Jan

Yankees avoid arbitration with Boone Logan

The Yankees and Boone Logan have agreed to a one-year contract worth $3.15M, according to CAA Sports. MLBTR projected $2.8M. The left-handed reliever was arbitration-eligible for the fourth time as a Super Two, so he’ll be up for free agency next winter.

David Robertson is the team’s only remaining unsigned arbitration-eligible player.

Categories : Asides, Transactions

1. jjyank says:

Boone-tang.

2. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Is that a lot for his performance? I’m too Yankee-centric to know. Seems like he isn’t that much better than Robertson, and Dave’s way cheaper.

• TCMiller30 says:

Probably because he’s worse than Roberston, but further along in the arbitration process.

• RetroRob says:

I don’t think it’s a lot based on today’s prices and his service time, although it’s more than I guess the other day. I had Logan at $2.5M. I have’t done all that well guessing, since I also had Hughes at $6M and he came in at over $7.1M.

I’m pretty sure Robertson hasn’t settled yet, so I doubt he’s going to be all that much cheaper once he signs. In fact, he’s probably going to be somewhere right around what Logan got, even though he’s better than Logan. Boone has extra service time (about a half a year), something I didn’t factor in originally. Logan can be a free agent after 2013, where Robertson has two more years of team control.

• The Doctor (formerly known as G formerly known as Matt Smith formerly known as David Tennant formerly known as etc) says:

I’m not sure how you could even only he’s better than Robertson. Robertson is one of the game’s elite relievers. Boone is a lefty specialist who’s just good against lefties and ok against righties.

Even imply*

3. Ed says:

Minor nitpick, I don’t think he was actually a super two. I believe his first time eligible he had something like 3 years and a few days of service time. That meant he was a normal first time arbitration eligible player. During his first year with the Yankees, they sent him down to the minors for a few months. He ended the season around 3 years, 140 days of service time. The end result of that was delaying his free agency a year, but giving him an extra time thru arbitration.

4. uyf1950 says:

I doubt the Logan will be with the Yankees next year when he hit’s FA. Heck he may not even be with the Yankees this entire year. With Rapada on the roster and much, much cheaper and Cabral and Rondon either available or will be shortly after the season begins.

5. Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

How exciting.

• Havok9120 says:

You’re right. In favor of making the offseason more exciting the Yankees should refuse arbitration to all their eligible players and release them instead.

• Cool Lester Smooth (Formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Chill out bro. Obviously Logan’s an important piece in the Yankee bullpen next year, if only because the first syllable of his name ends in “o” so we can have LoJoRoMo in our bullpen next year (CoLoJoRoMo if we keep Eppley). I was just being flippant since it’s been a slow news day.

Luckily, though, my Eagles hired Chip Kelly and are gonna stomp on the NFC East once we have something resembling a defense.

6. Travis L. says:

That leaves David Robertson as the lone arb case right? Didnt the Yankees go to arb with Robertson last year as well?

• Mike Axisa says:

They haven’t gone to a hearing since Chien-Ming Wang like seven years ago. I wonder (hope) the delay with Robertson has to do with negotiating a longer (three years?) term extension, but I doubt it.

• Travis L. says:

What are the odds of that? It’d be great. A future pen of Robertson, Montgomery, Kahnle, Goody…maybe Aaron Dott or Cabral as the lefty…very intriguing, even though its doubtful all of the above work out right away or at all for the Yanks.

• Ted Nelson says:

No idea if they’ll agree with Robertson on his value going forward, but I do expect a pretty homegrown (or at least cheap) bullpen going forward. Seems like the first place to cut some fat for $189, and a place the Yankees system should be able to turn out some cheap talent. Robertson could be the lynchpin of that plan, I suppose, if he can be their closer at premium setup man money. Say ~$6 mill per like Mike Adams and Affeldt. My $6 mill guess is based on the Yankees taking the risk he gets injured or ineffective, but him giving up the opportunity to maybe close in 2014 and hit FA as a young closer looking for a Papelbon or at least Soriano deal. No idea how that would fit with their $189 plans.

7. Matt DiBari says:

I will forever curse being born right handed.

• Travis L. says:

I’m left handed, but never got a chance beyond college. If I could have done things differently, I would have began as a lefty pitcher, instead of playing first…wanted to be Don Mattingly though.

8. upstate yanks says:

Good to see Loone Bogan get his. He gets a ton of hate around here but he usually gets the job done.

9. MannyGeee says:

Seems like a ton of money for a guy who is little better than adequate against LHP. OK, so he’s not a complete abortion against league average RHP, but that just seems expensive for Booney…

10. forensic says:

Based only on some people’s projections and largely on mlbtr, it sure seems like they’re paying a bunch of extra money for a team acting so apparently fiscally conscious this offseason. Much of it is tied up in Hughes, but overall I think they’re nearing $2 million over the projections, and more including the incentives for some of them.

Not a huge deal, but from the outside looking in it seems like they may be settling so quickly that they’re just overpaying for the sake of getting it done.

• RetroRob says:

I’m curious how MLBTR is tracking this year vs. other arbitration-eligible players, and specifically against pitchers. The Hughes and Logan numbers were off by quite a good percentage. Are teams signing their pitchers at higher amounts, or is this a Yankee thing.

11. [...] business last week, agreeing to one-year contracts with Phil Hughes ($7.15M), Boone Logan ($3.15M), and Joba Chamberlain ($1.875M) . David Robertson did not reach an agreement, so the two sides [...]