Feb

Damon has “tons of interest” in reunion with Yankees

During a recent radio interview, Johnny Damon said he had interest in a reunion with the Yankees for what I think is the third year in the row. “You guys know that I would have tons of interest to go to New York,” he said. “But I just don’t think they would be interested … They have had plenty of opportunities and I kept raising my hand, wanting to go back and, you know, hopefully it would be a perfect fit. It always had been. Have me for six weeks and then send me off on my merry way. That’s fine.”

Damon, 39, hit .222/.281/.329 (71 wRC+) with four homers and four steals in 224 plate appearances for the Indians last season before getting released. He hasn’t hit much since leaving the Yankees during the 2009-2010 offseason and he’s much more of a DH than an outfielder these days, but at this point the Yankees have nothing to lose. Damon said he’s cool with being cut loose when Granderson returns and it’s not like there’s a standout internal candidate, so what the hell, bring him to camp and see what he has to offer. For what it’s worth, Brian Cashman responded to Damon’s comments by saying “we will focus on what we have at this time.”

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. CountryClub says:

Damon just comes off as sad and pathetic. I appreciate the fact that he liked his time in NY, but as he said, the team has made it very clear that they’re not interested.

2. Dalek Jeter says:

No thanks, Johnny. You’re terrible, you’ve been so for a while, and I feel like that if you were brought in to “compete” for the LF job you would just be handed it because of your name.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

#andiwantafuckingpony

4. emac2 says:

I have tons of interest as well.

5. TCMiller30 says:

Of course he does. He had interest in everywhere that dared to breathe his name the past couple seasons. This guys got nothing left, and I really hope he doesn’t get brought in.

6. Nick C says:

If he really felt that way he should have taken less money to resign a few years ago. His fault.

7. IRememberCelerinoSanchez says:

Other with “tons of interest” in returning to the team to fill the gap in left for the Yanks include Shane Spencer, Bernie Williams, Karim Garcia, Chad Curtis and Roy White. All as likely to be productive as Damon.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Roy White is always one of the guys in best shape at Old Timer’s Day. I wonder if he could outplay at least one of the other names you mentioned.

8. Person, Place or Thing says:

“Damon” backwards is “nomad.”

9. Robert says:

Johnny Damon has “tons of interest” in getting a pay check from any team in Major League Baseball.

10. Winter says:

I really like Johnny Damon as a person and, back when he was good, a player. And I think it’s great (if kind of desperate) how much he seems to like the Yankees. Yeah he’d take a job anywhere, but I don’t think there’s another team that he has practically begged to sign him for three years in a row. That being said, I don’t think he can really contribute: he can’t play defense and his offense hasn’t been good since 2009. No harm in inviting him to spring training to se if there’s anything left in the tank, but don’t sign him unless there’s evidence that he can be good again. Maybe the time off last year helped him, but the Yankees shouldn’t commit unless they know for sure.

11. JohnC says:

What does Damon have left? Rather go with a platoon of Almonte/Mesa or Neal. Lets not keep getting even older

12. jjyank says:

Minor league deal? Sure, why not?

But you, Sir Damon, are legit cray-cray if you think you’re getting anything guaranteed.

13. Rizi Walnuts says:

Like old Babs the other night, I got tons of misty water-colored Johnny D memories. Let’s leave it that way.

14. WhittakerWalt says:

It’s not mutual.

15. Nice Guy Eddie says:

Let’s just hope that Dickerson gets DFA’d by BAL at the end of spring. Then they can roll with a Rivera(or whoever)/CDick platoon for the first month or two

16. Slappy McWaterbug says:

I have a ton of interest in playing for the Yankees too.

17. HW says:

Johnny, you have tons of money and a gorgeous wife.

Time to just sit back and enjoy it, buddy.

18. RetroRob says:

Damon is asked if he’d like a shot on the Yankees. He says sure, although it’s unlikely they’d have an interest. Fans overreact.

19. Hard to criticize Damon. He did well for us during his time with the NYY. He’s not the first, and won’t be the last star, who doesn’t know when to retire. Does anyone remember how painful it was to watch the Mick at the end of his career or Willie struggling to play CF for the Mets? Best to sit tight for now with what we have, conceding the point that Cashman did not position the club well for the inevitable injuries. Any team that Cashman deals with now will recognize his desperation and want too much in return. To once again quote T.S. Eliot (and use the month as a metaphor for ST), “April is the cruelest month of all”.

20. Jim Cavanaugh says:

As bored as i have been with the team’s failures this off season and as much as i would like a spark added to Spring Training … Fuck NO !!!

21. Betty Lizard says:

This is the equivalent of my sitting by the stoplight at the end of my art career with a sign that says “Will sculpt for food”.

22. mick taylor says:

on a minor league deal, what is the harm paying damon 1/100 th the salary a rod is getting. damon is still better than juan rivera or diaz

23. Steve (different one) says:

What about Bobby Abreu if we’re going down this road? Even in toast form, 2012 Abreu OBP’ed .350…

24. FIPster Doofus says:

Love Damon, but no thanks.

25. Yankee Fan In Cleveland says:

Come on give Johnny a break. He isn’t looking to come back for the money. Damon has made over $110 million dollars just on baseball contracts so it isn’t the money. Damon wants/needs AB’s. He is 231 hits away from 3000. Its obvious at this point he isn’t going to get there but I can’t fault him for trying.

The guy wants to play and while I don’t want him playing for the Yankee’s you gotta love his desire to play.

• Jonathan says:

That’s exactly it. He’s the bottom of the border for HOF and considering the guys that aren’t getting in with no ties to steroids and their numbers, he’s screwed without 3,000 hits. And even then he’s looking at several years of waiting for the ballot to clear up.

26. Laz says:

Isn’t Damon playing in the WBC for Vietnam or somewhere that area? Don’t need to bring him to camp, just scout it out.

27. Pat D says:

Part of me would love to see this happen. But then I have to remember how terrible he was last year and that he would be so again. As I’ve said many times before, there’s nothing sadder than watching a previously great/very good player have his career die a slow, painful death.