Mar

Opening Day Eve Open Thread

Bud Norris (!) will throw out the first pitch of the season tonight. (Scott Cunningham/Getty)

Yes, technically the 2013 season begins tonight with the Astros and Rangers, but I think we all consider tomorrow to be the real Opening Day. It’s not just a Yankees thing either, tomorrow is the season’s first full slate of games. That is Opening Day to me. Anyway, the Yankees finalized their roster today and will open the season against Jon Lester and the Red Sox tomorrow afternoon. Less than 24 hours away from real, meaningful Yankees baseball. It’ll be glorious.

Here is your open thread for the evening. That Astros-Rangers game starts at 8pm ET and can be seen on ESPN. Bud Norris and Matt Harrison is your pitching matchup, the second least appealing of the 15 Opening Day pitching matchups. The Knicks are also playing and apparently the Walking Dead season finale is on. I’m a few episodes behind and I’m not sure how I’ll be able to catch up with the season starting. Oh well. Talk about whatever you like here. Enjoy.

Categories : Open Thread

1. Anybody see the Duke/Louisville game? What an injury to Kevin Ware, there’s no coming back from that.

2. Rise Up says:

Happy Easter. Praise be to God!

3. Seth says:

Is it just me or do the Yankees and Rays have very similar teams and while they are getting a lot of love for winning the division, Yanks are getting squat. I think talent level in the rotation and bullpen are similar, and each team has 1 big time star in the middle of the lineup. Rays may have better defense, but come June 1 our offense should be much better. So why are we underdogs all of the sudden?

• TomH says:

Could it be because of age?

• forensic says:

This is the kind of thing that I’m talking about when I say the rotation has gotten overrated to try to compensate for the lesser offense. One of the teams you’re talking about finished last year leading the majors in starters ERA and WHIP while the other one was 15th in ERA and 11th in WHIP.

It’s not like the Yankees are in position for their guys to take enormous steps forward at this point in their careers, though Nova is early enough that I guess it’s possible though unlikely given what we’ve seen from him lately (though I’m optimistic on him). I’m sure some will say Hughes could, but after all these years he is what he is to me, if not going to be less.

While losing Shields will hurt, they do have Moore who is in a place in his career with the skill to take a huge step forward and compensate for some of that. They also have a ton of talent waiting in the wings to also step in, though again not quite at Shields level.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I think you’re making way too small of a deal of losing Shields.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

Even so the premise of the argument was that the Yankees’ and Rays’ are similar. If you replace Shields with a league replacement pitcher I’m sure the Rays’ pitching rankings from 1st in FIP won’t drop to 16th overall which is what the Yankees were.

And the Rays’ consistently have an elite defense year in and year out. This isn’t 2005 but the Yankees aren’t close to the top. Maybe our hitting will compensate but this premise is completely off.

• Preston says:

Going be ERA or FIP is ignoring park factors. Yes there starter ERA and FIP were far apart (there isn’t any real reason to use FIP, they’re going to have similar defenses this year) but they were 6th and 7th in starting pitcher WAR (which accounts for park factors) and the one win difference is probably already overcome by the loss of Shields even if Moore and Hellickson get better.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I agree with you. I mean, the Rays won 90 games last season and this offseason they have lost Shields, plus their bullpen is worse because there’s no way Rodney has a year like he did in 2012 again. Their offense lost Upton, their catchers are as bad offensivley as the Yankees, their starting 1B is worse than the Yankees replacement 1B and unlike Cano, Longoria is an injury risk and if he misses time, their offense really really bad.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

WHy is it that for other teams if you say only pointing out the negative aspects is valid yet do that for the Yankees are it’s not? Regardless the truth will be in the middle. Losing SHields is an obvious negative but it can be mitigated in better performances from guys like Moore or Hellickson.

I don’t know what the analysis on Fernando is based on but if we assume that to be true then a guy like Joel Peralta can step up who has a 9.70 K/9 and a 2.34 BB/9 in his two years with the Rays.

Maybe none of the above happens but the point stands.

• Get Phelps Up says:

The Rodney analysis is based on the fact that he had this awesome year totally out of nowhere following years of just being a meh reliever. Of course he’s going to regress, and probably significantly. Nobody will be able to replace Rodney’s year, which makes the Rays worse.

• Bob Buttons says:

Fear tactics. Few would care if Rays don’t make the playoffs but people would go nuts if someone says YANKEES AIN’T MAKING IT TO THE PLAYOFFS and suddenly the sky is falling. Which do you think gets more clicks/views?

4. ibeetb says:

No JAMES, no WADE, no Chalmers in tonights matchup against San Antonio. 60 Minutes it is

5. TomH says:

In the middle ages there used to be a kind of biography called “hagiography”: the life of a saint (hagios=holy). The writer Aldous Huxley (Brave New World) coined the term “destructive hagiography” to describe an apparent “saint’s” life (he was reviewing a bio of D.H. Lawrence) the true aim of which is to drag the object of the bio into the dirt.

I’m about halfway through this Leavy woman’s biography of Mickey Mantle. It’s a destructive hagiography–she ain’t fooling anybody by calling the Mick her “hero.”

With the biographies of world-historical figures like Caesar, Churchill, FDR, et al., I can understand why a biographer might want to “tell it all,” in case the “all” clarifies some aspect of the figure’s impact on history. In the case of a baseball player? Not convinced we need to know everything, although I can well imagine how a publisher and a canny author might wish to gratify 21st century coarseness of mind (Jerry Springer Culture) by dredging up all the mud she can in order to cover her “hero” with it.

• Pseudoyanks says:

I got to shake Mickey’s hand once. I was starstruck for about a month. I’ll skip the book, thanks for the review.

• Bob Buttons says:

Snopes once did a thing on Mickey Mantle. He played the joke on some PR officer for Yankee Stadium.

Warning: Some verbal sexual content.

• vicki says:

the mick was before my time, but from childhood i was a student of the yanks and of baseball in general. early on i identified with (and wanted to be) the for-public-consumption version, the charming blond who played hurt. when i got older and read he was an adulterous, hooched-up, child-not-loving jerk, i loved him more. because his teammates loved him. because he was freaking loyal. and. lawd, he was witty.

i read ‘the last boy.’ i liked it. did you read ‘ball four?’ i don’t think she went much further than bouton. i may would’ve felt differently if i were a bit older. but you know mickey mantle doesn’t care about you, right?

6. trr says:

It’s a little bit that whole David & Goliath thing, a little bit the “common wisdom” that holds that the Rays have built their team from the ground up, while the Yankees have bought theirs, and now somehow must pay the price for their avarice and temerity. As for myself, I’ve held all along that the overall talent level between the
    Ray, Jays, and Yanks is not so different, so I maintain my position that by September this should be a close 3-way race between the three, with the division winner registering 86-88 wins. Let the Games Begin!

• vicki says:

not to go all editor on you but temerity has a positive connotation, pretty much universally; and it’s not something one pays a price for. maybe you mean hubris?

either way, hell yes. i have zero doubt we’re in it come september. none.

7. ropeadope says:

Don’t forget the season 3 premiere of Game of Thrones on HBO at 9:00 ET.

• Ethan says:

Definitely the most important thing happening tonight!

• JLC 776 says:

You beat me to posting this! Definitely choosing GOT over the Astros…

• Eddard says:

GOT is one of the best shows on television, right up there with Mad Men and Breaking Bad. I’d put Homeland a step below because the 2nd season wasn’t as good as the first. The Walking Dead I’d put down the ranks with Girls and that awful show about a modern Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson.

• Barry says:

Walking Dead would have more viewers than GOT even if GOT wasn’t on subscription tv. GOT is good but it’s not nearly as good as the books. Fails to pay homage to the individuality of every character as the book puts into such great detail. Mad Men is terribly boring IMO. Homeland is garbage.

• Eddard says:

Good thing number of viewers doesn’t equal quality then. The Walking Dead could be good if they just moved a little more and actually met zombies. This manufactured war with the governor, that they will probably never have, should have been wrapped up episodes ago. It’s a show about a world taken over by zombies. They should be traveling the country and meeting people. And there’s no way a 10 episode/yr tv show can be as detailed as 1,000 page books. Mad Men is brilliant. Homeland was brilliant season 1, good season 2.

• Barry says:

Mad Men is far from brilliant. You could also not make the show 10 episodes long if you cared about representing the actually literary work. And viewers are everything in tv, which means the majority of America disagrees with you.

• jjyank says:

Mad Men is boring. I agree about Homeland, though I do think the season 2 finale made up for the rest of the Carrie/Body love drama that seemed to drag on too much.

The Walking Dead is awesome. Disagreed there. I love that the conflict with other humans mixes it up a bit. All zombie confrontations all the time would make the show stale as hell, in my opinion.

8. Eddard says:

The Walking Dead pales in comparison to Game of Thrones. It’s not even in the same league. TWD is an average show at best. There was one good episode this season where Rick, Carl and Michonne met that crazy black guy who Rick used to know. They were stationary on the farm and they’re stationary in the jail. The group should never be stationary for long in a show about the end of the world and zombies.

9. Eddard says:

I really think this Yankee club will be better equipped for the postseason than last year’s team. Pitching, defense and clutch hitting wins in the postseason and the Giants have proved 2 out of the last 3 years. Relying on 4 solo HRs a game just doesn’t cut it. I don’t care if you have a lineup full of Chris Stewarts, the Yankees will always hit their fair share of HRs in Yankee Stadium.

This team has speed at the top and more of a contact hitting lineup than just HR swingers. Last year almost none of our hitters hit for average. They just wanted to hit a HR when a simple single or fly ball to the outfield would suffice. And the pitching will hold it all together. No more station to station, HR or K. This lineup will put the ball in play and use its speed to score runs.

• Nigerian Prince says:

You are so right, my man!

And you have won a large amount of money – US$20 million – in our nation’s lottery. Please wire me US$10,000 to pay the wire fees and it will be yours tomorrow.

• Barry says:

So they’d hit between 18-27 HRs in a season as a team?

“I don’t care if you have a lineup full of Chris Stewarts, the Yankees will always hit their fair share of HRs in Yankee Stadium.”

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Let’s just hope they score enough of them before the actual Yankees return healthy.

They will put the ball in play and use their, um, speed or whatnot to score runs. Of course, they’re not very fast, and they may amount to about two runs a game, but you’re technically correct.

Anyways, though……GO YANKS.

• hogsmog says:

I mean, the problem with this lineup is that it doesn’t hit for power, but also doesn’t make up for it by better on-base skills. Just because a guy doesn’t hit home runs doesn’t mean he can get a “simple single or fly ball” when they need one.

Though, speaking of, the Yankees were 5th in baseball for sac flies last season anyway, and 21st in Ks…

10. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Just looked up Duke-Louisville. I know about the injury and all, but what the fuck happened the second half of that case?

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Case, game, whatever. Typo, don’t judge me.

• Tom says:

Louisville was the far superior team. Duke had 10 TO’s in the first half and were lucky to be close at halftime.

Both Louisville guards could get to the rim at will and either lay the ball up or dish for an easy shot. Duke simply couldn’t defend the pick and roll.

They also shutdown Curry (except for one stretch early in the 2nd half) – their athleticism and the ability to switch off on pretty much every screen took away Duke’s strength – screening to get their 3pt shooters open.

• vicki says:

pitino is a witch.

11. Erica says:

I’m going to the game tomorrow… going to be an interesting one, that’s for sure.

12. Bob Buttons says:

Today’s Locations that Bob laughes at because he still never grew up completely

Crotch Lake.

Real place, look it up. What are they thinking when they named this place? There’s no “it’s relevant in the past” or “it means something else in another language” or “its meaning is different now” excuses for this one. CROTCH LAKE HAHAHAHA.

13. Ally says:

Go Yankees! Game on!

We fight…we fight…we fight…we fight!!

14. Get Phelps Up says:

Well the umpires are already in midseason form.

• forensic says:

I missed it, was it on the Astros steal attempt?

I did see Pierzynski get a hit. Clearly he’s going to hit 1.000 this year.

• Erica says:

Who’s umping?

• forensic says:

Well, there’s another mess up on that trap/catch call.

• MannyGeee says:

In fairness that’s a tough call to make on the fly. Not that the sport needs replay or anything Mr Selig…

• Barry says:

I kind of like the human element. Replay is cool and all but it also takes away from some of the game’s natural drama.

• jjyank says:

I disagree whole-heartedly. Get the fucking calls right.

• Barry says:

That’s the fun of human error, people make mistakes. You don’t make mistakes? There are bad calls on ever level of baseball. Sometimes it breaks for your team, sometimes for the other. It’s part of the game whether you disagree or not.

• jjyank says:

I disagree that it SHOULDN’T be part of the game. Bad calls are not good. I don’t care who it breaks right for.

• Barry says:

It doesn’t matter whether or not they’re good or bad. It’s part of the game. Has been for over a hundred years of baseball history. Has been for thousands of years of sport.

• jjyank says:

That’s stupid. It’s been a part of the sport for so long because the technology didn’t exist for most of it. Now it does. Implement it.

You’re okay with bad calls because that’s the way it was done in 1920? That’s just awful logic. Sorry, Barry, but it is.

• Barry says:

It has nothing to do with me being okay with it. It’s the way it is, I don’t let it bother me. If they find a way to successfully and fairly implement it I’d be happy with it. I also wouldn’t want it to become something like the NFL where the whole game is changed by the constant change in the natural flow of the game.

When it comes to it being the way it has always been, my logic that the human call isn’t so bad that it has negatively impacted the game in any way. If it was ever that big of an issue then the game wouldn’t of survived as long as it has.

• jjyank says:

I don’t want it to become the NFL either, but you’re missing the point. It DOES negatively impact the game. Games have been one or lost by blatantly blown calls. History has been altered by blatantly blown calls. Just ask Armando Galarrago.

• Barry says:

I’m not missing the point. Until now and including the present, the calls(right or wrong, for better or for worse) have been part of the game. The game goes on despite the bad call here or there. In the end it is still a part of the game.

• jjyank says:

I think the game should get the calls right. It appears we will just have to agree to disagree, but I inherently disagree with the notion that shitty calls should be allowed because it has been in the past. Improvement should be strived toward, not hindered because “that’s the way my grandpa saw it”.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

….and that should never stop us from doing something better.

I’m all for computerized calls, robot umpires, midget spies, whatever it fucking takes.

• MannyGeee says:

So it’s better to be lucky then good? Until your players get injured, in which case you should have been better enough to get past the bad luck.

Seems legit.

• Get Phelps Up says:

The players are responsible for the natural drama.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I thought it was blog commenters that supplied the natural drama.

Or maybe that’s just unnatural drama.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Then what are the rules for? Would you think it just as exciting if the replay booth guys just intentionally got a random one in every ten calls wrong? That would just be arbitrary, unfair, and stupid, and it defeats the purpose of having the replay in the first place.

Now replace “replay” with “umpires” in that last sentence and you’ll see why I hate the “human element” bullshit. The umpires aren’t part of the damn game, the players are.

• forensic says:

I like some of the umpire human element, but not on everything. And before they get all this extra replay in, they need to figure out a quicker way to do it. Even the current HR replay meetings take too long sometimes.

The last thing I want is this to look like the crap the NFL seems to do every 3 minutes taking more time for replays than to actually play the game. Even college basketball and football are getting too much at this point. Can’t comment on the NBA as I don’t watch it anymore.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

The hyperbole.

• jjyank says:

Eh. That’s actually part of the reason I don’t like football that much. Too many penalties and replays.

For the record, I want more replay in baseball. But too much pause in the game could be a bad thing.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

A flag takes what 3 to 4 seconds to call? There are an average of 15 flags per game so it’s not enough to say that the stoppage dominates the game.

There are also 3-4 booth reviews which vary in length but usually the suspense makes up for the lack of playing time.

If you want to complain about an insignificant amount of time then I want to see more bitching about players stepping out of the batter’s box or pitchers taking too long to throw the ball.

• jjyank says:

I’m not going to disagree about the Josh Beckett’s of the world who take forever to throw. That’s annoying. I’m just saying that football has too many game play pauses for me to ever get into. Part of that is commercials, part of that is penalties, and part of that is the flags (the last two are obviously related).

There is such a thing as too much. Like I said elsewhere, I’d like replay greatly expanded, but I would like balls/strikes to remain untouched, for example.

• jjyank says:

Personally, I like the human element for balls and strikes. Nothing more, however. I like how a pitcher has to adapt to an ump’s interpretation of the zone, and I don’t want to see a strike K-Zone make all the calls. But otherwise, I’m all for replay.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Have a 5th umpire in the press box who communicates with the crew chief over a radio. It will take 30 seconds to review a play and create more jobs for umpires.

• jjyank says:

This, this this. I am a huge proponent of this idea. The union can’t even be against it, it adds another ~30 jobs. A 5th ump in the booth watching the same replays that we do would solve an awful lot.

• JobaWockeeZ says:

I’ve argued against this many times so all I have to say is that humans suck at this.

15. MannyGeee says:

Ahhhh. You know spring is in the air when you turn the TV on and the first thing I see is Carlos Peña swinging through a breaking ball. Baseball is BACK!

16. MannyGeee says:

Justin Maxwell just made an “F-You” catch out in CF. it’s obvious that Cashman failed.

• Tom says:

I think you should have put “catch” in the quotation marks (replays showed he trapped it)

The umps could use some more spring training reps apparently.

17. Roadgeek Adam says:

Two umps on my hate list: Sam “Infield Fly” Holbrook and Paul “Pedroia Swung” Nauert.

Both are on my list of please leave the game umps.

Just of note, we no longer have Derryl Cousins, Tim Tschida, and Ed Rapuano as umps. All three retired.

• JohnnyMax says:

In fairness to St. Louis, Kozma would have caught that ball if he did not mistake the voice of Holbrook as Holliday calling him off. But, yes Sam Holbrook sucks; you just can’t forgive a call like that.

18. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Law and Order Criminal Intent sucks.

• MannyGeee says:

And in other news, the sky is blue and boobs are awesome.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

SVU is just better in every possible way. Far more interesting characters (I still can’t distinguish between the utterly flat and boring personalities of literally every character in CI), better acting, better writing, and more interesting plots (what’s with the shit in CI where you know who the villain is from the start).

Seriously, I actually don’t know the names of any of the detectives in CI. Since their personalities are all more or less the same I just group them together as “Detective”.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We were watching what I thought was going to be some sort of Favre pic “ripped from the headlines” episode tonight, which actually turned out to be a “legitimate rape/pregnancy ripped from the headlines” episode tonight.

SVU is always the best. Mariska. Ice-T. Enough said.

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

I always liked Stabler. Not a big fan of new Stabler, but I suppose I could get used to him eventually. I’ve noticed that now that Stabler’s left they’re focusing a bit more on Olivia’s personal life, which is kind of an interesting change.

I wouldn’t call it a GREAT show, some of the episodes can get pretty depressing and honestly I find there to be a liberal bias in some of the episodes (I’ll leave it at that before arguments start), but it’s addicting and most of the time very well done.

19. Eddard says:

Baseball should have chosen its opener much wiser. The NFL always features the Superbowl Champion in its opener. Where are the SF Giants? They should be playing against a worthy foe tonight. Not Texas vs lowly Houston. They aren’t even featuring the AL Champs.

• MannyGeee says:

Meh… It was trying to make a draw out of the Astros moving to the AL. In Selig logic, I see what he’s doing.

Also, I LOVE Minute Maid Park… That place is visually appealing to me.

• Erica says:

I mean, it’s Easter Sunday night, so I guess not a lot of families are sitting around watching baseball? I don’t know what people do on Easter.

• jjyank says:

I drink cheap rum and watch TV. I LOVE being an atheist.

• jjyank says:

No, not really. It’s actually awesome.

• Rise Up says:

What’s awesome about it? Going through life with no purpose.

That just sounds so “awesome”?? Dude, you’re smarter than that. Whatever, I believe in eternal life and love living my life with that purpose in mind.

• jjyank says:

Get over your ignorant self. I don’t harbor any ill will towards people who believe i God. I don’t. I never have, and I never will. And I am contend with my beliefs.

You don’t need to believe in a man in the clouds in order to have morals and purpose. If you think that I, or anyone else does, you need to grow up.

• Rise Up says:

I suggest you use what is probably your favorite search engine Google, and clean up your spelling and grammar.

It’s cool man don’t have a meltdown, God still loves you. Have fun looking forward to just laying in cold dirt for eternity, doesn’t matter to me. Have an “awesome” time.

• jjyank says:

Have fun being an ignorant idiot for the rest of your life.

O:S

• Rise Up says:

Atheist’s are so hostile, I wonder why…

No purpose in life will do that to you.

Peace Out, Bro.

• Rise Up says:

Can I please be an ignornant idiot in the afterlife as well? Something you won’t have to worry about.

• vicki says:

friendly, happy, downright complaisant! atheist here.

(there’s no god, there’s no afterlife; but the sports jinx is real.)

• Bob Buttons says:

I guess it’s true what they say. Every day, you can see people who never stop to think that zealousness in a religion also drives people away.

You certainly have the right to practice your religion, but freedom of religion also includes the right to not practice any.

Granted, I had never finished reading the Bible, so there might be a line that says “proclaimth thy neighbor that he hath no meaning in his life due to him lacking in the faith” in there. Or was it “those who doth not believe, doth not grasp the purpose of life”??

• Rise Up says:

Both of them are in there. Along with “It’s all fun and games to try and be a comedian until your comedic efforts land you in Hell.”

You know you should really finish the Bible. I doth believe. I’m off to read it right now. I’ll pray for you guys, obviously you need it.

• Bob Buttons says:

Funny. Pretty sure all you have to do is to believe, not practice. I’ve been told numerous times that you’d be saved if you “believe and you are sorry for your sins.”

I for one don’t see mocking wrongful interpretations as really sinful, nor is defending those who do not share Judeo-Christian views. Seriously, I do not recall, ever, hearing about how you must practice and observe, or preach and beseech, to be correct. IIRC nowhere in the Bible does it say non-believers have no purpose in their lives, and I find it hard to believe that a benevolent, omnipotent being would be rejecting good chaps who just doesn’t buy in lores of his deeds that can be, and probably has been compromised by generations of different people keeping it alive before the days of organized systems of writing. We all know you have to see certain things to believe certain things. Atheists just never saw anything that to them, affirmed the existence of a divine being. By most church standards, you ask and you shall receive the answers. Pretty sure the Ask, Seek, Knock stuff have been done, in a way. If atheists haven’t received an answer that would satisfy,
                      there really isn’t anything fundamentally wrong with not believing.

I am not advocating for, or against the existence of a divine being when I say, if God thinks there’s only specific ways to reach out to him, why hasn’t certain branches gone the way of Sodom and Gomorrah? I’ve had “the talk” from Catholics, Protestants and even LDS. Seems like all of them are dead set on how they are correct and everyone else is literally damn wrong.

Fire away. Anything I say that’s intrinsically wrong?

• JohnnyMax says:

You probably work for the government.

• Hoss says:

Fuck like bunnies, obviously.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Normally not a nighttime holiday, Erica. We were up at the crack of dawn for sunrise service and, by “we,” I meant that I somehow got away with sleeping in this year.

I assume most folks are done with Easter by mid-afternoon or so.

• Dalek Jeter says:

Quietly get drunk around their family?

20. MannyGeee says:

Hot Biogenesis talk on the airwaves…. Huzzah!

I wish they’d let it die on the vine already.

21. Tom from England says:

Weather looks good enough in the Bronx for game time through the afternoon. Cloudy and windy with 20% chance of condensation nuclei.

22. forensic says:

See, Maxwell doesn’t even have the power to get a ball out of the park… He sucks…

Sure does like watching them though. I despise that!!!

23. dkidd says:

just read that casper wells was DFA’d by the mariners, got all worked up about how the yanks should grab him, started going through the roster options, then took a breath and realized i’m really really really ready for the season to start

24. Pat D says:

This week will either be really good or really bad. Hopefully I get up early enough tomorrow so that I can sit on the phone with the IRS before the game comes on.

25. Pasta says:

This is from BBI a football site
    This guy should work for you mike

Here’s a by-level look at the Yanks’ system. I apologize for any mistakes or omissions, let me know if you have any questions I can answer.

Charleston (Low A)

Infield: 1B – Bird, 2B – Refsnyder, SS – Culver, 3B – Bichette, C – O’Brien, reserves are Custodio, Kuo, and Butler. Backing up O’Brien are Wes Wilson and and Nick McCoy.

Outfield is Dugas, Calderon, Danny Oh, and De Leon.

Starting pitchers are DePaula, Encinas, Rutckyj, Camarena, and Vargas [it appears], with Gerritse, Varnadore, Paullus, Wetherell, Short, Garrison, and Alex Smith rounding out the pitching staff.

Who is a prospect: For position players, Bird is a breakout candidate. One of the best bats in the system, appears to be healthy. Peter O’Brien had a calendar month last year in which he hit 10 HRs. Light-tower power and despite his frame may be nimble enough to stay behind the plate, though he has work to do. DePaula is debuting in full-season, something the Yanks rarely do. Encinas has filthy pure stuff, much like Bryan Mitchell he needs to harness it. Camarena has three major league offerings and a lot of polish for a young lefty. Missing from this group is Ty Hensley, rehabbing something or another. Whether he comes to Charleston or goes to short-season remains to be seen.

Who is a suspect: Culver is now strictly a righty and is in a make or break year. Bichette is likely to rebound significantly, though whether he regains his prospect stature remains to be seen. DeLeon and Calderon need to show they’re more than one-trick ponies, but they have potential. Custodio struggled under the lights at SI last year but he has a lot of talent.

Tampa (A)

Infield: Matt Snyder, 1B, Angelo Gumbs, 2B, Zach Wilson, 3B, Gary Sanchez, C. Presumably SS will be Anderson Feliz, because I doubt Carmen Angelini is going to start. Arcia, Stevenson, Castillo, Toussen and Rabago will be reserves.

Outfield: Ben Gamel, Cody Grice, Mason Williams, with Eduardo Sosa as a reserve.

Rotation: Mikey O’Brien, Bryan Mitchell, Corey Black, Shane Greene (one of the guys I have listed in the pen will be the fifth starter.

Bullpen: Nick Goody, John Brebbia, Allen, Arneson, Arrebato, Barreda, Sean Black, De La Cruz, Lewis, Mahoney

Who is a prospect: Mason Williams and Gary Sanchez are elite prospects. Gumbs to Tampa is a surprise move and tells you what kind of spring he had. Ben Gamel has a great contact tool and patience, he needs a little pop to round out as a prospect but he has major-league bloodlines. Corey Black needs to show stamina and secondary stuff but he has a ton of potential. Nick Goody is the class of the relievers, but Brebbia has a lot of upside. Bryan Mitchell has some of the best stuff in the system. He needs to put it together for a season but he could become an elite prospect.

Who is a suspect: Sosa needs to show something this year. The Yankees have a lot of OF prospects and he’ll be a non-factor if he doesn’t start showing some of the potential he showed in the DSL. Matt Snyder and Zach Wilson need to show they’re something more than college infielders.

Trenton (AA)

Infield: Kyle Roller 1B, Jose Pirela 2B, Walter Ibarra SS, Rob Segedin 3B, JR Murphy C, Backups are Mahoney and Corona, with Higashioka and Blaser behind the dish.

OF: Austin, Flores, Heathcott, Reserves are Neil Medchill and Shane Brown

Starting rotation should be: Nik Turley, Francisco Rondon, Matt Tracy, Caleb Cotham and Zach Nuding. The star of this group, Jose Ramirez, is a little banged up and will stay in Tampa for a few weeks. RPs include Burawa, healthy again, Dott, Shaeffer Hall, Tommy Kahnle, Kelvin Perez, Josh Romanski, Graham Stoneburner, Branden Pinder and Jeremy Bleich

Who is a prospect: Aside from the all-prospect outfield, Murphy is a big-time two-way catcher. Turley is the best of the SPs down there now, while Tracy is a high-floor lefty with a more modest ceiling. Pinder is a future closer and Kahnle could be a late-inning guy too.

Who is a suspect: Roller and Pirela have tools but need to escape the “fringey” label. Rondon is trying starting. Caleb Cotham needs to put it together this year or he’s going to be overtaken by better prospects. Burawa missed a season, as did Bleich, but either could get back in the prospect convo. Stoneburner missed most of the season and is in the same boat.

Scranton (AAA)

Infield: Luke Murton, 1B, Corban Joseph, 2B, Gil Velasquez, SS, David Adams, 3B. Austin Romine, C Reserves include Dan Johnson and Addison Maruszak, while Bobby Wilson backs up Romine.

Outfield: Melky Mesa, Zoilo Almonte, Ronnier Mustelier. Thomas Neal should be a reserve

Starting rotation: Dellin Betances, Brett Marshall, Chien Ming Wang, Vidal Nuno

Bullpen: Chase Whitley, Preston Claiborne, Mark Montgomery, Josh Spence, Jim Miller, Sam Demel, Juan Cedeno

Who is a prospect: A lot of fringe among position players. Corban Joseph is MLB-ready, David Adams might be too. Austin Romine needs to show it for a year. Marshall has a #3 ceiling, a 4-5 floor. Whitley and Claiborne are MLB-quality relievers, but probably middle relievers rather than late-end because of their repertoires. Montgomery looked dominant up until this spring, whether he’s a decent MLB-reliever or the second coming of DRob remains to be seen. Nuno could be a good lefty reliever or a starter, we’ll see.

Who is a suspect: Murton has a AAAA-look to him. Mesa and Zoilo look to have fourth-OF upside. They need to improve upon that. Betances…plenty of ink has been spilled on him Hopefully he can repeat his delivery and pitch with control this year.

26. Robinson Tilapia says:

Looking at the roster and pondering the following:

1) First to come back from the DL
    2) If all things go well, and not accounting for any further injury, who goes down/gets DFAed for who.
    3) Who would be the first call-up in any situation

Also wondering whether Rapada or Aardsma would actually come back on an MiLB deal. Thinking “no,” but who knows.

• Pat D says:

Rapada, maybe. Aardsma, doubt it.

I’d say Overbay is the first to go, but that’s probably a longshot since Teixeira isn’t likely to be back first. I’d think they send down Nunez when Jeter comes back. He should play every day.

• Bob Buttons says:

1) Jeter?
      2) I’m guessing Francisco or Overbay. I mean, if Boesch can play first..
      3) Pitchers I’m guessing a low ceiling AAA-guy, or maybe Wang if he impresses in April. Batters I’m guessing someone already on 40-man or someone that will go DFA fodder no sweat.

As for the relievers, I don’t think either of those would go unclaimed. Cheap relievers with past success? People love those.

• Pasta says:

Dont need either of those guys
      Cabrel is coming back has such better stuff then rapada
      Shawn kelly will make us forget aardsma who never did anything as a yankee anyway.

• forensic says:

1. Jeter
      2. Nunez, unless he’s really hitting the ball in which case it could be Boesch
      3. An infielder injury might actually be Mustelier, but it seems like that would take a miracle at this point, or Nunez if he’s down there already after Jeter has returned. An outfielder injury could be anyone being that they already have 5 in the majors. Might just depend on what else is happening with the club at that time.

I assume Aardsma could find a better job elsewhere. Don’t know on Rapada, guess it depends what teams think when they get a chance to see his medicals.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

To answer my own question:

1) Jeter and Hughes return relatively quickly
      2) Nunez and Warren get sent down. Overbay and Francisco go when Tex and Granderson get back.
      3) I could see Mesa, Spence, or Cedeno happen relatively quickly. I expect to see one of the two latter, plus Nuno and Mustelier, on the 40-man at some point during the season.

It’d be nice to see Aardsma stay with the org, although it just doesn’t seem likely. Not my favorite move of the spring there. Not too concerned about Rapada, as relievers like him come with expiration date stickers. Just have to find this year’s version, if you even need two lefties.

• forensic says:

Totally forgot about Hughes. He could beat Jeter back, that true. I guess I’m choosing not to think about him going into the rotation again…

Warren is certainly gone when Hughes returns, and Overbay for Tex of course, but I could see either Boesch or Francisco going for Granderson. Guess it depends how people are doing at that point and how some guys are hitting same-side pitchers.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

If you want to play the “preserve depth” game, you could keep Francisco and option Boesch, although I think Boesch potentially offers more to the team than Francisco will.

• Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

I think there’s a pretty good chance Boesch gets optioned when Jeter gets back. I think they’d keep Nunez around, at least temporarily, so they could take it somewhat slow with Jeter.
          If they are truly going to use Wells as an everyday OF(ughh), I don’t see much of a role for Boesch. If Wells is struggling badly early, I could see Francisco going instead and Boesch being used more.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

We are really going to have to offer moral support to one another here around Vernon Wells this season.

I got yer back, NP&H.

• forensic says:

That’s true, though it might depend on how close they think Tex is to returning at that point. If they are still going to be using Nix as a starter at 3B against lefties for awhile, then yeah, they’ll likely keep Nunez around. But, if Tex is close and they can just alternate sometimes keeping Overbay in or Jeter in against lefties, then maybe it’ll be Nunez.

So much of this is fluid though.

• Ruby Rich says:

I think they’ll take it slower than usual with Jeter. He didn’t have much of a spring training and I wouldn’t be surprised if he spent a week rehabbing in the minors. Also, I think that will give them a chance to get a better look at Nunez who, despite having been around for a while, is still somewhat of a mystery at this point. Whether Jeter’s stubbornness fights this remains to be seen.

27. forensic says:

Jeff Luhnow sure has a lot more gray hair now than when he was hired. Guess that’s what 16 months as the Astros’ GM does to you.

• Bob Buttons says:

Or maybe because he got permission to sign another player in exchange for not requesting hair dye from the Astros organization.

28. forensic says:

Wow, when did I miss Lowe signing with Texas? Thought he was heading into forced retirement.

Liking that result though, exactly why I thought he’d be heading to forced retirement…

29. Robinson Tilapia says:

I almost forgot. Driving home from New Haven today. With CT being the dividing line between Yankee and Red Sox country, you tend to see some Sox stuff for sure. A car with a Nomar bumper sticker drove by me. It had me wondering whether, in an alternate universe where Nomar was still an active baseball player, how likely it would have been he’d be in spring training this year with the Yanks.

Not totally serious, but it just seemed to fit in the head.

30. Robinson Tilapia says:

Jennings with a fantastic write-up on why Rapada on LoHud.

• forensic says:

Not bad, but really it also shows how poorly (in my opinion) they went about putting this all together and how I think they don’t have enough of a plan just going step by step taking everything in the short team, not long term.

In addition, it also doesn’t address why they didn’t 60-day DL him, though again, it’s really not a huge deal either way.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

True. Hadn’t thought about the 60-day DL option.

They must like what they see with other lefties in the system and think it’s just as likely that Rapada can’t repeat 2012.

The 40-man spots taken up by some of last year’s potential Rule 5 guys hurt right now as well.

31. Robinson Tilapia says:

Happy for Justin Maxwell. This pretty much is the only way this guy was going to get a chance to play every day in the bigs. Even if it makes the Yankees look badly in some eyes, I’m rooting for him.

• Nick says:

yeah I always wonder what players would say. would you rather play a small part on a really good team or start for an awful team. good for Maxwell

• Mike HC says:

For players just breaking into the bigs or trying to make a name for themselves, I would say start for an awful team. For a veteran who has already made his money and made his name, small part on a winning team. That is why you see all these 35+ former all stars begging to join the Yanks, while younger guys bypass them in order to get playing time.

32. forensic says:

Kinsler’s got some serious butterfingers tonight. Don’t know if any have been scored errors, but he’s dropping balls left and right, though that one was a little more difficult.

33. Need Pitching & Hitting (but mostly hitting) says:

Apparently, no longer future-Yankee Andrus is close to a 8/$120M deal.

34. Monterowasdinero says:

Saw Profar in AZ last week. Ridiculous skill set. Don’t know if we have anything they’d take for him. I asked around a bit on him and was told he is a bit of a jerk.

Character issues?