Feb

Cervelli withdraws from World Baseball Classic

Via Chad Jennings: Frankie Cervelli confirmed that he was withdrawn from the World Baseball Classic. He was scheduled to play for Team Italy.

Cervelli, 27 next month, will compete with Chris Stewart, Austin Romine, and I suppose Bobby Wilson for one of the team’s two catching spots. So yeah, it was a very smart decision on his part to remain with the club in camp so he can do as much as possible to impress the decision makers. Cervelli apparently has a minor league option left and I doubt he wants to return to Triple-A.

Categories : Asides

1. Laz says:

Not sure, but MLBTR insists that Cervelli is out of options. MLB should list this stuff.

• radnom says:

Someone brought up the Cashman quote (which is what Mike references), but MLBTR thinks Cashman either mistaken or lying.

You’re right, its weird that in this day and age this information isn’t available somewhere.

2. trr says:

i’m sure he wanted to compete, but as the article states…
    good luck to him and to us!

3. Travis L. says:

I wish I had the link for where I saw this, but I dont…I saw an arguement made for Cervelli’s defense back in 2009 and 2010, that said he was catching an erratic AJ Burnett most of the time. What do you guys think about that?

• Mike HC says:

From what I have seen, I prefer Cervelli over Stewart, but not by much. What they show is Spring Training will make a considerable difference. Here is to hoping Romine is better than both of them by mid season.

• Monterowasnotdinero says:

Cervelli is quick and has a strong arm. He has been known to reach Grandy in CF quicker than anyone else we have on attempted steals. In 2013 this will be a designed play in which Grandy will creep in and throw out the runner at 3rd.

2-8-5 if you’re scoring at home.

4. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (Formerly Austin Aunelowitzky) says:

Girardi: “You’re not playing for Italy/WBC…Capisce?”
    Cervelli: “huh?, hablo Espanol…no hablo Italiano.”
    Girardi: “Exactly my point!”

5. Matt DiBari says:

Oh, good.

Maybe a few weeks in Spring Training will allow Granderson and Gardner to figure out the quickest way to retrieve the balls thrown into left center field.

6. lou in the bronx says:

Gimme two week with cervelli. Ill show him what being italian is all about.

7. RetroRob says:

Cervelli doing what he needs to to win the starting job. Taking PEDs and staying in camp. Good job.

Interesting that fans and the media only care about HOF-class players who take PEDs. Eveyone else, free pass, even encouraged.

8. lou in the bronx says:

The things you’d do for a chance in the show. I mean. Aren’t there major benefits in being called up to the majors. Healthcare?, more money? Correct me if I’m wrong.

• EricVA says:

No you are absolutely right. If I were a marginal player, I’d definitely take the risk. One day on a major league roster gets you great healthcare for you and your family for life. Worth a 50 game suspension.

9. umbrellaman says:

Does the WBC have WADA or Olympic-level PED testing that is more extensive than MLB?

10. Scully says:

If Cervelli does have an option remaining, I wonder if he didn’t realize it until recently and thought “oh shit, they won’t release me, they’ll send me down” if he doesn’t make the team out of camp… so he decided that the WBC was what it actually is, pointless and that he’d better stay in camp.