Apr

Jeter scales back rehab work in Tampa

Via the AP: Derek Jeter has scaled back his workload has he rehabs from left ankle surgery/setback in Tampa. He took five rounds of batting practice in addition to fielding 21 ground balls and running in straight line yesterday, compared to fielding many more balls and running the bases last week.

Jeter, 38, did not do any rehab work over the weekend, which Brian Cashman confirmed to Andrew Marchand was planned. I don’t think this qualifies as a setback since he’s still doing some baseball activity, but it’s not terribly encouraging that the Cap’n had to reduce his work lately. I think we’ve all been expecting him to ramp it up a little more, if anything. Either way, it sounds like Jeter is still a long ways off from returning, and that’s not good news.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. dkidd says:

over/under number of at-bats this year

i’m going with 350

2. FEED.ME.MORE! says:

So long as Nunez stops getting hit by pitches, I don’t think we are in any dire circumstances at SS.

That being said, it would def help having Jeter, especially against LHP. You could DH him and have Nunez play short.

See you in June Cap’n.

3. jsbrendog says:

is this the end
    my only friend
    the end?

• gageagainstthemachine says:

let’s hope he doesn’t go out like Jim Morrison…

• Kevin M. says:

It’s not crazy to think he could miss the whole year at this point. And if that happens is his career over?

• The Real Me says:

It may not be crazy, but I think it’s certainly a stretch. With that small chance, I doubt he wants to go out like that (similar to Mariano). I suspect he’d be back next year if that very small chance comes about.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Yeah. Pretty much. He missed an extended period and you all can bet your sweet asses he’s back next season.

4. MannyGeee says:

You know I’m not a Doom & Gloom sort of guy…. I think I have made this clear in my distinct history on this site.

But damn man. This makes me nervous. I have had pretty close to an impacted ass-full of Jayson Nix at the spot, and the fact that Nunie cant seem to stay on the field doesn’t help matters (albeit all kinds of fluke injuries).

Also a first, I am pining for Eduardo Nunez. I think I am moving to EddardWorld.

5. trr says:

Not the best news, obviously. We need more organizational depth at SS.

6. Eddard says:

It’s times like these that we realize how lucky we are to have a sure handed backup like Eduardo Nuney. Nix can’t field and does next to nothing on offense. Even Mo Rivera was giving him a dirty look last game in the 9th inning. Hopefully Nuney is back at SS tonight. We need his bat and glove.

• jsbrendog says:

surehanded? what are you smoking and do they deliver?

• And in merrie olde England says:

Have to agree with surehanded, always thought the issue was his arm not his hands. Saying that even the arm is coming round with zero errors so far (SSS). Even Mike has apparently downgraded Nunez’s status to DEFCON3, “shaky” is a massive improvement from some of the stuff that’s deservedly been written. If only he could figure out how to be a ball magnet just on defence.

• trr says:

surehanded?
      is this sarcasm?

• Luis Castillo (Not the one who dropped the ball) says:

Sure handed?

Ohh Eddard you rock my world.

7. Andrew says:

I’m curious to know how a report of one day’s activities of doing a bunch of BP + some running qualifies as scaling back an entire rehab program or something like what is being phrased here as ‘bad news’. Because it was “less than some days last week”? How is this a clear indication of some sort of necessary slow-down in rehab? There is no Yankees person or even anonymous Yankees source listed as saying he’s needed to scale back his program due to more discomfort, lack of progress, etc. Because he had 2 days off and didn’t immediately take 1,000 grounders and 500 rounds of BP yesterday, it equals a full-on scaling back…I’m going to go ahead and cast some doubt on the medical/rehab expertise at play here and wait for some sort of actual report on him needing to slow things down for physical reasons, as opposed to this being a concerted part of their second version of his rehab plan. This reads as a bit of a premature jump to me.

8. chris says:

This proves the point that the Yankees should of gotten a legit back up ss in case this might happen..I thought even if he came back on time he was going to dh a lot…nix can play a lot of positions but not too well and hes got no bat…

• pat says:

A legit backup SS like who?

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Well, Scutaro’s name came up last year when Arod’s hip went out.

• CP says:

He signed a 3 year/$20M contract with the Giants. Is he really that much better than Nix and/or Nunez? And would he have even signed with the Yankees, considering that it was assumed (and still is) that Jeter would be back at some point early in the season?

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Pat wanted to know who was a real SS available via FA or trade, and there’s one.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

Scutaro would have been a very good addition, but not at three years.

I’m fine, for now, with Nunez starting and Nix backing up. The Nix hate is a bit too much. He’s our third-string shortstop. Maybe we just need to stand him next to Gil Velazquez more in order for him to look more attractive. Works for some chicks.

• pat says:

A 7 million dollar backup infielder? That’s a first.

• Mandy Stankiewicz says:

Like our soon to be two platooned OF’s making a combined 4 years 28 Million dollars? Not here.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

You’re……combining years? It doesn’t work that way. They both exit stage right at the same time.

• Rick says:

Our back-up SS played the other day. His name is Robinson Cano. The real problem is not having a back-up catcher, shoulda re-signed Martin because Chris Stewart sucks.

• pat says:

Backup C making 8.5 a year? Lol no thanks.

• Rick says:

Could not agree with you more. My prior sarcasm aside, others on this site will fight you to the death over this.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

And Cervelli’s your backup at second. Right.

Mariano for fifth outfielder as well?

• Rick says:

100%. Saw the way Cervelli went back on a ball prior to being called off, it was not pretty. Really wanted to see Robbie get a chance to make a play at short though.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d love to have seen a double play get turned.

Perhaps if Jeter really is going to be out for a while, you look and see if there’s utility help on the market, especially if this goes into the summer. For now, though, Nix usually will not embarrass himself defensively and isn’t the complete non-zero he’s made out to be at the bat. The bar for “Option C” isn’t supposed to be that high.

• trr says:

he is better than Nix/ Nunez.
          THAT much better? well….

• trr says:

So does Ricky Martin

• Havok9120 says:

You’re talking about a player that does not exist. Or, if he does, he’s not available.

9. Jonathan says:

I get to see them 3-4 times a year. This year in KC for 3 years on May 10-12th. So no Jeter/Teixeira/ARod and probably Granderson. Hooray. At least I got to see Rivera blow his knee out last year….oh wait. I can only fathom the Royals fans this year….I’ve been all over and they are HANDS DOWN the worst fans (like chanting steroids while Andy pitched to their Jose Guillen…). They talk the most shit, know the least about their team/visiting team and baseball in general and are usually shit canned and only came as an “event” instead of to see a baseball game. The problem is they come in waves. The first 1-4 innings are handled by the drunks who only showed up for the start then go to the club/bar for the night. The 5+ innings are the idiots who have been drinking since 3 in the parking lot. If the Yankees are up 3+ you’re safe in the 8th and 9th because they all left. The best time I ever saw was when they dropped 10 runs in the 8th while down 4-2 when the fans were at their all time worst. By the end of the 8th there wasn’t a Royals fan left.

• Guns says:

Yeah they really got under my skin during the HR Derby. It was so silly the way they acted. I can’t imagine rooting for a player to fail during an exhibition. And they acted as if they achieved some great victory. Meanwhile, Robbie goes on to have another MVP type season.

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I wonder how indicative that is of teams that haven’t achieved a whole lot in years and aren’t northeast teams like the Orioles.

10. mitch says:

If there is a silver-lining in this, i think the possibility of Jeter opting out after the season for a bigger contract is basically zero.

• The Real Me says:

Not yet. Certainly plenty of time for him to come back and play strong. Maybe it’s mid-May or even June, but there’s plenty of time left in the season even then.

• Rick says:

I think this goes both ways though. Since his contract was signed “pre-budget” the team may now be hoping that he opts out. While a very reduced salary, if the team truly believed Eduardo Scissorhands was the answer then they may have very well let him walk. Not saying they would have, but the other side is worth exploring.

• mt says:

I would like to believe that but I feel he would have to be out longer before he would definitively not opt-out – if he comes back in May and does OK for rest of year, I can see him still opting out at end of year .

Why not? He can just be one more free agent to add to the current Yankee list of 12 or so (Hughes, Chamberlain, Logan, Rivera (retiring), Pettite, Kuroda, Hafner, Youkilis, Nix, Overbay, Francisco, Granderson, and the big kahuna Cano)

• Vern Sneaker says:

I’d be very surprised if he opted-out. Maybe retire if it turns out he is totally unable to play, but to leave the Yanks? Doubt it. And who’s going to pay more than the $8 million he’d make with the Yanks at his age, even if he can still perform adequately?

• Robinson Tilapia says:

I’d rather have him healthy and playing.

11. John C says:

Where have you gone Robert Eenhorn?

12. Phil says:

Well between Tex, Grandy and Jeter maybe we will be waiting for Jeter’s return the longest. Where is Jim Mason or Alviro Espinosa?

13. Thread says:

It’s really amazing how long he’s been playing at a high level. Hopefully he can continue for a few more seasons.

14. LarryM Fl says:

IMHO, this is not good. A professional athlete, age 39, is attempting to rehab an injury which was described as more football type than baseball with bone, ligaments and tendons involved. We may see Jeter before Arod but not before June. It is a shame. When he does make it back. I expect he will be more of a part time fielder but supplement his playing time as a DH.

Gardener has inflammation of the elbow and played 9 games last year. There is no comparison of injuries but just saying. One appears more severe than the other.

Hurry up Eduardo get back in the lineup.

15. Pistol pete says:

Does not sound good. A 39 year old SS coming off a major bone break and tendon injury. The SS position is going to be far too demanding for Derek. The Yanks may use him as a DH but it looks like this injury is going to force the greatest SS in Yankee history and one of if not the greatest shortstops of all time to retire. If he and Mo retire together there should be a movement among writers to have these two enter the Hall of Fame as not only first ballot choices but unanimous 100 percent of ballot choices, who could possibly argue with that.