Jan

Posada to serve as Spring Training instructor; no plans for comeback

According to the AP, Jorge Posada is expected to be with the Yankees in Spring Training as a guest instructor. “They haven’t asked me yet, but they said they are going to,” said Posada while also acknowledging he doesn’t have any plans to get into coaching full-time. “Not right now … Maybe later. I like coaching, I like helping out, but I don’t see myself doing it right now.”

Posada, 41, retired last offseason and said he won’t be attempting a comeback a la Andy Pettitte. “No comeback for me,” he said. “I’m good with what I’m doing and I was happy with the decision I made last year around this time. I’m enjoying the family … I miss certain things about the game. You’re always going to miss certain things. I, obviously, miss my teammates the most.” The Yankees lack a DH at the moment but I take Jorge at his word and don’t expect him to return as a player. He was always a no-nonsense guy. Besides, Pettitte retired when it was obvious he had gas left in the tank. Posada looked done in 2011. Either way, I look forward to seeing him in camp this year.

Categories : Asides, Spring Training

1. 28 this year says:

Now because of Pettitte, every guest instructor invited will be asked about a comeback haha. Maybe Moose would like to come back? He was my favorite pitcher to watch.

• Dalek Jeter (formerly: Raul Ibanez AKA Tom Marvolo Riddle AKA True Yankee(TM)) says:

I’m pretty sure if Moose came back he could win 15 games with an ERA in the mid 3.00s, but just because of how awesome he was in his last season.

2. Mickey Scheister says:

If this roster looks close to what it does now, Posada will be DH’ing this year. They have a hole, and an internal option to fill it, albeit a 41 yo one. The Yanks love to bet on aging veterans on one year deals, this has Favre written all over it.

3. murakami says:

Even Jorge’s ghost would be a welcome platoon hitter in the postseason.

Going forward, I hope Tex, for example, could look as “done” as Jorge did batting left-handed in that 2011 ALDS, when he hit over .400.

Hip, Hip….!

4. Yankee Fan 1 says:

Excited to see him in camp. Not that excited that he will probably be our best hitting catcher in camp.

5. Jacob The OG (formerly Jacob) says:

I don’t know, his showing in the 2011 postseason was some more life in the bat, but, I don’t think he has enough left to offer the yankees anything.

6. jim p says:

Looked at Berra and Posada for HoF considerations. Their offensive numbers are pretty close (except strikeouts, Yogi had more walks than Ks).

I was surprised Jorge stacked up pretty well. And he was the 2nd, perhaps 3rd best offensive catcher of his era (and if he didn’t drug-up, maybe the 2nd or 1st.)

He was certainly famous.

I wish I knew how to use Baseball-reference to compare the two on one page, but here they are individually.

Berra:

Posada:

• nsalem says:

But which one was better looking??????

• WhittakerWalt says:

Jorgie should be in the Hall, but it may take a while. We’ve seen how stupid the voters can be.
      It’s a shame he got such a late start as a regular, he could have definitely gotten over 300 homers if he’d been in the lineup a little sooner. Thanks for blocking him, Girardi!

• Steve (different one) says:

Alternatively, if he played everyday from the time he came up, he might have fallen apart several years earlier than he did. Considering the Yankees won the WS all those years, it’s hard to say they chose incorrectly.

• WhittakerWalt says:

Sure, anything can happen. Who knows?
          But it would have been nice for him to get a few more of those precious counting stats under his belt. Voters do love their counting stats.

• M&M Boys says:

Once Bill Dickey learned Yogi his experience–as Yogi puts it–he became a very good defensive catcher. By no stretch of the imagination was Jorge ever strong defensively. He was, however, a very good hitter–often clutch and a lot of power.

7. 189,189,189, says:

He IS DONE and certainly cannot teach the catchers how to block the plate……..

8. trr says:

Yes, he is done. All this speculation is silly

9. Bob Buttons says:

Looking forward to see Jorge as a Yankees coach.
    Maybe he can actually help the catchers learn how to hit over .220

10. Chiggie says:

No one can teach this group of catchers that. I just hope they make to.220.

• Steve (different one) says:

Cervelli is a career .271 hitter in 562 PA’s. He’s not going to make you forget Jorge Posada, but if
      BA is your thing, I’ll take the over on .220

11. Not to say Posada is coming back or even should, but his OPS in his 2011 “season of toast” was .714 — bad by his standards, but pretty awesome compared to Chris Stewart’s .611 in 2012 (which was a career high), higher than Francisco Cervelli’s career .692 OPS, and higher than Bobby Wilson’s career high of .705 (career .593).

To review:
    Toast Posada OPS .714
    Chris Stewart OPS .611 career high
    Francisco Cervelli OPS .692 for career (.657 in AAA last year)
    Bobby Wilson OPS .593 for career

They’d all provide better defense and who knows what kind of decline we’d see in Posada after a year’s worth of losing his timing, but it just gives you some perspective about how great Posada was for an offensive catcher that we see his final season as such a letdown. That is, until he tore the cover off the ball against Detroit in the ALDS.

• Steve (different one) says:

Of course we have to remember Posada did that as a full time DH, didn’t catch at all.

Seems logical the wear and tear of catching could drag that down.

I do agree that it is often overlooked how great Posada was, and you are right, I’d sign up for that .714 OPS from the 2013 catching crew in a hot second.

• Cool Lester Smooth (formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Remember though, DHing screws some hitters up if they’re used to playing in the field every day.

• RetroRob says:

I believe a 60-year-old Posada would outhit any version of Stewart. Unfortunately there’s the catching part…

12. Grover says:

Patience. It’s still January and the cheap players get invites just before pitchers and catchers report. After Berkman’s $10M deal I am pleased Cashman waits in the weeds for the low hanging fruit.

13. Travis L. says:

Speaking of catchers…We have Romine, Wilson, Stewart, Cervelli coming to camp. Everyone talks about Sanchez and Murphy. What’s the deal with David Remedios? Just trying to get a sense of depth about the catching position.

• Preston says:

He’s a 25 yo cuban defector who hasn’t played above rookie ball. If he hits, he might be a fast mover due to his age. But I really don’t think he’s even in the top ten of catchers in the system right now.

• Travis L. says:

Gotcha. Saw the small sample size he put up in Tampa or Charleston this past season. Just seemed to be fairly decent. Thanks for the input.

14. Horizonal Pinstripe says:

Jorge was so clutch so often. He is missed big time. Too bad he was underappreciated by the fans the last few years.

15. Herby says:

This just in, Major League baseball player Scott Hairston is still undecided.

16. Andy Pettitte's Fibula (formerly Manny's BanWagon) says:

Off topic but rest in peace Earl Weaver.

Great post on Buster Olney’s twitter of a classic Weaver argument.

17. gc says:

Manager’s Corner with Earl Weaver. (much profanity in this clip)

It’s the anti-Jeterian approach to giving interviews. Hilarious!

18. It is truly a nice and helpful piece of information.
    I am glad that you simply shared this helpful info with us.

Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

19. Excellent post! We are linking to this particularly great content on our site.

Keep up the great writing.