Jan

Cashman: A-Rod could miss entire 2013 season

This isn’t all that surprising, but during a recent radio interview Brian Cashman said it’s possible Alex Rodriguez won’t play at all this coming season due to his left hip surgery. “Yeah, I think because (of) the serious nature of the surgery and the condition that he’s trying to recover from, you know, there is that chance,” said the GM. A-Rod had his surgery last week and is expected to be out until the All-Star break, so of course there’s a chance he could miss the entire season. He could have a setback(s), rehab could take longer than expected, all sorts of stuff could happen to delay his return. Cashman isn’t telling us anything we don’t know here.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Reggie44 says:

Finally good news no a-rod

2. Gonzo says:

This was always a possibility. I just cringe of the thought of seeing Youkilis dripping sweat every time at bat. So sad.

3. Sam says:

Insurance $.

4. LK says:

Theoretically speaking, before the season starts I think everyone could miss the entire season.

• Gonzo says:

It almost happened in the NHL this year.

• LK says:

Plus bubonic plague could break out in Spring training. They’d end up with a downgrade everywhere but catcher.

• Gonzo says:

What if the zombie apocalypse takes place one week before opening day. That would suck.

• Herby says:

This catcher whining is getting so old, it’s like losing Russell Martin was the worst thing to happen since Munson’s plane went down. By next year it’s going to be, Russell who?

• LK says:

It’s not so much losing Martin as it is what they replaced him with.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Two things:

1. Russell wasn’t as bad as all that. He suffered from terrible BABIP luck. And he had great power numbers and played good defense.
            2. We’ll be lucky to get get 5 homers out of the catcher position this year.

I think it’s worth “whining” about.

• Herby says:

but it goes on and on and on and…learn to live with it, and see what the season brings. Remember as well the team you leave spring training with never looks like the team you end the season with.

• Havok9120 says:

I’m not so much tired of the “whining” (I wouldn’t characterize it as that, either) about it as I am the people who spent most of last season and off season absolutely SMASHING Martin because he was “a zero with the bat,” and are now acting as if letting him go is a travesty.

• Herby says:

I’m just curious to see what it turns out to be, and I really don’t think it’ll be as bad as many are predicting it to be. The team has certainly lived with worse. I’m also sure there will be a suitable replacement at the trade deadline, and I don’t think the team will be so far out of it that the catching situation will be a make or break situation for the team.
                As you were saying though the travesty crew certainly is an interesting lot, who knows we can always trade for perennial GG candidate Jesus Montero, who I actually think is going to have a pretty good year.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Russell was frustrating to watch at times, but I defended him more than most. I was always reminding people that he’d made the AS team just the year before, and that he was hitting into a lot of bad luck. And I was in favor of re-signing him. Especially when it’s not like he signed for a king’s ransom with the Pirates. And we didn’t exactly have Johnny Bench toiling away in the minors.

• trr says:

Martin was a terrible hitter; he had many lousy at bats you rarely see from a major leaguer, i.e. weak ground balls to the pitcher, soft pop-ups to 1B. Having said that, he’s Johnny bleeping Bench compared to what we have now

• jesse says:

Doubt it’ll be “Russell who?” after next year. But I hope it’ll be “Russell who?” if/when Gary Sanchez makes the bigs.

5. Rick says:

If he sits out the whole year, the team can start collecting on the insurance on his contract right?

6. DJ says:

Cashman usually tells us something that we already know. Not much new news…

7. Dixon Hurbut says:

Who comes back first, Arod or Pavano?

8. Herby says:

He only said it was a possibility, not that it was going to happen. With the nature of the injury it was always a possibility. No news here, just covering the bases.

9. Gonzo says:

What would be worse? A-Rod missing the entire year or having him and everyone else say that he is in the best shape of his life in 2014 because he missed 2013? His body is finally healed and 100%, restorative rest…

• dalelama says:

I think your posited alternatives aren’t really a choice because I think you are inferring one would lead to another.

• Gonzo says:

I know. I’m asking which would be worse. I’m not saying that there is no relationship between the two.

• dalelama says:

But as they are intertwined there is no “what” choice.

• Gonzo says:

I’m not asking someone to choose. I’m asking someone to tell me which would be worse.

• Gonzo says:

For example, what sucks more the car accident or the insurance rate increase afterwards? I’m not asking someone to choose between the rate increase or the accident. I’m asking someone which sucked worse.

I’m sure I would get different answers based on the rate increase and severity of the accident. Not to mention personal information like income.

This is kinda moot as my post was really meant as an attempt at humor.

• dalelama says:

Sorry I missed it.

• Gonzo says:

It happens.

Do you see that I wasn’t asking someone to choose between one or the other?

• dalelama says:

To be frank not really because in your analogy both outcomes are bad which is not the case with the joke.

• Gonzo says:

I get you don’t get the joke. That’s perfectly fine. I’m not Louis CK.

Do you get that what I wrote is logically sound. One can choose which experience is worse even if one is reliant on the other.

• dalelama says:

That last response was just answering your question, as is this one, so please don’t take them as criticism. To be honest I still am not sure if the second sentence (which contains the “or”) is logically sound because the second outcome is being caused by the first so you can’t have one without the other as the “because he missed 2013″ reinforces.

Perhaps someone else more schooled in philosophy could render a verdict

• Gonzo says:

No problem. I think it’s logically sound. I was a minor in Philosophy by the way. Not that it means anything

Does this make sense to you?

…what sucks more the car accident or the insurance rate increase afterwards?

If so does the meaning that much different if I say, what sucks more the car accident or the insurance rate increase afterwards because of the car accident?

I think you are being too persnickety on a baseball blog. Not a criticism just my opinion.

• Klemy says:

With AllState’s accident forgiveness…

• nsalem says:

If you were around in the 60′s you would be denigrating Mantle for his bad legs and blaming him for the Yankee decline. If you were around in the 30′s you would be blasting Gehrig for having ALS.

10. WoknRoll says:

Had a feeling this might be the case so I sold all my stock in Rroyd’s of London.

11. Gonzo says:

Just saw the ad for YES on the right. The one for Yankee Magazine with Joba giving a tour of NE. At first glance, I thought it was an ad for the homeless.

Gotta get my eyes checked.

12. Anthony says:

I don’t notice much when I’m running on the treadmill with ESPN on, but this caught me eye immediately. What happens if we lose Youk? Adams? Nuney?

• Herby says:

I played 3rd in a over 30 league.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Adams is more of a second baseman so it would be a tough transition to 3B, but he is one of the more underrated prospects offensively, though I don’t know how his defensive capabilities are.

• Anthony says:

Right, I know that. If I recall correctly there was some mentioning either by Mike or a commenter a month or so ago suggesting he could be moved there in an emergency. No doubt it’d be a tough transition.

• YankeesJunkie says:

David Adams intrigues me and thinks if he could not be a SS or 3B replacement because he is a quietly good player and at least offensively has shown more than Nunez.

13. Eddard: Back and better than never says:

Money well spent. Good work, Hank. Why couldn’t that penny pincher Hal have reigned him in 5 years ago? Now we’re stuck with the worst contract in sports history.

• MannyGeee says:

Wow… Your memory of distant history (like 5 years ago) is….

Well, it’s #EddardWorld. where Cashman does ALL the bad deals (not just the Yankee ones either. Cashman put on a mustachio and signed Vernon Wells to a McFortune, then changed his hat and signed Barry Zito), and the good players come to us by Immaculate Conception.

• Captain's Gift Basket says:

Well i agree, but the guy never mentionated Cash in his comment.

Not that he is right though, Hal is “penny pinching” ’cause of the whole 189 thing, and back in 07 there was none of that.

• YankeesJunkie says:

Everyone forgets A-Rod came off yet another beastly year in 2007, top three in his career, and then injuries got him which may or may or not be related to steroids. Honestly, 96-08 may be one of the greatest most consistent great in baseball history.

14. Get Phelps Up says:

Seriously, I don’t see any big deal here. This seems like a non story that was all riled up because it was A-Rod. I still expect him back by the All Star break.

• Herby says:

That’s pretty much my expectations as well. I really don’t see much of a change in what he was saying other than it was a possibility. To me this is just another off season we need something to write about rattle the cages story.

15. trr says:

hate to say I told you so, but….
    it says here he never plays again.
    lucky for him, he can still make it to the bank to Cashman his checks…

16. RetroRob says:

I heard the Cashman interview as I was driving, and as the interviewer was asked the question if there was the possibility that A-Rod could miss the entire season, I knew that Cashman would answer the question honestly (yes, there is a chance he could miss the entire season), and that there would be elements of the media who would try and make his non-statement a news story. Nothing said here we don’t know. The talking head could have just as easily asked if there was a chance A-Rod would be back by mid-May or was there a chance that A-Rod would never play another baseball game ever. All were possible.

17. Horizonal Pinstripe says:

Speaking of Say Hey Ray Knight – I once was at Shea when Knight was at third and I believe the SS was Rafael Santana. Ground ball to short – Santana does an Ole an the ball goes into left center allowing a couple of runs to score. Ray actually tosses his glove about 20 feet into the air out of frustration DURING the play. I couldn’t believe the lttle league reaction of his, but it cracks me up to this day.