Jan

Mailbag: Manny Ramirez & Casper Wells

Got just two questions for you this week, but they’re both good ones with long-ish answers. Use the Submit A Tip box in the sidebar to send us anything throughout the week.

(Christian Petersen/Getty)

Bill asks: Should the Yankees have any interest in bringing Manny Ramirez to training camp and see if he has anything left? Could provide a nice righty bat.

Manny, 40, is tearing the cover off the ball in the Dominican Winter League, hitting .306/.405/.532 with four homers, nine walks, and a dozen strikeouts in 17 postseason games after putting up a .293/.360/.434 line in 25 regular season games. One hundred and eighty five total plate appearances is nothing though, so I wouldn’t read much into that performance at all. Ramirez’s agent recently confirmed to Jon Morosi that his client hopes to return to MLB next season and is using winter ball as what amounts to a showcase, and so far, so good.

Prior to the winter ball playoffs, Manny had not been an above-average hitter since splitting the 2010 season between the Dodgers and White Sox (140 wRC+ in 320 plate appearances). His bat speed and power had been slipping for a while when he signed with the Rays prior to 2011, though he continued to hit for average and draw walks. The stint in Tampa lasted five games due to his second PED suspension, which he satisfied after signing a minor league contract with the Athletics last winter. Manny hit .302/.348/.349 with no homers, five walks, and 17 strikeouts in 17 Triple-A games with Oakland before requesting his release in June and sitting out of the rest of the year.

I have no idea what Ramirez is capable of doing at the plate these days. No one does. He looked close to done during his brief (88 plate appearances) stint with the ChiSox in 2010, when he managed just a .261/.420/.319 (115 wRC+) line. The on-base rate is fantastic, but the lack of power from a guy in his late-30s is a red flag. That said, it’s a small sample and he hit .311/.405/.510 (150 wRC+) in 232 plate appearances with the Dodgers before going to Chicago, so maybe it was just a small sample issue. Remember, that was also two full seasons ago now as well. Hard to take anything from those performances.

Given their emphasis on makeup and all that, I can’t see the Yankees signing Manny at this point. Even on a no-risk, minor league contract. Just can’t see it. That said, I’d love it. Love it. Put that all-important veteran clubhouse to work and see if those guys can keep him grounded and in check. Give him an invite to camp and see what he can do against left-handers, against right-handers, as a DH, as an outfielder, at first base, whatever. There’s nothing to lose other than I guess PR, but the club isn’t doing so hot in that department these days anyway. The Yankees are boring as hell and Manny would certainly make Spring Training much more interesting. I’d love to see it.

(Ed Zurga/Getty)

Mark asks: With the Mariners apparently going with some mix of Jason Bay, Raul Ibanez, Mike Morse, Franklin Gutierrez, and Michael Saunders — should Casper Wells be available? He’d be a good, cheap fit.

Seattle did nothing to unclog their logjam by replacing John Jaso with Morse, and in fact they made it worse since they would have been able to stick Jaso behind the plate. Justin Smoak is terrible, so Kendrys Morales figures to get most of the action at first base. Jesus Montero has a clear opening to catch at least most of the time, meaning Bay and Ibanez will likely platoon at DH while Morse, Gutierrez, and Saunders man the outfield.

Wells, 28, is a right-handed hitting outfielder who does almost all of his damage against southpaws. He’s a .246/.317/.435 (109 wRC+) overall hitter in 656 career big league plate appearances, but that’s broken down into 132 wRC+ against lefties and an 88 wRC+ against righties. He will strike out some (26.2 K% vs. LHP), but otherwise he draws walks (10.2 BB%) and hits for power (.225 ISO) against lefties. The batting average won’t be anything special (.264 career vs. LHP), but power and patience go a long way. Add in the fact that his defense has been rated as above-average in the corners and average in center, and you’ve got a useful platoon outfielder.

Wells is out of minor league options, meaning he would have to clear waivers to go down to Triple-A next season. That won’t happen, he would almost certainly get claimed. Saunders broke out last season (108 wRC+ overall) and suddenly started hitting lefties (116 wRC+), so he doesn’t necessarily need a platoon partner now. Gutierrez is far from a guarantee to stay healthy (or hit) though, so having an extra non-Bay and non-Ibanez outfielder around seems like a wise idea. If the Mariners do make Wells available, a) it would probably be at the end of Spring Training after they ensure everyone makes it through camp in one piece, and b) the Yankees should definitely have interest. He’d be a great fit.

Categories : Mailbag

1. trr says:

Can’t see the Yanks doing anything w/Manny. Yes, it’s an intriguing option, but you know it would somehow blow up in our faces somewhere along the line. As for Caspar the friendly Wells, he seems to be right there in that platoon only option the Yanks are trying to fill. One advantage: he is definitley a better defensive option than any of the other names being tossed about here recently.

• dalelama says:

Manny would fit in great with the current squad; old, overrated, known steroid cheat, and breaking down. His clutchness however might disqualify him from consideration.

2. upstate yanks says:

Wow… not much to talk about in Yankee Land these days. A mailbag featuring Man Ram and Casper Wells. Is it mid-February yet?

3. John C says:

Wells would be a nice option, but I’m sure the Mariners, knowing the Yanks situation, would ask for more than Wells is worth, so I don’t see it happening. Maybe near the end of ST like the article suggests. Nothing to lose by inviting Manny to camp for a look see.

4. Reggie C. says:

Manny Ramirez would have to cut alot of hair. The new look alone would be worth seeing him in pinstripes. It’d be an interesting short and hopefully good tenure for the greatest HS hitter ever from NYC public schools to come back.

He spent far too long as a Red Sox for me to ever become a fan of his, but if he can help the Yanks, why root against a return?

5. Fernando says:

NO, NO, NO. A million times NO to Manny Ramirez.

6. jsbrendog says:

you know who should sign manny to an MiL deal if the yanks don’t, which they won’t? Houston. seriously, what have they got to lose? You have to put someone in those seats….see what he’s got haha.

7. Laz says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing manny get a ST invite. I would take the .260/.420/.320 line. Not alot of power, but he is someone that I think you could really stash at the bottom of your lineup.

• Ted Nelson says:

I’m not against giving him a minor league deal by any means, but I think the concern would be that line may be unsustainable: if he’s not much of a threat hitting the ball, Ps would theoretically attack the zone and his walks should go down.

• WhittakerWalt says:

I have to believe that even Manny at the end of the line can manage a SLG higher than .320, and that that was an aberration.
        Still hate the guy, though.

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

Yes to Wells, who I’d given some thought to myself. No to Manny. That ship sailed long ago.

9. Vern Sneaker says:

Is there any hope somebody can teach Melky Mesa how not to strike out 28% of his plate appearances (minor league total)?

10. Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

I’d take Manny in a heartbeat worst scenario, you sign him to a minor league deal he does nothing and gets busted for PEDs again. Best case scenario, you might get a decent Righty DH.

11. Murderers' Row Boat says:

Stop it, Mike. Manny’s last years were a product of steroids.

12. thenamestsam says:

Wells is a nice fit. Good part time player for this year, and he’s still pre-arb so if you really want to go cheap in the OF for the next few years and spend your money elsewhere you could stretch him to a full time role (although I almost gagged thinking about a Garnder-Wells-Icihro starting OF for 2014). Since their catching situation looks a little dire maybe we could sell them on Cervelli or Stewart if Romine makes the big team.

Manny’s the kind of guy who can actually make spring training not only watchable but must-see, so from a fan’s perspective I’d 100% do it. The Yankees never would though. They just don’t go in for that sideshow stuff, even for spring training. Not going to happen. Nothing to see here, move along.

• Ted Nelson says:

I hadn’t really thought about Wells at all. He’s an interesting possibility. At the end of ST the Yankees will also have a better feel for where Diaz’s health is and at least a little more info on their AAA guys, so it could be a good time to make a move if the need still exists. Cervelli or Stewart definitely might entice the M’s as a back-up, if the Yankees happen to be in a position to move one. I think we’ll see Zunino sooner than later, though, so I don’t know how much value they’ll place in a back-up C with no options left if they think Montero can at least C 50 games (which, for what it’s worth, he did last season).

I don’t think Manny is necessarily the guy, but I would guess the Yankees add at least one more bat before ST. Maybe Manny can be a back-up plan should they miss out on other options.

• thenamestsam says:

It definitely looks like they’re planning on going to Zunino sometime soon, but unless they want to start with him out of the gate they’re going to need at least a part time solution to pair with Montero, and even once they call up Zunino I’d expect they’d carry a 3rd catcher since Montero will probably DH a lot. I think it’s a fit but you’re probably right that it’s a small enough role that they might not trade Wells for one of those guys alone. Maybe if we throw in a very low caliber prospect that would make them more interested.

Agreed that I think we’ll see the Yankees bring in a few more guys to fight for a shot at least, I just don’t think Manny will be one of them. Just doesn’t feel like a Cashman move.

• Ted Nelson says:

I think it’s definitely a possible fit if things break a certain way, just saying it’s not necessarily a 100% fit.

I’m not expecting Manny, especially since they’ve past on him in previous years. He hasn’t hit in a few years (though that didn’t stop them with Colon, I suppose), and he was a bad defender even in his prime. If he thought it was the best move available, though, (and I have no idea if it is, though I assume it’s not) I think that Cashman would make it.

13. CP says:

Justin Smoak is terrible

Maybe they can trade him for Brad Penny.

14. jdubs says:

A friend of mine grew up across the street from Wells, and they went to school together. By all accounts, he’s a really good guy. That might play into the character thing our Yanks seem so high on.

Is there a metric for character? fCAR?

• dkidd says:

fCAR is unreliable

i prefer GRIT/150

• Ted Nelson says:

While it’s not easy to quantify, I don’t think you’ll find many people who disagree with the idea that working hard will help a prospect and bad publicity can hurt a team’s bottom line.

No one said that the Yankees are looking for choir boys. They’ve brought in guys with less than stellar reputations like Jones and Burnett. They drafted Slade. My take is that they’re looking for guys who work hard among amateurs, since they have a long road and a lot of improvement ahead of them to get to MLB, and that they try to avoid huge character risks at the MLB level (which every team does… this is why Elijah Dukes couldn’t find a job after 2009). That doesn’t mean that they prefer a nice guy to a good player.

There are different aspects of character you can consider. Some are relevant here.

• jdubs says:

Ted, I absolutely agree that hard work, determination, and a willingness to sacrifice are all integral parts of being successful. Not just a successful athlete, but successful in general. I’d bet that no one makes the majors, or even high minors, without working harder than most of their peers. I think Casper Wells is a case in which his character outweighs his stats (and not just because my friend says he’s cool).

Seriously though, can we start tracking fPALM? Might make all of Nunie’s potential errors a lot easier to stomach!

15. dasani says:

Manny ? We’re really scrapping the bottom of the barrel here.Cash told ESPN’s Wallace Matthews that he his still shopping for a bat but he has now until thr July 31st trading deadline to acquire one.That said I think the GM is being very diligent in his shopping and he his not going to make a move just for the sake of it.

16. Travis says:

Would love to see Manny in pinstripes with a no risk deal. Within that same theme, I think an even better option would be Vlady G. No make up issues there, actually quite the opposite.

17. MartinRanger says:

I would love Manny on a minor league deal. This clubhouse will force him into line if he actually makes the team. That’s one thing have a bunch of AARP members on the squad is good for.

Casper Wells would be a fabulous addition, but right now they really seem content to go into ST, barring a few low-risk veteran minor league deals, with the roster they have.

I can’t say I’m very happy about that.

• Ted Nelson says:

“right now they really seem content to go into ST, barring a few low-risk veteran minor league deals, with the roster they have.”

What makes you say that?

The Montero deal didn’t happen until January 23rd last season. Kuroda didn’t sign until January 26th. Ibanez on February 21. I have no idea if any will happen, but I’d say changes are very possible.

• MartinRanger says:

They are, but the number of players the team has already passed on who they have expressed interest in makes me pessimistic.

Maybe we’ll get a Hairston, a depth starter, some bench guys on minor league contracts. Maybe we’ll get Kottaras if we’re lucky. But this team just feel like it’s in Stand Pat Mode right now.

• Ted Nelson says:

I don’t expect much action on the FA front outside of maybe a 4th OF / DH, but I think that trades are still very possible. Something like the Casper Wells scenario where the Mariners have 0.5 Cs and 10 OFs on their 40 man roster, and need to smooth it out. Not to say that exact deal will happen (Yankees don’t necessarily have a C to offer, unless they’re interested in Bobby Wilson), but something like that could.

I’m not sure that they have solutions at 4th OF, DH, and C (UTL to a lesser extent) that would put them in stand-pat mode. They’re not in desperation mode, I wouldn’t say, because they do have options. But I think that they’ll make the right move if it presents itself. Like they felt they did last season.

What players that they passed on? That they had interest doesn’t necessarily mean that they had enough interest to meet the market price. Late in the off-season if often a good time to find decent prices, as many FAs come down on their demands and teams shuffle their roster to finalize it (Andruw Jones is another February signing, Mitre-Dickerson is a low-level example of roster shuffling).

While a lot of fans wanted Morse, I don’t think that was a perfect fit. He had one year on his deal, is awful defensively, and cost a top 100 prospect to acquire. They should have inquired, and reportedly did, but I’m happy they held onto their top prospects there.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Agreed on Morse. He would’ve been a decent fit, and probably had a decent year if he was able to stay heathly. The poor defense, injury concerns, and necessity to surrender a top prospect made me hesitant. Although if they had gone ahead and made a deal I wouldn’t have been too annoyed by it.

• Ted Nelson says:

Yeah, I forgot about the injury concern.

It would have annoyed me, personally, to give up a top prospect plus for one year of Morse. Maybe not if it had been Slade, since I see him staying healthy as a 50/50 proposition at best. I don’t know how much trade value he has because of that, but if they found legitimate top 100 trade value for him I wouldn’t mind (to me personally one year of Morse is not that… but I guess to the Mariners it basically was).

18. Josh says:

They should sign Bonds. I am partially serious. It would have made sense in 2008 anyway

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Probably too much time has pasted since he last played but he certainly retired or was pushed out of the game too soon. His last 3 seasons, he had a .426, .408 and .428 wOBA. The guy was pretty much superhuman.

He would have been just amazing as Yankee DH, PEDs or no PEDs.

• Steve (different one) says:

Have you seen Bonds lately? He’s built like Ramiro Pena now.

19. Steve (different one) says:

Didnt Manny and Youkilis fight in the dugout? Surprised that wasn’t mentioned.

Of course, it’s not like Youkilis and Joba were BFFs…

Does anyone else wake up every few days and get surprised all over again that Youkilis is a Yankee?

• JRod says:

THe first time I see Youk in pinstripes, taking that ridiculous stance and gritting his teeth like Popeye, I think I will fall over. Adding Manny would kick wide open the gates to Bizarro world. It would be completely worth it simply as a PSYOPS tactic for games against Boston.

• dkidd says:

what if the yankees and red sox used their coaching staffs as PSYOPS?

yanks hire bucky dent and aaron boone as base coaches, grady little as bullpen coach

sox counter with dave roberts, bill mueller and kevin brown

• JRod says:

I love it. The Yanks bring in Billy Bucks as a special assistant just for games at Fenway, the Sox counter by signing Kei Igawa as their 3rd base coach. Might furnish a needed adrenalin spike to the old rivalry. But as Gandhiji said, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

20. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Why not to Manny. His dead cat bounce could be quite high with a little luck.

21. MB923 says:

.261/.420/.319

Wow, I was almost certain there was a mistake with that slashline. When was the last time someone had an OBP of .420 or higher with a slugging percentage lower than .320

I”m aware 24 games (with the Sox) is an extremely small sample size, but still.

• Steve (different one) says:

Seems Iike a guy coasting on his reputation to me.

Once pitchers figure out that strikes are no longer a lock to be hammered all over the field, I would guess that OBP starts falling.

Or, the whole thing is just a flukey 24 games and can’t mean much….

22. Mandy Stankiewicz says:

What about Varitek? Dude is a fackin’ wicked Catcher, bro. Maybe Wakefield will come back too? Wicked knuckle.

• TCMiller30 says:

I love when people make fun of the Boston accent as if the New York accent is sweet sweet music.

• TCMiller30 says:

and you’re using the word wicked wrong. It’s used in the place of ‘really’

For example: Dude is a fackin’ wicked good catcher, bro.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

The NY vernacular is dying, TC. And I stand corrected on the proper use of wicked. Thank you.

• MannyGeee says:

As a guy living outside of Boston right now, I am offended by this…. And when I say “offended by this”, I mean “offended by how many R’s didn’t get dropped in any of the above examples”

For example: “Guy, ‘Tek was a wicked good fackin’ catchah… I mean, wicked pissah!”

And…. Scene.

23. Vern Sneaker says:

This is pathetic. Manny’s not going to happen, everybody surely knows that, and Wells is nothing special or a little worse than that.

Let’s get Te’o's GF to ST. I hear she hits right-handed, though a bit URZ -.

• Ted Nelson says:

How much more special than 132 wRC+ against LHP and capable of defending all 3 positions do you expect their 4th OF to be?

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Disagree about Wells who would pretty much be a grand slam as a 4th outfielder. He’s young, he mashes lefty pitching as mentioned above and not only can he play all 3 positions but his defensive metrics have him above average at all 3 positions.

He theoretically could platoon with any of the 3 Yankee left hand hitting outfielders.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I would like to know what would get that trade done though.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

If only the Yankees had a spare 1st base/DH type. Jack Z can’t resist those guys.

• Jim Is Bored says:

I wish I knew what was going through his mind out there.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Probably that he better win some f’in games this year or he’s gonna be fired and will never get another GM job again.

• thenamestsam says:

I think this and also an extreme focus on acquiring one kind of player. I think it’s a hallmark of bad GMs everywhere that instead of looking for opportunities of all kinds they focus in on finding one specific type of player (trading Wil Myers for Shields was a strong example of that). Jack Z has a team that can’t hit so he’s thinking “MUST FIND POWER BATS”. Easiest place to get them is DH/1B/Corner OF. So now he has quite a few of those guys.

Has he made the team better? Very debatable. Has he made them a contender? Certainly not. But he does have a few guys who can hit for power on that roster now. Bully for him I guess.

• Steve (different one) says:

Should have held onto Jorge Vazquez….

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d drive Adam Warren myself.

• Vern Sneaker says:

C’mon, guys. A .245 BA vs. lefties with a 24% K rate and 6 HR in 184 PA (2012) is mashing? He’s ordinary at best. And calling him a fourth outfielder doesn’t make him unimportant –he’d be a platoon guy with any of the three lefties on a kind of rotating basis, so key. We’ve got to do better than this.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Ok then, who?

• Vern Sneaker says:

Exactly. I’m having trouble accepting we’re going to start the season with the three lefties + the guys we’ve acquired or any of the names that have come up over the last few weeks or Melky Mesa as our potential right-handed outfield bat.Unless the pitching staff has overall a really exceptional year, we won’t win anything with this roster besides maybe 90 games, less if Jeter doesn’t come back well. There’s still plenty of time to Opening Day, though, so I’m assuming an important trade will happen.

• Ted Nelson says:

How did you feel about Marcus Thames going into 2010? (He wasn’t even signed until February, by the way, nor were Jones in 2011 and Ibanez in 2012, so right now you would have felt nothing about any of those guys.)

How did you feel when Gardner went down and the Ibanez/Jones conglomerate was a starter for the Yankees?

Or all the has-beens and plugs they used in the mid-to-late 90s during dynasty years?

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

2012 he had a .382 wOBA and 150 wRC+ vs lefties
          2011 he had a .361 wOBA and 127 wRC+ vs lefties

That’s pretty damn good considering his defense.

• Vern Sneaker says:

I’m sure you’d be able to win the advanced hitting stats argument with me,and it’s not that I don’t think they’re important to consult, but I see this guy as just okay at best — and that’s not enough to win championships with.

• Havok9120 says:

Except we KNOW that that isn’t true. Most teams that win championships don’t have All-Star caliber guys at the 23rd-25th spots on the roster.

• Ted Nelson says:

Besides what Havok said above about not needing 25 stars to win a WS, you’re nitpicking which stats you want to look at. The goal of the so called “advanced stats” is just to bring all the numbers you’re looking at into one number.

Basically as you look at different players, it’s hard to do this in your head. It’s easy when a guy is just good or bad at everything. It’s tougher when guys are somewhere in between, which most legit MLB players are.
              One guy Ks a lot, but hits for power, but walks a lot, but doesn’t hit for much average. One guy hits for average, doesn’t k, but doesn’t walk or hit for power, but he does steal some bases. Another guy hits for average and solid power, though not many HRs, but doesn’t walk. How do you weigh those different factors against one another in your head? When you bring defense and other real-world factors in it’s even harder to try to figure out in your head.
              So, there are stats that try to measure each guy’s performance based on the relative importance of all of these things to the team.

As you say, he’s important in that he fits a specific niche need. At least as plan a, they aren’t looking for him to play every day. They’re looking for him to play sometimes when a LHP is on the mound, and maybe make some PH appearances in that same situation. You can point to a couple of negatives, but in what’s not that big but also not that small a sample his OPS against LHP was .891 in 2012 and is at .838 on his career. That’s a pretty basic stat. And, for comparison, .891 would have put him 12th in all of MLB for 2012 if he could do it overall. .838 would have put him at #38, behind Adam Jones and ahead of Nick Swisher.
              It’s hard to argue that based on what he’s done in MLB so far he doesn’t hit LHP pretty well.

• Vern Sneaker says:

That’s interesting stuff, and I’ve tried to go thru the wrc+ formula sometimes to rationalize my gut on a player with his traditional stats and his advanced stats. How does a guy with a .245 BA and a 24% K rate and just 6 HRs in his lefty splits have such a good wrc+? What does it predict for him? I can’t get a feeling for where to put the emphasis so it gets back to a gut sense that in the case we need someone much better. I’d be glad to be reminded of a year we had no right-handed hitting regular outfielder, which makes the so-called 4th guy much more important this time than a “23-25″ bench player, I think.

• Ted Nelson says:

Here’s where the number comes from for 2012: http://www.fangraphs.com/stats.....eason=2012

His triple slash against LHP was .267/.364/.527. Average/on-base%/slg%. Good for a 150 wRC+. Meaning 50% above league average based on that metric. So while he Doesn’t have a great BA and Ks a lot, he draws a lot of walks and hits for good power.

He had 7 HRs, but it was in 151 PA. Roughly a quarter of a full season. So that would translate to about 28 HRs if he played a full season against nothing but LHP. Then another 7 2Bs and 3 3Bs would translate to about 28 2Bs and 12 3Bs.

Here are his career splits: http://www.fangraphs.com/stats.....8;season=0

“I’d be glad to be reminded of a year we had no right-handed hitting regular outfielder, which makes the so-called 4th guy much more important this time than a “23-25? bench player, I think.”

Again… Wells is a good fit for the 4th OF job. He hits LHP well, he’s cheap, and he’s strong defensively. I have no idea if the M’s would deal him or for what, but he would be a good fit for this particular role. For a starting role? No. But, you agree that’s not what they’re looking for.

You also can’t just say “hey, he hits LH so he can’t hit LHP.” Ichiro has a reverse split on his career: he hits LHP better than RHP on his career. Gardner has pretty minimal splits. Granderson has strong career splits, but has picked it up the last couple of years. Hit LHP really well in 2011 and ok in 2012.

• Vern Sneaker says:

I stand corrected because I looked at the wrong line when I researched this. The .245 etc. was in all games where the starter was lefty but he stayed in to hit against a righty reliever. U guys r right, he’s more attractive than I thought. Thx.

24. Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Wait, 185 plate appearances for Manny is nothing, but George Kottaras’ 209 all of last year should make the Yankees want to add him?

I mean I know we’re comparing Dominican League numbers to MLB numbers, players playing two different positions, and Manny is a nut-job who may still be using steroids for all we know; but that wording rustles my jimmies a little.

I’d be open to extending Manny an ST invite, if only for the entertainment factor. Who knows, maybe he really could give them some quality at bats. Doubt the Yankees do it though.

25. Hoss says:

Stay tuned, fans. Next week we look at whether Manny Mota might be that bat the Yankees are missing and whether Casper the Friendly Ghost should be introduced as the team’s new mascot.

• Jim Is Bored says:

You don’t have to keep coming back to a baseball blog during the baseball offseason if you don’t like it, you know.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

In all seriousness, based on the Yankees roster today (which is not complete), how many games do you think they’ll win and do you think they’ll make the playoffs?

• Havok9120 says:

I’m not sure why you keep coming back (or commenting) if the offseason content bores you to such a degree. Things are generally slow during the offseason and there isn’t a ton anyone can do about that.

You’re gonna love Retro Week.

• Hoss says:

It saddens me to think that Yankee fans have to consider signing one of the most egregious PED users, worst, most selfish personalities, and poorest defensive outfielders in the last decade to make their team competitive because of some garbage PR the front office is spewing. Manny in pinstripes to me would be as bad as Curt Schilling or Carlton Fisk.

I’d like to discuss getting a true MAJOR LEAGUE catcher, a bona fide QUALITY outfielder or other ADDITION to this team. If the FO’s announcements about budget are not accompanied with “As a result of our austerity measures, we will be freezing/lowering ticket/concession prices for our fans who are part of the Yankee family,” their budget bullshit doesn’t concern me.

• Ted Nelson says:

Manny has been mentioned on here at length for both the 2010 and 2011 seasons, as I recall. This has nothing to do with the budget. It has to do with a very low risk signing that just might have a high reward to fill out one of the last roster/bench spots. Because for anything else he is, Manny was one of the best hitters of his generation as well.

As bad as Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, Johnny Damon, and Kevin Youkilis?

If you want to discuss getting a C or OF, why the hell don’t you ever discuss it? Bring it up. Talk about it. Don’t make all these comments about how terrible everything is. What solutions do you propose? That they haven’t made a move yet is no reason to think that they will never make a move. If they don’t have an ideal solution in 2013 that neither means that they can’t win a ton of games in 2013 nor that they can’t find a solution for 2014.

• Havok9120 says:

Nobody “has” to consider anything. People are doing it because they have a thought and find it fun to game out what it might look like.

And if the “budget bullshit” doesn’t concern you, that’s fine. Just don’t expect the vast majority of your proposals to have any merit in terms of workability. Like it or not, the budget is what the team appears to be working with. Scenarios which ignore that are fun to daydream about, but “discussing” them doesn’t look like much more than “wouldn’t it be cool if we signed Player X?” “Man, that’d be great. Too bad we can’t fit him in. Darn budget.”

26. Herby says:

Now it’s a push for Manny…pretty fucking sad. Last used up piece of trash I’d ever want to see on the team.

• Steve (different one) says:

“push” feels like an overstatement…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I know we often believe our comments influence the front office, but mailbag questions would push that a bit more into utter absurdity.

• Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Are you posting from the beach in Florida???

If so, I’m extremely disappointed that you’re taking time away from enjoying the local fauna.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Jesus Christ, there’s hardly a push for Manny Ramirez. Someone asked whether he’s worth a look, and some people think he might be. Nobody’s screaming “sign him now!”

Calm down, it’s not that bad.

• Herby says:

I was referring more to some of the posts on here, not to what the team would do…and especially to Mike’s, “I’d Love to see it,” comment. Push, was used as a bit of hyperbole, not to be confused with Superbowl.

• Long-Past-His-Day-Rod says:

Hmm, the HyperBowl might not be a bad idea. Give players a bunch of amphetamines and let them have at it.

27. jdubs says:

does GRIT/150 take home cities into account? not much opportunity for shenanigans if you play in Kansas City, but play for the Mets and you have both reason and opportunity to get into trouble.

28. Get Phelps Up says:

Sign Manny, make him cut his hair, then release him a la Darnell McDonald.

29. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I’d LOVE to give Manny a look, but I don’t there’s a snowball’s chance in Hell that the Yankees actually will with their big emphasis on makeup (which I always found, if not totally nonexistent, HIGHLY overrated).

I mean, those 77′ and 78′ teams sure had some type of wonderful makeup, right? And if only Manny wasn’t on the 04′ and 07′ Red Sox teams!

30. jim p says:

I bet he still has it. He can knock an old guy in the clubhouse on his ass anytime he’s in the mood.

31. Big Man says:

He quit on his team. He is a piece of crap, but so many are. Quitting on the team is a deal breaker, IMO.

32. Jim Cavanaugh says:

Might as well sign Manny, Bonds & Sammy Sosa too. The day management valued Youk at 12 million and Pierzynski not worthy at 7.5 million i have been permanently gasping in confusion.

33. Ally says:

I think we should sign Manny now and then trade him to Jack Z for Wells.

34. sandy g says:

can anyone tell me who are the yankee spring training non roster invites?

35. Will (the other one) says:

Sign Manny and let him catch. Problem solved.

There, I said it.

36. John says:

While Casper Wells would be a cheap fit, I don’t think the Mariners will give him up. They don’t really know what they’re going to get out of Bay. He could be a fourth outfielder, a DH, or a minor leaguer. I think they will play it safe and keep an outfielder who they know can hit lefties.

• Steve S says:

I agree, they should at least wait until the end of Spring Training to trade (if it doesn’t reduce his value too much)