Feb

Hot .GIF Action: Mark Montgomery

Well, congrats to right-hander Mark Montgomery for becoming the first two-time hot-.GIF subject at RAB. He walked one in an otherwise uneventful and scoreless inning this afternoon, breaking out some sliders that made wolverines purr. More after the jump.

1. Mscott says:

Reminds me of Moose’s knuckle curve…nasty…what grip does he use?

2. jjyank says:

That is one beautiful slider.

3. King of Fruitless Hypotheticals says:

good framing on two of those…who was catching?

4. JLC 776 says:

Very tight. Like it!

5. IronHorse says:

stupid question but what does GIF mean?

6. Mark says:

I follow the site in Google Reader, and scrolling through stories now with all these animated .gifs around makes my eyes bleed! Are you going to be doing this for all games from now on?

• Colombo says:

God, I hope so!! As someone who won’t be able to see every game, seeing some of the filthiness our pitchers are throwing up there really is something special.

• Mark says:

I can sure appreciate that, but I have limited resources for viewing the site – either via reader or on a mobile browser. Neither copes with this stuff very well and makes the site look really cheap and nasty. I’m clearly going to be in a minority here but I’ve followed RAB for years and just wanted to mention that it doesn’t show up great for everyone. Apologies for taking up time with something negative!

• Mike Axisa says:

No, tomorrow or Friday will probably be the last day. I just wanted to get as many MiLB arms as possible before the big league guys get in games. There will still be occasional GIFs, but not this many.

7. gageagainstthemachine says:

F-I-L-T-H-Y!

8. HW7 says:

Those .Gifs should come with slide whistle sound effects.

9. trr says:

the almost frame by frame motion of the GIF format really helps delineate the pitchers motion, release, and the movement of the ball.

10. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? says:

Slider thrown at the speed of a curveball? I’ve always thought the Slider was typically thrown harder (like Joba’s). Is this even nastier because it isn’t thrown at a speed hitters might be used to for that kind of action or does that not make a difference or am I mistaken regarding sliders typically thrown harder?

11. BeanTooth says:

Soothes the aching Yankee fan soul.

12. Robinson Tilapia says:

Very impressed with how he got through that inning after the leadoff walk. This guy’s going to be, and probably should be, a player sometime this season.

13. Leg-End says:

This won’t be his last .GIF action appearance this spring.

14. Dirty mike and the boys says:

Guidry slider only from the right side. Kid better not get traded.

15. I can’t wait till he’s in the pen by the end of the year. ’07 Joba 2.0