Apr

DePaula whiffs 11 in long-awaited U.S. debut

RHP Graham Stoneburner was bumped up to Triple-A Scranton from Double-A Trenton while LHP Josh Romanski was sent down, according to Josh Norris and Mike Ashmore.

Triple-A Scranton (7-2 loss to Pawtucket)

• RF Melky Mesa: 1-4, 1 BB, 1 K
  • 2B Corban Joseph: 0-5, 2 K
  • CF Zoilo Almonte: 0-2, 3 BB, 1 K — six walks in the three games after drawing 25 all of last year
  • 1B Luke Murton: 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
  • 3B Addison Maruszak: 2-4, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (fielding)
  • LHP Juan Cedeno: 2 IP, zeroes, 4 K, 2/0 GB/FB — 15 of 22 pitches were strikes (38%) … nice work
  • RHP Mark Montgomery: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GB/FB – 17 of 24 pitches were strikes (63%)

Double-A Trenton‘s game was postponed due to a frozen field. Yep, a frozen field. The game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on July 2nd.

High-A Tampa (8-3 loss to Lakeland)

• CF Mason Williams: 2-5, 1 R, 2 K — on-base seven times in his first three games
  • DH Angelo Gumbs: 0-5
  • LF Ben Gamel: 3-5, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 SB — multiple hits in each of the first three games
  • C Gary Sanchez: 2-4, 1 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K – seven hits in the first three games
  • RF Eduardo Sosa: 3-4, 1 E (fielding)
  • RHP Shane Greene: 5 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 R, 2 BB, 8 K, 2/3 GB/FB — looks like he’ll get another year to see if the whole starting thing can work out, but I think he could move real quick in the bullpen

Low-A Charleston Game One (6-2 win over Greenville in nine innings) makeup of Thursday’s rain out

• SS Cito Culver: 1-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing)
  • 2B Rob Refsnyder: 1-3, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K
  • DH Greg Bird: 0-3, 1 R, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP — five walks in the first two games of the year
  • 3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 1-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 3 K, 1 HBP — was at the plate when the go-ahead run scored on a wild pitch, then he singled in a pair
  • RF Yeicok Calderon: 0-5, 3 K
  • C Peter O’Brien: 2-5, 1 R, 2 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K — he should mash at this level
  • RHP Rafael DePaula: 4.1 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 11 K, 1 WP, 1 Balk, 1/0 GB/FB — 49 of 71 pitches were strikes (69%) … the Yankees desperately need some young impact pitching to emerge, so hopefully this is the start of something good

Low-A Charleston Game Two (8-4 loss to Greenville in seven innings)

• CF Taylor Dugas: 2-4, 1 R
  • SS Cito Culver: 2-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 1 RBI, 1 K, 1 E (fielding) — hitting well to start the year, let’s hope it continues
  • 3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 0-3, 1 BB
  • 1B Greg Bird: 3-4, 1 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K
  • RF Yeicok Calderon: 2-4, 1 R, 1 HR, 1 RBI — Yeicokshot!
  • LF Fu-Lin Kuo: 2-2, 1 2B, 1 BB
Categories : Down on the Farm

1. Neil says:

Time to call up Monty already.

• Laz says:

Will wait at least the 9 games or so to set back his service clock at minimum.

• Scott says:

No, if he’s ready mid-season that will be fantastic, but before then is a terrible idea.

As of the end of last year, the man’s AA line (in basically a full season) is 269/318/455 with 148K/39BB — not even close to MLB-ready. So even if he looks awesome at the start of the season, we’ll need enough sample size to see if he can make contact reliably off even just AAA pitching.

That said, I agree with the basic idea: his production at AAA just has to be solid, not world-beater, for him to be worth a shot over Francisco.

I’ll go further: by mid-season, I’d love to see the Yanks’ current bench scrubs replaced by some mix of (a) one or two of Musty/Almonte/Mesa/Neal, (b) Romine, and (c) whichever of Adams/Joseph looks better. Obviously the May-July returns of Granderson, Jeter, Texeira, A-Rod are a much bigger deal, but upgrading several bench spots could make a real difference too. Which is to say AAA matters more this year than some.

• renzostew says:

I agree with you 100%,but i don’t think they will do it

• Joel says:

Neil was talking about Mark Montgomery.

• Rick says:

That’s one hell of a batting line for a pitcher!!! Face-palm on your post. May be worth looking into some Xanax as well.

• Scott says:

Rick, I (a) stand corrected in thinking Neil was referencing Almonte, (b) stand by my points, and (c) suggest that the creepy guy (you) who uses multiple exclamation points to heckle is the one who needs the Xanax, or maybe just an appointment with your middle-school guidance counselor on advice about how, if you ever want to enter the world of grown-ups, you need some work.

• Joel says:

Uh, Rick, watch out. You’re “creepy” for using extra exclamation points.

• Scott says:

It was a dick post by Rick, no two ways about it. In contrast, your post correcting my about who “Monte” was — by bad — was perfectly normal and appreciated.

2. YankeeGrunt says:

Nice outing for Shane Greene. If he can control his pitches he can be very good, three big-league offerings is probably a starter’s repertoire. As you point out though at his age he needs to start showing it soon or they’re going to have to stick him in the pen by default.

3. forensic says:

Juan Cedeno for LOOGY!

4. pat says:

I like that they have Phil Wetherell starting in Charleston. He;s got nasty stuff but is raw as hell. The more innings he gets the better.

5. Bo Knows says:

I said it in the other thread, that most if not all of De Paula’s hits were from weak contact. Also said, I hope they go aggressive, have him make 4-5 more starts in Low A, if he continues putting up big numbers, bump him to Tampa. If he owns Tampa for 8-10 starts, bring him up to Trenton to finish the season

• Bo Knows says:

I’m assuming the Yankees will have him pitch around 110-120 innings

• Bo Knows says:

I’m thinking he’ll have a pitching limit of 110-120 innings

• Andy In Sunny Daytona says:

Yeah. I watched the games as well. All bleeding eye singles, and a drag bunt that wasn’t played well by the defense.

• Dave M says:

I felt DePaula was even more dominant than his numbers. So yeah, I can see him getting moved up quickly. Remember, I believe it was Mark Newman who said they might have him start the season in Tampa.

• Dayne H says:

11k’s in his stateside debut is unbelievably impressive and from what other poster are saying it could have been better. If he performs at a similar level the next couple times out theirs no way they can’t bump him up.

He has the stuff and other intangibles that should allow him to move up rather quickly. I really hope he makes it to AA by the season. If what he did in the DSL last yr and his first start are any indication this he could be a special one.

We really do have some elite high impact arms in our system for the 1st time in along time

6. Robinson Tilapia says:

11 strikeouts by DePaula?!

Erection. Massive.

7. jjyank says:

I actually like the new DoTF format. Simpler, less names for me to skim over, but I get the important stuff.

8. Psuedoyanks says:

I second liking the new format. Win/win I guess. Less work for Mike and easier read for us.

9. Angelo says:

I can’t believe Culver is actually hitting well to start the year. I hope it continues.

Also, DePaula, please allow me to love a pitching prospect again.

10. matt montero says:

Anyone know why Slade is listed as a DH on the Thunder website? (Sorry if this was mentioned before).

• Andy says:

I think that its because he DH’ed most of his games last year while coming off of shoulder surgery. Still seems like a mistake though. He’s a CF everyday when healthy.

• I'm not the droids you're looking for... says:

At least he’s not listed as a DL which wouldn’t be much less accurate in the grand scheme of things.

11. Wayne says:

Love the depaula debut, hope we don’t eventually trade him or José Ramírez. Those 2 are really our best pitching prospects. Turley is another guy i like even thought he is off the first game. JR murphy and gary Sánchez are two young catchers very few teams have that, angelo gumbs at second. That is a core that you definitely can build around! We need a replacement for jeter which is not going to be easy. Our outfielders need help. This year’s draft there will be top starting pitchers and position players available. I think it’s a mistake to think solely on position players available ,especially with the first five picks. I am aware of pitching but don’t know anything about any five tool players available in the draft or guys who can specifically be fast in the outfield who can catch like a raja Davis
    Bernie Williams type player or Darryl strawberry type player where the Yankees pick.

• Sweet Dick Willie says:

Seeing as Strawberry was a number 1 draft pick, you won’t see that kind of talent where the Yanks pick.

12. Laz says:

Didnt’ realize it was still so cold up north.

13. Alkaline says:

Saw SWB twice now. Field is real nice and intimate. I was hoping to see Hughes last night, but alas. Monty’s slider got some check swings/awkward swings along with the Ks. The radar gun is iffy so I cant’ tell the speed of the pitches too accurately, though.

They’ve been sloppy games, too. When I left last night, each team had 2 errors. Plus, there were a lot more misplays that don’t show up as an E. The offense can’t get into a groove. They’ll get a guy on base, but that’s it.

14. nycsportzfan says:

Montgomery is a beast! DePaula K’s 11! Gary Sanchez is raking! These guys need to be impact players for us going forward…

15. Michelle Axisa says:

Yay for cock!

16. Igrovoy says:

Only great mind would to see this!