Feb

Rosenthal: Rockies could dangle catcher for rotation help

Via Ken Rosenthal: The Rockies are looking to trade for rotation help and may be willing to dangle one of their catchers as bait. Colorado has Ramon Hernandez, Wilin Rosario, and Jordan Pacheco on the 40-man roster and Yorvit Torrealba in camp on a minor league deal.

I doubt the Rockies would be willing to trade the 23-year-old Rosario following his 28-homer, fourth place finish in the Rookie of the Year voting last season. I’ve written posts about Hernandez and Pacheco in the last eight months or so, but both guys have their warts. Hernandez is old and declining while Pacheco isn’t much of a catcher. With Phil Hughes on the shelf due to a back injury, the Yankees don’t really have an extra starter to deal anyway. The team went all winter saying they’ll go in-house behind the plate and I have no reason to think that will change now.

Categories : Asides, Hot Stove League

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

Nothing there sounds like an upgrade, just more bodies to compete. At some point, you’ve got enough middling options to throw out there and see what sticks.

I also don’t know who there, other than Rosario, would exactly be worth trading from out pitching depth for.

Not a match. Consider Yorbit if he gets cut.

• Laz says:

Agree, especially don’t want to give up any pitching depth. Would love to get Rosario, but is someone like Hernandez worth giving up Phelps? I don’t think so.

• trr says:

Agree, and why would the Rockies trade Rosario?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

So, what middling options do the Yankees have though? I don’t see any.

Poor options, yes. Middling? Not really.

I’m not saying we should necessarily go after a Rockies catcher (as nice as that would be). I’m basically just griping. We HAVE no average catchers. That was Martin. Our catchers suck.

2. kenthadley says:

Does Colorado seriously think they can get a 175 IP starter for Pacheco?

3. jjyank says:

I remember really liking the idea of Ramon Hernandez a couple of years ago, but now? Not so much. He was pretty bad last year and will be 37 in May.

4. mike says:

beyond that – Hernandez makes 3mm+ this year

5. Midnight Rider says:

Rosario would be heads and tails above anything Yankees have in their whole system, no chance any of their broken down ML “can’t miss” prospects get him..

6. LK says:

Rosario would be great, but I’d have to think he’d be very expensive.

• Laz says:

Not to mention he scares me a bit. He so far is very much a product of coors .297/.348/.609 at home. .242/.273/.448 away.

• Bertin Lefkovic says:

Ugh! Nevermind.

• GT Yankee says:

Because of this I wouldn’t get carried away, but how’s a combo of Romine, Logan and either Nova or Phelps (prferably Nova) sound?

Anyone know how this guy is defensively?

YTPS…I know

• Robinson Tilapia says:

23 y/o catcher who came in fourth in ROY voting and probably isn’t on the block? I’d say it starts with one of the MiLB outfielders, includes Nova, and you’ll be lucky if they don’t ask for Sanchez as well.

I say pour yourself a couple of (heavy) drinks and wait and see what Sanchez does in the minors this year. That’s good advice for everyone, actually.

• GT Yankee says:

Citron on the rocks anyone? :-)

Actually, could be the smart move. I’m hoping/and thinking that Sanchez someday will have better overall numbers than this guy away from Coors.

• Laz says:

How I feel. Would love to get him on the Yankees, but those away splits scare me enough that I don’t want to give up the trade the Rockies will be asking for. We aren’t talking about a Flores for him, would have to be a good package.

• Bertin Lefkovic says:

Expensive is OK by me. Would Ivan Nova, Adam Warren, Austin Romine, and another prospect bring back Rosario? Could the Yankees sweeten the deal by being willing to take Todd Helton back in the deal as well? If not, how much more would it cost to get him?

Regardless of what happens with Phil Hughes and his back problems, the Yankees should sign Kyle Lohse to a one-year (or longer) deal, bite the bullet on the lost draft pick, especially since they are already getting picks from the Indians and Nationals, and give the Rockies whatever it will take to get Rosario.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Something tells me that’s not exactly what they have in mind when talking about dealing from their catching surplus. I think you’re looking at Hernandez and Pacheco as the trade options, while Yorbit may just be available on the side of the side of the road before long.

• mitch says:

Exactly. Colorado is rebuilding and Rosario is one of the building blocks. The Yankees don’t really need him either. I’m pretty hopeful the catcher of the future is already in the system.

What they need is a better stopgap. At 3 mil, hernandez wouldn’t cost much in terms of prospects. I’d probably take a shot and see if he can rebound for one more decent season. I’m all for throwing a bunch of crap against the wall and hoping that something sticks.

7. Travis L. says:

Is there anything that Colorado has that we would want to give up a starter for? I know it said that they “could” dangle a catcher…what else would they dangle?

8. Greg says:

rather have Jake Gibbs at catcher than any of the available flotsom and jetsem.

9. Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (Formerly Austin Aunelowitzky) says:

Sign Lohse, deal Phelps ??

• kenthadley says:

Exactly the thing they shouldn’t do unless they think Phelps is garbage. If this team gets any older the social security payments will push them over 189 next year.

• Who hates bunts more? Axisa or Earl Weaver? (Formerly Austin Aunelowitzky) says:

Haha. “Na na Na na na na live for today, and don’t worry ’bout tomorrow heyeyeyeyyyyy.”(Song way before you were born by The Grass Roots…..you could look it up.)

10. Greg says:

pretty sure that if Cashman were to follow the “advice” of all of these bloggers, Yankees would be lucky to win 70 games.

• jjyank says:

I still love that Cashman quote from a couple years ago.

“If you listen to the fans, you’ll be sitting with them soon enough.”

11. endlessjose says:

Adam Warren or David Phelps are AAAA guys who will never make it here.They should trade one of those guys and resign Wang and Lowe.

12. TJ says:

Not too big on a catcher that can smack the ball in Coors Field. Montero could have done the same thing if not more had he been a Rockie.