May

Cashman confirms Pineda hit mid-90s in Extended Spring Training outing

During a conference call this afternoon, Brian Cashman confirmed rehabbing right-hander Michael Pineda showed mid-90s velocity during an Extended Spring Training game today. “He pitched at 93 and was up to 95,” said the GM. “A good physical day.”

Two important pieces of news here: One, Pineda is pitching in actual games. ExST doesn’t start his official 30-day rehab window, but it shows he’s graduated from live batting practice and simulated games to real live games. Two, holy crap velocity. Pineda is one year and one day out from shoulder surgery, and he’s showing similar heat to the 94.2 mph he averaged with the Mariners in 2011. Overwhelmingly good news even if his return is nowhere close to imminent.

Categories : Asides, Injuries

1. Robinson Tilapia says:

And I now have a massive boner.

2. KingFelix says:

I’ll believe it when I see it.

3. Bill says:

seems too good to be true, and if Campos is still only 90% and striking out 7 in 3 innings the Yankees might end up winning this deal in the end. Especially Montero seems lost at the plate

4. JW says:

Time for a new article, Mike: “Michael Pineda and (hopefully) rational optimism” . . .

5. LK says:

Yeah so this is awesome.

6. BeanTooth says:

It’s the last item in a list of injury updates on LoHud. Talk about burying your lead.

7. Stratman9652 says:

As long as he stays away from trampolines he should be fine.

8. Logan says:

I don’t trust XST gun readings…want jobs hitting 100 last year on his way back from the ankle, and then when he got to NY, it was low 90′s?

Like someone else said, I’ll believe it when I see it (both the velocity and the boner

• Govin says:

If memory serve correct Joba did only throw in the low nineties his first game back, but that was because the hill was wet. I believe he threw harder in subsequent games.

• Greg says:

yeah, that low 90s outing was clearly an isolated incident. Joba’s velocity always varies pretty significantly from game to game, which is not unusual for relievers.

I don’t know that I’d write off WST radar guns as a whole based on that.

• Havok9120 says:

But it lets him not believe any positive news.

After all, nobody likes to hear positive news.

• radnom says:

Good point, no one should ever think critically about what they are hearing unless the it regards negative news.

• Steve (different one) says:

“I don’t believe the radar gun” based on flimsy anecdotal evidence is not “thinking critically”.

• Logan says:

But blindly believing the radar gun when it has proven to be outrightly wrong in the past is somehow rational?

I don’t see how saying “let’s wait and see” is worse than getting a boner over information that may very well be false

• Jim Is Bored says:

Yep. It’s amazing how people think that “thinking critically” only involves negativity.

And by amazing, I mean a terrible statement about society and people’s intelligence.

• Bo Knows says:

Joba never hit 100 last year even in when during his rehab, I do recall it saying he did hit 98, and he actually did hit 97-98 a few times last year.

9. I Busted that Posey says:

Good news to hear…

Now I need about eight more players to hear good news on.

10. Rubano says:

2016 Rotation:

Pineda
    CC
    Phil
    Manny
    Campos

I rikeeee

• jsbrendog says:

optimism.

realism – hughes is gone after this year and lets be honest, manny will never put it together/stay healthy/not suck.

cc
      pineda
      campos
      2 stupid dogs

works for me

• Greg says:

Jose Ramirez is a better bet than Campos

• jsbrendog says:

cc
          pineda
          depaula
          ramirez
          campos

“‘Cause I’m hung up on dreams I’ll never see, yeah Baby.
          Ahh help me baby, or this will surely be the end of me, yeah.”

• Bo Knows says:

I love how “realism” has become a term for “let’s say the most negative stuff I can”

Banuelos is 22 and outside of his appendectomy never had any kind of injury until last year; its a little early to write him off.

Phil Hughes has a good chance staying with the team, especially considering that both Andy and Kuroda could be retiring this year he’s the youngest and essentially the best option of all the FA pitchers as well.

• AndrewYF says:

Plus, they’re abandoning the salary cap plan, so there’s no reason they can’t retain Hughes, unless he demands something ridiculous like $15-16M a year.

11. trr says:

Yes, Good News!
    You know we’ll be looking for more arms by mid-season

12. jjyank says:

Great to hear. I’m really excited to actually watch this guy pitch after everything that we’ve been through over the past ~14 months with him.

13. Get Phelps Up says:

Great! As I’ve said before, I am probably rooting for Pineda more than any other Yankee.

14. Greg says:

I think the ratio of young pitchers to successful MLB pitchers must be in the order of 10:1.

15. SeventhAce says:

In the midst of all these injury news, this is a breath of fresh air.