the blog.

Pagan and Victorino are top 10 CFs.

To prove inflation you have to actually compare these salaries to similar players in previous years. You have done that exactly zero times that I’ve seen. Why not? Because the results would probably not do much to confirm your point. I’m sure that the general trend over the years is up, but I don’t see any crazy departure from years past this offseason. Just pointing to every FA who signs a contract and saying your expectations were lower does nothing to prove inflation.

• Ted Nelson says:

Look at the deal Beurhle signed last season and tell me that this off-season is a radical departure from last.

Look at the deals guys like Werth, Crawford, A-Rod, CC, heck Denny Neagle and Mike Hampton signed. I would bet the inflation is much more gradual than you are hysterically letting on.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

” If you really don’t understand why he made more as a FA than he did when cost controlled, it’s time to turn over the blog.”

No one could ever say that you’re not a charmer. You must clean up with the ladies.

• RetroRob says:

What evidence?

You’re great, Ted, really I like you, but you’re bat shit on this. The market right now is insane.

• vicki says:

who is ‘you?’ who the hell is this kid talking to?

6. Instead of letting him walk, why not read the writing on the wall and get value for him?

Include him in some 3 way deal that lands you Asdrubal Cabrera (and more?) and he can play 2nd and fill in quite nicely.

• Laz says:

I’d rather if they trade him, then get prospects. They aren’t moving Jeter off shortstop, and Nunez could do really good at 2B with the short throw. Cabrera wouldn’t be that good offensively at 3B, he would just be a luxury.

7. Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

I would also like to know what basis you have for thinking that Cano can fetch a $200M contract as a second baseman at age 31.5?

I don’t think any team is going to give him that. And even $150M will be a huge stretch unless the Dodgers go there.

• vicki says:

guy, it’s his AGENT saying this during winter meetings.

and nick swisher wants jason werth money.

words.

just words.

8. Andy Pettitte's Fibula says:

I can’t see Cano getting more than 6/$150 and for a 2B on the wrong side of 30, that might be more than I’d offer.

If the Yankees aren’t going all in on Cano , better to trade him now when you can recoup something more than a stinking sandwich round draft pick.

9. Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

For me, the threshold for Cano would be 6/$120M. In fact, I’d approach him about that now and if he wasn’t inclined to do so, I’d begin seriously looking to trade him and sign Hamilton to a 5/$120-125M. Rumors are that no one is going over 4 years on Hamilton.

• Ethan says:

Seriously? You’d take Hamilton for 5 years and same money over Cano for 6?

I’d give Cano 7 years and $180M before I gave Hamilton 5 at 120. Hell I’d probably even give Cano 8 at 200.

• Hardcore Yankee Fan says:

Second baseman don’t have a great track record passed around 32-33 years old. They not only decline, but decline rapidly and significantly. You can gamble that Cano would be the exception but I wouldn’t take that chance. Outfielders have a better track record and Hamilton is a better offensive player, though he certainly has risks associated with him. What’s more, the Yanks don’t have many near term options for the outfield.

If David Adams stays healthy, he would project probably a .750-.800 OPS with slightly lesser defense being conservative. For the estimated .070-.100 OPS difference (and only for the next couple of years for Cano probably), I would happily take my chances with Adams for a measly $500K salary than to give Cano $23M until he’s 40 years old as you suggest.

10. Mick taylor says:

Trade cano he is not worth 200 million at his age. Sign Hamilton for half the price and better hitting . Hamilton plus a prospect but the yanks are too cheap and dumb to do it

11. dan gen says:

I GOT IT TRADE CANO….adams at second, nunez at third,romine behind the plate,mesa in right…..please sign me up for season tickets in the legends

12. George says:

So far we’ve heard Cano/Boras talk about up to 10 years at “top of the market” money. If the Yankees go for that, we can recycle many of the articles about A-Rod in decline and just sub R-Can.
    With that type of contract for Cano, we will need to have Nunez play Left-Third-Stop (left field plus third plus short)to keep under the payroll. Of course that might cut down on errors as covering the entire left side by himself – if he can’t get to it, it’s not an error.
    We could sign Youk for 3rd, but then Joba would have to pitch batting practice to hit him.
    Basically I feel that the Yankees should simply claim we are re-building and stop trying to find old guys willing to do 1 year and re-build next year. Just do it or stop talking about it.

13. Mick taylor says:

Trade cano he is not worth 180 to 200 million he will want at his ageyou could get a good player for him . Then sign hamilton for half of what you would pay cano. He is a better hitter and the yanks would not be stuck with him in his declining years as they would withcano. If possible, trade for Michael young. 2013 lineup: jeter young Tex Hamilton granderson Nunez Stewart gardner

14. vicki says:

anyone who says “sign hamilton” is off the artistic roll call, forever.

15. VaYankeeFan says:

This is plainly not the Yankees of old, things have changed. I see no “mega” deal in the near future. Trading Cano maybe the way to go. With Jeter & Arod; one is one the mend & the other is facing another surgery, who knows where this will end. It appears to me FA are shying away from the Yankees or the Yankees are not really trying to sign them, plainly don’t know. Albeit our pitching is old, but still have to be the up-side of the Yankees right now. Maybe the Yankees are looking at a 3-5 year down-side and then make a run again? All MLB teams go thru this, are the Yankees the exception any longer?