Apr

Game Nine: More Rain

(AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

(AP Photo/Tony Dejak)

The Yankees and Indians were rained out last night, and unfortunately tonight’s forecast isn’t looking any better. If anything, it actually looks worse. Timing is everything though, so maybe the rain will hold off long enough for them to squeeze the game in before returning back to New York.

Because the Yankees do not make another trip to Cleveland this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if they waited as long as possible to get this game in. Remember two or three years ago when that game against the Orioles started at like, 11:45pm ET? Something like that. Then again, it is only April, maybe they won’t wait around as long and instead worry about the scheduling later. I just don’t want an older roster to lose too many precious off-days during the summer. On the other hand, every game postponed this month is one fewer game the Yankees will have to play without Derek Jeter, Curtis Granderson, Mark Teixeira et al. Here’s the starting lineup…

1. CF Brett Gardner
  2. 2B Robinson Cano
  3. 3B Kevin Youkilis
  4. DH Travis Hafner
  5. LF Vernon Wells
  6. RF Ichiro Suzuki
  7. SS Eduardo Nunez
  8. 1B Lyle Overbay
  9. C Frankie Cervelli

And on the mound is the one-time All-Star, Phil Hughes.

Tonight’s game is scheduled to start a little after 7pm ET but the rain, blah blah blah yadda yadda yadda. You can watch this one on YES locally and MLB Network nationally whenever it does begin. Enjoy.

Rotation Update: The Yankees have already sent CC Sabathia, Hiroki Kuroda, and Andy Pettitte back to New York so they wouldn’t have to wait around for the rain with the rest of the team in Cleveland. The trio is scheduled to start against the Orioles this weekend.

Mark Teixeira Update: Teixeira and his injured wrist will be re-evaluated tomorrow and he hopes to be cleared to swing a bat. If he is, he’ll start with a fungo bat and gradually work his way up. He’s optimistic he’ll be able to take full batting practice next week and play in Extended Spring training soon thereafter.

Update (6:39pm): The game will not start on time, it was just announced. It hasn’t started raining yet in Cleveland, but it will soon. No word on a tentative start time. This … might be a while.

Update (8:07pm): They’re saying the game will start at 8:30pm ET.

Update (8:34pm): Apparently the ceremonial first pitch has been thrown and the lineups have been announced, but the tarp is still on the field. Okay then.

Update (8:55pm): Indians closer Chris Perez said the game has been postponed on Twitter. No official word yet.

Update (9:02pm): Yep, the game has officially been postponed. Same deal as yesterday’s game, meaning no word on a makeup date.

Categories : Game Threads

1. Pasta says:

Please dont rush teixera i cant take a reinjure report.
    Jeter and grandy will make this line up crank soon enough.

2. Pasta says:

Rain out
    Not a bad thing will have a better line for make up games

• Winter says:

For anyone confused by Pasta’s comment, afaik the game hasn’t been postponed. He’s just commenting about if it’s rained out.

Unless he has inside info that’s not online.

3. Joltin' Joe says:

I understand why teams don’t like weekday matinees but they make sense early in the year.

4. Havok9120 says:

I remain optimistic- fanatically so- that they’ll get the game in. The weather report actually makes it seem doable.

5. Eddard says:

Just when the club was gaining momentum this had to happen two days in a row. They could have went into the Os series on a 5 game win streak with how the bats have come alive against bad Indians pitching.

6. Havok9120 says:

If the weather channel has it anywhere near right at the moment they’ll get the game in. Supposed to start raining around now, clear up before 7:45, then not start up again until 9 (35% chance) and clear up within 20 minutes for the rest of the night.

Here’s hoping they’re correct.

7. Eddard says:

I said before that by late May we’ll have Jeter, Teixera and Granderson back and I believe it. Teixera thinks he’ll be playing in games in 2 weeks so certainly he’ll be back by late May unless there’s a setback. Granderson will be back in early May. Jete’s already running and fielding, he’ll be back before we know it.

8. McLovin says:

At least the Knicks play tonight if it gets postponed.

9. RetroRob says:

Rain. A key enabler of life. Bah!

10. Havok9120 says:

So….how ’bout that Josh Johnson start today?

• jjyank says:

Funny how so many people thought they were just so awesome and locks to win the division. Early in the season and SSS and all, but the Jays are now in sole possession of last place. So, suck it. Go Yanks.

• Havok9120 says:

It leaves me wishing that I’d watched some of their games so I could see if it was a case of bad luck/slumping or if their guys just look as lost as the SSS stats indicate.

• jjyank says:

I haven’t watched either. But it’s hard to call the Dickey and Johnson starts bad luck by looking at those lines.

• Havok9120 says:

Yeah, but neither of them looked THAT bad the first time out. Or in ST from what I understood.

It’s entirely possible that they both just look lost and overmatched but I’ll lean toward it being SSS noise for at least one more turn through the rotation.

• MannyGeee says:

In fairness they weren’t facing real life big leaguers in March.

11. McLovin says:

Can anyone name every year the Yankees have won the world series by heart?

12. wheels says:

Oh well, there is The Masters to watch.

13. Bob Buttons says:

Well this is bloody nice. I get like maybe 20 regularly scheduled Yanks games a year (waaay out of market here) and two of them gets rained out.

• jjyank says:

Not springing for MLB.TV?

• Bob Buttons says:

My computer is a tad old so it can’t handle me doing something else other than stream a game, and my attention span is too short to do nothing but sit and watch something for three hours. So until I get a computer that can take the heat (somewhat literally) I will only buy MLB.tv if there’s a september discount campaign during a tight pennant race for the Yanks. (Last year for example).

• jjyank says:

Fair enough. This makes me love my xbox so much. Yay multitasking.

• Havok9120 says:

My computer (any of them) could handle it…but my apartment’s internet can’t. Boo.

Sub-legal means it is.

• jjyank says:

That’s lame. And also not an option for me, so I’m glad my internet is good.

• Bob Buttons says:

There used to be free online radio feeds for the Yanks (better than nothing) but unfortunately I’m out of market for those too.

• Havok9120 says:

So am I. Can’t say I miss having to listen to Ma and Pa Pinstripe though.

• trr says:

LMAO! thanks 4 that one Havok

• Bob Buttons says:

Better them than waiting anxiously while looking at MLB game day.

• Havok9120 says:

That’s very true. I’m glad I can usually avoid that, too.

Worst case scenario there are roughly…seventy-eight bars within 5 minutes walk of my apartment and I can always get the game at one of them if none of my other sources come through for me.

• Bob Buttons says:

I’m in a worser position. Other than the fact that I live in the sub-urbs with little night-life, I live in an enemy territory that also prefers other sports over baseball.

Oh well, I’d never get anything done between 7 and 10 if there’s a Yanks games on TV daily. Lucky me, in a way.

14. The Real Greg says:

That radar did not look promising. There’s a big storm band going their way

• Havok9120 says:

It’s actually going directly north at the moment, which should give them an opening within the next hour that will last awhile (’till after midnight).

We’ll see.

• The Real Greg says:

Didn’t look that way to me. Looked like it was going a bit northeast. Not totally in line with Cleveland, but it looked in that direction.

15. trr says:

hate to see the rain, especially when we’re rollin’
    and this series sure was feeling like it might’ve been a 4 game sweep, wasn’t it?

16. Bob Buttons says:

A bit off-topic, but since game isn’t starting soon, Josh Johnson got rocked today. By my personal count, so far this season, Johnson, Buerhle, Dickey and Morrow all got rocked at least once. Great time for some schadenfreude.

• MannyGeee says:

I am thinking they are not NEARLY as bad of a pitching staff as their April has let on, however somewhere between the SSS and thier lofty expectations as the best in the history of forever…. Is a pitching staff full of Ryan Dempsters.

Would you go all in on a rotation full of Ryan Dempsters? Yeah, me neither.

• Bob Buttons says:

I’d say their rotation is above average at best. And with their weak-ass hitting, I think there’s a sizable chance that they don’t even make it to the playoffs.

I mean, look how the big three in Philadelphia are doing. And their lineup was much more potent than Lawrie+Reyes+Bautista+Encarnacion.

• MannyGeee says:

Above average is a MAJOR stretch. Buerhle is consistent but won’t wow your pants off, and Dickey/Josh Johnson are the epitomy of banking on lottery tickets. Johnson CANNOT stay healthy, so much so that I dont’t remember seeing him in “good mode”… and nothing scares me about a knuckleballer in the AL East.

17. Eddard says:

So we’re playing ball! Great news. Pick up another W against a weak team and head back to face the Os.

18. MannyGeee says:

So with the game on a rain delay, I walked away from the set and let my family catch up on back episodes of The Voice (nopenopenopenopenope). Boy, are they gonna be pissed when (if) the game starts and they get thrown off.

On another note, I need to know has there ever been a make up double header? Is that even a thing?

19. Kramerica Industries says:

You know, now I’m wracking my head to remember what Baltimore game Mike is talking about.

Even my photographic memory is failing me here. I don’t remember this.

20. Havok9120 says:

Boom. Game on for 8:30.

Time to freshen my drink in preparation.

21. Tom says:

The scheduling is ridiculous, whether or not they get this game in.

Having a series where it is the only visit of the year to a bad weather city in April is just poor scheduling. Doing it twice within the first 10 games on the schedule is doubling down on the foolishness -the Yankees were fortunate there was no weather issues in the DET series.

For a one time visit, early in the year and potential bad weather – at a minimum MLB should put in an off day after the series. The better bet would be to have the city that has multiple series that season be the one that does the early games (so at worst they could do a double header later without extra travel).

Either that or have more divisional games early as there usually is a better chance to make up those games on a day after or before a future series.

While rainouts happen and aren’t preventable, the scheduling can be done in a way to account for the possibility and make it far less impactful. Not counting the standard day off after opening day, the Yankees had one off day scheduled in Apr.

/end rant

• MannyGeee says:

FWIW, I would rather they get screwed up in April then have to be in Cleveland in midge season.

• Tom says:

Only 6-7 games against the AL Central teams? Thought it was usually 10 (3 series) . Must be the interleague impact I guess.

With only one series in each city, MLB is just rolling the dice early on when there are no off days built in.

• Havok9120 says:

Even if it IS three series, it’s possible that this is the year in which two of them are in NY. At which point we’d be in the same situation.

• Havok9120 says:

While I certainly agree on the surface, I really don’t have any idea what kind of arcane processes go into forging a 30 team, 162 game schedule. So I’m not really gonna complain that they should do “better,” at least not as long as the divisional system exists.

• Bob Buttons says:

FWIW there’s actually a rule prohibiting a team going 23 days without an off-day, as per wikipedia’s article on double headers.

• Laz says:

Cleveland isn’t nearly as bad as it being a west coast city they would have to fly out for. Cleveland is easy stopover from Detroit, Chicago, Minnesota, etc is they have an off day.

22. MannyGeee says:

In hopes for a sweep, I offer you a Cleveland based sacrifice. Here we go (I know its old as shit, but it is my absolute favorite thing on Youtube. I laugh every time I see it):

23. Kramerica Industries says:

Not to brag, but regarding what Pat claimed he can do earlier…

I can do the same thing, and have been able to do that since I was in middle school. Furthermore, I can name how many games lasted in each series. I stop short when it comes to game-by-game scores and World Series MVP’s, however.

• Pat D says:

Waiting for it…

• MannyGeee says:

hahaha…

• Kramerica Industries says:

I’m not kidding. It actually spooked people in the past that they would mention, say, 1969, and I’d answer by saying Mets in five over the Orioles.

Or 1940 – Reds over Tigers in seven.

Or 1983 – O’s over Phillies in five.

Or 1908 – Cubs over Tigers in five.

• Havok9120 says:

I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised people can do this given the historical trivia I can rattle off at need.

• Bob Buttons says:

Errmm… Umm… I could do European capitals and countries… I feel stupid.

• dkidd says:

1947

Go!

• Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

My Uncle can name the batting average, home runs, OBP, slugging percentage, strikeouts, career ERAs, walks, and IP of every single player in the HOF. I’m not kidding. I’ve tested him on it.

• Kramerica Industries says:

There was a book I received as a gift in July of 2004.

Seriously, the most amazing baseball encyclopedia I have ever read. I read that book on a daily basis for at least a solid year. I haven’t read it too much in recent times (though I still have it handy, literally three steps away from where I’m typing this comment), but I learned a ton from it. Also gives me a stronger appreciation for the Timmy Kurkjian’s of the world, an outstanding journalist who deserves better than the garbage of ESPN. We as baseball fans need to cherish having people like Kurkjian out there, who are literally living embodiment’s of baseball history through all the research they have done on the sport.

That said – I can’t match your uncle’s feat (yet). That’s just a tad bit too absurd.

24. YankeesJunkie says:

Prediction on Hughes line: 6 IP 6 H 2 BB 5 K 2 ER

25. Pat D says:

I’m worried that by the time Iron Man 3 is actually released I won’t want to see it because of that FIOS commercial.

26. Eddard says:

So now they’re not starting at 8:30? What the hell is going on?

27. Havok9120 says:

This is pretty good stuff now. No one has any idea what’s going on.

28. wheels says:

YES running a Centerstage episode with PJ Carlesimo. Not a good sign.

29. MannyGeee says:

Back to MLB Now… Excuse me, I am going to go mix meself a bleach cocktail

30. ClusterDuck says:

Radar looks like crap. I don’t see much of a window.

31. Bo Knows says:

De Paula had nothing today, he lasted two innings (because he walked a ton of guys) one hit, 4 walks (three in the first inning) on 55 pitches the vast majority were balls he gave up two runs both in the first inning, he also hit a batter and threw a wild pitch.

bright side, he still managed to strikeout 5 batters. He’ll get a mulligan from me because it’s becoming obvious that the only thing that is actually a threat to him at this level, is his own mechanics.

The actual breakdown was that he walked 3 straight batters, and it wasn’t until the third batter that he threw his first two strikes. He then struck out the next three batters. In the second inning he struck out two, induced a groundout but he also hit a batter

32. Improbable Island's Dirty Midget Whores (formerly RRR) says:

Prediction: Hughes perfect game, 1-0 win in 14 innings, 38 strikeouts. And he’ll be REALLY pissed about that broken bat groundout by the last batter in the 14th too.

Also, three pitches per at-bat, except for the final batter. He took one pitch.

Then, after the game ends, Hughes retires from baseball forever, having accomplished a feat he would never be able to top. The baseball world mourns, but respects his decision.

The End.

33. McLovin says:

So is there a game today?

34. Pat D says:

April Fucking Showers.

OK, that commercial for Surface Pro or whatever it is…everyone involved with the concept, development, and making of it needs to be killed. Brutally killed. In front of their loved ones. On cable TV. Live.

35. Eddard says:

Cleveland better hope it’s ballclub is managed better than this rain delay. They said they were starting at 8:30, announced the lineups, threw out the first pitch but never intended on starting the game. What a bunch of clowns.

36. Candy says:

I guess the game is about to get rained out again. And its supposed to rain tomorrow here in NYC.

37. MannyGeee says:

just called it, i see.

38. MannyGeee says:

Also, Sergio Romo with 6th save on the season so far. Someone let Dalek Jeter know. (Facing him in Fantasy this week)

39. JLC 776 says:

Fracking momentum killing rain outs…

40. Big Member says:

i recieved an update report from one of my inside sauces that the game may be called because indians closer tweeted that “they banged it”. however im prety sure that that tweet can mean a variety of things and really has nothing to do with the state of the rain dealay. its more likely something hapening in indians bullpen

i will keep everyone updated

41. JRod says:

So now we have to go back there in September or something and play a doubleheader? You know they’re going to try and reschedule it during midge season. Can’t we just send SWB to play them?

42. OldYanksFan says:

Holy shit!
    Could this mean TWO separate trips to Cleveland to make up these games??? That would be brutal.

43. Jared says:

Im for the rain out. Hopefully we can use the makeups as potential slump busters, or keep a hot winning streak going vs a weak indians team…

• MannyGeee says:

Be careful what you wish for. They might have their shit together by then

• Havok9120 says:

I’d much rather have banked another win or two (which I have to think we would have done) now rather than hope the makeups are strategically located enough, purely by chance, to help us out later.

• MannyGeee says:

Also, a non-zero chance you will want to get your old guys some rest on the off days instead of making them play a meaningless game against the Tribe. So the fallacy of the predetermined outcome here when your starting 9 will be mediocre… Well, more mediocre.

• Kramerica Industries says:

Yankees had won their last won their last three games by a combined tally of 32-7.

You want to keep that kind of momentum going.

44. Get Phelps Up says:

2 rainouts in the past 2 days is better than missing 2 games in the past 2 days.

/selfish

• forensic says:

I don’t know what I would do without my DVR. I start work when they start normal night games, so it’s radio (if I’m not out) and then catch up on it after work or later in the week.

• Get Phelps Up says:

I’m not a DVR person for any sort of sporting event. If I can’t watch a game I’m happy with Sterling or gameday on my phone. Although this season I’ve only watched 3 games start to finish. That should change in a few weeks though so yay.

• Bob Buttons says:

I hiss at you, good sir.