Feb

Girardi says Hughes may not be ready for start of season

This isn’t the most surprising news in the world, but Joe Girardi told reporters this afternoon that Phil Hughes might not be ready for the start of the season due to a bulging disk in his back. “It’s possible,” said the skipper to Chad Jennings. “I think it’s too early to tell that, though.”

Hughes, 26, completed his round of anti-inflammatory medication and is working out in a pool these days. He isn’t quite ready to pick up a ball and there simply might not be enough time left in Spring Training to fully stretch him out for the season. If Hughes doesn’t make his first Grapefruit League start in about two weeks, it’s unlikely he’ll be able to start for the Yankees the first time through the rotation in April.

1. TheOneWhoKnocks says:

Give his spot 2 Joba

• King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

Dammit. I so wanted to be the first person to post that…

• BeanTooth says:

A thought experiment for the Yankees would be to imagine both Hughes and Joba starting and then figure out who would be worth more to the team going forward.

• BeanTooth says:

P.S. It pisses me off this has come back up as an issue. I had made my peace with Joba as a reliever…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

People are stretching for stuff to type about. There’s only so many times you can try to make the same point about the catching situation and whatnot. Time to revisit old favorites, I guess.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Can someone go chase Joba down on that ship that’s already sailed?

• gageagainstthemachine says:

Joba: “Hey Cash. I know you heard my quote the other day about starting.”
      Cash: “Huh?”
      Joba: “Well…I was thinking if Hughes isn’t ready to start the season…maybe I could?”
      Cash: “What’s that?”
      Joba: “You know…about starting…I think I can still start…if given the chance…”
      Cash: “I’m sorry Joba, I was trying to listen to you but all I could focus on was the grubby ass thing you call a mustache. Now, what did you want to talk to me about?”
      Joba: “Nevermind.”

2. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

This could extend the Nova Phelps competition a week or two or a couple of starts into April…

• Preston says:

Phil is the better starter, and so for 2013 it sucks to not have him at the outset of the season. But Phelps and Nova are both going to be around for 2014 and beyond so giving them both a longer shot at starting is a good thing IMHO. At least that way when one gets banished to the pen it won’t get brought up four years later about how the Yankees never gave them a fair shake.

3. Arod's Hip says:

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if we the fans are not ready at the start of the season.

4. Robinson Tilapia says:

Lots of things are possible.

5. Mike says:

What sort of affect do you see this having on his upcoming free agency?

• Havok9120 says:

None, because it hasn’t happened yet. No one in the org is expecting him not to be ready, it’s simply “possible,” in a hypothetical sense, that he won’t be.

Everyone complains that Girardi and Cashman always give super-generic and obvious answers, yet we still detonate over them every time.

6. turd surfer says:

He’ll be fine. Might miss a start it two, but that’s fine. Good chance to let some guys fight for a spot in real games

7. Tom says:

While not a big deal at this point it again puts some pressure on the Yankees depth. If another starter tweaks something between now and the beginning of the season, suddenly Warren is potentially getting some April starts.

I think this points to what Mike A has been talking about – the Yankees hopefully will stash a veteran scrap heap starter in AAA. I think this would hopefully step up those efforts (if it hasn’t already)

8. Cool Lester Smooth (formerly YanksFanInBeantown) says:

Phuckin’ Phil Hughes. What is it with him and getting hurt during ST?

Does he enjoy making us suffer?

9. RetroRob says:

Nothing new from when the bulding disk was announced. He needs to pitch in a game by around the 12th or 13th to get enough ST innings to build up his arm for a turn through the rotation. A set back means he’ll miss that. Current course and speed he’ll make it.

10. Andrew J. says:

Kyle Lohse anyone?

11. trr says:

I knew it, I knew it!
    Gentlemen (Ladies?)I’m starting to think this will be a lo-o-o-o-ng year

12. Slu says:

Gee, I hope they can find someone that can fill in and provide 6 ER in 3.1 innings like Phil normally does in April.

Only half-kidding.