Mar

The Mariano Rivera Retirement Announcement LiveBlog

Say your prayers... (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Say your prayers… (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)

Barring a complete surprise, Mariano Rivera will announce his retirement from baseball following the 2013 season during a press conference in Tampa this morning. The 43-year-old has been hinting at retirement for two years now, so the announcement will be no surprise. The show starts at 10am ET and can be seen on YES. I’ll liveblog the particulars below.

Categories : News

1. trr says:

“this was a (closer)…..when comes such another?”

2. Barry says:

Sad but inspired.. this year is going to be a rare Yankee Cinderella story.

3. Robinson Tilapia says:

I was looking for a YouTube clip from his first appearance in ’95, but can’t find one. Can anyone find one on the net?

It’s funny how the Yankees really have had a solid pitcher finishing games for as long as I can remember, but it all went to another level in ’97.

There is nothing I could say about Mo that wouldn’t come off as trite. What you see now with both him and Derek, you will be very hard pressed to see again in your lifetime.

4. MB923 says:

Does anyone think Mo’s saves record will be the best all time? The only active pitcher I see who even has a chance of beating him is Craig Kimbrel. Only 24 years old and already has 89 saves.

I will say this, I don’t see a single pitcher ever beating Mo’s postseason saves record And his postseason ERA record.

I’m sure you all heard these 2 facts
    More people have walked on the moon than runners have scored on Mariano Rivera in the postseason
    And if Mo allowed 21 runs in the postseason without recording a single out, his postseason ERA is 2.00

• MB923 says:

“Does anyone think Mo’s saves record will be the best all time? ”

Ehh let me re-word that, Does anyone think Mo’s saves record will ever be broken?

• ThatstheMelkyMesaWaysa says:

I’m going to go with no. I don’t think anyone will break it especially Kimbrel. It’s unlikely that any closer’s career will be as long or prosperous as Mo’s.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

“The only active pitcher I see who even has a chance of beating him is Craig Kimbrel. Only 24 years old and already has 89 saves.”

Which is precisely why odds are he doesn’t have a prayer of breaking it.

For all we know, how relievers are viewed could change completely again in the next 20 years.