Feb

Open Thread: 2/24 Camp Notes

The Yankees lost to the Blue Jays in their Grapefruit League home opener, but no one cares. Curtis Granderson was hit by a pitch that broke his right forearm in the game, an injury that will sideline him for ten weeks. Given all the offense they let go this offseason, the last thing the Yankees needed was their top power hitter suffering a serious injury.

As expected, Brian Cashman said it was unclear what the injury meant for the outfield situation following this afternoon’s game. Obviously Brett Gardner will step in as the everyday center fielder, but the plan to shift Granderson to left might have to go out the window if he can’t get enough reps there before being game ready. Cashman said they won’t try Eduardo Nunez in left and he’s not sure if any of their young players are ready to play everyday in the big leagues right now. Pretty awful situation. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• As always, Chad Jennings has the day’s workout assignments for those who didn’t play in the game. Hiroki Kuroda and Mark Montgomery (back) threw live batting practice while David Robertson and Andy Pettitte threw side sessions.
  • Brian Cashman said Derek Jeter will probably play his first exhibition game around March 10th, and he’ll start first as a DH before playing shortstop. The Cap’n said that will give him enough time to get ready for Opening Day. [Andy McCullough & Jack Curry]
  • Phil Hughes (bulging disk) will spend about five days working out in a pool before picking up a ball according to Cashman. The right-hander finished off his anti-inflammatory medication yesterday. [Jennings]
  • Tomorrow’s travel squad is light on projected big leaguers, with only Frankie Cervelli, Dan Johnson, Jayson Nix, Brett Gardner, and Curtis Granderson making the trip to Sarasota to face the Orioles. Southpaw Vidal Nuno will start that game, which will be broadcast on MLB.tv but not YES.

Here is your open thread for the night. Both the Islanders and Knicks are playing, so talk about those games or anything else. Enjoy.

1. Winter says:

Curtis Granderson? Travel squad?

2. Bob Buttons says:

Does this guy resemble Joe Torre a bit?? Or is it just me being a bit drowsy?

3. crawdaddie says:

Mike,

You’ve given up on the season already?

4. Craig says:

Sounds like someone lets a burp rip right before Girardi starts addressing the Granderson injury.

5. Hoss says:

Past Steinbrenner logic in this type of situation would call for signing Kyle Lohse and having a better position from which to deal (eg R. Soriano).

• Mike Myers says:

Yankees + sori and Lohse would be a good thing. Sori is way better than any 4th OF they have and Lohse is better than Nova or Phelpsie

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

No way I’d give up my 1st round pick for Lohse though. He very well could end up being nothing more than cannon fodder in the AL.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

This. I’d rather throw Adam Warren’s straight-ass fastball out there and keep the pick.

Kyle Lohse helps you chase what?

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Yep. The pitching staff is in good shape IMO and I don’t see the need to spend big money and give up a pick on someone who might not be any better than the Nova/Phelps/Warren trio.

I’d just as soon sign Derek Lowe

• RetroRob says:

He also would have traded away every top prospect the Yankees have for a bucket of puss.

6. Dalek Jeter says:

…well, there goes my good mood. Seriously though, I guess Matt Diaz and Juan Rivera both make the team out of spring training now, with the better of the two being the starting RF’er w/ Ichiro sliding over to the bigger LF. Hooray!!

7. Carmine says:

Not to be a “LET THE KIDS PLAY” bandwagoner, but as of right now I’d say

1) Anyone outside the organization
    2) Mustelier

3) Rivera
    4) Almonte

Thoughts?

• Christian says:

See how ST pans out before you go crazy trying to find someone outside the organization.

• Bob Buttons says:

Let’s sign Jody Gerut, Gabe Kapler and Gabe Gross!

• Hoss says:

Maybe we can get Milton Bradley on work release.

• kenthadley says:

I’d move #1 to #4…..it’s so early, let Mustelier, who isn’t a kid anyway, get a shot. And Rivera can play if he shows he’s still got something in ST. I wouldn’t trade for anyone out of desperation. It’s just too early. In similar circumstances, this is how other teams come up with surprises from their farm systems. But Mike is correct in being frustrated over their weak winter….it was a smokescreen to get down to 189 next year, even though having the 3-4 massive contracts makes it impossible to do this without significantly decreasing the talent level of the team. Both Hal and Cash are culpable here…what did they expect, no injuries or down-performances this year?

• Laz says:

I agree. Mustelier is my favorite so far. I would give him the shot to prove he can’t handle it. ST games don’t count, run him out there every day to see what he does.

8. trr says:

Anyone outside the organization = who?

9. You should have shot Arod says:

Vernon wells can be had for $

10. George Costanza says:

How about Colin Kaepernick as an OF/P? We brought in Deion a few years ago and look at what it started! This could be awesome. Big bucks, so we can go way the hell over that $189 next year!

You’re welcome.

11. Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

At least Gardner should be pretty well entrenched in CF by the time Granderson gets back.

12. You should have shot Arod says:

Bobby abreu and manny still out there.

13. Greg says:

Mostelier for ROY.

14. Ryan says:

Gardner
    Jeter
    Cano
    Tex
    Hefner
    Youk
    Suzuki
    Almonte

So many things have to go right for them to survive April , if they can stay 500 through the first 30 gms it might not be that bad tho

15. You should have shot Arod says:

Remember last year we hit joey bats the same way. They got even.

16. CountryClub says:

It’s being reported that he’s expected to rejoin the Yanks in 10 weeks. So those 10 weeks should take into account a couple weeks of rehab games.

• Dalek Jeter says:

My rule of thumb is always add two weeks to the expect time missed, so I really am not expecting Granderson back till the beginning of June and Rodriguez till the trade deadline. (Hey at least the team will make some awesome in season acquisitions, a 40-homer LF’er and a future HOF’er 3rd baseman)

17. Steve (different one) says:

Wait until the end of camp and see who gets cut. 10 weeks is may 5. This is obviously horrible news, but if you are going to get hit and miss 10 weeks, your first ST game is the absolute best time to do it.

18. Robinson Tilapia says:

I just read through 200 comments of the Grandy thread. My name somehow came up despite my being out of the house for 90% of it (really, Hoss, I’m married…), and count me in for Ted replacing Joe as the RAB third wheel in a Vince Russo “wacky tag team partners who hate each other” arrangements.

My thoughts on this pure shittery?

I’m all for letting people vent here, no matter how ridiculous the output may be. This was fucking disappointing and, honestly, no matter what comes out of those fingers when you type tonight, you get a free pass from me.

You know I don’t really mean what I just said, but it sounded good.

Yeah, I’m pretty concerned as to what the first six to eight weeks of the season will look like. Granderson wasn’t really one of the pieces I was worried about, and gone he now is. The thin line this team has to walk just got a ton thinner.

What should they do about it, though? This may surprise people, but my first response here is “nothing.” Move Gardner to center and let the options on the 40 man and in camp fight it out. I lived through Erick Almonte and Cody Ransom. I can live through this again. Think Ronnie Mustelier can do the job? Here’s his chance. Think Zoilo is a precious flower ready to blossom? Go blossom away, Zoilo. Let Diaz and Rivera try and prove there’s enough left in the tank. Hell, I’m rooting for Slade Heathcott to rip the living shit out the ball and get a cameo, however far-fetched I know that is.

Alfonso Soriano? Nah. You know who I’d be on the phone with? Kenny Williams in order to get the world’s foremost professional temporary fill-in back in pinstripes: Mistah DeWayne Wise. I’ll drive Preston Claiborne myself. He probably doesn’t even own a car anyway.

There’s only so much I’m willing to chase and chase here. I still believe in staying the course and developing the start of a new core of players for this franchise, while augmenting with veterans.

Silver lining? Somehow, this sets off a cataclysmic set of events that culminates with the celery cap being blown to smithereens next off-season while still keeping the farm intact.

Get well, Grandy, and get back quickly.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Hey man, Eric Almonte wasn’t tha…yes, yes he was that bad, I always had an irrational like for him though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Brian’s original Almonte crush. Can you confirm or deny this, Brian?

I always have been surprised that was pretty much it for Erick.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Really? I mean he couldn’t hit and he was a below average fielder, you have to do at least one well or be name Jason Nix to keep a job in the MLB, even as a back up.

• Pat D says:

Stop talking down to us, fish man! Your an idito!!

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Your boy was in rare form today. Didn’t pick up his prescription refill is my best guess.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Here’s where it gets interesting: how many people here have called me a suck-up for Mike? WHO REALLY IS MY BOY?!?!

• Mickey P says:

Haters gonna hate.

• Steve says:

They’re both your boys it seems. It’s not a mutually exclusive thing. At least there’s a reason for Axisa to be your boy. Even he admits that Ted doesn’t add any value to the comment section

• Robinson Tilapia says:

FWIW, I think they’re both being ridiculous here. One needs to respect the site owner, and one needs to remember he’s the site owner.

Apologies to the both of you. Just calling it like I see it.

#noopinion

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

I respectfully disagree.

I don’t understand why TN sticks around here if he thinks that the only writer on this blog’s analysis is “already piss poor enough” and “seems to know little or nothing about either the game itself…”

He already has little to no respect for a large amount of the commenters around here.

It’s like hating the food from a restaurant but then ordering from that restaurant every day while incessantly complaining about how bad the food is.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Hyperbole on Ted’s part aside, though, I do sense a ton more negativity from Mike these past few months. I actually disagree with several conclusions he comes to as well. Now, Mike may always have been the more glass half-empty of the three, and being the sole voice may accentuate that more, but I sense it too. I disagree with him – and that’s ok.

In the end, you’re right that it’s Mike’s site, and until Ted can show me he can run a site of this size as well as Mike does, he absolutely needs to lay off the insults.

However,

What’s this if it’s not enforced? Don’t lower yourself to your readership’s level. Be the adult in the room. Someone breaks a rule? Warn them. They break it again? Get rid of them. You’ll see how quick the bullshit stops. I say this as someone who both has run websites and has made the same mistake of engaging in the back-and-forth. It was dumb every time I did it.

Hope that explains why I point the finger at both guys here better.

• Bo Knows says:

Appreciate your opinion, but let’s face it TN is an asshole. He often times disrespects every opinion different from his as wrong, and will start making directly insulting comments to said individuals. I don’t even bother reading his comments or respond to him because 90% of the time that is what it will devolve into if you waste the time interacting with him.

I honestly am surprised Ted hasn’t been banned yet, he should have been banned years ago frankly. Should Mike have probably taken the high road, sure, but everyone has a point where they get sick of someone’s shit and snaps. The fact it took Mike several years before he reached that point is frankly astounding, because I would have banned Ted years ago while saying far more ugly things than “fuck you”.

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I understand your point that it takes 2 to fight but it’s no solution to expect everyone else to turn the other cheek and walk away when attacked by him.

At some point, there needs to be repercussions for his behavior and IMO, he should be banned at least temporarily until he proves he can play nice with others.

• Herby says:

I don’t know, today Mike reminded me of the cops who can break the traffic laws because they can, Ted is an idiot, but his comments were over the top.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

I’ve never thought you were a suck up for Mike. Mike doesn’t need suck ups since his articles are typically well researched and his opinions level headed.

I’ve always felt you have an irrational need to defend Ted for some unknown reason. Sure his posts can be rational and accurate but IMO, that doesn’t make up for all the other crap we are subject to like that ridiculous mudslinging attack on Mike in the last thread.

• I am not the droids you're looking for... says:

Well this comment made me go revisit that thread. Wow. That was…interesting. And that outburst by Ted I mean……..wow again.

RT I also thought about 189 in this injured-Grandy context. It could be the straw (arm) that breaks the Bros. Steins’ backs.

• Mike HC says:

I hadn’t even read that thread but I’m happy Robinson gave us the heads up about the nice Ted vs Axisa fight. Mike has usually stayed pretty stoic when Ted had insulted him but I guess he couldn’t take it anymore.

• Herby says:

You’re scaring me lately, we’re agreeing way too much.

• RetroRob says:

Not surprisingly, I’m with you on all this. Sure, if they can pull in Soriano without parting with much, go for it; otherwise, ride it out.

As for the silver lining, that’s been my thought for a while. This year may end up providing the focus and understanding Hal needs on what Cashman needs to keep building winning teams.

19. You should have shot Arod says:

Seattle has a lot of good outfielders too.

20. Captain Crunch Sabathia says:

I say bring in a few more guys in on minor league deals. Damon, Podsednick? Or go for minor trades like for Chris Coghlan? Idk, just throwing some names out there. I say give Girardi more options to play with.

• Bob Buttons says:

Can’t really take one more “I always wanted to play here” speech (and he hasn’t really hit well since 2011), Podsednik is like Juan Pierre except older, Chris Coghlan have sucked for the past two season.

But I do agree that more options couldn’t hurt at this point.

21. Pistol pete says:

Not to worry about Granderson’s broken arm Cash and Hal stockpiled a fabulous group of previously injured or released players from other organizations. For Christ’s sake not filling the 4th outfield position and cheaping out is going to come back and haunt them even more than expected. The power numbers in April should be great as the Yanks won’t have Granderson, Arod, Martin, or Swisher. It’s been amatuer hour all winter now an injury like this will really expose the Yankees weaknesses.

• Derek the HITTER says:

Ok. Everyone just relax. He’s out for a month and a half. He’s not CC. He’s not Cano. It’s not the end of the world. Half of you complaining wanted the guy out of town during the playoffs last year and now ya’ll act like the season is over because he’s out for a month. Yankees will be fine. I hope they don’t overreact and make a bad trade.

22. JobaWockeeZ says:

Look at it this way. Grandy is only out until May and last year he provided only a 2.6 WAR.

• RetroRob says:

Yeah, although that would require us to fully buy into WAR and Granderson’s defensive metrics. I don’t. Meaning fully buy in. I believe he was worth more than 2.6 WAR, yet even if he was 4 WAR, or 4.5 WAR, we’re still looking at maybe a little over a win difference.

They’ll survive this, although the greater question is will they survive all the other things that collectively will add up to a weaker team this year.

23. Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

So this day completely sucked….. until I saw Mike copletely destroy everyone in the last thred, to me that was worth all the HRs we lost and then some.

24. Robert says:

Just wait,with Hughes bad back,CC shoulder and knee,Huroda’s age and the fact that Pettite hasnt started many games the last 3 years,How many of you think Vidal Nuno and Brett Marshall get starts this year? And by which Month. I say Nuno by June and Marshall by July.

25. Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

I’ve been making fun of the Mets outfield to some friends the last few weeks and now we’re looking at a Rivera/Diaz, Gardner, Ichiro crew.

26. Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

Has everyone ever thought about the idea where we just do the all so terrible move of doing nothing? Seriously Grandy is coming back and pretty fast too, how many years in a row now have we like copletely sucked the first 30 games? Why should this year be different.

• Dalek Jeter says:

But this year is different, because of stuff. and things. We won’t be able to climb out of the huge hole of winlessness the team will go through with out Granderson. Look away from the threads all off season begging to trade the guy filled with all the people now claiming the Yankees are doomed w/o him.

In all seriousness though, Granderson is a ~3 win player. Over the month or so he’s out, it might cost us 1 win.

• Jacob the OG(formerly Jacob) says:

Exactly

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Truth is in LF, Granderson should be a lot more than a 3 WAR player.

His CF defense dragged him way down where he was well below average. He should be well above average in LF

27. Betty Lizard says:

I. THE BURIAL OF THE DEAD

FEBRUARY is the cruellest month, breeding
    prospect hopes out of the dead land, mixing
    Memory and desire, stirring
    Dull AAAs with spring rain.
    Winter kept us warm, covering
    Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
    A little life with trade rumors.
    A hit by pitch surprised us, coming with the first at bat
    With a shower of rain; we stopped at the press conference,
    And went on in sunlight, into a bar
    And drank microbrews, and talked for an hour.
    Unser Team ist nicht zu alt, brauchen wir nicht outfielders, Nur Pitching
    And as we calculate rehabilitations
    Our manager, he may move Ichiro to center,
    Girardi, he put Youkilis in the lineup,
    And Martin, traded to Pittsburgh
    And I was frightened. He said, Betty,
    Betty, hold on tight. And down we went.
    In the blogosphere, there you feel free.
    I read, much of the night, and stay north in the winter.

28. Joe says:

The granderson injury might be not as bad considering in our first 41 games we only play 15 games against teams that were above 500 last year

• Jerkface says:

Of the first 44 games they play 21 games against the Rays, A’s, Jays, Tigers and Red Sox. Who should all be pretty good teams. This doesn’t count the Orioles. Indians and Royals have some non-jokey players too.

• Dalek Jeter says:

The Red Sox are still a pretty ‘meh’ team. The Orioles are going to crash back down to Earth, and overall the Indians and Royals still figure to be pretty bad.

• Mickey P says:

I agree that the Red Sox are still a pretty average team and while the Indians have improved they are still average aswell. But, and this is just my opinion, I think the Orioles will still be a pretty good team. A full year of Machado to go along with improving players such as Jones, Wieters, Reimold, and Chen should not be overlooked.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Their rotation is only 2 deep (and that if Hammel is healthy).

• Robinson Tilapia says:

BUT IF THEY SAY “COAL HAMMELS” ENOUGH!!!

#lastyearsmeme

• Mickey P says:

By my account they will have eight starting pitchers- Hammel, Chen, Tillman, Gonzales, Britton, Arrieta, Matusz, and Hunter- for five spots in the starting rotation. So, what they lack in frontline starters they make up for in depth. This list does not include Bundy. Someone I believe will be in the starting rotation by August. Of course, were just talking about the first two months here.

• Mike Axisa says:

It’s very charitable to consider Arrieta, Matusz, and Hunter legit starting options.

• MannyGeee says:

Only against the Yankees…

#DoomandGloom

• Mickey P says:

No doom and gloom here my friend. I believe the Yankees have one of the best rotations, aswell as teams in baseball. I’m just not ready to discount the Orioles just yet.

• Mickey P says:

This is a very good point. But they do provide them with good depth. Depth in the starting rotation is vital in getting through the regular season. As im sure many of you know, the Reds were the only team to get through the regular season with just five starters.

29. TomH says:

Granderson’s injury reveals the depth issue in all its starkness. There is still a question mark re Hughes’ back. This is a team that right royally screwed itself during the off-season, left itself lacking in depth and with no cushion to survive injuries. And injuries are to be expected with old-timers. The surprise is that injury knocked off the still-youngish Granderson and may yet claim Hughes (has he he not had back problems before?). And we haven’t yet heard from old-timer injuries.

Penny wise. Pound foolish. That’s what Hal & Co. were this winter. If the 189 rule is still on the table for them, then the team has hit the 2014 Red Line a year early (as others have noted).

• Mike HC says:

Josh Hamilton would have looked even nicer right about now. But I’m a big Hamilton fan, I can see how he wasn’t necessarily a fit with the Yanks.

• Manny's BanWagon (formerly Andy Pettitte's Fibula) says:

Yep

By sleep walking through the offseason, they left themselves with little margin for error. Just gotta hope the pitching staff is gonna at least meet expectations if not exceed them since it appears they’re gonna have to depend on run prevention more then ever before.

30. Mike HC says:

What terrible news with Granderson. Just a major bummer really for what has already been a lackluster off season. I hope Cashman is scouring the trade market for something.

31. Hoss says:

Sign Kyle Lohse. He is willing to take a 2/3 year contract. Kuroda and Pettite are retiring after this season. Gives much more flexibility to pick up the pieces they need this season and next.

• MannyGeee says:

Um. You know how old Loshe is right? Why would you offer a 34 YO 3 seasons, only to bitch about “Too many Old Guyz” in 18 months?

Also, Spring Training has started, the teams have the leverage. You could get him for 1/6 at this point.

All of this does not even take into account that your answer to replacing the production of Iran injured LF is to sign another starter.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Kyle Lohse is the solution to the Middle East crisis?!?!

• Hoss says:

2 year contract with vesting option for 3rd year. Look at how he has pitched the last few years, and yes, he can pitch to 36-37 y.o. Age in pitching isn’t quite the same as a position player. I’d take Jamie Moyer if he could help.

• MannyGeee says:

How does he help the problems we have right now with this Yankee team? I am not following your logic sir.

• Hoss says:

In addition to the fact that you can never have enough pitching, it gives the Yankees the possibility of trading a Nova, Phelps, or Hughes (or combo) to pick up some power without leaving a void on the pitching staff.

• MannyGeee says:

Seems like a lot of moving parts to make up for a month of Granderson.

Out of curiosity, what side of the “Future of Granderson” discussion were you a month ago?

• Hoss says:

I believe that Granderson will miss much more than a month. What do you mean by “Future of Granderson”? I’ve been opposed to the trade that got him here since day 1.

• MannyGeee says:

What I meant was, for the past few months there has been a strong push by some rebel forces to “Trade Grandy for teh prospects”. Didn’t know if you sat on that side of it.

And until a doctor not named Dr Hoss says that he will be out for longer than the original 10 weeks the pros have mentioned… Well, gotta go with them.

• Hoss says:

On trading Grandy, I am colored by my view of our prospects for winning this year (not good) and my view of Cashman as a trader (also not good), so I feel very strongly both ways.

I am a doctor, but not the kind that could treat Grandy’s injury. If he’s out 10 weeks and still hasn’t had spring training, doesn’t that mean he’s pretty far behind?

• Pat D says:

Yea, Cashman is a terrible trader. Please cite examples of both good trades and bad trades in his tenure in order to receive full credit.

• MannyGeee says:

My bad, I thought the quote was he’d ‘rejoin the team’ in 10 weeks.

So even at 12 weeks… Fuck it, lets say 14 weeks, signing Loshe to trade young pitchers to get someone for 40 cents on the dollar? For 6 weeks of the regular season? Like I said, a shit ton of moving parts with little upside.

Especially when the guy pulling the strings is a “bad trader”…

• MannyGeee says:

Never provide examples… Just throw blanket statements and knock off when your asked to expand… See below, he already went all “fish face” on R Tills…

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“He already went all “fish face” on R Tills.”

Is that considered cheating on my wife?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Looks like you’re caught up in a world of Hoss. Need a lift?

32. MannyGeee says:

The game is on MLBN now, I am dreading the pitch.

Adam warren looked hot the 1st inning. And Melky looks like an asshole.

33. Pistol pete says:

Jeter(38 coming off major ankle surgery), Ichiro(39 yrs young), Cano, Tex (numbers have been declining), Youkalis (hit 234 last yr), Hafner (needs to find new ped’s), Gardner (coming off a major elbow injury), Stewart/Cervelli (career minor leaguers and backups), and an outfielder to be named later. Way to go Hal, your $1500 box seats will be empty by June 1st. This line up could be worse than the Mets, seriously.

34. Manny's BanWagon says:

To make matters worse, it looks like the Yankees are gonna scrap the plans to switch Grandy and Gardner because of this injury according to Brian Cashman.

As Cashman said after Granderson’s injury was discovered, “That experiment’s over.”

Another blow to the Yankees now having to overcome a crappy glove in CF once he comes back.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Seems like the opposite of what should be done. It’d be much easier to stash someone out in LF and play them for their bat.

• Hoss says:

That Cashman’s a pip! Stick the worst fielding OF in baseball last year, coming off an injury, in CF because he hasn’t practiced LF. He sucked in CF and he can suck in LF!

• MannyGeee says:

The experiment is over because there is no control now. Might still happen in June…

• Pat D says:

I think that’s a bit stupid.

• Herby says:

Sounds like a big mistake, he could get all the work he needs while rehabbing and getting ready to come back to the team. I’m always amazed at how they make switching OF positions into performing brain surgery.

• Mike HC says:

Yea, I don’t get this either. I would have thought this ended the competition in favor of Gardner. If Gardner is dominating in center, I really hope they don’t move him off that spot when Granderson returns.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’m really surprised. If any of the younger guys, Mustellier, Diaz, etc., rise to the task in the spring, it’s just so much easier to hide any liabilities in LF. I just don’t get it, and I really haven’t been passionate as to the whole Grandy/Gardner position thing.

• ClusterDuck says:

“That experiment’s over.”

Of course the experiment is over. Gardner is now the CF by default and Granderson will eventually be rehabbing in LF.

• forensic says:

Exactly, beat me to it. The only question really is what happens in about 3 months when Grandy is back. At this point, the only thing that would keep gardner out of center during this time would be picking a fill-in, be it internal or external, who only has experience in CF and neither corner. Gardner would likely still be better used in center, but I could see the logic in not adding a position change to someone being called up or something to fill-in for now.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Is that what was meant, though?

• Manny's BanWagon says:

I guess we should consider the source but according to Wally Matthews, Granderson is likely to play CF upon his return.

• RetroRob says:

The whole “can Granderson play LF” is a joke. He’s moving from center to LF, a move made by tons of CFers as they age. He can play LF.

Wally makes up most of his articles. Girardi and Cashman haven’t even thought this over yet, so how would Wally know? Plus, Granderson is going to go on rehab assignment that could last the full 21 days. Plenty of time for LF in the minors.

35. Govin says:

“Whatever Yanks do to replace Granderson, decision will be made with the understanding that he’s likely to miss 30 games, not 162. Remember that.”
    Jack Curry.

Last year the Yankees were at 16-14 after thirty games. What I get from this is that losing Curtis is not insurmountable.

36. MannyGeee says:

You know the ultimate irony, Toronto matches up fantastic in trade scenarios. Goshe is on the outside looking in in their OF, and they have catchers for days…

And they could use BP pieces, methinks

• Bob Buttons says:

Actually, they planned to do this a while back.

That’s why they signed Cabrera at 8M/yr despite having Sierra and Gose in the wings, despite trading away Snider and Thames to clear way for him.

And now they will tease Cashman and distract him from making other upgrades by having on-and-off teaser trade talks all year long.

37. MannyGeee says:

Got to say, Mustieller can really hit the snot out of the ball… When he’s not striking out, that is.

38. Robinson Tilapia says:

Let’s get completely off-topic here:

Looking into a new pair of sneakers. I’ve been buying running shoes pretty exclusively (Mizuno) for the past few years, but I’ve pretty much stopped running altogether. I have a pair of shoes specifically for spin, which I do a few times a week, but honestly just want a pair of solid cross-trainers for weights, the elliptical, the occasional kickboxing class, and just regular gym activities.

Did some research online, and the Nike Free 4.0′s, technically a lightweight running shoe, seem to be considered an excellent cross-training shoe. Anyone have any experience with them, or have another recommendation? Money’s not too much of an issue, but I’d rather not have to spend over $100-120, complete max.

• Govin says:

I’m sure you’ve already done this, but you should see if New Balance has anything that fits your needs. They seem to be very durable. I just recently got a pair of running shoes from them for about sixty bucks. They are very comfortable and lightweight. Heres a bonus Granderson wears them. Anyway I’m sure you’ll get the best shoe no matter what you decide to get.

39. Craig says:

Would anyone like to give me some thoughts on this 3500 word piece I did on the National League Central? I try to appease both stat crowds, old school and advanced.

• TomH says:

I thought it was a terrific piece, especially useful for me, as someone who doesn’t really follow the NL. I also read your piece on the sale of YES. Your account was a lot clearer than much of what I read at the time the deal went down.

40. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

So today our company was offered my HS theater free for a week.

Sound like we’re feeding from the bottom of the barrel? Well, that’s not exactly (re: at all)true. My HS theater has 800 seats and a built in lighting and sound system, as well as a huge array of props and costumes backstage at our disposal. We would get for a full week of dress rehearsals, and then for the show.

And I’m in a terrible mood. You know why? My two co-chairmen, both of whom I’m extremely good friends with, by the way, want to turn down the offer.

Now to clarify: We’ve been trying to secure this theater since November. NOVEMBER. A teacher has offered to PLAN HER SUMMER VACATION around us in order to accommodate us. And now, FINALLY, we are told we can get the theater-and my co-chairmen want to turn it down.

Do you know why?

It’s because Godspell is an “intimate show” meant to be done on a small stage and the cast will be “demoralized” if not a lot of people show up.

I did an eight person show on that stage. I saw a six person show and a ten person show on that stage. The show I was in was specifically designed to be performed in a black box theater. We used that stage.

But forget all of that, and let’s focus on the REAL issue: WE HAVE NO OPTIONS.

They want to turn it down with no backup plan. As in, if we turn that FREE theater with the lighting and sound system down, as well as the five free days of dress rehearsals, we will be back at step one, and will need top try and figure out where else we can find ANOTHER free theater that we can use. I found one that we could afford using our 400 dollar deductible that goes with the play. It’s in a gym in an area nobody ever goes to. There’s no parking. We would get one dress rehearsal before the show. That’s our option two. Even they acknowledge that it sucks balls.

So: They want to turn down a free theater that we get for five days with a lighting and sound system attached, because Godspell is too “intimate”.

I don’t know what to do. If they turn it down, I think I might have no other choice than to back out. The fact is we’ve been looking for a theater for months and God dropped a gift of a theater I never thought we’d get in our wildest dreams INTO OUR LAPS, for FREE. And they may turn it down?

I’ve done everything I possibly could for this charity. I started it up when people decided they wanted nothing to do with it, I went business to business fundraising, together we got a Church to sponsor us (legally, a big deal), and I actually, against all odds, managed to secure a theater for FREE.

What else can I possibly do? I think if they turn it down I’ll say “Tell you what, when you find another useable theater, and you have the money to pay for it, you let me know and I’ll do my damndest to get this show off of the ground. But the fact is, we found a free theater, and you said so. Well, what more can I do? Call me when you get a theater.”

I love them, but…come the fuck on, guys. WE HAVE NO OPTIONS.

• Govin says:

Hey Midget, my suggestion is to go to your two co-chairmen,and in a very respectful manner(attitude is everything)Ask them if they have any better options. One way to figure out whether they have a better option or not, is to make a list of pros on one side cons on the other for each possible location. My guess is they won’t have a better location, it seems they are trying to look for the perfect place.Which they will never find. Lastly what ever you are doing, it seems you have put a lot of work in for others, and I commend you for that.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Thanks is much appreciated.

The reason they feel like this is because our director (I never met him but he teaches at a university and both co-chairmen know him, so I would have been outvoted anyway) told them that Godspell should really be performed at an intimate theater, and it might “look bad” if only, like 50 people come (if how it looks matters to our performance we have other, far more serious problems).

I could actually get around that. But now let’s find an intimate theater that’s a better option than this one. Hell, let’s find ANOTHER theater.

They convinced me to meet with the director on Wednesday to “Hear what he has to say” (they deny it, but clearly this is meant to convince me that the free theater is somehow a bad idea, because why else would they insist on this before a decision?).

I’m going to try and explain to them that we have no options. I’ve tried already, but they just don’t get it. I, meanwhile, can all but guarantee that if we don’t use this theater there will be no show.

We’ll see. I’ll be nice about it, but if I’m outvoted, I’m outvoted, then I’m just out of options.

• Rooting for U.S. Steel says:

Godspell is an intimate show?

The productions of it I’ve seen have featured ensemble casts… and bewteen them, live musicians (if you have ‘em), and backstage crew, you’ve got a lot of friends and family to fill in those seats.

Hell, if you can’t sell the side view seats rope off those seats and have the cast member who sings “Turn Back, O Man” go into the audience members and sing directly to the first two rows.

Trust me, when you’ve got a singer close enough to look down your mezuzah, you’ve got an intimate show.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

You’re right. Technically, Godspell is designed to be an intimate, ten person cast show, but it’s often done with a full ensemble with no real issues.

This is all incredibly frustrating.

• vicki says:

nobody wants to pay to see godspell anyway.

do a jean genet in a bar or a wharehouse. or don’t do “theatre.”

i’m bored just talking about it.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Hey, Godspell is a great show.

Theater is very popular in my area and believe me, we’d pay to see Godspell.

41. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Just-for-the-fuck-of-it prediction: 93 games and the AL East. Knocked out in the ALCS, but I don’t know by whom.

42. mustang says:

Granderson and Hughes are out a week into Spring Training. With the age of this team and the lack of depth things could get ugly real fast around here. I guess it’s better now than later and maybe things will pan out, but add 2 more question marks in a team full of questions with very little answers.

43. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Pat, I’m surprised there hasn’t been any Oscar talk from you yet. I just tuned in now and saw best actor. You have any thoughts on the choices?

• Pat D says:

I’ve been doing all my commenting on Facebook.

Overall, it’s been OK. I would have preferred Lincoln and Spielberg, but Argo was good and Life of Pi was well directed. I’m glad Christoph Waltz and Daniel Day-Lewis won.

44. vicki says:

i sit and listen to you hens; many of you aren’t stupid.

but i’m telling all yall, mike, everybody. we have to make a deal.

we have to make a deal.