Mar

Open Thread: 3/4 Camp Notes

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

(AP Photo/Charlie Neibergall)

The Yankees were off on Monday and it was a full day off — no bullpens, no simulated games, no batting practice, no fielding drills, nothing. Robinson Cano and bench coach Tony Pena were at George M. Steinbrenner Field for a workout with Team Dominican Republic in advance of the World Baseball Classic, but that’s all. Everyone will reconvene tomorrow and play the Braves at 7pm ET.

The big news of the day, which you’ve surely heard by now, is that Brian Cashman suffered a broken right fibula and dislocated right ankle while skydiving with the Army Golden Knights this morning. He had/will have surgery at some point today and blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda. The GM having to spend a few weeks on crutches is no big deal. The good news is the broken ankle likely brought even greater awareness to the Wounded Warriors Project, which is why Cashman was jumping in the first place. Sucks for him but good in general.

Anyway, here is your open thread for the evening. The Devils and Knicks are both playing tonight, plus MLB Network will be airing some baseball as well. First Spring Training and then the World Baseball Classic overnight. Talk about any of those games or anything else here. Enjoy.

1. Nick says:

Its pretty BS that we don’t get MSG in CT

2. I am still trying to wrap my head around how awesome The Walking Dead was last night.

3. Jacob the OG says:

One thing(of so many) I love about baseball is that almost every day they have a game so you can get over a loss fast (if they don;t lose again). But in basketball they play like every other day and it sucks so damn bad.

• Nick says:

yeah, my freind keeps trying to get me into the NBA and I just cant do it

• yeah there is just too much scoring in basketball for me to be interested, it just makes it that all you have to watch is the last minute of the game. Worst out of the 4 major sports in my opinion.

• Bob Buttons says:

THANK YOU! I keep telling people that basketball is so much easier to overcome a deficit because of so much scoring, that it’s semi-useless to watch the first three and a half quarter or so.

I’ve played video games of all four major sports (because I can’t say I watch NBA), and I have to say, NBA bores me.

• I am also not a fan of the “thug” image that the NBA and its players give off. Also anything that Stephan A. Smith covers has to be awful.

• Bob Buttons says:

As a somewhat wimpy and wuss honest rule-following guy (I don’t even jaywalk!) I have to say that ain’t helping much either. Way to promote semi-delinquency NBA!

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

“Kobe is a friend, a dear friend. But he has got to hold onto the basketball. Kobe, when you’re thinking about passing, remember what you told me that night at the top of the Empire State Building: ‘never let go’”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

MARIO CHALMERS SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO HAVE THE ARMS TO DRIBBLE A BASKETBALL WITH!!!!

I love Jay Pharoah.

I do love Stephen A., but he truly often is an imitation of Jay’s imitation of himself.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

That “thug” image died a long time ago. The Iverson’s of the world are no longer the faces of the league.

• Now Batting says:

I still play a lot of baseball, basketball, and flag football. Nowhere will you see more delicate egos than in a basketball playground game. It’s unreal.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

That’s because of of the nature of the game. It’s more up close and personal than the the other two sports.

It has nothing to do with a thug image though. Egos exists in all sports.

• The Big City of Dreams says:

No hockey is the worst

• The Big City of Dreams says:

The game is better now than it was in the 2000s thanks to them opening up the game and stars like Lebron, Durant, CP3, etc.

4. Barry's Gift Basket says:

Amen to that! we gotta have pitching this year!

trr’d

5. Havok9120 says:

As much fun as everyone has had talking about the “awful” offseason here in Yankeeland, the Rangers…yikes.

• Nick says:

I actually think its overblown. they add Profar, but yeah how do you not trade Andrus and Olt for Upton?

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

I don’t think they even had to trade both to get Upton. Don’t really know what the Rangers long term plans are for Profar and Andrus, seems like it would’ve been a good chance to trade one for a big bat or arm this year.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

That’s an awesome name.

• Nick says:

if they could have traded Olt for upton they would have done it. I don’t see where he is gonna play

• Deathstroke Heathcott says:

They offered Olt but the SSs were off the table as well as some of their other pitching prospects. I would’ve offered up Olt + a pitching prospect to get it done if I were the Rangers; their infield is getting crowded as is.

• Havok9120 says:

Plus their rotation isn’t the strongest and they seem to lack much depth at let, let alone MLB-ready depth. And the drama out of their FO (which certainly seems the most overblown) is pretty loud.

I’m not overly familiar with any teams outside of the Yanks, but the Rangers seem to be built with at least as much duct tape and wishful thinking as we are.

6. trr says:

Nobody believes me when I tell them how awesome that show is, people seem to think it’s just a gore-fest…Mike, you may not see Lennie James again anytime soon….kinda like A-rod

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

The gore fests are the good part…

The writers don’t have to write and the actors not named Lennie James don’t have to act during the gore fests, so it avoids all of the show’s weaknesses.

7. Nick says:

anybody have a good baseball podcast, now that they stopped doing baseball today?

8. MannyGeee says:

Doesn’t it seem like we should be reading some catty half witted jokes at Brian Cashmans expense around now? OK I’ll start:

“Last time Brian had such an ill fated crush, it ended up costing us Melky Cabrera and Adrolis Vizciano…”

OK I’ll show myself out.

9. KeithK says:

ESPN is reporting that Jose Cano (Robinson’s dad) said that he hopes his son will spend his whole career with the Yankees and thinks he will get a six or seven year deal. It’s too bad that Boras is Robbie’s agent and not Jose. If the team can somehow sign him to only a six year deal it will be a great day in Yankee-ville. If I were GM I’d be willing to pay a bit extra to avoid being committed beyond his 36 year old season.

• MannyGeee says:

Yeah dude. Completely agree. There are less than a dozen guys I would say “screw the budget, he’s got to be a Yankee”. Cano at 6 years tops that list.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah. The Yankees are the Yankees because they don’t let homegrown superstars/possible HOFers walk.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Exactly.

My money’s very much in the camp of him being a Yankee for the rest of his damn life.

• MannyGeee says:

Alex Rodriguez says hello.

I would hate a life without Robinson Cano. That said, I would have to have a 39 year old Robinson Cano wandering around the area of 2B because we had to have him back… Here’s to hoping he ages as gracefully as his boy Derek Jeter.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

A-Rod wasn’t homegrown. In ’07 he had spent more time on the Mariners than the Yankees. Losing him would have been crappy for the team, but I would have been fine emotionally.

Losing Robbie would be a blow.

• Bob Buttons says:

Well not everybody is a nice guy like Tom Brady.

• Mike HC says:

At least it is nice to see his family is actually giving him some good advice.

10. ColoYank says:

Haven’t read anything about a team activity on this full off-day. Does anyone know of any pool or video games that may have been scheduled?

11. Pat D says:

Undertaker……has returned.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Punk still does the straight edge thing?

• Pat D says:

That’s the first time I heard him mention it in quite some time.

• Dalek Jeter says:

When he first started on SciFi’s ECW with the Killswitch Engage song that was his thing. He was the “Straight Edge Super Star,” and part of the act was he got other people clean and blah-blah-blah.

• Pat D says:

Yea, I know that. But I really hadn’t heard him mention the term “straight edge” since the Straight Edge Society group ended and he took over the Nexus a few years ago.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

It’s never not been a part of his character, even dating back to ROH. I’m pretty sure he also is in real life.

• Pat D says:

It just hasn’t been his defining characteristic for like 2 1/2 years. They morphed it into the whole “Best in the World” gimmick.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, absolutely. It just has never been fully dropped, like Ryback being a wrestling cowboy and Edge and Christian being brothers. Also, Kofi Kingston the Jamaican.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Also, Undertaker looks old as shit.

12. MannyGeee says:

Reason #1,853,499 that its better to be a professional ball player:

Zolio Almonte has not even sniffed the major leagues yet, and he has his name stitched on his glove.

That. Is. Fucking. Dope.

13. mrdbag says:

I have a question I was watching the Bo Jackson special and George Steinbrenner tried to sign him to the Yankees when he was in high school. How couldche have signed him without his being subject to the draft? Then why did the Yankees not draft Jackson when they had a chance

14. Yogiism says:

Good write up in the Daily News coming from Jose Cano. There is a lot to Cano’s father being a significant influence with regards to how Robinson goes about his contract status. Sure, Boras is barking in his ear to go to the open market and have a few teams bid against another, but it’s a slippery slope and it’s comforting to hear Jose’s opinion on this. While we’ve all been witness to sizable differences in money changing a players tune quickly, I honestly don’t see the Dodgers handing out $250mm. As I’ve said all along, I’ve pegged the Cubs as being the Yanks biggest threat with Cano. Don’t ask me why. Just a few intangible reasons I think this, including who’s in their front office. That all said, was there any real speculation to what the Yanks exactly offered Cano recently? I’ve been very wary of going to high, but at this point, why not put a 7 year $162mm deal on the table?

• Yogiism says:

P.S. Youk landed a bad ass apt in Battery Park!

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Maybe I’ll see him around. One of my favorite walks in NYC.

• Yogiism says:

Yep. He’s on the northside, but agree. One of the better places to go. My lady and I have been seeing movies at the Regal down there and then to shake shack after. The theater is cleaner and never packed like everywhere else in the city.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We used to go there before they built that massive building right in front of the movie theater. Cool, but still feels strange. The Winter Garden has always been one of my favorite structures in NYC. The walk along that promenade (and, at this point, straight up Hudson River Park) is such a nice one. The tourists don’t even bother past where Battery Park ends. You get all the beauty and, mostly, just locals.

• Bob Buttons says:

Somebody’s a tad late to the punch. But 23M/yr won’t get it done if it’s only 7 years.

15. Cool Lester Smooth says:

In case anybody didn’t see it on last night’s open thread, Big Member made an RAB fantasy league and there are still a bunch of empty slots.

• Pat D says:

I have no intention of submitting myself for Big Member’s approval. Especially since I have no interest in anal fantasy.

16. The Fighting Chicken says:

Probably not true but worth noting…

• Yogiism says:

I call BS. You know why? Granderson is on that list. That’s how I can immediately tell its false. The author thought he could pull one by the people, likely because of his power/HR production, but failed by not knowing who Curtis Granderson really is as a person. For starters; he is one of the most well educated players in the game, an international ambassador for the sport and has served on the MLBPA since 2006. Curtis testing positive for PEDs is about as likely as me winning the $100 million mega this week.

• The Fighting Chicken says:

I agree. With his position in the game, taking PEDs would be flat out stupid. I also think you could point to the shear physical aspect. Sure he’s hit a ton of homers but it’s not like he’s hitting bombs out of death valley. Also, he’s still one of the “scrawnier” players in the MLB despite his gaudy power numbers.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Oh, I don’t think it’s about Granderson’s standing and whatnot. I just look at that site and don’t see how anything legitimate could come out of it. Melky was probably a complete coincidence. It also didn’t hurt that Melky suddenly looked like a Dominican Bond villian.

• MannyGeee says:

Completely agree. He is the 2nd least likely player I would expect to see suspended for PEDs, behind Jeter.

Cano however? that’s…. interesting.

• Yogiism says:

People tried making the Cano connection after Melky was initially busted last year and it went no where. I’ll admit, I was concerned at the time, but nothing came of it, so why now? As you and I agree, just having Granderson mentioned puts the legitimacy of that entire article at minus .01%.

• Mike HC says:

Least likely Yankees using PED’s in my opinion are, in order, Jeter, CC, Stewart and Youk. Everyone else is suspect I tell ya!

• Anthony says:

This.

• Mike HC says:

I also think it is BS but I don’t think Granderson using PED’s is far fetched at all. Just my opinion and I certainly respect your opinion as well. Can’t lie that the rumor is a bit worrisome though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I agree that citing someone’s moral standing as the reason the story is false is a bit silly. There’s a few other glaring reasons the story’s false, though.

• Anthony says:

I saw this on PSB and had a heart attack.

17. The Big City of Dreams says:

Has anyone ever heard of a website called Dog and Pony Show aka DAPS? If so are they reliable? Apparently they broke the Melky story a month or so in advance? I’m not going to post the story they currently broke but it’s another steroid one involving 3 of our players

18. Steve says:

Anybody see this earlier? Can’t say I put too much stock in it, but that would be quite a bombshell if true.

19. RobA says:

Although the inclusiin of Grandy almost gives it an edge of plausibility to me, in the sense that it’s SO impluasible that it might be true. The argument could be made that if the guy was just completely talking out of his ass, he would never choose Grandy as a guy to name. Also, he isnt needed at al to give the story “pizazz”. Braun, Cano or even Arod ALONE would be a big story. He doesnt need to throw Grandy in the mix just to get people to notice.

Although maybe hes just a moron?

Dont get me wrong, I think its BS and I am about 99% sure its not true……..but not 100%.

• Yogiism says:

I’ll front you the difference btw 99% and 100% with no interest to ensure you its false.

• MannyGeee says:

You know what?

I would even buy a report saying “Source: Granderson, Braun, Cano & A-Rod named in another bullshit report”… but we are jumping right to “getting suspended”.

Sorry, no dice.

20. Robinson Tilapia says:

FAHN-DAHN-GO.

Instant superstar.

21. RobA says:

OTOH If Cano was juicing wouldnt he be extremely likely to take the Yanks offer? Would he tske the risk of holding out for another $25 million?

Hypotheticall how much would a positive test cost hin? $100 million? $150 million?

• Yogiism says:

It would be debilitating to Cano’s contract situation. I actually couldn’t even speculate what the result would be. He would sign somewhere in 14, that’s for sure, but I have to imagine that no team wouldn’t expose themselves for more than 2 years.

• MannyGeee says:

If Cano got popped it would cost him a cool $150M. Meaning he would likely sign at like $10-12M instead of $20-25M, and no one is gonna float him 8 seasons coming off a PED suspension.

So maybe 5/65? instead of 8/250…

22. RobA says:

sorry for typos, Im on my phone and have fat thumbs

23. Robinson Tilapia says:

Someone compares “Dog and Pony Show” to the Miami New Times in 3…2…

24. free speech aka 189 says:

sign cano before the season starts, or trade him….6 years at 28 a pop.that is a ton of money for a guy who does not run to first.

25. Pistol Pete says:

How are the Yankees going to score enough runs to compete in the AL East. We only have two starting outfielders both fast, both singles hitters, one coming off an entire season of injury the other is 39. The third outfielder will come from minor leaguers and previously released players from other teams, there is no bench outfielder with major league experience presently signed. We do not have a catching option that can hit. Our first baseman is in decline our HOF SS is coming off major surgery and is 38 and our 3b hit 234 last year and hasn’t hit much since leaving the friendly confines of Fenway. Our DH is an over the hill former juicer.

• petes pistol samwich says:

How are the Yankees going to score enough runs to compete in the AL East. We only have two starting outfielders both fast, both singles hitters, one coming off an entire season of injury the other is 39. The third outfielder will come from minor leaguers and previously released players from other teams, there is no bench outfielder with major league experience presently signed. We do not have a catching option that can hit. Our first baseman is in decline our HOF SS is coming off major surgery and is 38 and our 3b hit 234 last year and hasn’t hit much since leaving the friendly confines of Fenway. Our DH owns a bitchin juicer.

• Grilled Cheese Sandwich says:

How are the Yankees going to score enough runs to compete in the AL East. We only have two starting outfielders both fast, both singles hitters, one coming off an entire season of injury the other is 39. The third outfielder will come from minor leaguers and previously released seamen from other guys, there is no bench outfielder with major league experience presently signed. We do not have a catching option that can hit. Our first baseman is in decline our HOF SS is coming off major surgery and is 38 and our 3b hit 234 last year and hasn’t hit much since leaving the friendly confines of Fenway. Our DH owns a bitchin juicer.

26. Nick says:

anybody got a favorite for the WBC?

27. RobA says:

Just going o er Grandys career at BR. I hate to say it, but if we leave out things like character and personality (or, more accurately, what we THINK their character is) and go by just the numbers……then Grandy’s career path is definitely consistant with juicing.

• Nick says:

actually his slugging last year was exactly his career norm. he just used to hit a lot more triples. He jumps up in 2011, but its the same slugging he had in 2007

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

It’s his ISO that shows how much power he’s actually hitting for, and that jumped drastically.

But it’s really not out of line for someone who moved from a pitchers park to a hitters park and has tailored his swing to fit that new park.

28. Pat D says:

I’ve developed a new pastime on Facebook. I see a friend or family member post some politically charged quote that was supposedly made by someone historically. Then I go and find that the quote is completely full of shit and call the person for posting the quote.

Fun.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Einstein is a favorite with religious folks. It makes me sad as a religious person when people post that bullshit Einstein story using the ridiculous logic with the brain (if you don’t know it you’ll find it fast if you google).

Let’s get this straight: Einstein was a sort of pseudo-theist who was certainly not religious in any way, and quoting him to promote the common conception of God is an exercise in futility.

Seriously, there are many smart theists if you want to go that route. Although the fact that you’re posting this stuff is obnoxious, so just stop anyway. And frankly, I find the obnoxious opinion posting to be FAR more of a problem with atheists than theists. Just my experience, nothing more.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Heh. Theologically that’s pretty much lifted from Augustine Confessions after he breaks with the Manichees.

And there’s nothing wrong with Augustine! Why don’t they just quote him?

• Pat D says:

In this case my sister posted some “2nd Amendment” group’s picture/quote of Washington where the gist was that Washington said people should have guns to use against their government if necessary.

Trouble is, he said nothing of the sort.

• Cool Lester Smooth says:

Yeah, that doesn’t sound like Washington at all.

It does sound like Jefferson, though, and T-Jeff had all sorts of awesome quotes.

Even if the one about hemp and his back veranda is fake.

29. Nick says:

Is anybody watching Netherlands v. Australia? Jones is at the plate

30. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

So for those who have taken any interest, I discovered about three days ago that Godspell is basically the only musical you’ll ever find licensed by TWO companies. One is Music Theatre International, which holds hundreds of musical licenses and is a massive international company.

The other company is Theatre Maximus which holds-Godspell. No, really, that’s it. Since Godspell was written it has existed ONLY to carry that show, and has somehow stayed in business even after MTI picked the show up. How, I don’t know.

So naturally having figured this out (I’m still amazed that it took me this long, it’s apparently a REALLY obscure fact nowadays), I called TM to get their quote.

They:

. Offered me more than one show for the same price as they charged for one show.

. Didn’t require a deposit (money to be returned after the show ended), saving us an enormous pile of cash that we would need to raise in advance (400 dollars is a lot for us, BELIEVE me).

. Offered the show for fifty dollars less than MTI

. Will give us the show three months in advance instead of two

. And finally, is willing to take away only 9% of our royalties as opposed to 10%.

(I actually sort of cheated there. They asked me what percent of the royalties MTI had told me they’d take and I said 10%. What I DIDN’T say was that they were going to take 10% back when I thought we’d have around a 300 seat theater. We ended up getting an 800 seat theater. They are charging us a smaller percentage of the royalties than MTI would have charged us for 500 more seats.)

We are now only 275 dollars away from getting enough money to perform the show.

FUCK MTI. Theatre Maximus just offered us an absolutely incredible deal, WAAAAY better than MTI offered us. Fucking bloodsuckers down there.

This is GREAT news.