Open Thread: 3/19 Camp NotesBy
The Yankees were held to just two hits — Brett Gardner single and Ichiro Suzuki double — in their loss to the Phillies this afternoon. The only other baserunners were Melky Mesa (walk) and Chris Stewart (error by Michael Young). Adam Warren started and allowed two runs on seven hits and a walk in 3.2 innings while Joba Chamberlain struck out the only man he faced. David Aardsma tossed a perfect inning with two strikeouts. Boone Logan also made his Grapefruit League debut, striking out two and allowing a bloop single in an inning work. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest from Tampa…
- Derek Jeter said he’s not concerned about the ankle stiffness that caused him to be scratched from the lineup this afternoon. “I’m not concerned because I was told this was going to happen,” he said. The Cap’n remains day-to-day. [Adam Berry]
- Meanwhile, Joe Girardi confirmed Jeter may serve as the DH on Opening Day, which is not at all surprising. The Yankees are playing the Red Sox and Jon Lester figures to start. They’ve been talking about DHing Jeter against lefties all spring. [Mark Feinsand]
- Logan and his barking elbow were scheduled to throw a simulated game today, but obviously he felt good enough to pitch in the game. “It feels good, period. It really does though, I promise,” said the left-hander. [Andy McCullough]
- Clay Rapada threw long-toss today as he tries to come back from a bout with shoulder bursitis. He doesn’t have any pain but it is becoming increasingly unlikely he will be ready in time for Opening Day. [Dan Barbarisi]
- The Yankees will welcome the Red Sox to Tampa tomorrow afternoon. Vidal Nuno gets the start while CC Sabathia throws in a minor league game. That game will be broadcast on YES, ESPN, and MLB.tv.
This is your open thread for the evening. All three hockey locals are in action plus Robinson Cano‘s Dominican Republic team will play Puerto Rico for the World Baseball Classic Title (8pm ET on MLB Network). Talk about any of that stuff and more here. Have at it.