Apr

DePaula wild in second start with River Dogs

This is a few weeks old, but I’ve had it open in a tab and didn’t get around to reading it until today. Josh Norris spoke to SS Cito Culver, who confirmed he stopped switch-hitting in favor of batting right-handed exclusively right after being cut from big league camp in March. It was his idea and he took it to the brass. So there, confirmation.

Also, apparently LHP Matt Tracy is working on a cutter according to Mike Ashmore. He’s primarily a fastball/changeup guy with some curveballs mixed in.

Triple-A Scranton was rained out for the second day in a row. No word when they’ll make this one up.

Double-A Trenton (6-5 win over Richmond in 11 innings, walk-off style)

• CF Slade Heathcott: 3-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 3B, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 SB — tripled with one out in the 11th to setup the winning run
  • LF Ramon Flores: 2-6, 1 RBI, 1 K — walk-off sac fly
  • RF Tyler Austin: 0-5, 1 K — stuck in an 0-for-14 slump
  • C J.R. Murphy: 1-5, 1 K, 1 E (catcher interference)
  • DH Neil Medchill: 2-4, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 BB, 2 K
  • RHP Zach Nuding: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 7 K, 6/2 GB/FB — 56 of 90 pitches were strikes (62%)
  • RHP Branden Pinder: 2 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 2/1 GB/FB — 26 of 35 pitches were strikes (74%) … eight runs allowed in his last 2.1 innings

High-A Tampa (3-2 loss to Dunedin in 11 innings, walk-off style)

• CF Mason Williams: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 CS — six walks and seven strikeouts through seven games
  • 2B Angelo Gumbs: 0-5, 2 K – stuck in an 0-for-20 rut at the moment
  • LF Ben Gamel: 0-4, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K — first hitless game of the year
  • DH Gary Sanchez: 1-5, 1 R, 1 2B — three straight games with a double
  • RHP Corey Black: 6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 6/3 GB/FB — Kiley McDaniel had him sitting 92-94 and touching 96
  • RHP Zach Arneson: 1.1 IP, zeroes, 2 K, 1/0 GB/FB — he was sitting 93-95 with what McDaniel called “the worst arm action I’ve seen this year … Maybe ever”

Low-A Charleston (3-0 loss to Augusta)

• SS Cito Culver: 1-3, 1 2B, 1 BB, 2 K — six extra-base hits in eight games this year after 22 in 122 last year
  • 1B Greg Bird: 1-4, 1 K
  • 3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 0-4, 1 K
  • C Peter O’Brien: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 K
  • RHP Rafael DePaula: 2 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 4 BB, 5 K, 1 WP, 2 HB, 1/0 GB/FB — only 24 of 55 pitches were strikes (44%), and he threw 11 straight balls to open the game … the kid lost a lot of development time these last few years and has a lot of catching up to do
  • RHP Phil Wetherell: 5 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 7/1 GB/FB — 48 of 60 pitches were strikes (80%) … pretty awesome job in relief
Categories : Down on the Farm

1. forensic says:

RF Tyler Austin: 0-5, 1 K — stuck in an 0-for-14 slump

Curse of the prospect watch!

I think we should’ve picked some nobody in Low-A or something to keep all the possibly real players safe…

2. Pseudoyanks says:

Stay healthy Slade!

3. Richard Leo says:

any report on Rafael DePaula’s stuff?

4. YankeesJunkie says:

The last couple years are tough to make up, however he will make up a lot of ground and set himself by make 25 to 30 starts this year.

5. Kramerica Industries says:

In other words, you’ve had the same web browser open for weeks on end?

Well, we’re one in the same on that front.

• Mike Axisa says:

I have my browser set up so that every time I open it, it opens with the tabs it had when I last closed. I only have about three extra tabs open with stuff I need to find time to read, usually longer stuff, but that one hung around a while.

• Kramerica Industries says:

I have the same set-up, it’s just that turning off a notebook computer isn’t nearly as necessary as it is with a desktop computer (though I don’t know which one you’re using, if not something else altogether).

Furthermore, I’m one of those people who could literally be up to 25-30 open tabs within the space of 30 minutes. Tons of reading material that I never actually get around to reading. Thus, loading up those tabs would just be a pain in the ass to deal with.

• Mike Axisa says:

I’ve gotten better at reading stuff right away in Google Reader. My days of 25+ tabs are over, thankfully.

• Bob Buttons says:

I actually got a folder in my favorites titled “temp”.

Unfortunately it grew to 6 sub-folders and 2 sub-levels.

(Yes, I’m a major pack-rat, even when it comes to random internet articles)

• Kramerica Industries says:

Oh yes. Join the club on that one. I have to imagine I have a couple hundred bookmarks scattered across the internet by this point. And this is from someone who, at times, might not do anything other than visit the same dozen or so sites on a given day.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Kinda makes you think back with amazement to the days of IE and Netscape, when tabs didn’t exist, and opening up a new page with any kind of medium-sized bandwidth would take five minutes.

Not quite sure how we all managed back then, knowing what we can do now.

• Bob Buttons says:

Pretty sure I just got games from my friends who had the disc.

Also pretty sure to pass time I was counting how many sounds the modem made.

And pretty sure I’d never come up calling myself Bob Buttons.

• hogsmog says:

Ugh… currently at 75 tabs, dating back to July.

• Get Phelps Up says:

Wow and I thought my 15-20 open tabs at a time were a lot…

6. Cool Lester Smooth says:

Here’s hoping Cito can turn it around. He seems like a good kid.

7. Voice of Reason says:

Wild as he was today, with 16 Ks through 6.1, I’m gonna go ahead and say De Paula is overqualified for low A

• Laz says:

Might help him to face a bit more talented hitters. Right now he is simply striking out opposing hitters with overwhelming velocity, instead of actually having good command, and making smart pitcher.

8. Richard Leo says:

hit for power is too much fo culver i think

9. Deathstroke Heathcott says:

10. And in merrie olde England says:

Not sure which is the open thread but has anyone got the Dodgers/Pad’s game/riot on…!

• forensic says:

From the box score, looks like Quentin got cranky after a HBP and started some trouble with 3 players being ejected? And then right after that Grienke was taken out with a left shoulder injury, possibly from the fracas?

That about sum it up?

• Bob Buttons says:

Box score doesn’t do the 10 minute video justice.

Quick summary:

on a 0-2 pitch from Marquis the ball went inches over Kemp’s head.
        Later on Quentin gets hit. He’s fucking pissed because he already got hit by LAD on Tuesday and sat out Wednesday.
        Yaddi yadda, brawl between Ellis (catcher, not 2B), Greinkpunk, and Quentin. When the fight gets broken up, Kemp is seen mouthing “don’t fucking touch me” repeatedly at Bud Black.

A bit later some people popped onto the field and started arguing again. After some walking around, Kemp mouthes “that’s fucking bullshit!” repeated to the umps. He seems to get thrown out. Capuano comes in and replaces Greinke, who is “out with injury”. The whole stadium is chanting “fuck the Dodgers”. Vin Scully mentions that they got another series in LA between the two teams this coming Monday.

And obviously I think Greinke is the fucking retard here. For starters a 100M+ pitcher don’t retaliate. Injuries ain’t fun. Also, even IF that pitch at Kemp was on purpose (I think not), don’t hit Quentin, a guy who already sat out last game from getting hit. Kemp is also being a retard. Why the fuck would they try to hit a guy on 0-2 count? And I don’t recall Marquis having a rep as head hunter.

• Bob Buttons says:

Greinke shoulder-blocked with his left shoulder and was on the ground for a while.

• And in merrie olde England says:

I was watching it and couldn’t believe it.

Matt Kemp had a pitch over his head early on, Greinke hit Quentin for the third time in his career and then started mouthing off at Quentin who charged the mound, Greinke took the charge, bounced off him and broke his left collarbone.

Benches emptied, arms and legs everywhere, bullpens arrive. Matt Kemp losing his shit all over the place. All calms down then LA’s Hairston charges the Pad’s dugout and it starts going off again! Crowd were apparently brawling as well?

Just read on twitter that Kemp and Quentin had to be pulled apart in the players car park! I thought war was being declared in Korea not CA?! Pad’s are going to the Dodgers next week as well..!

11. Joba's 'Stache says:

DePaula drilled one of the batters square in the forehead and the ball bounced behind the plate and rolled down the first base line. Fortunately there was a helmet between skin and bone but the batter was pretty shook up and after a check up, they sent him to the bench and brought out a pinch runner. He then almost nailed another guy but, upon review of the photos, it was a wide ball and the batter was just shook up and not taking chances…

• your mom says:

How is it that the batter had a helmet between skin and bone? Is that the new surgically implanted baseball helmet?

• YankeeGrunt says:

Was this in the first inning, prior to his recording an out? Following on the Gamecast it looked like he had a hit and three walks before he retired a batter, then K’ed three in a row. Is that what happened?

12. Samuel says:

Well, it’s certainly not the worst arm action I have ever seen, but his elbow is way too far high up. This kid will likely have shoulder issues down the road.

• CS Yankee says:

Thanks for the clip…

Seems that he is one of those pitchers that pulls his throwing shoulder back to load and i’ve seen undersized (or thin) LL-HS kids use this as they think it increases velocity as it creates a longer whip. I believe it creates strain on the shoulder and also lets the batter see your grip (on certain pitches).

He might be poised to be the next knuckle-dragger ROOGY as a lot of these unconventional guys experiment until they get results.

• Rick says:

Enough with this crap. You’re not a pitching coach or a doctor. Even if you were, you couldn’t possibly make that BS assessment. Just stop it already.

13. Vespasian Clark says:

I was at the Thunder game last night, and Heathcott’s triple in the 11th might’ve been stretched into an inside-the-park homer had he been running full tilt all the way through. He’d already legged out an infield single in the first; he had slowed into second on his hit in the 11th. The center fielder dove for the ball, missed it, and the left fielder was fielding from off the wall. Even though he basically stood on second for two seconds, he slid in a moment before the throw reached third. He’s super fast, and I’m hoping he does leg one out during one of my package games. He reminds me of Gardner with more line drive power, homer potential.

• John C says:

What did you think of Nuding? Didn’t get a chance to see him in ST. Any idea what his velocity is?

• Vespasian Clark says:

Nuding looked pretty good over the six, his only run came off a homer that just made it over the line in left (though they say the park depresses hitting with the river next to it & the wind coming off it). Their radar readings were basically non-existent; the scoreboard kept showing 3-8 mph when no one was on the field, but I think he hit 90-91, hanging around 88-89 on the fastball. He pounded the zone low, had a little bit of trouble getting strikes at the knees, but he only walked the 2 and the 6 hits were spread out so I don’t think he had more than 2 guys get past second base (other than the homer). But the way Richmond was hitting the bullpen, I think he’s got some decent stuff.

14. FLYER7 says:

Has Culver moved back to prospect from suspect?

15. Wayne says:

What are the odds zach nuding gets called up this year?

16. Wayne says:

What age does cito culver turn this year? When does nik turley pitch again?

17. Preston says:

Slade Heathcott finally doing Slade Heathcotty things!