Feb

Open Thread: 2/20 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

(AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

Today was photo day down in Tampa, though most are pretty boring outside of Joba Chamberlain‘s dirtstache. There was no Instagramming this year, but check out Getty Images and US Presswire for the various pictures anyway. Here’s the latest from Spring Training

• As usual, Chad Jennings has the batting practice, fielding drill, and bullpen assignments. Ivan Nova (simulated game) and Joba (live batting practice) both faced hitters while Dan Johnson again worked out at third base.
  • Mark Montgomery (back sprain) played long toss today and will play catch tomorrow. If he makes it through that without any problems, he’ll get back up on a mound and throw a bullpen session on Friday. [Jennings]
  • Michael Pineda plead no contest to his August DUI charge and received the minimum penalty for a first-time offender, which includes 12 months probation, 50 hours of community service, a fine, and six months with no license. [Dan Martin]
  • In case you missed it earlier, we had an update on Phil Hughes and his bad back. He’ll be shut down for a minimum of five days, likely more.

Here is your open thread for the night. Both the Knicks and Nets are playing, so talk about either of those games or anything else on your mind. Enjoy.

1. Pineda must have had a really shitty lawyer. I made the mistake of getting a DUI and I was able to plee down to a traffic ticket.

• Cris Pengiucci says:

Different states/cities/counties (I think, unless you were in the Tampa area too), he’s higher profile, they probably felt they couldn’t let him off too easy. Might not have been a shitty lawyer.

• Dalek Jeter says:

You’re also not a New York Yankee. They probably wanted to “make an example” out of him.

• LitFig says:

He’s Mark Teixiera! Of course he’s a Yankee!

• Havok9120 says:

I’d bet Cris’s thing more than “make an example.” Being able to negotiate DUIs down under any circumstances is a brutally unpopular policy, at least in most areas. Doing it in a high-profile setting is just asking for trouble for the city/county and a time-bomb for an DA/ADA that wants to move into politics.

• YankeesJunkie says:

DUI is not a crime, reckless driving is a crime. The .08 blood limit is arbitrary and should not included in any crime unless any damage is completed.

• Scott says:

DUI most definitely is a crime. I’m not sure what you’re talking about in saying otherwise (and I’m pretty sure you don’t know what you’re talking about either).

2. Ethan says:

I’m having one of those days where I just want to come home and watch some baseball. The season cannot start soon enough.

3. Dalek Jeter says:

Sony fails again. How do they not understand that the lack of backwards compatibility is going to lose them customers. I’m starting to save up for the new generation of systems now, and if Microsoft makes it’s online system more like the PSN I’m at least going to heavily switching over from being a Playstation Fanboy.

• Ethan says:

Given that they’ll have game streaming backwards compatibility might not be so important. You’ll probably be able to stream old games.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Yeah, for at least a monthly fee if not paying per title. My biggest beef is I don’t want to pay for literally the same game twice.

• turd surfer says:

I’m kinda thinking about getting a steam box.

• Havok9120 says:

It’ll be interesting to see how those come out.

I’m a PC guy and that won’t be changing anytime soon, but I’m still watching the Steam Box with interest.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I’m also interested in the steam box, my problem is I still generally use cash when I’m buying a video game, because it’s usually disposable cash that I use to treat myself.

• pablos ham samwich says:

Sony fails again. How do they understand that the lack of backwards compatibility is going to lose them customers. I’m starting to save up for the new generation of systems now, and if Microsoft makes it’s online system more like the PSN I’m at least going to heavily switching over from being a Playstation Fangirl.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Oh, my God that is so funny. I had no idea people on the internet could be this clever, as to change my gender in hopes of humiliating me. I mean, that must have taken some thought and a whole hell of a lot more wit then I can possibly fathom. To take the time to make an account, copy AND paste my exact text AND have the brain power to some how work out that a normally adjusted guy in his 20s would be offended by having his gender changed by somebody who calls himself a ham samwich. All bow to pablos ham samwich, clearly the brightest and most clever man to post on this site. Take a back seat Big Member, this guy is obviously the new smart troll on the block.

(semi ashamed at myself for taking the time to comment back to him because it’s exactly what he wants.)

4. Pat D says:

Jack Swagger is truly living his gimmick of tea party idiot.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m kind of sad. Tapping out to the arm bar at WM after weeks of annoying shit would have put Del Rio over bigtime.

Odds are he eats a Mark Henry slam to oblivion on Monday.

5. Nutty the Squirrel says:

Disclaimer: This joke may look like it’s for mature audiences only but in reality it’s PG at the most.

A guy is on a trip to the Netherlands and he decides to visit the red light district. He found a place that advertises about its discounts to johns who ain’t too shabby.
    He goes in, only finds two doors. One says “under 25″, another says “over 25″
    He figures, he doesn’t even look 25, so he goes in the “over 25″ door. He finds two doors on the other side. “6 inches or under” “over 6 inches”.
    An honest guy, he goes in the “6 inches or under” door, only to find two more doors. “Three times or less” “Four times or more”
    Wanting to remain honest, he goes in the “three times or less” door. This time, to his relief, there are no more doors. However, he finds himself back on the street.

Moral of the story?
    A completely honest person will never get screwed!

• Dalek Jeter says:

Haha, that’s a good one. I heard this one for the first time the other day, and thought it was pretty funny:

A relatively rich man comes home from work and his wife asks “How was your day?”
      He responds “Great, I got a tattoo of a $100 bill on my privates.”
      Shaking her head in disgust the wife asks “Why would you get a tattoo of a $100 bill on your privates?!”
      The husband answers “Well, I like watching my money grow, I like the way money feels in my hands, and I can’t help but play with my money every so often. Plus, now you don’t have to go shopping to blow $100.”

6. trr says:

ok….
    A guy comes home with flowers for his wife. She takes off all her clothes, lays down, and spreads her legs. She says “This is for the flowers” The guy looks at her and replies “Don’t we have a vase?”

I’ll be here all week…

7. forensic says:

Things keeps getting better and better for Stanton…

• Dalek Jeter says:

My god…imagine how terrible that kid must feel, and how much worse he would feel if Stanton had to miss significant time due to a concussion?

8. D-Lite says:

Holy crap some of those USA Today images are terrible. Is Bryan Mitchell cross-eyed?

• Govin says:

Looking through the photos I came to the conclusion that the Yankees tried to make the player look as bad as possible. I’m gonna have nightmares tonight.

• Not-That-Mike Mike says:

The photographer used a lens that was way too short for portraits, and it made everyone look bad. Look up “focal length” for more info.

9. lightSABR says:

I’m so desperate for baseball that I went back and watched the 15-9 comeback game against the Red Sox last year. Ah, good times.

Two thoughts I kept having during the game:

1) Man, I’m going to miss those homers. This offseason sucked.

2) I guess the offseason did have one upside: Man, I’m not going to miss watching Freddy Garcia pitch.

10. nsalem says:

Just watched a very boring Davidson-Furman basketball game. Furman is terrible, has has an RPI ranking of 345 out of 347 and was blown out 72-37. Only interesting part was was watching Aaron O’Neill (Pauls son) coming off the bench for Furman. He is a dead ringer for his daddy with the thick hair and the same fidgety motions during stoppage of play. Made me think of the good old days. Unfortunately I don’t think Aaron’s sports career will be as long as his daddy’s.

11. MANNYGEEE says:

“Alfredo Aceves has irked his bosses in Boston, but shipping him to another team wouldn’t necessarily be easy for the Red Sox. One general manager told Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com that Aceves has next to no trade value. “Not if you know him,” the GM said (Twitter link). Here are more links from around MLB…”

Funny, the Sox usually jettison you out of town before the Ministry of Propeganda comes through and railroads you… This is out of character.

12. dkidd says:

awesomely awful pictures!

everyone is cross-eyed, girardi looks like hilary swank, rothchild looks lobotomized

• Herby says:

Those are pretty terrible pictures, but they honestly don’t get much of a chance to shoot good shots either, it’s basically step in, take a few shots, step out, get in the next guy and do it all over again. The players do it over and over so it’s hard to get the best out of them. At least this year they didn’t do it in the bathroom. I still would’ve liked to have the opportunity to do the shots though, I think the photographers have them looking much too serious and the lighting is washed out in the Presswire shots