Mar

Open Thread: 3/29 Camp Notes

(Photo via the Yankees)

Opening Day is a comin’. (Photo via the Yankees)

The Yankees made relatively quick work of the Nationals in Nationals Park this afternoon, winning the game behind strong work from Andy Pettitte (two runs in six innings) and the bullpen (scoreless innings from Joba Chamberlain, David Robertson and Mariano Rivera). Kevin Youkilis hit a solo homer while Eduardo Nunez plated two with a single. Nunez, Robinson Cano, and Vernon Wells each had two hits, including doubles for Cano and Wells. Here’s the box score and here’s the rest on the team…

• Vidal Nuno, Dan Johnson, Thomas Neal, Melky Mesa, Jim Miller, Preston Claiborne, Branden Pinder, Juan Cedeno, Bobby Wilson, Josh Spence, Jose Pirela, and Gil Velazquez were all sent to minor league camp. Nuno had an outside chance to grab a bullpen spot in the wake of Clay Rapada‘s injury. Sure seems like Adam Warren and Cody Eppley will open the season in the bullpen.
  • The Rivera farewell tour (unexpectedly) kicked off on Friday. The Nationals congratulated him on his career before today’s game and former bullpen-mate Rafael Soriano presented him with a signed Nationals #42 jersey. Neat. [James Wagner]
  • Mark Teixeira was taking ground balls with the team in D.C. today and hopes to begin swinging a bat two-handed in two weeks. He’s been swinging one-handed since Sunday and will have a checkup on his wrist on Monday. Teixeira says he expects to be back in a big league game by May 1st, which is … optimistic. [Andy McCullough & David Waldstein]
  • Derek Jeter will not do anything until Monday, Brian Cashman confirmed. They want to make sure he’s 100% with no lingering soreness before returning to baseball activities. [Dan Barbarisi]
  • Brennan Boesch took some ground balls at first base this afternoon — he played the position in high school and college — with some coaching tips from Teixeira. Looks like the Yankees are preparing him as an emergency first base option. [Barbarisi & McCullough]
  • Right-hander Diego Moreno is still rehabbing from Tommy John surgery but is expected to get into games soon. He was acquired from the Pirates in the A.J. Burnett trade last year. [Tim Williams]
  • Remember that Jose Mojica trade from earlier in the week? As it turns out, he was dealt to the Phillies for no compensation. Not surprising. [Josh Norris]
  • The Yankees will be in West Point for an exhibition game against Army on Saturday, their last meaningless game of 2013. Adam Warren gets the start and the game will be broadcast on YES.

Here is your open thread for the evening. The Devils, Knicks, and Nets are all playing, plus MLB Network will air some Spring Training game as well. Talk about any of that stuff and more. Enjoy.

1. Bob Buttons says:

To sum up the week of how people went nuts:

People were absolutely pissed how we traded for Vernon Wells.
    -Zero impact on payroll in 2014, supposedly.
    -We literally gave up nothing useful. An outfielder who can’t hit and a reliever. Definitely not Slade or Austin or Banuelos.
    -It was in wake (and what we got) from Teixeira’s WBC injury.

People were pissed how Adams was released.
    -A loser resigned his/her fandom.
    -There’s some chance (if not large) that he’d not play middle IF anymore. His bat is pretty bad for corner IF.
    -Resigned to minor league contract.

People went nuts and bitched on how certain people are trolls because they are optimistic.
    -There is no reason to think negativity is the objective truth.
    -Supposedly if good things go reasonably good we can still have an outside shot of wild card.
    -Either way this is not a “garden variety” team. It’s not like we would not get any more acquisition onwards.

2. Now Batting says:

Has Mustelier been optioned? Haven’t heard anything yet about him making the team or not.

3. Jerkface says:

He is not on the 40 man so he doesn’t need to be optioned. He is going to stay behind in Tampa to rehab his bone bruise. I hope when that heals up in a week or two they add him to the 40 and bring him up.

Nix is not an ideal platoon starter, genuine backup. I’d love Musty @ 3B and Youk @ 1b. Mustelier can play LF and RF too, so he is a pretty versatile guy.

• forensic says:

He would still need to be reassigned to minor league camp and it doesn’t appear he has been yet.

The only problem with him instead of Nix being on the roster is that he can’t play 2B.

Anyway, it’s clear they never really had any intention of really considering him for a roster spot. Even Girardi said he only had a very outside shot, even before all the ‘garbage’ was picked up.

• Jerkface says:

I’d carry Mustelier AND Nix. I’d drop 1 of Boesch/Ben Francisco. They dont need so many OFers.

Mustelier becomes the platoon 3B against LHP with Youk at first. Nix is the backup at 3B,SS,2B. Mustelier is the 5th OFer in LF and RF. Nunez is the starting SS.

• forensic says:

Ah, that’d be good with me. But again, they made it abundantly clear that they want nothing to do with him on the team.

• Jersey Joe says:

Out of Boesch/Francisco, it should be without a doubt Francisco who is dropped. Way more upside.

4. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Wonder who gets the roster axe to make room for Overbay.

5. dalelama says:

The reality is this is the worse starting day line-up in 20 years. We have no promising youngsters on the 25 man roster nor any in AAA that will make a meaningful impact anytime soon. Our “ace” is returning from surgery as is our 43 y/o stopper and our #’s 2 and 3 are 38 and 40, respectively. Our #4 has blown out his back and both our candidates for #5 looked very unimpressive in spring training.

Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

• forensic says:

How was Phelps very unimpressive?

• MannyGeee says:

“Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”

Too soon….

• Bob Buttons says:

Worst starting day line-up barely means anything other than two of our middle-lineup guys are on the DL.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

I usually ignore your inane comments because I don’t think it’s nice to mock someone with a double digit IQ, but after a couple of scotch’s, I don’t feel the need to ignore you. Every statement you made demonstrated your total lack of understanding of the game and this team.

CC has the highest winning percentage in Yankees history after 100 decisions, so your including ace in quotation marks highlights your stupidity and ignorance. And he didn’t have reconstructive shoulder surgery, he had his elbow cleaned out.

The 43 year old “stopper”, the greatest closer in the history of the game, had knee fucking surgery, nothing to do with his arm. Most observers who don’t have brain impairments believe he won’t miss a beat.

The #2 and 3 pitchers are indeed a year older than they were last year, as is every other person on the planet. What’s your point?

It’s anticipated that Hughes will miss one fucking start!

While it’s true that Nova hasn’t looked good this spring, Phelps has pitched to a 1.28 WHIP over 28 innings. I’ll bet all 29 other MLB teams would take that from their 5th starter.

I’m sure I speak for many when I say that I would be very happy never to see another of your horrendously stupid comments on RAB.

• Jersey Joe says:

Yeah, Paul Konerko is the same age as Hiroki Kuroda, and nobody gives a crap about his age. If someone gets one year older, then get over it.

• forensic says:

Konerko is a year younger than Kuroda.

And either way, it’s not unreasonable to be somewhat concerned about Pettitte and Kuroda. They are the oldest and 3rd oldest starting pitchers in baseball.

• forensic says:

Well, some of what he said actually has some truth to it. Just not nearly to the point that he’s trying to take it to.

• dalelama says:

SWD

You should really follow the sage advice that it is better to be thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt. CC’s post season ERA of 4.53 and WHIP of 1.556 isn’t really ace material. Don’t get me wrong CC is a nice pitcher but doesn’t really shut the door in the post season like the big boys.

If you want to get off on Phelps 4.18 ERA this spring go ahead. You been impressed by Phelps I haven’t been. Everything is factually correct and if you could just put down the bottle a minute to let your whiskey soaked mind detox you would realize it.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

CC’s postseason ERA with the Yankees is 3.50, fwiw.
          Just out of boredom, who are the “big boys” of which you speak?

(current “aces” only)

• Get Phelps Up says:

CC is basically the reason the Yankees won the ALDS last season. He was also great in the 2009 playoffs and helped the Yankees stave off elimination for a day in 2010.

You’re failing epically if you’re trying to gain more credibility here.

• Jersey Joe says:

OK, in 20 years, Zolio Almonte will be 46.

6. Big Member says:

I am 99.99% sure that we will see Halladay, Utley and the corpse of Michael Young in Yankees uniform in July.

7. MannyGeee says:

I had an epiphany on my hour long drive home today. FHOF Ronnier Mustelier had the most outside of outside chances to make the team as a RHDH/fill inCIF in the wake of A Rod and Tex’s injuries, despite his real strong spring.

But playing meaningful innings against actual MLB pitchers would have found a real hole in his swing, and seeing true hitters would have really exposed the patchwork defense he (allegedly) sports. Despite all this, if you think Ronnier Huggers were bad last season, people would have went absolutely “White Republican Dudes Shitting on Obama” mad if Ben Francisco made the team and Ronnier didn’t…

Hurting his knee and subsequently not making the team in spring is the best possible scenario for both Ronnier AND Cashman. The Jesus works in mysterious way, I guess.

Now, I realize this is a lot of speculation, but you have to admit people would be PISSED if FHOFRM didn’t make the team considering the circumstances. FWIW I would have liked to see him go north with the Big Club, but I don’t think it was happening regardless of the knee… They were giving him every chance to hang himself, and I think he did just enough to not let that happen.

• Barry says:

“White Republican Dudes Shitting on Obama”: These types of statements are self-serving and ignorant.

• MannyGeee says:

OK Barry, I’ll bite:

1. Yeah, because your response and 20Million FB posts a day about our president the terrorist aren’t… Lighten up Francis

2. I was a joke, so again… Lighten up Francis.

3. I made a real solid poin based on an epiphany I had, and all you have to contribute is “your political joke was stooooopid”? Atta way to shit in the punch bowl dude.

8. Vern Sneaker says:

DEFINITELY drop Francisco for Musty as soon as he’s healed.

9. jjyank says:

Damn it. Really wish I remembered to get tickets for today’s game. Would have been my last chance to see Mo. Unless I get a career related opening in September, but I can’t bank on that.

• Barry says:

I hate the NYS but I’m going to go many times this year just to see Mo. May even streak the field in nothing but my birthday suit and the 42 jersey.

• USA says:

A true Yankee fan would not have forgotten to get tickets. You’re just a casual fan, which is why you’re fine with how the off-season went.

To you, if the Yankees win great if they lose or well, more time you can spend thinking about ex-girlfriends. Remember this everyone when this VERY casual fine tells you what he thinks about anything Yankee related.

10. KeithK says:

No compensation at all for Mojica? He literally wasn’t even worth the proverbial bag of balls?

11. Craig says:

On a scale of 1-10 how likely do you believe the following players will be Yankees within the next 12 months?

Utley
    Beltran
    Cano
    Stanton
    Alex Rodriguez
    Ruiz
    Vargas

12. Kramerica Industries says:

“their last meaningless game of 2013″

God we hope so.

13. Hoss says:

The offseason isn’t over yet, and Cashman still has the potential to make another dumb move, like last year’s winner with the Giants.
    Beware the return of Chad Gaudin. Jason Bay would be another headline grabber.

14. forensic says:

The Orioles added Freddy Garcia and Scott Proctor today.

Season’s over…

15. Ralph Blanca says:

Exhale, prospect huggers. David Adams has re-signed with the Yankees. O.K. now?

16. Eddard says:

I think I’m the only one who is optimistic about this ballclub. The Yankees usually don’t get off to a good start anyway. Pitching will be ahead of hitting early on which is to our advantage. This is one of the best starting staffs in baseball.

Andy was money until he suffered that freak injury. Mo also suffered a freak injury. People want to bury this guys and say, well they got hurt last year so it’s bound to happen again this year. One was hit by a line drive in the ankle and the other was hurt shagging fly balls.

Cano is good enough to carry the offense for a month until reinforcements arrive. Gardner is in a contract year ready for redemption after last year’s lost season. Ichiro and Youk still have something left to offer. Hafner is going to mash in YS. C is a dead spot in the lineup but it is for most teams. Jorge Posadas don’t come around very often. We saw what potential Nuney has in the postseason vs Verlander.

And why are the Jays, Os, Sox and Rays considered such sure things? Rays offense is worse than ours, Sox pitching isn’t is good, Os played above their ability last year and the Jays are going to have to mesh together. The Angels made all those moves last year and the As beat them out. I’ll be at work for the opener on Monday so I’ll be listening intently to John Sterling for that first “Well, you know Suzyn, you just can’t predict baseball.”

• Bob Buttons says:

I’m guessing the rest of us optimistic folks are just air to ya. But go ahead, better you making your somewhat reasonable statements than more whining from the SKY’S FALLING bandwagon.

• Eddard says:

Didn’t know you were one of the optimistic ones, Bob. I see so much doom and gloom here and not a pitch has been thrown yet. If I’ve got the lineup below, that’s not a bad lineup. Against LHP I put Nuney at SS and DH Jeter. They’ve got to hold serve until Jeter, Teixera and Granderson return. Last year people were saying that you don’t win the division in April. You don’t lose it either.

Gardner
        Jeter
        Cano
        Teixera
        Granderson
        Youk
        Hafner
        Ichiro
        Stewart/Cervelli

• Now Batting says:

You’re right that’s not a bad lineup. Thing is, even if everyone currently slated to start on opening day stays healthy it will be at least two months before we ever see that lineup. Cashman admitted there’s a 30% chance Teix will need season ending surgery. Granderson will hopefully be ok but forearms/wrists are tricky. I chalk those two injuries up to bad luck though.

The problem is the guys who will have to step up and try and fill their shoes have had problems staying on the field. In the past 5 years Hafner eclipsed 100 games once (118). Youkilis has played in 102, 120, and 122 games in the last three years. Maybe they’ll stay healthy, but I don’t like planning on hope.

• Bob Buttons says:

Well half the time I’m whining about some irrelevant stuff so yeah.

I’d actually not mind that lineup, but obviously Girardi will bat Gardner on the bottom and somehow bat Granderson second (or some other stupid crap). If I was in charge maybe I’d swap the catcher with Ichiro. I love my L/R/L/R and my second lead-offs at 9 hole.

But yeah, if things don’t go wrong that lineup would certainly do better than BAL, TB and maybe BOS.

• forensic says:

That’s not really a bad lineup, but 1 of the 9 spots is the not great catcher spot and 5 of the other 8 spots have big questions regarding getting injured or fully recovering to previous levels after being injured. That leaves you with Gardner who basically missed all of last year and needs to avoid injuries this year (really, he could be included with the other 5 guys) and Ichiro who, though I’m optimistic on him, is a little bit of a question mark production-wise.

Of course, the other lineups in the division have questions too, but I’m not judging them, I’m only looking at the Yankees questions right now and it stretches to 8 of the 9 lineup spots.

• forensic says:

Not to mention that this lineup may not even appear in the regular season until a third of the year is done, if it even does appear at all.

• forensic says:

Nobody expects Mo to get hurt again, but Pettitte hasn’t had a full season since 2009. Expecting something to happen to him isn’t exactly unrealistic.

Gardner isn’t in a contract year, he’s still under control next season too.

I also think the starting rotation has gotten a little overrated as people have tried to compensate for knowing they’re going to have less offense. They’re a good rotation, but I’m not so sure they’re quite as incredible as people are making them out to be.

• Eddard says:

I don’t think they’re overrated. The top 3 are as good as you’ll find in baseball. I would never bet against Andy. He’s proven time and time again that he can come back and pitch at an above average level. Nova and Hughes are the wildcards. The potential is there for both. Hughes is in a contract year.

17. Buhner's barber says:

Does anyone think the Aardsma DFA was a preparation for the 2014 budget. I mean this in the sense that even though he himself didn’t have any ramifications for next year, this gives the team the opportunity to a nice long look at a few pitchers who will be under team control for next year, namely Kelley and Warren.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Yeah, I’d imagine that remaining years of team control, as well as the added flexibility of Kelley having options remaining, may have factored into the decision.

• forensic says:

Eh, I mean it’s certainly possible, but they had a ton of places they could’ve made moves with that same motivation in mind and didn’t do it in any of them. Apparently Girardi just wanted a multi-inning guy or another specialist so he can possibly overdo his mixing and matching.

• George W Bush says:

Cash had to have some input on this too, no? They’ve been so patient with the guy, one would think they’d at least want to see how he looks in a big league game. Really weird that cash would be down for this, aardsma could’ve been another aging miracle for them

• forensic says:

Certainly Cashman would have input, but it wouldn’t have been too hard for Girardi or someone to convince him that they really did have basically a bunch of mostly one-inning guys outside of the long man that you can’t use all that often in that sort of spot.

18. Robinson Tilapia says:

Didn’t get to comment on this earlier, but put me in the camp of those perplexed by the Aardsma move. The team paid for him to rehab for an entire season, he pitched well in Spring Training, and he has a closer’s pedigree. You absolutely give a guy like the benefit of the doubt, and a look, before you put fungible relievers like Kelley and Eppley on your roster. It’s not a huge deal, no, but its certainly an odd one and one I don’t agree with.

Even if he’s a one-inning guy, at this point, it’s hard for me to understand how a team with several openings couldn’t find a spot for him.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’ll assume that, through the Troll Filter, that reads as “TEH YANKEEZ NEVER DO NUTHIN WRONG.”

• USA says:

Wow first good take you have had all winter. Maybe with the warmer temps, your IQ is going up as well.

• Nice Guy Eddie says:

Yeah what the hell? Totally dumbfounded, if they need guys to throw multiple innings then why did they send Vidal down? I really hope that this wasn’t a famous Yankee make up type move.

• Dalek Jeter says:

I think it’s got a little bit to do with what Buhner’s barber said above you: giving guys like Warren and Kelley, who are going to be here in some respect next year, an early trial or audition to see how they handle big league hitters, and maybe get an early look as to whether Warren can start and what Kelley’s capable of. I also think another part of it is what I like to call “Cory Wade Syndrome,” managers, not just Girardi, tend to build a trust towards pitchers and regardless of actual ability (Cody Eppley this season) or on field performance (Cory Wade last season, Jose Veras and Brian Bruney in seasons passed). Managers will keep going to the well because they believe that this guy can get the outs. While a guy like Aardsma hasn’t pitched in 2 years now, given the choice Girardi would request the guy who has done it for him as recently as last season in Eppley. Just my two cents.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It does fly in the face of how the rest of the team was built. Mesa, Musty, etc. sit in AAA (injury notwithstanding) as depth while vets get the first shot.

To me, you keep Kelley and Eppley in AAA and give Aardsma the first shot.

• Hoss says:

Not that this move is going to make or break the Yankee season, but maybe Cashman fucked up. He’s been known to do that before, you know?

19. OldYanksFan says:

Justin Verlander and the Detroit Tigers have reached agreement on a new contract. Verlander’s deal, which would make him the highest-paid pitcher in the game, is for seven years (2013 – 2019) and worth $180 million, sources said. A vesting option for an eighth year could push the deal to $202 million.

That’s an AAV of $25.7m…. for a Pitcher.
    Just Wow!
    He only needs to average about 6 WAR/yr for 7 years to be worth the money.

• forensic says:

I certainly would’ve given that contract to him too, dude is just a machine.

Posey’s extension, on the other hand, would concern me. Essentially 9 years for a catcher in the non-DH league who has already had a major knee injury. Even though he’s awesome, that’s really scary.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I’m fairly confident that he’ll move to 1B full time within the next 5 years.

• forensic says:

Most likely, but even that is still scary to me. He had 3 years of control left. I understand a little of the upside for them, and obviously the face of the franchise part of it, but that sure is giving him a ton of extra when they still had 3 control years left.

• Now Batting says:

He did just turn 26. Long term contracts are always scary but if you’re going to give one out at least you’re locking up all his prime years.

20. forensic says:

I was just curious in terms of facing him on opening day so I checked out Lester’s ST numbers.

Wow, was he good this spring, for what it’s worth. 24 innings, 8 hits, 2 runs (0.75 ERA), 4 walks, 20 strikeouts.

• forensic says:

Geez, Buchholz too (game 2 of the season): 22.2 innings, 12 hits, 2 runs (0.79 ERA) on 2 solo HR, 6 walks, 22 strikeouts.

What got into the water in Fort Myers???

• dkidd says:

red sox will be good this year

damn it

• forensic says:

Sure, they’ll certainly be better than last year, it’d be hard not to be, but like many other teams they still have questions. Lackey is in their rotation which could be dangerous (for them). They also have Doubront in the rotation who everyone (except the Yankees) seemed to be able to hit pretty well last season. I’m also not sold on Dempster handling the AL and the AL East in particular and it’s not like Buchholz was good last year either. Lester will likely be fine though, possibly Buchholz too but to a lesser extent. Their offense also isn’t quite where it had been in the past, and they desperately need Ortiz back and healthy.

21. MarcAnthony says:

Earlier today I mailed the contract and check to the licensing company that owns “Godspell”.

We should be getting the scripts three months before the date of the show.

Getting the money and contract in hand, putting them in the envelope, and sending them, is when it finally hit me. We did it. We really did it.

I’m as surprised as you. I can’t believe it.

22. Monterowasdinero says:

AJ pitching to Martin in Pittsburgh’s opening day Monday. Times change.

23. Hoss says:

From mlbtr.com:

When asked if there were any attractive outside options available, Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman responded, “We’ll see. You don’t have to be attractive right now,” tweets Andy McCullough of the Star-Ledger.

McCullough should have specifically referred to “baseball” in his question. As far as outside options, we all know that Cashman’s standards are already pretty low.

24. mt says:

I normally am not one with conspiracy theories like this but David AArdsma always struck me as strange as a Yankee – he had absolute Twitter pottymouth – constant, incessant commenting on everything, including cultural and even political issues – I even think I saw some political commentary (there was one specifically negative about Obama I think – not that it offended me but just the fact that he as a Yankee ballplayer would comment on that.) Joba and Phil and Tex comment a lot also but a lot of it is more innocous about what they (or Joba’s son) are doing or some sports game reaction to basketball/hockey or some promotional tie-in like Texeira’s sports chat website or something that is not controversial – like Tex giving a shout out to his Harlem RBI charitable effort, for example.

To me who normally is pretty laid back about that stuff it got so bad that I consciously tried to not read any tweet that said “DA53″.

Then there were Girardi’s comments – “he didn’t fit” – which I found strange since we have never heard that Aardsma was slated to be multi inning (especially when there was alweays going to be a Nova/Phelps loser long man or now long man Warren in that role since Hughes injury means both Nova and Phelps start.)

I also was not as impressed by his pitching as others although I remember one dreary spring training game on ESPN when Orel Hershisher was raving about Aardsma’s stuff during an appearance.

• Hoss says:

David’s wife was also on one of those crime shows on the ID channel, Love Scorned, 24 Hours, something of that sort, as a witness to a criminal matter. She was identified as a Yankee wife, and it showed a picture of David pitching. Not good.

25. Kosmo says:

Teams looking for relief pitching might be willing to trade for Aardsma before the 10 days expire and/or he could be included in a deal to land another player for example Cuddyer or Colvin, Gaby Sanchez or Garret Jones and of course he might just be released.

• mt says:

If Yanks could pull it off, I would trade Aardsma plus one of the outfielders on 40 man (Mesa or Almonte) for the best first baseman type from another organization they can get (probably an OK prospect who did not have to be on the Yanks 40 man). Overbay still needs to get a 40 man spot (which would be the traded outfielder in my scenario).

I don’t like that currently Dan Johnson is the only AAA depth behind Overbay now that Juan Rivera is gone. I also feel comfortable with still having 2 out of the 3 outfielders Mesa, Almonte, and Neal. Of the 3, I would not trade Neal but that is just based on his ST performnace where he seemed to have some promise with the bat while Mesa was more hit or miss.

I saw that they were trying Boesch out at 1B with some ground ball practice – that’s good – we need to be careful not to overuse the injury-prone Youkilis at 3B and 1B just because the 25 man roster does not have a natural 1b back-up on bench – maybe Boesch can eventually fake it for a couple of innings at 1B here and there.

The only other scenario I see is either Grandy or Tex is put on 60 day DL for June 1 possible return. If so, I don’t think either of them will like it – Tex is talking May 1 return (take that with a grain of salt; Yanks will be more cautious, I’m sure) and I get feeling Grandy thinks he will be back in early May (with pending free agency). Maybe Tex is best choice since WBC is paying his salary while on DL and he is out for year if he reinjures and needs surgery.

26. Monterowasdinero says:

What about Brandon Snyder on Texas (last year) and now AAA for them, last I heard. 1b/3b/LF with some pop in his righty bat…