Mar

Hughes doing fine after latest throwing session

Via George King: Phil Hughes made 50 throws from 60-feet on flat ground yesterday as he works his way back from the bulging disk that sidelined him for roughly two weeks. “We amped up the intensity a bit and doubled the throws,” he said. “I didn’t feel anything (in my back). I felt like I lost a tick of arm strength. Hopefully that comes back quick, it’s only been two weeks. Hopefully I get that back and go from there.”

Hughes, 26, said he has been pain free for five days and expects to begin a long-toss program to rebuild that arm strength soon. The trainers and coaches have yet to tell him when that will happen though, and they don’t have any throwing planned for today or tomorrow. If Hughes doesn’t get back on a mound and in game conditions within the next 10-14 days or so, it’s unlikely he’ll be stretched out in time for what would have been his first start of the regular season.

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

Not a slam dunk in terms of good news, but it is progress.

2. Vern Sneaker says:

This is excellent news. It means it’ll be the second week of April, not the first, before I have to watch him give up a three-run game-tying home run in the sixth inning.

3. Betty Lizard says:

Is there some sort of 12-step, “How to like Phil Hughes” program I can join?

• Vern Sneaker says:

I do like his at-the-locker post-game earnest “I have to do better” statements. He seems so contrite, it’s hard not to forgive.

• Jim Is Bored says:

Step 1: Admit you don’t like Phil Hughes.
      Step 2 – 11: ???

9. google javier vazquez
        10. think happy thoughts, and remember Mo loves you
        11. be thankful that he is not #s 7 and 9

• gageagainstthemachine says:

Underpants Gnomes…I laughed.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Step 1. Look at his numbers last season, excluding April: 15-10, sub 4.00 ERA, 7.6 K/9.

Step 2. Understand that the homers are going to happen (from May on he allowed roughly 1 homer per start.)

Step 3. Realize he’s not an Ace. Or a “#2″ or even a “#3,” but he’s our fourth starter and he still gives us close to 200 innings of above average production.

Step 4. He’s cheap…

Step 5. Stop expecting him to be an ace.

Step 6. Like him or not, he’s helped us win a World Series.

Step 7. He’s probably gone after this season anyway.

I’m out of stuff.

• Mike HC says:

I have a 4 step program

Step 1 – Imagine he got traded to the NL West and turned into a Cy Young candidate

Step 2 – If you squint hard enough you can pretend we have a young Roy Halladay

Step 3 – Embrace the growing pains of homegrown young pitchers

Step 4 – Let go and Let Phil

4. Slade Heathbar says:

Whew, I was crying for the team to offer Hughesy something like a 3/33 mill before the season. For a pitcher on the right side of 30 it seems like a lot of dead arm/back issues have come up in the past couple years.

5. trr says:

not much love for Phil here

6. Jim Is Bored says:

Is anyone else having the site load the mobile version randomly?

7. Havok9120 says:

The Tigers fans on MLBTR have us trading Nova, Joba, and a mid-level prospect for Rick Porcello.

*giggle*

• gageagainstthemachine says:

Which is a healthy reminder…”never drink the water in Detroit.”

• Ed says:

The scary part is that trade was posted by a guy who goes by the name “YankeeBaseball”.

There was a Tiger fan that wants Joba to close for them. He seems to think they should give up “next to nothing” to get him.

• Havok9120 says:

Oh yeah, I know he was the first. But the guys that came to his defense…sheesh. It’s especially wearing when in the context of the other Porcello trade proposals coming out of Tigerland. It’s getting silly.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Funny.

What would be a fair offer for Porcello, though?

8. Mike HC says:

I get the feeling that Hughes arm will have to be dangling from a string for him to admit to any pain or problems from this point on. Millions of dollars depend on it.

9. voiceofirrationalrationale says:

Why has porcello become persona non grata in Detroit ? Seems to be firmly standing on the trading block. Money ? Couldn’t be. Detroit’s been spending cash like it’s monopoly money. Why would I want a guy that Detroit doesn’t (seemingly). I probably wouldn’t do phelps straight up for him.