Mar

3/13 Camp Notes: Almonte, Joseph, Hughes

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

(AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

The Yankees beat the Phillies on Wednesday night, extending their Grapefruit League winning streak to four games. They’ve outscored their opponents 16-3 during the four games. Derek Jeter played shortstop for the first time since having left ankle surgery in late-October, but he wasn’t tested at all. Not a single defensive play (that I remember). Oh well, it’s the thought that counts. He went 0-for-2 with a walk at the plate. Ichiro Suzuki singled twice while Kevin Youkilis and new Yankee Ben Francisco both doubled.

Andy Pettitte made his Spring Training debut with three innings of one-run ball, getting his pitch count up to right around 60. Mariano Rivera made his second appearance of the spring and fired off another perfect inning. Shawn Kelley struck out two in a perfect inning and has quietly struck out five against no walks in five innings in camp. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…

• RHP Adam Warren, OF Zoilo Almonte, and IF Corban Joseph were all sent to minor league camp. That’s notable because Almonte and Joseph had chances to made the big league team, albeit small ones. Ronnie Mustelier is still alive though. The Yankees still have 51 players in camp by my unofficial count. [Mark Feinsand]
  • As expected, Phil Hughes will throw live batting practice tomorrow. Pitching coach Larry Rothschild won’t reveal his schedule for the right-hander, but it seems like a simulated game could be next. [Joel Sherman]
  • This isn’t really a camp note, so the speak, but I recommend this Dan Barbarisi article on Mariano Rivera and Ivan Nova. It details how Rivera gave Nova a little kick in the behind and told him to work harder if he wants to keep his job.
  • The Yankees will be on the road in Dunedin to face the Blue Jays tomorrow, a game that will not be televised at all. The starter still hasn’t been announced, but it’s expected to beWarren or Jose Ramirez.
Categories : Spring Training

1. dkidd says:

it is high, it is far, it is……gone!

one if by land
    two if by sea
    ben revere gave that ball a midnight ride!

#wishhewereayankee

2. Laz says:

Sad that they want to give the starting 2B ab to Velazquez right now instead of cojo, or adams.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Is Adams even playing yet?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s not a huge deal to me. It’s not like either guy’s going to see time at 2B for the team this year. I can imagine Jeter appreciates getting some turns turning DPs with a defensively-minded guy as well.

3. jjyank says:

I saw that piece on Mo and Nova earlier. Just makes me love the guy even more for taking Nova under his wing. Mariano Rivera, you are a gentleman, a scholar, and the best relief pitcher to ever grace a baseball diamond.

Also, there’s this: “Rivera, who said he wants to work with minor leaguers when he retires after this season, is still trying to pay that forward, as he is doing with Nova.”

Please tell me that Mo is going to be with the Yankees forever as a pitching coordinator/coach. Please.

4. Moose14 says:

Mike, Jeter fielded a ground ball, got the force at second base, almost pulled off the DP

5. pat says:

Mariano is the fucking best. I will bawl his last game. Like a child.

• jjyank says:

As will I. Bernie was my favorite player, with Mo as a close second (still has my favorite pitcher ever status!). But it wasn’t hard for me to let Bernie go, since it was pretty clear that he was done. Assuming Mo is still at the top of his game (and I really see no reason to suggest otherwise), it’s going to make me real sad to see him walk away. Not that I blame him in the slightest, but still sad.

6. forensic says:

Derek Jeter played shortstop for the first time since having left ankle surgery in late-October, but he wasn’t tested at all. Not a single defensive play.

Yup, except for, you know, the one play he actually did have…

7. Moose14 says:

BTW, tell us again how washed up Ichiro is, I love when you do that

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Might want to wait and see how he does during the actual regular season before gloating.

He hit 415/479/634 last spring and then proceeded to suck for Seattle during the regular season.

• Dropped Third says:

Yea although he’s 38 I’m really excited to see what Ichiro can do in a full season with the Yanks. He could hit .240 or .300 and neither would shock me. Grandy, Gardy, and him will be fun to watch hawking some long fly balls this year though.

• forensic says:

I very high on Ichiro too. I’m not quite sure he’ll match the BA from his Yankees stint last year, but I could see the OBP and SLG in the same area, and could certainly see a career high in homers thanks to the porch. Combine that with his baserunning and defense, and I think he’ll be plenty valuable and pleasantly surprise many people.

That, or some of us will look like complete schmucks in a couple months for thinking he was still good. :-)

8. Robinson Tilapia says:

Kelley was #27 on the mound, I assume?

9. Moose14 says:

Thanks I’ll take your advice on the Wizard.Your not rooting against him are you? He seems motivated, already in great baseball shape, not to mention his baseball instincts are quite incredible. For the sake of the team, let’s hope you and Mike are wrong.

10. Bob Buttons says:

Today’s random name that can cause a few giggles

Yeicok (if pronounced the English way)

#bagofdicks

11. Moose14 says:

Great to hear, big day tomorrow, I’m hoping Ramirez if he pitches can continue to keep his scoreless streak intact. Ramirez gives me hope, should I be excited, or chill because it’s spring training?

• Crink says:

Chill chill chill, not only is it spring training, but he’s never pitched above A ball

• Ted Nelson says:

Ramirez has the stuff to get really excited about. Health/durability have been his problem. He’s kind of plateaued at around 100 innings or so. My guess is he could end up in the pen and succeed there.

12. Dalek Jeter says:

Idk if anybody else watched the Italy/Puerto Rico game earlier, but I was very disappointed by their lack of fundamentals. Seriously, in that 8th inning if the SS knew how to throw to third, the 1st baseman knew how to come off the bag to keep the ball in front of them, or the CF hit the fucking cut off man instead of throwing home they would have won the game easily.

• Bob Buttons says:

Lack of experience. If they were experienced major leaguers (or even minor leaguers in some cases) they’d learn what NOT to do during situations.

• I was rooting hard to Italy this WBC, glad to see that they went as far as they did, but it was disappointing that they lost both games the way that they did. Pretty sloppy play and poor BP management. I mean in an elimination game (and a pretty much an elimination game vs DR) you gotta use Grilli in the highest leverage spots.

On the bright side, Piazza shouldn’t have a hard time finding an MLB hitting coach job some time in the near future.

13. Stratman9652 says:

I remember when Nova was getting a bit to cocky in his interviews for a guy who was starting to get rocked on a pretty regular basis. I’m glad Mo set him straight. The kid has talent but it was pretty clear at the time that he had a pretty solid case of denial when it came to admitting that he needed to work on things.

14. Tony says:

Derek had a potential DP ground ball, an underhand toss to 2B. The batter beat out the relay to 1st. It was the 4th or 5th inn.